One Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Henry

Pros
  • Company truly cares about work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• We get a week off at Christmas (paid) and there are company trips, which are not guaranteed but seem to take place every year or so (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • You get fired for not brown nosing certain upper management and for speaking up when you feel you've been mistreated (in 3 reviews)

• The business model, while once flourishing, is falling completely apart (in 3 reviews)

1. "I know I Help People Working Here - Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at One Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One Technologies is a great place to work. I have been at OT for some time. Yes, we have great benefits such as health, dental and 401K matching and yes, the company is committed to providing great work/life balance, but just as important the company, including the owners and senior management, are committed to helping customers understand their credit with free, live and unlimited call in support (no competitor offers that), the importance of building and maintaining their credit health and preventing identity theft. And this place NEVER sells customer info unlike competitors--this company is not out to scam consumers or take their money and provide little to no value. These reasons are why I stay.

Cons

The company culture here is very important, Make sure you fit in and are comfortable with a company-wide open door policy with few to no walls separating everyone or you will not last.

"They interviewed well, but there was little substance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at One Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are STELLAR and they gave all new hires an iPad and a desk decorating allowance once they finished onboarding. Also, the salary was pretty phenomenal. When I gave them a number they didn't flinch.

Cons

The business model is pretty shady. They are hedging their bets that people will forget to cancel their free trial and then they're on the hook for about $40/mo in credit monitoring. And then it's hard to cancel, too. You can't just click or email. You have to actually get someone on the phone and field their rescue pitches to get rid of the product. The FTC made an example of them a few years back for deceptive advertising practices, too. The fact that they're selling an overpriced product that Credit Karma gives away for free is just smarmy.

The other reviews are right about the brown-nosing, too. I made the most of my salary during my 3 month probation, and was only too eager to leave once I was fired at the end of it all. The team I was on operated like a freaking sorority and the VP was obsessed with stealing other people's ideas to look good, playing favorites, and wanting to be buddies with the team rather than a leader who could give constructive feedback when expectations aren't met. The team I was on also openly gossiped about other teams which was appalling since there aren't any walls separating the groups. Also, there's a peer rating process that's supposed to be anonymous, but if you rate any of your teammates poorly the VP will confront everyone until the culprit is found.

To top it ALL off, they tried to deny my unemployment claim saying I violated policy (untrue). So glad I'm gone and I'd happily tell anyone else who's considering them what a circus it was.

"This company is going nowhere FAST."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at One Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great medical and dental insurance. Probably the best you will ever find. Donuts/bagels on Mondays. Yearly company trip (apparently not until next year now). Free Starbucks brewed coffee, geat building and location. The idea of the company culture is awesome. On boarding for all employees to understand the roles of each department and a free iPad. If you finish on boarding there is a happy hour where you get to mingle and network with management. All hands meetings with the entire company to discuss the future of the company with free food and lights spirits (beer/wine).

Cons

Besides all the great things going on here for the organization as a whole, the problem lies at the top and has trinkled down in a negative way. As the company is currently needing to do better number wise, one would think that management issues would be the last problem we would have. The great benefits of working here and the love you have for you position will quickly disappear within the first year of employment.

Management in all departments are incredibly messy and have high school mentalities. I have often heard office gossip about their team members performance and what happened in meetings in breaks rooms and bathrooms. Management thinks that they are higher than others and will often speak down to you or act as if they are your friend only to stab you in the back. They are also known for whispering in groups about other people on their team which is weird considering we have no cubicles and are in an open environment. HR also compromised our W2's, barely assisted us with this and no one got fired. I didn't get to file until April. That shows you the true character of this company.
    The CEO basically advised us in a recent meeting that we weren't making enough money and made a deadline for another company trip based on raising the numbers. While I understand this mindset, with the current management issue that is not really a great move. Management is already putting all of the hard work on their teams (while writing them up for not meeting numbers) while they take extended breaks and basically do busy work outside of meetings. The previous reviews are correct and all of the VP's and up have weird secret meetings later in the day in the areas outside of the office. No growth at all and management will misconstrue your performance review as a reason to not give you a raise or promotion.

This environment is very toxic and discriminatory. I began going home stressed out everyday. Even if you speak with HR about management nothing will happen because they are all good friends outside of the office. Start trying to go above HR and you're sure to be fired. They will also deny your unemployment claim every step of the way. Stay away from this place if you are weak minded as someone else stated. Look elsewhere, your mental and emotional health isn't worth it.

Last thing, the product is a bit shady and they try to get the consumer to get stuck in a membership, and make it hard for them to cancel it. It is not innovative now that Experian and TransUnion offer the same services at a cheaper rate. Although the FTC as come down on them all, I'm sure they will get the issue resolved rather quickly instead of having the investigation re-opened like One Technologies.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be re arraigned. There are way too many "cliques" for this to be a corporate office filled with adults. Management is not diverse and is discriminatory against those that don't fit in with them or share their views or brown nose. HR needs to be re arraigned as well. Only one person actually makes it seem like she cares about helping you but is too nice to do something about it. Another HR rep will make it seem like she wants to help you and is playing the fence, meanwhile she will never go against her friends and will also never follow up with you regarding the complaint/investigation.

Although, they will probably still have their jobs sadly, they all (management and HR) needs to go through team building and leadership training because it is currently absent. Mark please step aside from the numbers for a second and look at the internal issues that are the true reason for the high turnover of this company.

