Onset Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

Onset Financial Reviews

Updated October 25, 2018

4.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "We just had an amazing 2 day offsite training in Park City" (in 7 reviews)

• "From the interview, to the training in house and two day training in Park City (with Thurl Bailey" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hard work is a con for some people" (in 5 reviews)

• "I was actually terminated and really don't have anything negative to say" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The Onset Experience"

Current Employee - Executive Vice President/Documentation in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Executive Vice President/Documentation in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Onset Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Pros, quite simply, are innumerable. For those who have not yet had the opportunity to participate as an employee in "The Onset Experience", I will do my best to provide insight by sharing the Pros that I find to be of the most value to me personally.

1 - The people – Cannot say it enough! Every day I am afforded the opportunity to work with some of the most extraordinary people period. These are people that not only excel in their roles here at Onset, but that challenge me in positive ways to help me grow and better myself personally and professionally. I spend hours and hours a week with my co-workers so it is so important to me that I am surrounded with quality people that I can count on, laugh with, and that bring out the best in me. It is like being part of a superhero family!

2 –The culture – I have been told many times from many people that the Onset culture is phenomenal, and from an employee who has been here for nearly 4 years, that statement is NOT an over-exaggeration. The moment you walk through the front doors, the positive energy, buzz of activity, friendly smiles, and the feeling of unity are immediately perceived. Our culture is something that has been built upon for years and sustained through the efforts of the owners, the leadership team, and each and every employee. I still come in every day genuinely appreciative of the culture that Onset has built and even more appreciative of those who help maintain this culture. I am surprised when a person becomes immune to the culture that surrounds us because I find it hard to understand how something that affects each person’s daily routine in such a considerable and positive way could ever be taken for granted.

3 – The leadership – In my role, I have the opportunity to watch and experience the leadership within the company from a very close perspective. As such, I can say with absolute certainty that the leadership at Onset is genuinely invested in its employees, its culture, in being a cutting-edge organization and revolutionizing our industry, and in making our company a place that I am proud to be part. The leadership provides the training, tools and opportunities needed for motivated employees to succeed and excel. The owners invest their own time, energy, money and other resources into various philanthropic endeavors. New and revolutionary positions are added when needed to ensure we stay on the cutting edge of our industry. The culture is the heartbeat of our organization and the leadership takes this seriously and puts every effort into maintaining and fostering this incredible culture.

4 – The Onset Experience - Just this past year, a few of the notable (as an employee) benefits that Onset provided:
    (i) offered all employees an opportunity to volunteer on several occasions at the local food bank during standard work hours,
    (ii) closed the offices and gave its employees a full paid week off in August as a thank you for our efforts,
    (iii) closed our offices for a day in September in order for the employees to volunteer at a local charity golf tournament organized by Onset Gives,
    (iv) sent a full team down to Cabo for a few days to host the Onset Invitational Golf Tournament,
    (v) hosted Brian Regan (the comedian) for a local private black-tie charity event and every employee was given complimentary tickets to attend this prestigious event,
    (vi) as a surprise and thank you, gave every employee the last working day of the year off which is huge in the financial sector, and
    (vii) hosted an inspiring and energy-inducing 2018 kick-off party to get our teams moving strong into the new year!

While there are many other Pros that could have been listed, those listed above are the Pros that I find to be the biggest factors affecting my continued happiness and growth at Onset Financial.

Cons

To be successful at Onset, you have to possess and utilize certain characteristics that include a strong resolve, high level of self-discipline/self-motivation, unwillingness to fail and a solid work ethic. This is not a common set of traits so unless you have these, or are able to find a way to instill these while you are here, you will likely find that you are less successful and that the work proves more difficult.

Advice to Management

Please continue with the awesome training (and cross-training) opportunities that you have provided each year as I have personally found those to be very beneficial. Also, keep the awesome swag, pizza and cereal coming - it really is appreciated!!

2. "I loved my time at Onset"

I worked at Onset Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was let go from Onset Just yesterday after only working there a few weeks. No reason was given besides the company decided to go in another direction—Not sure how to take that as I thought things were going good and getting better as I found my feet. But it is what it is. I was more or less recruited and left an extremely good job I can't get back to take this one because I thought it was such a great opportunity and am now in a less than desirable position for having taken this job. All that said, I should be pretty jaded, but I would go back tomorrow if I was asked. I loved the people I worked with and really believe in the potential of this company—much of which is still untapped.

Great place to work.

Cons

I see some negative remarks left here. I don't want to say the people who left them are haters or have an agenda. I am sure they have their reasons and feel justified in their opinions. But the negative remarks I see are coming from the sales department and sales is a very hard job with a lot of pressure that not all people are cut out for. Consider the source when you read those types of reviews. I was actually terminated and really don't have anything negative to say. I actually twice called friends I thought would be good in sales to let them know/refer them.

Advice to Management

Best of luck in the future and enjoy the new building.

3. "Way Too Much Fun to be Called Work!"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Onset Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

(Not in any specific order!)
    -Challenging, rewarding projects
    -An innovative leader
    -Great incentives
    -Off-campus training
    -Amazing appreciation for a job well done.
    -Incredible commission opportunity for sales team members
    -Growing industry and growing company (winning combination)
    -Monday-Friday schedule with holidays off!
    -Out-of-this-world swag! (Seriously, I've never seen anything like it. We are SPOILED!)
    -True teamwork between departments
    -Ability to learn and progress with lots of upward mobility
    -No room for slackers. (High achievers hate dead-weight bringing down a team.)
    -Clear expectations and accountability.
    -Brand new, beautiful campus opening soon.
    -Gym discounts
    -Free lunch on Fridays
    -Free cereal all the time
    -More free clothes than I know what to do with!

