PAE Consulting Engineers Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Glassdoor Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Glassdoor Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at PAE Consulting Engineers Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been here for most part of the year; I have to say that this company is amazing. The culture, the incentives, the confidence in our capabilities and the implicit, unspoken philosophy that everyone has something to offer is just great. This place takes the time to think in what ways we, as employees are going to be happy. Such atmosphere leads to people actually wanting to offer their best, to give their best. Nothing is perfect, but hands down, this is the best place I have had pleasure to work for. Keep it up PAE!

Cons

It is nothing major, but I believe that new employees should be given more tools to navigate the anxieties of having a new job. Every company is different and coming to a new company is sort of learning a new language in terms of procedures and processes; just a few days of orientation is not going to fulfill that vacuum. People usually is competent in their core responsibilities (engineering) , but knowing how, to whom and when to ask for resources is a completely different task.

Advice to Management

Keep it up and thanks! Think about matching a 401k on a per pay period basis!

2. "Engineer"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at PAE Consulting Engineers Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, fun culture, forward thinking, and pushing the design on sustainability.

Cons

Very little upward mobility for drafters and admins.

Advice to Management

Invest in the hourly workers more. I saw great flexibility for salaried workers, but the hourly workers that were working ~50 hours a week seemed to be the only ones viewed positively for promotion. Also, on multiple occasions, I heard about management nixing drafters getting design experience on projects even after many years at the company.

3. "Innovative Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at PAE Consulting Engineers Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing health benefits!!! Thank you for caring!! PAE is constantly striving to be better for its employees and the planet. The company is truly forward thinking and HR actively seeks out employee feedback to ACTUALLY make changes and improvements. Pretty cool!

Cons

Sometimes I felt my strong work ethic was taken advantage of with continually increasing workload and responsibilities. Need to improve office aesthetics and create a more inspiring work environment (get rid of the boring beige cubicles and white walls) I also found it challenging to form relationships with coworkers at times as there are two separate offices in Portland.

Advice to Management

PAE is very vocal about it's unique company culture. Some days this felt true but other days it got lost amongst all the deadlines and felt like any other engineering firm might feel. Figure out how to foster this culture on a daily basis. (like I mentioned above, a more inspiring, creative office environment goes a long way and can help lift employee spirits and cultivate positivity) Continue to improve training methods and on-boarding processes. Train management how to communicate successfully while under stress.

PAE Consulting Engineers Inc. Response

Mar 13, 2018 – Director of Employee Experience

*UPDATE* The Portland Management decided to invest in office aesthetic improvements. In the last few months each office floor has new paint and furniture in meeting spaces. Additionally, more... More

"Engineer"

I have been working at PAE Consulting Engineers Inc. full-time

Pros

Good people, management that cares about projects and staff, good benefits, good special events for employees.

Cons

Work/life balance issues that seem to be endemic to the industry.

Advice to Management

Identify project managers acting simply as middlemen to push work down without actively assisting in managing their projects.

"A Family Friendly MEP Engineering Firm"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PAE Consulting Engineers Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High percentage of women, especially in technical roles, compared to MEP industry averages. A focus on sustainability and social responsibility. Non-stuffy yet a focus on excellence and performance.

Cons

When it rains it pours, which means a temporary skew of life/work balance.

Advice to Management

Continue keeping a high level talent recruitment to keep the cream of the crop. Continue to improve systems to maintain efficiency, effectiveness and more importantly quality of deliverables.

PAE Consulting Engineers Inc. Response

Sep 8, 2017 – Director of Employee Experience

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on PAE. Your recommendations to Management are very important. Fortunately we are able to recruit and retain top talent due to our projects, our culture... More

"Mechanical Engineer"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Portland, OR

Pros

The people here are great to work with. So many of my coworkers have been with the company for 10 plus years. I have also gotten to work on a variety of projects and I've been fortunate enough to do quite a bit of sustainability work as well. One of my favorite parts about the company is that everyone, including the president Paul Schwer, is very accessible and always willing to teach and help you grow in your career.

Also the benefits here are much better than what I've seen/experienced with other engineering firms. I really can see myself staying here for the long run.

Cons

The construction industry can sometimes be hard to work in, with meeting deadlines and occasionally having to stay late to do so. But PAE does take the time each week to look at your schedule and make sure no one is taking on too much work.

7. "Long Time Employee"

I have been working at PAE Consulting Engineers Inc. full-time

Pros

A great place to work with lots of support.

Cons

lots of work and things to do.

8. "Solid Company - Constantly Progressing Forward"

Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

Pros

Great employee experience program and incentives
    Ample opportunity to get involved in committees
    One of the better companies for benefits
    Opportunities for volunteering and bonding with coworkers
    Top 100 best companies and top 100 green companies in Oregon

Cons

Some weeks have very long hours

Advice to Management

Some weeks are harder than others to work, but that comes with this field of work. But I feel we are taken care of and our accomplishments are recognized. I appreciate the fact the company continues to progress to exemplify the values that are pushed onto the client regarding energy efficiency and living green.

9. "Fantastic Culture"

Current Employee - Administrative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Administrative in Portland, OR

Pros

Focus and encouragement for career growth.
    Generous compensation and bonus's.
    Benefits are fantastic (Low out of pocket on insurance, paid family leave)
    Fun work atmosphere encouraged by management

Cons

Long hours during busy season
    Lots of policy/ standard put in place but not supported from top down so it falls through

Advice to Management

Support new standards roll out from top down

10. "Challenge the Status Quo"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer

Pros

Great projects, even better people. Get in while you can - if you want to be challenged and have a life long career changing how the built environment is being developed and challenging the status quo.

Cons

It is work. If it were fun it would be called fun. We work hard and play even harder.

Advice to Management

Would prefer higher wage to all the extras that go with working at PAE.