"Best company I ever worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at One Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The majority of the people who work here are amazing. Smart, educated, hardworking people who want to learn and grow. I find that when we run into an obstacle people work hard to figure out the best way to solve it and rarely is it based on gut instinct. Usually everyone looks at the data to make decisions. The company provides good benefits and a relaxed open door environment. I am confused by some of the reviews that say the company is not ethical or does not value its employees. There is a yearly review process and I meet with my manager at least bi-weekly. The company does a complete legal review of everything that is put in front of a customer and we are industry leading in following compliance.

I have always felt that my skills have been valued and If I want to try something new I am provided the opportunity. I love that there is a way to provide feedback to all other employees on what it is like to work with them in addition to regular reviews. If someone is good at their job but, not easy to work with that feedback is provided.

Cons

The CEO is very involved with everything the company is doing but he seems to only talk to VP's and directors. This makes it more difficult for those that do the work to understand the direction initiatives are going as they get filtered by the time the information is presented. Those senior conversations are held in weird locations outside the building so it seems to be hypocritical of the open environment they want and all of the other leadership provides.

There has been some turnover recently but many of those people needed to leave as they were bad for the culture and had negative attitudes towards their jobs and the company. It does seem like some people used to coast in their jobs but they seem to be getting the message to move on even if they are trying to say they got laid off.

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to be more involved in communicating direction outside of senior management. When you as an employee talk to senior managers about direction they are always waiting for him to sign or provide direction. It would be helpful to empower them more.

"No Growth"

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at One Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People here really do care about their jobs which is always a good thing to be around at a company. It's a very relaxed environment, the holiday break between christmas and new years, and company trips make for a better than normal corporate environment.

Cons

I think the biggest issue facing the company is the product has been the same for years. There's really no innovation and the credit monitoring industry as a whole isn't growing. If anything it is just shrinking with so many credit card companies giving scores away for free as well as sites like Credit Karma. Even the credit bureaus seem like they aren't interested in promoting credit scores anymore. I also really didn't like the politics here. A lot of self serving executives all that vie for the CEO's attention. While i appreciate he is a decision maker sometimes it can be a bit of a Game of Thrones mentality.

Advice to Management

Find a way to innovate so the company and your employees can grow.

"I'd rather do an internship...non-paid"

Former Employee - Software Tester in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Software Tester in Dallas, TX

I worked at One Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the pros I can think of existed before the CEO gave up on the company somewhere around mid year 2015. Paid 5 day tropical vacations with spouse on charterded plane. 2 weeks of bonus pto/vacation days during December/Christmas holiday. Relaxed work environment. Approachable leadership. By the summer of 2015 most of these things had disappeared.

Cons

Leadership/executives who don't treat human beings with the respect they should. Lying and sabotage. Being fired for not brown nosing and pretty much conforming/not questioning management behavior and decisions to keep your job. Hostile work environment. Cliques.

Advice to Management

I made the most money I've ever made working here. I also met the best manager/supervisor I've ever had while I was working for this company. Needless to say, neither of us are there any longer. I started off feeling 100% like this was the best job I'd ever had. I was impressed with and looked up to the CEO in a major way. Despite all those things, it became the worst job I've ever had by summer of 2015. Seems like the CEO just gave up on the company and hired a couple of executives to maybe somehow save the company from this downward spiral it seems to be inevitably going in. I know a few internal hires that would have done a better job. But hey, you live and you learn. Furthering your career and deepening your pockets by squatting on other people will ultimately leave you scratching your head wondering why almost everyone hates to work for you and the ones who like it are pretending to do so to keep food on their tables. CEO needs to get rid of all the bull headed execs who dont fit in with the once beautiful and inviting company culture that made all my IT friends at other companies jealous. He clearly doesn't seem to care about what happens to the company anymore. I hate to see people sit by and watch other people get mistreated.

"Best company, culture and people in Dallas!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Like the title says, "Best company, culture and people in Dallas." OT prides itself on taking care of "their people" first which in turn breeds collaboration among all teams with the overall goal of proving valued products to our customers. Coming to work on a daily basis and witnessing co-workers enjoying their daily responsibilities while being challenged in a laid-back, open environment, where everyone is approachable and not hung-up on titles is as rewarding as it gets from a professional view point.

Cons

Nothing at this time for cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the unbelievable efforts of continuing to preserve OT's culture and providing cutting edge consumer products to our clientele!

"Horrible management, horrible Human Resources company. If you're a submissive person, you will succeed here."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Richardson, TX

I worked at One Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on your manager...you will either be very happy or very miserable. Coworkers will stab you in the back. Can't trust anyone.

Cons

From Human Resources on up to the very top...they don't care about you. They talk the talk but they don't walk the walk.

Advice to Management

Educate yourself.

"Vice President, Customer Care"

Former Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX

I worked at One Technologies (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best team of analysts and BI that I have ever worked with!

Cons

None. I enjoyed and learned every day that I was there.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at One Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture of transparency and employee focus has been a refreshing change from the norm since I arrived. The market we are in changes quickly and being part of a team that comes together to compete is very gratifying. The upper management changes they made recently took courage and vision. I have been at companies that never made the hard choices, this company makes the hard choices and tells everyone why. The technology investment they are making is massive and state of the art. Everyone sees this and is excited about how well leveraged we are in the digital eCommerce arena. The pace makes the days go by quickly and you get to work with super bright motivated people. I have worked in a few shops and this place is special.

Cons

It can get consuming because you don't want to let your teammates down.
    You get exposed to so many bright people that the first year or two can feel like you're drinking from a fire hose.

Advice to Management

You should keep doing what you are doing the culture is awesome the people are incredible and the focus is dead on, this is a fun ride of a company and a career.