PAE Consulting Engineers Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Paul T Schwer

1. "Mechanical Engineer"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at PAE Consulting Engineers Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are great to work with. So many of my coworkers have been with the company for 10 plus years. I have also gotten to work on a variety of projects and I've been fortunate enough to do quite a bit of sustainability work as well. One of my favorite parts about the company is that everyone, including the president Paul Schwer, is very accessible and always willing to teach and help you grow in your career.

Also the benefits here are much better than what I've seen/experienced with other engineering firms. I really can see myself staying here for the long run.

Cons

The construction industry can sometimes be hard to work in, with meeting deadlines and occasionally having to stay late to do so. But PAE does take the time each week to look at your schedule and make sure no one is taking on too much work.

2. "A Family Friendly MEP Engineering Firm"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PAE Consulting Engineers Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High percentage of women, especially in technical roles, compared to MEP industry averages. A focus on sustainability and social responsibility. Non-stuffy yet a focus on excellence and performance.

Cons

When it rains it pours, which means a temporary skew of life/work balance.

Advice to Management

Continue keeping a high level talent recruitment to keep the cream of the crop. Continue to improve systems to maintain efficiency, effectiveness and more importantly quality of deliverables.

3. "Solid Company - Constantly Progressing Forward"

Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

Pros

Great employee experience program and incentives
    Ample opportunity to get involved in committees
    One of the better companies for benefits
    Opportunities for volunteering and bonding with coworkers
    Top 100 best companies and top 100 green companies in Oregon

Cons

Some weeks have very long hours

Advice to Management

Some weeks are harder than others to work, but that comes with this field of work. But I feel we are taken care of and our accomplishments are recognized. I appreciate the fact the company continues to progress to exemplify the values that are pushed onto the client regarding energy efficiency and living green.

4. "Fantastic Culture"

Current Employee - Administrative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Administrative in Portland, OR

Pros

Focus and encouragement for career growth.
    Generous compensation and bonus's.
    Benefits are fantastic (Low out of pocket on insurance, paid family leave)
    Fun work atmosphere encouraged by management

Cons

Long hours during busy season
    Lots of policy/ standard put in place but not supported from top down so it falls through

Advice to Management

Support new standards roll out from top down

"An absolute nightmare......"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

PAE USED to be a decent/respectable MEP firm. Those days are long gone. Although in a bad neighborhood, the new office is actually really nice and spacious.

Cons

- A management team that works their loyal employees to the bone, then kicks them to the curb.

- All my co-workers hate their jobs. Every person I talk to in the office is looking to jump ship.........

- A strange office culture. More than half the office are part of a clique. Terrible morale.

Advice to Management

I feel like I made a big mistake coming here.

PAE Consulting Engineers Inc. Response

May 26, 2017 – Director of Employee Experience

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and share your experience at PAE. We are always receptive to constructive feedback as we are always looking for ways we can improve. We regret that ... More

6. "Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PAE Consulting Engineers Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing group of folks to work with. Diverse work environment where everyone gets along great. Everything about the company is great!

Cons

Location would be the only con. Everything else is great about the company. Maybe provide more telecommute options. Would make it perfect.

7. "High Energy, Exciting Projects, Cares About People"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The office has many exciting projects with high sustainability goals. Transparent management, great benefits, commute costs covered 100%, healthcare premiums covered 100% for employees, paid community service time,etc. Growing quickly so there are lots of opportunities for career advancement.

Cons

The office has grown quickly over the past few years, and sometimes the pace can be pretty fast. Office move has been a bit delayed, so things are temporarily crowded.

Advice to Management

Don't stop sharing work across offices with Portland and Seattle. Work hard to maintain the culture of PAE in all offices as you grow.

8. "A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Lighting Designer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Lighting Designer in Portland, OR

Pros

Smart people and conscientious management working together to reach a goal

Cons

Downtown has gone downhill since starting work @ PAE...not exactly their fault...

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing

9. "Compensation"

Current Employee - Office Assistant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Portland, OR

Pros

It is a good job.

Cons

Too many snacks in office.

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Lots of work going on. Management are able to win projects.

Cons

The culture in the San Francisco office is different from the Portland/Seattle offices. Less collaboration and technical leaders of sustainable engineering, feels more like any other MEP engineering firm. Most personnel are former WSP employees, office is essentially a mini-WSP, for better or worse, either you fit the mold or you don't.

Advice to Management

Focus on what PAE is supposed to be known for. Much more corporate feel in SF than the company culture as intended. Lots of corporate double speak, drop it and talk to your employees.