Pacific Science Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Will Daugherty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Super fun work environment (if you like working with kids) (in 8 reviews)

• This was a really fun place to work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Like all educational non-profits, pay leaves something to be desired (in 6 reviews)

• All full-time staff in the science and ed department must have a degree (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great culture"

Pros

Company culture, great coworkers, mission, membership

Cons

Pay rate was very low compared to education and experience of hires.

2. "Project Delivery"

I have been working at Pacific Science Center part-time

Pros

Open ended design ideas and time flexible

Cons

You need to make things happen on your own, you are just given the details of what is needed

May 21, 2018 – VP for HR

Thank you for this valuable observation. Depending on your perspective this can be challenging or enormously rewarding. Colleagues (both employees and volunteers) are encouraged to collaborate and be... More

3. "Plenty of Pros and Cons"

I have been working at Pacific Science Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- nice social network within the science center as a whole
    - encourage you to learn and keep up to speed with current science
    - be a part of a seattle historical institution

Cons

- VERY much a non-profit. never enough money for things that need to happen.
    - senior leadership team seems open and friendly, but nothing ever really changes when brought to their attention.
    - if you are below a supervisor, you will not be heard or fairly treated.
    - no raises with very low pay.
    - don't get paid out on sick-time or vacation when you leave.

Advice to Management

Listen to those who do the work on the very basic level. They are the ones who work with the public and know what the science center needs. Stop thinking about the science center as this great huge thing in the seattle quilt; try to fix things on a micro scale before trying to do grand things on a macro scale.

May 21, 2018 – VP for HR

Your feedback is appreciated. And heard. Thank you. It’s exciting to hear that you feel encouraged to learn and keep up with current science. PSC is all about learning and growth for our guests and... More

4. "Definitely working for a not-for-profit"

I have been working at Pacific Science Center full-time

Pros

The staff is full of wonderful people who really care about their jobs and the work that they do.

Cons

It can be super frustrating to work someplace that doesn't have the budget to make very many meaningful changes.

Mar 19, 2018 – VP for HR

Thank you for your comments and feedback. Like you, I continue to be impressed with the tremendous support our colleagues provide to each other and contributions our talented employees and volunteers... More

"Awesome Place to Grow"

Former Employee - Special Exhibit Host (Temporary)
    Former Employee - Special Exhibit Host (Temporary)

I worked at Pacific Science Center part-time

Pros

One of the best teams I've ever been a part of. Very positive environment. Majority of staff is very excited to make the day of the guests coming in to enjoy the Science Center.
    Lots of opportunities to learn something new. The imax and laserdome tickets were nice when scheduling allowed me to enjoy them. Having guests walk away dazzled after sharing an amazing moment with them was the best part of my days. Permanent staff have access to discounted orca cards. The Leads are nice folks.
    The Science Center has made larger strides in connecting with the community and giving more people access to science, like working to give foster kids memberships or with their Science on Wheels program. It felt good to be a part of an institution that cares like that. I got to help make a lot of awesome moments happen.

Cons

Back of house leads have a tendency to make decisions that don't actually help front of house leading to confusion and frayed nerves on the staff that have to implement those policies. For example, when ticketing partnerships with another institution are implemented or programs are created and not telling the staff who's area it directly affects. I would have loved to talk up those programs if I had known about them sooner.
     Burnout is a major issue. They try to alleviate it but they're not quite there yet. The temp staff don't have enough perks to dampen the strain. When our hours are before we open to the public to after the rest of the Center closes, and we're too wiped to really enjoy much, especially with how understaffed we were.
    Temp staff needs access to bus cards. My team discussed quite a few times how much easier it would have made our time there if we didn't have to worry quite as much about transportation costs. Not having them almost gives a "we're not worth it" feel. Especially when learned that temp staff used to get them.

Advice to Management

Talk to your staff. There were a lot of issues that could have at least been dampened a little bit if there was more discussion between heads and floor staff on how things were going. Being told several days before an exhibit is over not to yell at guests by a lead staff member who never came to talk to us personally at any time before wasn't appreciated and showed no understanding. We know our space. We understand how it works. Maybe every now and then be out on the floor for a longer length of time during busy periods so the floor staff get to see you trying to help and you get more of a taste of how things are actually working. It's amazing how helpful it is to morale to see the higher ups on the floor working just as hard as you are and showing that they care as much as they say. That and create some more situations for departments to cross over so staff learn a little more empathy in regards to what other areas have to deal with. Overall I love the Science Center and want nothing more than to see it succeed.

