PEP 68 Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
PEP President Dave Kroeger
Dave Kroeger

Pros
  • Work Life balance: expected to work 40 hours and nothing more (in 22 reviews)

• Great experience working with CPG companies (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Because of their low pay the best people leave and the outside people PEP is able to bring in are underperformers (in 7 reviews)

• Some cons could be a high turnover, but Pep is a wonderful place for people to get a great resume started right out of college (in 6 reviews)

1. "Account Executive"

Pros

Fun & Flexible environment, ability to work directly with clients

Cons

Low salary, limited growth opportunities at the time

"The Fun Is Not In The Details"

Former Employee - P&G Team in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - P&G Team in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at PEP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mini-Perks: These are nice incentives handed out once a year just because.
    Spirit Fridays: Drink beer on a Friday during the month and hang out with co-workers. Hosted by the "Spirit Committee".
    Free Parking: Extremely nice parking location downtown.
    Co-Workers Become Friends: Very fun group of people to work with. Large majority very young.
    Vacation: Standard two weeks and you can buy more days of vacation. I will say though that there is something odd about "buying" vacation. Along the lines of a backhanded compliment.
    Training: They will put you through trainings at their expense, which is nice if you take advantage of it.
    Big Brands: You get to work with some major brand names which is very cool and a great résumé builder. The people you meet who work for those brands is hit or miss, but most are insanely knowledgeable and just all around great people.
    Mentor Program: From day one, you are assigned a mentor within the company that is higher up. They can teach you a lot and are really good resources. However, if your mentor leaves the company (good possibility), you lose your mentor and won't get another one for quite some time. I know this from experience.
    Pep Rally: It's fun, it's free and it gets you out of the office. Plus, you learn a good amount from the vendor clinics they host during the pep rally.

Cons

Spirit Fridays: They are more or less used so you can meet the 10 new hires of that week. Turnover is incredibly high, regardless of what they say. It's akin to a college class graduating. Everyone leaves at the same time and in high quantities.
    Making You Feel Valued: I can assure you that upper management will axe you without a second thought. Yea, they might put you on an "Action Plan" so you can prove you can work there, but to most all employees, it's known as a death sentence and I saw it take out a good amount of people. Most say there is little chance that you can pass an Action Plan.
    Honesty Not Encouraged: You'll for sure get in trouble for speaking out and standing up for what you think is right. (Whoever responds to this from the company will say that this concerns them because they respond to almost every bad review so their polished look won't be tarnished.)
    College Lifestyle: Pep won't send you back to school, but they will adopt you into their Greek house of a company. If you're listening Pep, which you are, my vote for a company mascot is "Smoke & Mirrors". That might be too creative for you though...
    Tries To Be Cool: This was true when I was there, not sure anymore, but at one point, the HR department renamed itself the "People, Culture and Development Team" and their "roar" was "Train, retrain and retain!" So cool. Did I mention that selfie sticks were received as a gift during a Pep Rally? #LikeICantEven #CollegeLife
    Management: Woof. A large majority of management is full of weenies. They are so brainwashed in the Pep life that they know nothing other than it. A LOT of them don't know how to lead or grow a team.

Advice to Management

::: To Potential Applicants :::
    As the great Steve Jobs once said, "Keep looking. Don't Settle." You'd be settling if you chose this company. There are plenty of project management firms out there and they are much better and more than likely pay way more. Yea, Pep was voted "Best Workplace in Cincinnati" 4 years in a row, but I can tell you that I have no clue who filled out those surveys (upper management?). Everyone I asked at the company didn't fill one out and I was friends with a large majority of workers there.

::: To Management and Glassdoor Cleaners :::
    Grow up. People who work at this company can see through the facade you're putting forward. You're trying to be the non-corporate corporate company that still wants to be viewed as cool but is just failing miserably at it. Equate it to the teacher's pet in high school, said person was always by the teacher's side but wanted to still hang out with the cool kids. You can't have both and Pep is the poster child for that lifestyle. Treat employees with respect and not as disposable numbers like you do. If someone doesn't mesh with a team, don't get rid of them just because. Maybe they had a crap supervisor or the work wasn't stimulating enough for them. Nothing is sacred to your company and it shows to people who have been there long enough. Go ahead and respond to my negative review. I know you will. Your track record proves it. To an outsider looking in though, it only shows one thing... insecurity.

"Great for first job out of college - stay for 2-3 years then leave"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at PEP full-time

Pros

-Work Life balance: expected to work 40 hours and nothing more. You are able to flex up to 1.5 hours. You can work from home once or twice a month depending on how many years you work there.
    -Working with top CPG companies is great exposure and resume builder. Brand contacts are very great resources if you work on a good brand. It is even that much better if you work in a satellite office and are able to work onsite with your contacts. Take advantage of these relationships!