Cons

Growing pains, but I would consider that a good problem to have.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing, motivating, and holding people accountable. Keep the bar high and let's become a billion-dollar a year company!

4. "Not worth the hype"

Former Employee - National Account Executive in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - National Account Executive in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Onset Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, pizza Friday’s and swag, and okay base salary.

Cons

High expectations on the first day! Manager on my team was such a jerk, doesn’t give a crap about you and wants things done his way or they will let ya go. You have to make 100 cold calls a day, 250 minutes a day, leads and presentations. And you don’t really make 10% commission. They hype you up by saying you will make hundreds of thousands of dollars but yes you gotta find that one lucky call. It’s BS.

Advice to Management

Don’t be stuck in your ways. Actually focus on your people and apply your teaching to their strengths. Be humble and kind to your people and maybe they will stay longer.

"boiler room mentality"

I worked at Onset Financial full-time

Pros

good training to get people to dial for them.

Cons

Managers are extremely inadequate, Treat people like crap, hire basically dialers, recorded several meetings where there were tons of potential lawsuits, I heard several employees say they were just sticking around to develop a lawsuit case. Apparently they had a ton of horrible situations, that no legitimate company would be proud of. Mr. Nielson seems to have class but doesn't have a clue how horrible the managers are. Always threatening your job. In a environment where people have been there more than a year without getting any deals. Why would they try to get a deal if they are getting threatened every day with their job. Then they wonder no one gets a deal. Their turn over is over 90% . I am suprised it's not higher.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect

6. "Consider before joining!"

Pros

Pizza on Friday’s and cereal bar

Cons

Vary bad work environment! Management is a joke they are not looking to train new guys at all!

Most of my training class quit two days into the job because of the Hostile environment.

The CEO doesn’t even know how’s his company is run when he is not present!

They ask everyone to make positive comments on glass door and indeed but there all fake!

Advice to Management

Take a good look at the sales managers. Teach them the right way to teach and at least be a descent person.

7. "Amazing Leader"

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Onset Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Where do I even begin.... there are so many Pros when it comes to working for Onset Financial. The leadership is absolutely amazing. I've never worked for a company before that truly cares about their employees. They help guide you in every way to grow with the company and succeed. The culture is off the hook! The perks, let me tell you about the perks at OFI. If you have to spend 9 plus hours of your day away from home working for you and your family, why not be somewhere that makes you feel valued and appreciated and SPOILED. Free breakfast cereal every day, free lunch each Friday, new swag, ALL the time, company events such as renting the entire zoo for the employees and their families, Lagoon day, a 10 year anniversary trip to Las Vegas, flight and hotel for you and a guest, I mean who does that for their employees. I can't ever imagine working for another company, truly feel appreciated each and every day!

Cons

Hmmm, well the only thing I can think of is the job itself is pretty intense, still learn something new everyday. Like the saying goes - Work Hard Play Hard. Long hours, late nights, whatever it takes to get the job done. Absolutely all worth it!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Love the leadership and love the growth that is offered. Best Management team out there!

Jul 26, 2018 – VP of Marketing and Public Relations

Thank you so much for this great review! And, thank you for your hard work, dedication and loyalty to Onset,

8. "Best CEO, hands down"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Onset Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is hands down the best, most caring company I have ever worked for. Justin Nielsen, the CEO, truly cares about his employees and wants to make sure we have a good work environment where everyone wants to come to work and do a good job when we are here.

Cons

I have no negative comments.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job.

Jun 25, 2018 – VP of Marketing and Public Relations

Thank you for the review. Justin really has created a phenomenal environment. We appreciate your hard work and for helping make this a great place!

9. "National Sales Director"

Current Employee - Sales Director in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Director in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Onset Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Onset Financial has the best culture and leadership. The leadership of Justin Nielsen, founder and CEO, is inspiring. My six year old son is in end stage heart failure, needing a heart transplant. Nielsen’s Heart is as big as they come, and the way he has rallied the entire company in support of me and my family, is the single greatest act of love and kindness I’ve ever seen. The business is cutting edge, and our commitment to to our customers coming first is what differentiates us, along with our flexibility and funding backing! We get deals done that help our clients grow their business and operations. Behind the scenes, you see smiles, energy, and an engaged workforce. You don’t smell the doldrums at Onset. It’s a fun, safe, and inspiring place to be.

Cons

Every career has its pros and cons. But I can’t think of any when it comes to Onset.

Advice to Management

No advice! Just heartfelt thanks for being rock solid and behind me, my son and my family during this difficult time with my son facing a life threatening disease and needing an organ transplant.

Jun 25, 2018 – VP of Marketing and Public Relations

Thank you so much for the review. You are an important part of our success here at Onset. We are all #TreyStrong!

10. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Account Executive in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Onset Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great atmosphere
    - Successful individuals performing the training
    - Great company
    - The culture is upbeat and fun

Cons

- It takes a lot of hard work to be in this industry, but if you can get over the entitlement of our day and work harder than you have ever worked then there are no cons.

Advice to Management

- Continue to provide exceptional training

Apr 19, 2018 – VP of Marketing and Public Relations

We love your attitude and are happy to have you on the team!