One Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Sanjay Baskaran
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "One Technologies is family friendly and provide the greatest benefit of work-life balance" (in 16 reviews)

• "We get a week off at Christmas (paid) and there are company trips, which are not guaranteed but seem to take place every year or so" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also, your work doesn't matter at all, if you are not brown nosing enough, be prepared to NOT be liked by your manager" (in 5 reviews)

• "Upper management afraid to make bigger business plays that move out of their comfort zone" (in 5 reviews)

"Great Company to work for and also to learn from some really smart people"

Former Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX

I worked at One Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The opportunity to try new things and grow the definition of your role are more present than any other company I have worked at. Working towards the team goal of growing the company is ever-present. Leadership meetings have a true focus on what is quantifiable and meaningful. All these things are foundational to a very stable business model

Cons

Without trying they have a Foodie culture with some very talented and competitive cooks bringing in food consistently. If you add the cakes and cookies that show up consistently in the 3 kitchen areas it can be very tough to keep the weight off.

Advice to Management

Good job making the hard decisions, stay on track with your plan. The ability to keep everyone focused will be the job going forward.

"Horrible Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at One Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great health benefits, company trip, 1 week free PTO Christmas.

Cons

Management - the upper management seem to have their blinds on and moving forward like nothings happened when 18% of the company's staff were let go 4th quarter of last year. The company recently let go of their CIO, Director and Sr Manager (Left on his own terms). People getting promoted with no merit for example an principal engineer getting promoted from their position to Sr Manager in a matter of a couple of months - really? Majority of positive reviews on here are more than likely from upper management so I wouldn't take their write ups at face value. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

Advice to Management

You're the problem if you don't know there are major issues within the company than you're not doing your job.

3. "Great experiance"

Former Employee - Facilities
    Former Employee - Facilities

I worked at One Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, welcomed and helped my time with the company greatly!

Cons

No cons to provide currently.

"Avoid this company"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at One Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits plan, a nice amount of vacation days provided, catered breakfast every Monday morning, etc.

Cons

OT recently hired a new CEO from Amazon and large changes are occurring, to the tune of 20% of the labor force being let go. In one week most of the IT Operations team from the CIO to the WINTEL team walked out the door (Jan 2019). OT knows how to spend money in all the wrong places. The company as a whole has two data centers in Dallas, one is so old that the equipment cant be placed under maintenance with any of the manufacturers. The other was deployed with different technologies so the two data centers can't sync data properly. Its a company full of DB and Agile people and none have a clue about the back-end solutions, and the management team is clueless as well. On the surface it looks like a great company, under the hood they have a ton of internal issues. They have built a culture around people trying to be so nice to each other that when a real " just fix it" conversation comes along people have their feelings hurt when you give them the direct answer to their questions. Finally, hope you like to play nice and be fake, because 25% of your review and salary raise is based on how well your peers like you. Its basically a popularity contest just like High School, only your pay is dependent upon it.

Advice to Management

Stop letting integrators and a few nut jobs run the entire asylum.

"Love it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at One Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture - Your coworkers actually care about you and your success. This is the most happy and supportive workplace I have experienced so far. So much so that the first week+ didn't seem real. I'd take the older reviews with a big grain of salt.

PTO/WFH - PTO is typical of most companies but you also get added extras like the time from Christmas to New Years, birthday etc. 1 day a week work from home policy is great and fairly flexible

Room to Grow - There's plenty of room to grow in your career, upwards or horizontally. I've never asked a question or proposed a new idea to a team different than mine and been met with anything but open arms. Management, in my experience, really does want to help you outline goals and steps forward.

Interesting/New Tech - There's really cool things going on here. I've worked at other places that consider themselves the best tech in the area - I'd have to politely disagree.

Supportive Environment - This goes back to culture but I have to emphasize it. People here care about you. They want you to learn + grow. They'll bring you tea if you're feeling sick. They ask how the family is. Little things like that matter in your day to day happiness.

Perks - In my experience the company has been generous. PTO/WFH as mentioned. Company trips, holiday gifts, breakfast on Mondays.

Cons

Change - we have had some upper management change recently. Not necessarily a con but if you're change adverse it may make you a little uncomfortable. I don't expect this to last long.

Advice to Management

Continue with transparency + trust. It is appreciated

"Na"

I worked at One Technologies full-time

Pros

Bonuses extra activities and contests

Cons

Environment people management delayed payments

7. "Good company, poor management in specific departments"

I worked at One Technologies full-time

Pros

Welcoming environment, great perks. Enjoyed the company and my role, management was an issue.

Cons

Leadership does not have management development courses. Individuals are promoted to leadership positions but do not receive the development needed to manage team members.

"It director"

I have been working at One Technologies full-time

Pros

Okay, liked the culture

Cons

Ramp up time and lack of leadership

9. "Data Scientist"

I have been working at One Technologies full-time

Pros

Wonderful team, strong technical support from data engineer, fun environment to explore the latest machine learning technologies

Cons

Lack of growth , trend of outsourcing work to external vendors

"It's stories like this that often times make people question OTs morals."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at One Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very unique culture not seen in most companies. Benefits are impeccable.
    I worked for OT for...let's just say a LONG TIME. Most people don’t get anywhere near my tenure. I was a very proud employee and had no desire to leave. I wasn't super popular there but I had no arguments, enemies, got along with and knew almost everyone and my time there and relationships were positive including with HR who's apparently getting hammered in some Glassdoor reviews. The only trouble I had was with one person who left the company 5 years earlier and they ended up looking like the jerk. My culture score was average even though I hated the idea. I did try to be positive about it by participating in discussions with the CEO on how to improve it.
    I would have stayed there indefinitely.
    So, how does a proud OT Manager get the boot?

Cons

Simply by hiring new management (directors/ VPs) and empire building. I'm not going to go into details here. I could do so by describing specific activities and quotes and the names would be known and it wouldn't surprise anyone. But we were let go and the newly promoted person brought in some friend(s). The sexists and insulting things this person told me in 1 on 1 situations were just wrong and they couldn't get me to laugh or agree. I think this insecure person just couldn't relate to, bully or control some of their newly inherited direct reports, all of who were long timers and just decided to cut off the heads of chickens to becomes the most tenured leader. So, get rid of the longest tenured and make it mine kind of attitude. We were the stronger personalities of the department. You can't have that when you need to own it all.

It was painful to see these people let go because they just didn't deserve it. They were proud OT employees and always got better than average performance reviews with all of their managers (not just 1) and even had high culture scores. The lack of questioning and intervention by HR over these moves hurt the most especially considering my relationship with them. Any areas of improvement for any of us are completely workable by any leader worth a damn. But in the end, they didn't give a crap. So, when some folks get shamed on these reviews, I do feel a sense of selfish schadenfreude.

I can be man enough and say I could have been more positive about some changes that were taking places. The problem is when new people come in and say how much of what we do and have done over years is crap and how everyone is wrong and how they are going to fix it, that doesn't give someone like me a positive feeling and desire to present their ideas positively or even more importantly come up with great ideas myself to make them look good. We did things the way we did as sanctioned by previous executives and budget. I didn't go around dumping on all of their new ideas after they arrived but carrying a rah-rah attitude about them was a bubble they burst for me earlier after their repeated negative verbal vomit.
    Good luck to those friendlies that are still there with whom I worked with. I think of you often and hope the best for you.
    I am now at peace...

Advice to Management

I wouldn't give advice. Not anymore. It took a long time for me to get to this feeling after being let go but I really don't care anymore. You figure it out.