Cons

-Lack of Leadership: The company is very young which in turn not all supervisors are ready to be supervisors. They do not have enough experience to be leading a team. Hire developed professionals to be supervisors.
    -Low Pay: The salary is not competitive compared to what other project managers are getting paid. No matter how much leadership tries to say it is. The salary requirements are low.
    -Promotions: the promotion increases are very low. They treat promotions like they are hard to get and you need to work through a "plan" in order to get promoted, then once you do it is a very small increase (ie: $1,000 or $3,000). Very low and does not motivate people.
    -Young environment: everyone is very young with little experience. There is lack of maturity. Definitely a place where you stay for 2-3 years then move onto a more mature environment where you are able to truly grow your career professionally. This is not a place where you stay more than 3 years, your career will stay put - no growth. There comes a point where the job does not challenge you. The environment is sort of like high school all over again.
    -Lack of change: no matter how much you try to give leadership advice, and no matter how many people quit with the same feedback, nothing changes. Listen to your feedback and perhaps there will be less turnovers. Turnover is high here for a reason.

Advice to Management

Be a more mature company! Even the clients and suppliers said the same feedback and notice the same turnover trends.

Jan 5, 2017 – Client Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you recognizing the work life balance that we have here at pep! Our employees really value working with some of the top CPG companies; they challenge us ... More

"Great Environment, Great Experience"

I worked at PEP full-time

Pros

The main thing that makes Pep a fun place to work are the people. Very fun, positive, hard-working co-workers.
    Working with Pep's clients is great experience and looks wonderful on a resume.
    Pep offers great benefits and perks.

Cons

The pay is far too low for the work we do and workload we are expected to handle. Pay is not competitive (no matter how many times leadership repeats that it is)- nearly any other PM agency position in Cincinnati starts at least $7-10K higher.
    Workload can vary wildly from team to team and employee to employee. Many teams/individuals are overloaded with no help given.
    Disconnect between senior leadership and the rest of the company (feels like higher ups vs. those down in the trenches, doing the work).

Advice to Management

Try to make sure to stay connected to AEs/SAEs/ACs and the work they do every day. Listen to them when they tell you they're overwhelmed, versus pulling a report to tell them they're not at full capacity.
    If you want to slow down turnover, pay employees fairly for the hard work they do for the company.

"Good experience, and that's about it"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at PEP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, fun environment, good perks

Cons

My satellite office was basically an accounts payable department for the client we were assigned to, company as a whole is very clique-ish during company events, pretty sure (like 95% sure) CEO is sleeping with a few employees

Advice to Management

Grow up

Dec 14, 2016

We’re pleased that you found our pay and perks competitive and our work environment fun. We continue to work toward making employees from satellite offices feel part of the team at company-wide ... More

7. "Account Coordinator"

Current Employee - Account Coordinator
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator

I have been working at PEP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, lots of young employees and room to grow from Account Coordinator to Account Executive. Great place to get your start in consumer promotions and marketing.

Cons

There seems to be a disconnect from Pep HQ in Cincinnati and the satellite teams.

Advice to Management

Focus on helping satellite teams grow.

8. "Account Executive"

Pros

Pep hires very enthusiastic individuals and provides a lot of support to new hires.

Cons

Working in a satellite can be challenging.

9. "Would recommend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at PEP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Really great work/life balance
    -Give you all the tools you need to grow and advance in your career
    -Underrated benefits - compared to many companies
    -Enjoyable work/always something to do
    -NOT micromanaged- can't appreciate this enough
    -Pep does care about the employees and their wellbeing
    -The people that don't do well here typically aren't the right fit for the job

Cons

-work can be stressful at times - but leaders do a good job of balancing project load

Advice to Management

Keep advancing Pep forward. I see great potential in the future.

"Good Stepping Stone job"

Pros

Good people; don't need a lot of experience; fun atmosphere

Cons

Low pay; work is too easy

"Get Your Career Started-Then Move onto Greater"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at PEP (More than a year)

Pros

Career Experience
    Health/Vision/Dental
    Client Exposure
    401K
    Great for College Grads

Cons

Compensation
    Favoritism
    High Turnover rate
    Understaffed
    No true higher level support

Advice to Management

No use. It's all just business...

Jul 6, 2016 – Account Director

Thank you for providing your perspective on the experience you’ve had so far at Pep. I would encourage you to express your specific concerns to your leader or another leader at Pep (feel free to set ... More