Overdrive Interactive Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Harry Gold

1. "Career builder and resume enhancer"

Current Employee - Manager in Allston, MA

I have been working at Overdrive Interactive full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been employed with Overdrive Interactive since 2009 and seen a lot of people come and go – AND a lot of people stay. Having Overdrive experience on your resume is a career builder and resume enhancer. Past employees move on to being at the top of their field working client or agency side. About 50% of current employees have been here for years.
    Overdrive is a highly successful, stable and cutting edge agency. Staying current on all channels has been imperative with Overdrives’ success. We have potential clients calling us for presentations and current clients increasing their budgets.
    Our CEO is a dynamic leader -- always seeking new ways to present ideas and helping every employee find their ultimate potential. Working for OD is a solid job. You will learn here, you will get amazing industry experience here – that IS certain.
    There is a 'family' vibe to the work day -- caring intelligent people will be your co-workers. Diverse personalities and interests - makes it a workday a lot more pleasant.

Cons

For the overwhelming majority - Overdrive is a great fit, but for a very few - not so much. Bad reviews come from past employees that were given too many chances and continued to fail.

Advice to Management

Don’t give so many chances to chronically poor performances. Continue being the 'powerhouse agency' you are.

2. "Search Associate"

Former Employee - Search Marketing Associate in Allston, MA
    Former Employee - Search Marketing Associate in Allston, MA

I worked at Overdrive Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive, friendly team
    Good clients and always new things to learn
    Flat organization
    Big parking lot

Cons

Not many formal training
    People are quiet (if that's a con)

3. "Great experience"

Former Employee - SEO Specialist in Allston, MA
    Former Employee - SEO Specialist in Allston, MA

I worked at Overdrive Interactive full-time

Pros

Regarding learning about SEO, you work with latest tools and technologies. Will open your eyes to strategies and tactics, not necessarily utilized by other agencies. Overdrive has you working in an integrated digital shop – SEO paired with other programs such as PPC, social, content development. There is parking for cars available to employees.

Cons

You definitely will work hard and there are times of peak activity (especially when reports are due) but work life balance is possible at Overdrive. Because it’s not downtown, dining and lunch options are limited.

Advice to Management

Migrate intern training into employee orientation programs. While training was excellent, Overdrive could do more to extend its continuing professional education beyond initial orientation. Bring production and front line staff in meetings to give us insight into business side of agency.

4. "Great company"

Current Employee - Social Media Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Social Media Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Overdrive Interactive full-time

Pros

-Good work/life balance
    -Learning opportunities
    -Self starter

Cons

-Must be very individually motivated (is that a con?)
    -Political

Advice to Management

Consistent and clear expectations would help every department.

5. "Solid Company, Solid People, Solid Experience"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Intern in Boston, MA

Pros

I absolutely loved my time at Overdrive Interactive. Not only are the employees extremely friendly and helpful but they encourage you out of your comfort zone. No projects are handed to you here as an intern... you need to go find them. First 3 weeks of the internship was well structured with seminar type meetings and "how to" tutorials. After those 3 weeks interns became more of utility workers helping where they could and getting as much experience as they could. Would not recommend applying unless you are a "go-getter" because if not you will sit behind your desk all day doing nothing.

Cons

It was unpaid. Morally I disagree with the idea of an unpaid internship (but that's just me). The interns at Overdrive were well qualified and smart individuals with many unique abilities and I believe making the internship unpaid is an insult to their worth and intelligence. Either way it is an interns choice to accept the position (I myself do not care about pay and just wanted a meaningful experience... which I definitely got)

Advice to Management

Some extra structure would have been nice to guide the interns into meaningful work without them having to go search it out themselves. Maybe some more access into the day to day activities of the firm to give interns a better birds eye view of what the company does. I found myself going around asking questions to figure this out... it would have made the experience richer if that information was more readily available. I also think management should pay their interns... The quality of work would be higher, the quality of applicants will be higher, and intern satisfaction will be higher. I see absolutely no reason why a firm would not pay its interns (unless the firm is unprofitable)

6. "Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, RI

I worked at Overdrive Interactive (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Managers
    Knowledgable Staff
    Casual Environment
    Hand on Training

Cons

Non that I can think of

7. "Gained ‘real’ on-line marketing experience quickly."

Former Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I worked at Overdrive Interactive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a lot very quickly and was given a lot of opportunity to enhance my skills. For me, the experience from Overdrive moved my professional career fast-forward. The responsibility I was given really educated me on all the best practices of Social, SEO and Paid Search. The pay and benefits were pretty good compared to starting salaries at other agencies.

Cons

It can get tense when deadlines are looming. You really need to get your work done on time or it can pile up quickly. They have a lot of tech company clients I had never heard of before working there.

Advice to Management

More formal training would make for easier transition into the position. Some things are best learned on-the-job but some additional classes would expedite the overall process.

"Just passed my 5 year mark here and couldn't be happier."

Current Employee - Manager in Allston, MA

I have been working at Overdrive Interactive full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with smart talented people, being able to walk into any of the founders offices and discuss an idea I have, being able to implement that idea, continued education on current marketing practices, opportunity for job growth is impressive. Overdrive allows you to make whatever position you have -- your own. Your growth is what you put into it. Easy access location and beautiful contemporary work space.

Cons

I have seen a lot of employees come and go and have come to conclusion that Overdrive gives some employees too much leeway. Employees that start displaying a negative attitude should be let go much sooner if their issues can not be resolved. If you need constant praise or hand holding don't apply.

Advice to Management

Take more time to hire the 'right' employee, with the personality that fits your management style. Hire A Team always. You could eliminate some of the negative reviews this way.

"Boring and Don't Recommend"

Former Employee - Search Marketing Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Search Marketing Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Overdrive Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed environment and free cafeteria food.

Cons

No work. There is no work to do. You just sit around and look at your screen all day.

Advice to Management

Have some work for the people you hire instead of having them sitting around and doing nothing.

"Not a Good Career Move"

Former Employee - Marketing in Allston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Allston, MA

I worked at Overdrive Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

During the time I worked at Overdrive Interactive I was given a lot of responsibility right off the bat. I learned a lot within the first few months and I was able to work on a variety of client projects. I really loved the people I worked with and they made my job experience what it was.

Cons

Management is AWFUL and doesn't care about their employees. There were lots of problems that I spoke to my manager about but nothing could be done because senior management didn't care to solve the problems. The work was repetitive and I had little to no opportunity to work on other projects. The workload was a lot and you are expected to work late until it's done. There is no process for the way things are done and hardly any training. They frequently have high turn over and lay offs.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! The morale is low and people are not happy.