Pacific Science Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Will Daugherty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Super fun work environment (if you like working with kids) (in 9 reviews)

• This was a really fun place to work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is on par with other non-profits in the area (in 5 reviews)

• All full-time staff in the science and ed department must have a degree (in 4 reviews)

1. "The best youth job"

I worked at Pacific Science Center part-time

Pros

Low-pressure, rewarding, fun job with good people who want to help you grow that is designed to be easy for a high school schedule to maintain.

Cons

If you're a teen and you need a job for money quickly, the volunteer-to-hire model might not be what you need. But if you have no experience, that volunteering might be what you have to do anyway.

2. "Great company culture"

Former Employee - Exhibit Host
    Former Employee - Exhibit Host

I worked at Pacific Science Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company culture
    Great benefits
    Most guests are super happy and easy to deal with
    Regular happy hours
    Supportive administration
    Senior leadership are familiar with and friendly to lower staff
    One of our cashiers got to keep a fidget spinner a teacher threw in the pond

Cons

Some of the departments can be cliquey at first
    Senior leadership is friendly and claim to have an open door policy but a lot of requests (even as simple as a new microphone) were often left unanswered
    Hard to move up-- very competitive

Advice to Management

Listen to your grunts-- we're not stupid. Most senior leadership were wonderful but Will's tone-deaf pep talks were more of a morale tanker than anything. Also why was the CEO in charge of pricing the cafe? $3.50 for a rice krispie treat? Really?

3. "Great Teaching Experience"

I worked at Pacific Science Center part-time

Pros

Consistent work, high energy, upwards mobility, lots of engaging material and organized yet flexible curriculum!

Cons

Incredibly stressful, the work really takes its toll on you over the course of the summer. Unfortunately teachers start to drop like flies towards the end, which is really tough.

4. "Great People, disorganized structure"

I have been working at Pacific Science Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers at the science center have been, hands-down, the best group of coworkers I have had. The people are great, fun, and supportive of each other. The work environment and culture are generally positive, and the great majority of the staff genuinely care about the mission of the organization.

Cons

There is far too little communication between departments, especially between the office staff (marketing, HR, design, admin) and front-facing staff (education, guest services). This leads to some truly absurd things getting handed down to the front-facing staff as fait accompli, with no chances for those who actually interact with guests to give their input about the likely effects of these changes. HR especially has had problems and a lot of turnover (leaking entire staff's W2s to a scammer this past year- not great) lately. The CEO is very nice and clearly well-meaning, but doesn't seem to be very well connected to the day-to-day realities of the museum.

Advice to Management

TALK TO YOUR STAFF. For god's sake, please, we want to help you!

5. "Loved it - Always needs work"

I worked at Pacific Science Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working at Pacific Science Center, it was one of the best jobs I have ever had. I started as an entry level host and worked my way to a coordinator/lead position. I left after 3.5 years with tears in my eyes. Every boss that I had (GS, events, etc.) always cared about me and wanted me to succeed. I always felt like I had someone in my corner and that felt amazing. The people I worked with are now some of my best friends and the morale on the floor is great! I can't believe how many people are still in my life because of this place.

Cons

Pay will always be an issue at non-profits (I understand that), however it always felt like the floor level employees were getting the shaft in terms of decision making. Decisions would trickle down from upper management with little regard as to how it would effect floor staff. As the people who interact with guests on a regular basis we should have at least some say (or at least asked how we think it would affect guest interactions) in decisions that might effect the way we do our job. We don't need to be the ULTIMATE decision maker but it felt like things were done with little regard for the employees. It would be nice to feel included in high level (or even mid level) guest interaction decision making as we would be able to give insight as to whether things might actually work.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, if you cant pay them more (I know you are working on that and I am sure people appreciate the effort). Let them help you decide how the floor should be run. Or if major decisions or changes need to happen AT LEAST consult with them so they can give you insight. Management always said they know what it's like on the floor - however I never saw them out on the floor interacting with guests. This is not their fault as EVERYONE is overworked or made to do things that are not in their job description.

6. "Low Pay, Good People"

I have been working at Pacific Science Center full-time

Pros

Great work environment with very intelligent, friendly colleagues. Excellent education and science-based culture of learning in the workplace.

Cons

Salaries are low for the region, it can be difficult to push projects forward since it is such a large institution.

Nov 13, 2017 – VP for HR

Thank you for making time to share your positive work experience. We work hard to attract and engage employees and volunteers aligned with our mission. Learning and development is an increasingly... More

7. "Part Time Outreach Educator - Excellent Coworkers"

I worked at Pacific Science Center part-time

Pros

Flexible and intelligent staff who are committed to serving the community

Cons

At times, coordination between departments feels rusty.

8. "An Unweeded Garden"

Former Employee - Lead in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Lead in Seattle, WA

I worked at Pacific Science Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Science Center is a neat workplace that brings joy to a lot of people. The work is interesting if you are interested in it. The benefits (medical, dental, and movie perks) are pretty good. The company finances seem to be in very good hands, and they are working really hard to deliver strong and exciting new programming while stably recovering from 2008, hopefully moving to neither a borrower nor lender be.

Cons

Constantly public facing work is draining for everybody which leads to a constant feeling of no time and a lot of pressure to perform well with little support. Except Discovery Corps, the roles here aren't built for growth. Few managers (maybe a third) are interested in developing and growing their staff. Many have the skills or traits needed to be good project managers, but are poor human managers. Support and understanding (and therefore trust) are inconsistent. A battalion of little sorrows add up.

Advice to Management

Something is rotten in the state of the Science Center. The pay and the hours and the cynicism are symptoms. I don't know what underlies the difficulties, but the culture of the place lead quickly to unhappiness and high turn over. I'd recommend finding your strong human managers and giving them a shot at reworking the culture. Consider finding ways to leverage the project management skills of the project people and either growing their people skills or removing that requirement of them. Make it a place people want to KEEP working at.

Best of Luck.

Nov 13, 2017 – VP for HR

Thank you for your feedback. I’m continually impressed with the energy and enthusiasm that our guest facing staff, both employees and volunteers, bring to their work every day. Financial stability is... More

"Good working environment"

I worked at Pacific Science Center full-time

Pros

Membership perks as long as you work there

Cons

Very hectic and stressful at time. Class sizes were very large (25 kids to 2 teachers).

Nov 13, 2017 – VP for HR

I’m glad to hear that you had a positive experience working at Pacific Science Center. Our programs are very popular. That said we strive to ensure each visitor / guest / camper / student has an... More

10. "Fun job"

I worked at Pacific Science Center part-time

Pros

Moving around
    Talking to guests
    Fair amount of breaks and lunch time

Cons

Tedious
    Not a lot of cons