Overdrive Interactive Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Harry Gold

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A Close Group of Friends Who Happen to Work Together"

Former Employee - Search Marketing Specialist in Allston, MA
    Former Employee - Search Marketing Specialist in Allston, MA

I worked at Overdrive Interactive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the aspects that sets Overdrive apart is the culture. Many of the people I worked with there I still remain close friends with, and have been for years. I consider them friends before coworkers and this is something that I've found is lost in other companies throughout my career. I started as a Search Marketing Associate at Overdrive, moved up to the Specialist level, left briefly and was welcomed back again as a Search Marketing Specialist in a way that felt more like returning to a group of friends than to an employer.

Overdrive is one of those wonderful places where independence can be rewarded, getting hands on with various skills is encouraged, analytical thinking is expected and a solution-oriented mindset is required. You get a lot of freedom with your clients to try new things and experiment some as long as it's driving performance towards the client's goals.

There are a number of skills I learned at Overdrive that my role normally wouldn't handle at other agencies. Within the role, I was building out strategies, implementing and managing those strategies, analyzing the results, communicating them to the client, occasionally presenting and more. In other companies I've worked at, my role would have leaned towards the strategy and management of accounts with little interaction with the client. I much preferred rolling up my sleeves and getting hands on with different aspects of the clients' marketing needs.

Cons

If you're not someone who can "wear multiple hats" or aren't interested in learning new skills, Overdrive might be tough to get used to. You're not expected to know everything, but you should welcome the idea of learning a new tool or trying a different approach to things.

Advice to Management

Keep an open mind to employees' ideas or suggestions for change with how things get done. The strength of innovation is in the iteration and the more new ideas you try out the faster you can improve.

"Recruiter"

Former Employee - Senior Corporate Recruiter in Allston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Corporate Recruiter in Allston, MA

I worked at Overdrive Interactive part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, wonderful office environment, lots of hard work, but lots of fun!!

Cons

Long hours, commute by MBTA not recommended

Advice to Management

N/a

"Career builder and resume enhancer"

Current Employee - Manager in Allston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Allston, MA

I have been working at Overdrive Interactive full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been employed with Overdrive Interactive since 2009 and seen a lot of people come and go – AND a lot of people stay. Having Overdrive experience on your resume is a career builder and resume enhancer. Past employees move on to being at the top of their field working client or agency side. About 50% of current employees have been here for years.
    Overdrive is a highly successful, stable and cutting edge agency. Staying current on all channels has been imperative with Overdrives’ success. We have potential clients calling us for presentations and current clients increasing their budgets.
    Our CEO is a dynamic leader -- always seeking new ways to present ideas and helping every employee find their ultimate potential. Working for OD is a solid job. You will learn here, you will get amazing industry experience here – that IS certain.
    There is a 'family' vibe to the work day -- caring intelligent people will be your co-workers. Diverse personalities and interests - makes it a workday a lot more pleasant.

Cons

For the overwhelming majority - Overdrive is a great fit, but for a very few - not so much. Bad reviews come from past employees that were given too many chances and continued to fail.

Advice to Management

Don’t give so many chances to chronically poor performances. Continue being the 'powerhouse agency' you are.

"Search Associate"

Former Employee - Search Marketing Associate in Allston, MA
    Former Employee - Search Marketing Associate in Allston, MA

I worked at Overdrive Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive, friendly team
    Good clients and always new things to learn
    Flat organization
    Big parking lot

Cons

Not many formal training
    People are quiet (if that's a con)

"DONALD TRUMP IS IN THE HOUSE"

I have been working at Overdrive Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I get paid. My coworkers are good people.

Cons

Harry Gold = Donald Trump.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves. Please. Let the directors do their jobs and be in charge.

6. "Great experience"

Former Employee - SEO Specialist in Allston, MA
    Former Employee - SEO Specialist in Allston, MA

I worked at Overdrive Interactive full-time

Pros

Regarding learning about SEO, you work with latest tools and technologies. Will open your eyes to strategies and tactics, not necessarily utilized by other agencies. Overdrive has you working in an integrated digital shop – SEO paired with other programs such as PPC, social, content development. There is parking for cars available to employees.

Cons

You definitely will work hard and there are times of peak activity (especially when reports are due) but work life balance is possible at Overdrive. Because it’s not downtown, dining and lunch options are limited.

Advice to Management

Migrate intern training into employee orientation programs. While training was excellent, Overdrive could do more to extend its continuing professional education beyond initial orientation. Bring production and front line staff in meetings to give us insight into business side of agency.

7. "Great company"

Current Employee - Social Media Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Social Media Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Overdrive Interactive full-time

Pros

-Good work/life balance
    -Learning opportunities
    -Self starter

Cons

-Must be very individually motivated (is that a con?)
    -Political

Advice to Management

Consistent and clear expectations would help every department.

8. "Solid Company, Solid People, Solid Experience"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Intern in Boston, MA

Pros

I absolutely loved my time at Overdrive Interactive. Not only are the employees extremely friendly and helpful but they encourage you out of your comfort zone. No projects are handed to you here as an intern... you need to go find them. First 3 weeks of the internship was well structured with seminar type meetings and "how to" tutorials. After those 3 weeks interns became more of utility workers helping where they could and getting as much experience as they could. Would not recommend applying unless you are a "go-getter" because if not you will sit behind your desk all day doing nothing.

Cons

It was unpaid. Morally I disagree with the idea of an unpaid internship (but that's just me). The interns at Overdrive were well qualified and smart individuals with many unique abilities and I believe making the internship unpaid is an insult to their worth and intelligence. Either way it is an interns choice to accept the position (I myself do not care about pay and just wanted a meaningful experience... which I definitely got)

Advice to Management

Some extra structure would have been nice to guide the interns into meaningful work without them having to go search it out themselves. Maybe some more access into the day to day activities of the firm to give interns a better birds eye view of what the company does. I found myself going around asking questions to figure this out... it would have made the experience richer if that information was more readily available. I also think management should pay their interns... The quality of work would be higher, the quality of applicants will be higher, and intern satisfaction will be higher. I see absolutely no reason why a firm would not pay its interns (unless the firm is unprofitable)

"Internship was informative"

Pros

Internship was informative, organized and an eye opener! I felt like I learned a lot about what digital marketing really is and how it helps companies get their messages out. It’s a never ending learning curve that keeps rolling. I found my direction at Overdrive – which I appreciate. After getting glimpse into every department – Account Management seems to fit me best. Thanks for a wonderful experience Overdrive – I truly appreciate the time you spent educating me.

Cons

None. Great experience! I truly appreciate the time you spent educating me.

10. "Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, RI

I worked at Overdrive Interactive (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Managers
    Knowledgable Staff
    Casual Environment
    Hand on Training

Cons

Non that I can think of