Mar 9, 2018 – VP for HR

Thank you for your feedback. PSC is very proud of the Enable Access initiatives. Providing foster children with Science Center membership is one of several programs underway to make science and... More

6. "Great company culture"

Former Employee - Exhibit Host
    Former Employee - Exhibit Host

I worked at Pacific Science Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company culture
    Great benefits
    Most guests are super happy and easy to deal with
    Regular happy hours
    Supportive administration
    Senior leadership are familiar with and friendly to lower staff
    One of our cashiers got to keep a fidget spinner a teacher threw in the pond

Cons

Some of the departments can be cliquey at first
    Senior leadership is friendly and claim to have an open door policy but a lot of requests (even as simple as a new microphone) were often left unanswered
    Hard to move up-- very competitive

Advice to Management

Listen to your grunts-- we're not stupid. Most senior leadership were wonderful but Will's tone-deaf pep talks were more of a morale tanker than anything. Also why was the CEO in charge of pricing the cafe? $3.50 for a rice krispie treat? Really?

Feb 2, 2018 – VP for HR

Yes, we do have an amazing culture at PSC. This institution is a Seattle landmark. And that’s due in large part to our people… the generations of both volunteers and employees like you who have... More

7. "Great Teaching Experience"

I worked at Pacific Science Center part-time

Pros

Consistent work, high energy, upwards mobility, lots of engaging material and organized yet flexible curriculum!

Cons

Incredibly stressful, the work really takes its toll on you over the course of the summer. Unfortunately teachers start to drop like flies towards the end, which is really tough.

Feb 2, 2018 – VP for HR

I’m delighted to hear that you had a positive teaching experience at the Science Center. We have fantastic educators and it is inspiring to watch them on the floor and in classrooms helping bring... More

8. "Great People, disorganized structure"

I have been working at Pacific Science Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers at the science center have been, hands-down, the best group of coworkers I have had. The people are great, fun, and supportive of each other. The work environment and culture are generally positive, and the great majority of the staff genuinely care about the mission of the organization.

Cons

There is far too little communication between departments, especially between the office staff (marketing, HR, design, admin) and front-facing staff (education, guest services). This leads to some truly absurd things getting handed down to the front-facing staff as fait accompli, with no chances for those who actually interact with guests to give their input about the likely effects of these changes. HR especially has had problems and a lot of turnover (leaking entire staff's W2s to a scammer this past year- not great) lately. The CEO is very nice and clearly well-meaning, but doesn't seem to be very well connected to the day-to-day realities of the museum.

Advice to Management

TALK TO YOUR STAFF. For god's sake, please, we want to help you!

Feb 2, 2018 – VP for HR

Thank you for your feedback. We do have great colleagues (both volunteers and employees) at Pacific Science Center. Prior to my arrival 6 months ago, a targeted phishing attack and breach of personal... More

9. "Loved it - Always needs work"

I worked at Pacific Science Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working at Pacific Science Center, it was one of the best jobs I have ever had. I started as an entry level host and worked my way to a coordinator/lead position. I left after 3.5 years with tears in my eyes. Every boss that I had (GS, events, etc.) always cared about me and wanted me to succeed. I always felt like I had someone in my corner and that felt amazing. The people I worked with are now some of my best friends and the morale on the floor is great! I can't believe how many people are still in my life because of this place.

Cons

Pay will always be an issue at non-profits (I understand that), however it always felt like the floor level employees were getting the shaft in terms of decision making. Decisions would trickle down from upper management with little regard as to how it would effect floor staff. As the people who interact with guests on a regular basis we should have at least some say (or at least asked how we think it would affect guest interactions) in decisions that might effect the way we do our job. We don't need to be the ULTIMATE decision maker but it felt like things were done with little regard for the employees. It would be nice to feel included in high level (or even mid level) guest interaction decision making as we would be able to give insight as to whether things might actually work.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, if you cant pay them more (I know you are working on that and I am sure people appreciate the effort). Let them help you decide how the floor should be run. Or if major decisions or changes need to happen AT LEAST consult with them so they can give you insight. Management always said they know what it's like on the floor - however I never saw them out on the floor interacting with guests. This is not their fault as EVERYONE is overworked or made to do things that are not in their job description.

Feb 2, 2018 – VP for HR

Thank you for sharing your tremendously positive work experience at PSC! A recent internal survey underscores your point that both employees and volunteers have strong positive connections with their... More

10. "The best youth job"

I worked at Pacific Science Center part-time

Pros

Low-pressure, rewarding, fun job with good people who want to help you grow that is designed to be easy for a high school schedule to maintain.

Cons

If you're a teen and you need a job for money quickly, the volunteer-to-hire model might not be what you need. But if you have no experience, that volunteering might be what you have to do anyway.