OpenX Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
OpenX Chief Executive Officer Tim Cadogan
Tim Cadogan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Benefits to employees are also great--free lunches, rec room and competitive salaries (in 15 reviews)

• Really smart people, good benefits and culture (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance expectations is to get things done hard to balance and hit all deadlines (in 5 reviews)

• The management team is not at all proactive (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great People, Tough Industry"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at OpenX full-time

Pros

Really smart people, good benefits and culture

Cons

Industry changes so fast that we get punished more when we drag our good ideas out too long before going live. Need to place more bets.

Advice to Management

Provide better and more clear image of what career path looks like.

"Engineering leadership review"

Current Employee - UI Leadership
    Current Employee - UI Leadership

I have been working at OpenX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, open door policy, accommodations, location

Cons

CTO just announced he is leaving because they need someone local to HQ. Hmm. Shouldnt they have figured that out before they hired him? They knew he was from the bay area. So stop with the bull, no one is buying it. When you treat us as fools, we stop giving a crap.

Most of engineering leadership is based in SC. So how does that work? Seems to be backwards. I wish they just admit he was awful and that they made a mistake in hiring instead using a cover up. The CTO personally ran out or was involved in running out 30+ indidvuals in the last 6 months. What did he accomplish??? He hired a few manager-level "VPs". He is not leaving us in a better state. He is leaving us with a mess.

Honestly, a very inept CTO and one without any true understanding of people or process. If we want to make a REAL difference, let's go a bit further and take out the VPs. They need to go as well.

Advice to Management

Stop the waste. Stop the bleeding. Stop the lack of ownership. Make OpenX great again.

"Smart, passionate employees with mediocre managers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at OpenX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- In spite of attrition, some very smart and talented people still work here.
    - Free lunches M, W, F.
    - Bi-annual company parties at ritzy hotels.

Cons

- Ideation and MVP launches get stuck in committee.
    - Quick feature hacks that serve Business's interests (commissions, quotas) trump innovative product strategy.
    - Loss of very strong employees has reduced morale.

Advice to Management

If innovation is important to you:
    - Remove the stagnant people managers in Product. (Why have 4 VPs over a staff of 11?)
    - Hire unreasonably awesome "bar raisers".
    - Consider setting HQ in a hub where innovative, smart tech talent lives. (Pasadena isn't it.)
    - Excluding the CEO, have humility and a little empathy for those who work hard to make you and the company successful.
    - Focus the company on 1 or 2 initiatives. (While people can hold 7 items in their heads, 7 interdependent, concurrent initiatives is a recipe for mediocrity.)

"Not confident that this company will make it"

Pros

-Nice colleagues who are willing to work with you to solve problems
    -Very smart engineers
    -Good benefits

Cons

-Ad Tech is competitive and OpenX is not well suited to succeed. There is a lack of any differentiating product or strategic direction to address industry pressure.
    -Significant bureaucracy. OpenX is very slow and process driven. Every project is heavily scrutinized and criticized by upper management. We've missed the market several times by being too slow to deliver on projects due to red tape.
    -This is a sales company masked as a tech company. Engineers simply build what the sales team wants. This causes a lack of long term vision for the company.
    -Not data driven. Most of the decisions are based on hunches or anecdotal evidence.

Advice to Management

Change the company culture and structure so that engineering and product can drive innovation instead of just catering to the short term needs of sales.

"Great Company With An Emerging and Serious Employee Morale Problem"

I have been working at OpenX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great community of people who love working together on challenging projects

Excellent work culture when I first started - this has recently gone south (within the last month) along with morale in many groups I interface with

Awesome brainstorming for new growth areas - severe lack of action in this area - things typically stay as ideas in perpetuity

Cons

No clear direction for employee growth, as the direction of the underlying business is unclear to most employees at this point - begs the question: how can there be upward mobility in a company when the fundamentals of the business itself are questioned as a going concern - why pursue the same bread and butter business path of the last 10 years on the cusp of significant revenue deceleration?

There needs to be clear direction and an employee growth and retention framework. For each group, there needs to be written guidelines that clearly spell out what you need to do in order to get promoted - not for a raise nor a bonus, but for internal promotions within your org and group. How is it possible that I have worked 1 year for a group and neither a framework nor conversation has ever taken place regarding what I need to specifically achieve for a promotion? The clear implication is that perhaps no thought has gone into such a promotion framework, which is ultimately disillusioning.

Strategic options that are presented are often muddled by exec team's apparent and underlying desire to sell the business and pursue strategic alternatives to organic growth.

Advice to Management

It is a serious morale killer for employees to come up to me asking if they should be worried about their job, as whispers of strategic revenue paths have transitioned into widespread rumors of exec seeking strategic alternatives - the same thing can be said for new products: how do you expect employees to work so hard on new growth research when nothing is done to effectively implement these new growth areas in OpenX's underlying organizational strategy?

If most of the company is aware of such strategic alternatives, then a clear retention strategy needs to be discussed - there is an elephant in the room and employees are afraid of it.

