Onset Financial Reviews

Updated Jan 13, 2021

4.3
Onset Financial Chief Executive Officer Justin Nielsen
Justin Nielsen
Pros
  • "Six figure success directly correlates to hard work and dedication (not defined by your friends)(in 12 reviews)

• "We are definitely spoiled with our new building, which is absolutely beautiful(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hard work is a requirement of success(in 6 reviews)

• "The Mazuma team is three times smaller then the onset side and they beat the sales floor of onset on a regular basis(in 6 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. COVID-19

"Heart Broken, but Great Company."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Draper, UT

I worked at Onset Financial full-time

Pros

I was laid off in July. I'm a proven talent in the industry and had recruiters from competing companies in the industry attempt reaching me throughout my tenure at Onset / Mazuma Capital. I never returned their calls or messages. Heartbroken that I had to be let go? Most definitely. Bitter? Nope!! Truth is truth, and facts are facts, and the Truth of Onset is that it's a great company. Great People! Leadership that still gives me goosebumps, and that will pay me dividends from the learning's and exposure to it. It's hard! Hard work is demanded. Expected. It is not for the faint of heart, or weak to come onboard and to expect success without earning it. Whether you are a proven stalwart in the industry, or a green - novice employee, they treat you the same. Consummate professionals, managers, executives. Fabulous resources, and an operation team that will be first ballot credit and doc hall of famers. Onset taught me about passion, resilience, grittiness, and toughness. Onset recognizes leadership qualities, and contributions from Everyone. Justin Nielsen, Scott Miller, the founders, and the entire management and executive suite are gold standard. Stephen Covey talks about character and competence in his book "Speed of Trust" and the new building almost can't contain how much of those two tenets exist there. Thank you Onset. I'm still not over you, but I don't think I have to be...because the qualities you've helped me develop and your love for me and my family will continue to enrich my life and career. Go get em! Keep dunkin' on COVID 19, and adversity. A strong company, which you are, will only get stronger from this, and I will see it with a wink and a smile, and a fist pump, because I celebrate winners and goodness when I see it.

Cons

They didn't have a vaccine for COVID 19 in March. Other than that, I once ate a bowl of cereal that might have been a little stale.

2. COVID-19

"Empty Promises"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Onset Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Swag, trips, generosity, pizza, bbq’s

Cons

Laid off, COVID, meaningless promises

Continue reading

3. "Revolving Door of Employees"

Former Employee - National Account Executive in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Onset Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many of the co-workers are very supportive. Technical equipment and software is superior.

Cons

All three companies under the umbrella of Onset Financial (Mazuma Capital Captech and Onset) all use the same database of customers to call. You will get one executive after another from a business you call telling you, "I have received too many calls from you guys, STOP CALLING". And the executives know all three companies are one-in-the-same. Gets old. One of the posted reviews mentions a number of 5-star ratings are all within a short period of time and it's because the company just had a "motivational meeting" and asked the employees to write a 5-star review. This is absolutely true! I had to do it!

Continue reading
  4. "Onset Financial Sales - Sales Jobs"

1.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Draper, UT

I worked at Onset Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training, Great Niche Market, Big Opportunities

Cons

Its all a con. They are a boiler room of revolving sales people. They offer incentives that they do not deliver. And even if you do get a deal that they approve through underwriting.... they will find a reason to then let you go so they do not have to pay it out.

"Proceed with Caution."

1.0

I worked at Onset Financial full-time

Pros

I have debated writing this review for some time now and honestly, I am not quite sure why. I feel that I owe it to myself and to my community to share a few thoughts that I have about Onset Financial. I started my position at Onset very excited, eager and ready to learn. During my time there I learned a lot about myself, the industry, and gained great insight from some members of the executive team who I had the opportunity to work closely with. Know that I take none of this for granted and I probably wouldn’t change much about my experience because [insert cheesy quote here] it has made me who I am today. However, if I were still working at Onset today, I would do a few things differently.

Cons

There are many times where employees are mistreated. I saw this happen to those around me and personally experienced it myself (on numerous occasions). Most days were filled with a lot of red light–green light and hot and cold. You didn’t know what mood you were going to get that day and the mind-games started to take a toll on me and many others. Some members of the executive team tend to think that your knowledge and experience is invalid because it is “new” and not the way they have done things in the past. This was frustrating as I watched other companies innovate and keep up with the times as we remained stagnant. In one instance, I voiced an idea to my manager who not only shut me down but also started to mistreat me for the following months to come. Onset was generous to me and many of my coworkers throughout my time being there and I was able to experience so many things that I wouldn’t elsewhere, but it always came at a price. Rather than Onset being grateful to have me as an employee, I was made to feel grateful that Onset even hired me. Don’t get me wrong, I was super grateful but I feel the appreciation should go both ways. If you notice most of the reviews on their Glassdoor account happen in groups of dates. This is because the current employees are asked to write a review right after a company lunch, party and/or event. (Maybe because spirits are high for a minute?) There are definitely a lot of great people that work at Onset. I respect and admire many of them and even consider some to be life-long friends. However, the company culture is not as advertised so I advise those who are looking to work here to proceed with high caution.

6. "Great Company and Leaders"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Draper, UT

I have been working at Onset Financial full-time

Pros

All the tools to succeed are provided by Onset. If you put in the hard work and effort, you will succeed.

Cons

It is a grind, but like I mentioned above, it will pay off if you are willing to put in the work.

7. COVID-19

"Above and Beyond"

Current Employee - Account Representative in North Ogden, UT

I have been working at Onset Financial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

From the beginning, as the reports filtered in from Asia and Europe concerning the Covid-19 virus and possible health & economic impacts, the management and executives, following the direction of company owner Justin Nielsen, have gone beyond what anyone would have expected to preemptively get the employees and their families prepared for the events that we are now passing through. Onset continues to support its employees and clients in every way possible.

Cons

Nothing to add in this category.

8. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I have been working at Onset Financial full-time for less than a year

Pros

They go out of there way to help you succeed and give you the tools to develop and grow. A lot of companies talk about doing that but this is the first place I’ve ever truly seen that happen.

Cons

I don’t have any cons.

9. "Current State"

Current Employee - National Account Executive in Draper, UT

I have been working at Onset Financial full-time for less than a year

Pros

The transparency of the job is wonderful. In other sales roles management tends to try to sell you on your job, here it is known that the work is difficult, but the reward is exponential. The executive team is one of the most supportive I’ve ever had. The culture is like family. The CEO is a genuine stand up guy.

Cons

Cold calling is not for everybody.

10. "Grit and grind"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Onset Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment with colleague’s, great training in spring and fall quarters, push you to be your best.

Cons

Nothing on that I can think of, they’re straight forward from the beginning of the type of work and what it requires to be successful.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 128 English Reviews