OpenX is a business and part of a business is to "cash out" after a certain point in time - Tim and exec have done tremendous things and they deserve it - but do not bring these discussions down to the rank and file employee nor bring these employees into the analyses that go into these deals. I would rather stick my head in the sand and feign ignorance than work among a group of anxiety-ridden employees who have no job certainty on a go-forward basis.

OpenX Response

Jul 5, 2017 – People Team

Thank you for your feedback. We always encourage our employees to speak directly with our executive team about their concerns so you get an immediate response. We also invite you to ask questions... More

"Great experience! Business Development role!"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at OpenX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a very good intake session with the Business Recruiter at OpenX! She was wonderful throughout this process and made my experience great which was followed by interviews with the company well thought through process!

7. "Cool company"

I worked at OpenX full-time

Pros

Unique office environment with a lot of talented people.

Cons

Company seems unorganized and is experiencing a lot of attrition.

"Insecure product leadership + Micromanagement = 16 months with no product releases."

Former Employee - Product Manager in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Pasadena, CA

I worked at OpenX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart engineering and sales teams.

People eager to learn and deliver.

Collaborative environment.

Cons

No data-driven decision making.

Product and engineering is run by significant red tape. Employees asked to focus on process rather than meeting goals. Countless hours spent in meetings discussing font sizes and getting the right shade for colors. Often resulting in missing market windows.

No accountability for meeting business goals.

No single threaded leadership on project.

Good ideas are often abandoned.

Advice to Management

You are not getting the complete story told to you. Information is often witheld from you for petty reasons that would surface senior management's incompetency. Get in touch with the ground troops in a 1:1 setting and you will realize why you haven't been able to make a market launch.

Shake your product development leadership and hire a team that drives teams to innovate and makes them accountable for meeting company targets.

Trust the talent you hire. You can only scale if you stop micromanaging (especially down 4 skip levels).

"Unreasonably Mediocre"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at OpenX full-time

Pros

+Relaxed Environment
    +Company tries to provide good perks (free lunches, "unlimited" vacations etc.)
    +Nice colleagues
    + They are couple of people who are technically proficient, you can actually learn a lot from. But you can number these people in fingers of your one hand and still have fingers to spare. But still good to know these people are there.

Cons

I worked in the Engineering department, so my comments are about Engineering department.

(a) Politics - There is a lot of it. People coming from big companies will be more at ease with this crap, because they got used to it. Others coming from a startup culture will be hit hard by this.

(b) Management - I got the feeling Engineering management in OpenX is mostly concerned with hiring. Agreed, there is a lot of hiring to do (see my points below). There is a lot of attrition and they have got a aging platform and they need someone to run like "headless chickens" when stuff goes bad. The management team is not at all proactive. For example it was well known the platform had 'speed' (performance issues). But apart from some proclamations like "speed is important, going forward we should pay attention to this", no concrete actions were taken until two years later competitors were calling out the 'speed' issues of OpenX platform. 2 years! Meanwhile Engineering management was setting up arbitrary SCRUM teams, where most of the employees were bored. One SCRUM team might have lot of work, but another SCRUM team might not.

(c) Meetings - If you work in Openx, you will attend lot of meetings. 95% of these meetings can be avoided, instead inexperienced managers call these soul killing meetings destroying everyone's productivity. Middle management is especially guilty of this. A meeting to discuss an issue should be a last resort, not a replacement for work they themselves should be doing.

(d) Productivity - Productivity is almost at the bottom. Getting something done is like trying to squeeze water out of a stone. I see several culprits; SCRUM, unnecessary meetings, Attrition, inexperienced managers, new hires, Frequent reorganizations, politics etc.

(e) Team reorganizations - There are team reorganizations roughly every 8 months. Some of these are forced by people leaving. Other are done in the name of "Velocity", this almost always have the opposite effect. I have met several employees, who are numb after going through several of these reorganizations. In a 3 year stay in OpenX, expect to have about 4 or 5 managers.

(f) Lack of enough work - Most of the employees are doing mind numbing rote work. This is despite the platform starting to show its age ( see my reference to speed above). The Engineering management have failed to proactively form teams to attack the problems. They still want to hire more people, so they have people on standby to pour water when fires break out, which they often do.

(g) Zombie culture - There are lot of zombies in OpenX. These are people who are in OpenX not because they think the work is great or Compensation is great. They are there because it affords them a life style they want to have (Some live close to the office, others makes use of flexible time to support family). There is nothing wrong with people choosing to work at a less than challenging work place. We all have bills to pay, kids to raise; right? But be aware they are there. Amusingly one of my colleagues referred to these Zombies as "vesting and resting" department.

So if you are looking to find employment here, my advice is to do well in interview. Then negotiate the compensation (base salary) to a level that would force OpenX to give you challenging work. Remember to figure all the above points to your asking base salary, so if worse comes to worst you at-least are well compensated and feel a little less guilty about wasting your 18 months in OpenX.

"Good"

Current Employee - Senior Marketplace Quality Analyst in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketplace Quality Analyst in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at OpenX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

free food, relaxed culture, can come in late and unlimited vacation

Cons

pockets of slackers that don't pull their own weight