PageGroup Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
PageGroup CEO Steve Ingham
Steve Ingham

Pros
Cons
  • Not ideal if you care about work life balance (in 73 reviews)

• Not really a con but you have to be prepared to work long hours - everyone in the office before 8am and only the experienced (been there for 5 (in 137 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Training, Great Progression Options"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have number worked in recruitment before and after meeting Michael Page I was convinced to that this was a role I could not over look. Once I began the training was excellent, the support from colleagues and Management / Directors was incredible. Everyone was very welcoming and friendly and would always help you when you needed it.

As I have developed in the role hard work pays off. Promotion targets are clear and once you hit these you are prompted and the next target is put in front of you. All of the senior directors, senior management and even the CEO started as a recruitment consultant, evidencing this.

The culture is great, not only do you work hard but you play hard too. Achievements are always celebrated properly and you are always congratulated when you do well.

Their is no other recruitment company I would work for, I would always recommend to a friend and my advice would be to stick at it as your rewards will come as I have witnessed first hand.

Cons

- Long hours
    - Recruitment can be very up and down. Having a strong can do attitude is vital

Advice to Management

Page Group as an environment is a great place to work. All levels of management interact with all disciplines of the business, which as a new employee is refreshing to see. My Director has been really supportive since day 1 which has been vital having not been from a recruitment environment before - keep it up!!

2. "Great pay and benefits, better people!"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I want to preface this by saying that when I was hired at Michael Page I had no previous sales or recruitment experience. For me, at the time, working in sales meant pushing products onto people that they did not want nor need. I noticed early on that, even though that it is very much a sales environment, the people at the Michael Page Chicago office has a sense of pride in both their job and their company that is hard to not notice, and it is clearly reflected in the work they do.

As someone who had never been in this arena before, the job was very challenging for the first few months. I was sent to NYC for week-long training, and took part of numerous smaller training groups held by different managers in the business. Although training is at its heaviest for your first few months, it really never stops. Training will be available for you whenever you feel the need, or if the managers feel you are struggling in a particular field, they will devote training specifically for you and your needs. Through their training and help, I went from someone who barely knew what Recruitment was, to the person on track for his SECOND promotion within a year (first received after a few months!).

Recruitment and recruiters often get a bad rap as being a churn and burn business, where your value is only what you contribute. To an extent, this could be true, but there are some key differentiators between MP and other firms. As with any sales-related role, this job is the best job you could ever have when it goes well. High base salary, outstanding bonuses, trips, and countless other perks. When it goes bad, however, it is grueling. The difference between MP and other firms is that when things are not going so well, they won't leave you hanging, they will do everything they can to make sure you can be successful.

I had the Managing Director of Boston and Chicago sit down with me and craft out LinkedIn messages, go through my daily activities, and helping me establish a long-term plan for myself. From what I see at other places, people in that high of a position rarely devote that amount of time to new starters, which can be a testament on their devotion to develop new recruiters.

I have had the great fortune to work alongside some amazing individuals. Not just great recruiters, but great people. I have developed many personal skills and learned so much about my own capabilities that I never would have without the fantastic management team of MP Chicago.

The managers are there to help every step of the way, to push you when you lose your motivation, and to celebrate with you when you see success. And success you will see, just listen to your manager.

Cons

Great success does not come free. The opportunities available for you are unmatched on the market, but you will have to work to attain them. The first year at MP can be very grueling with late nights and early mornings to get your business off the ground, however, once it does, your life becomes very different.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. The 'I don't want to get out of bed' feeling we all have in the morning disappears as soon as you walk into this buzzing and energetic office, so make sure to keep it up as you grow!

3. "Great career opportunity & top leaders!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PageGroup is an amazing place for someone to be placed in the driver seat of their career and have full control of their earning potential and success. With most sales and recruiting career paths, the first year will be tough and therefore the company has put in place clear metrics to track performance and recognize success. Don't know too many companies out there that offer uncapped earning potential, clear path for promotion (12-18 month management track), national / international career mobility and a stellar leadership team takes the time to invest in people that are truly engaged and motivated to be successful.

Cons

While there can be some enhancements to the current CRM system and databases, the company is making an honest effort to address issues with IT and have a task force in place to ensure that business operations are not sacrificed due to IT. Furthermore, there can be a bit more investment in marketing / branding. PageGroup is a very strong and reputable name in the Recruiting industry for most of the world, not as prevalent in newer, less established offices in the US.

Advice to Management

Take a bit more time to consider many, if not all factors before making strategic decisions. Also, make sure performance expectations for people under 1 year in the business are realistic and consistent across the company.

"Great Job, Company & Opportunity!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

GROWTH - I've worked at Michael Page Chicago for 11 months now and it has been great. I have been promoted twice and have started to build and manage my own team. This combined with the plans of Chicago and North America make this a fantastic opportunity for anyone who wants to grow at their own pace and take their career into their own hands.

DEVELOPMENT - We offer some of the best sales training in the world. In the past few months, I have been to our North American Head Quarters in NYC several times for training with directors and peers from across our 11 Regional offices. Also, we run daily/weekly training sessions and role plays in our office to prepare and develop our consultants for what the job entails - I have recently started training new consultants too, which has been fantastic. This is a business that invests in their employees and wants to see everyone succeed.

INCENTIVES - The incentives we offer are simply amazing! In the past few months I have dined at some of the finest restaurants and attended some of the best events in the city. Also, I just came back from a High Flyers trip to San Diego with top performers from across our North American offices. This is in addition to receiving significant quarterly bonuses on top of a great base salary.

Cons

No cons if you are resilient and are willing to put in the effort to succeed!

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the future leaders of the business!

6. "Great company culture... Fantastic opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Stamford, CT

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A work hard, play hard, type of company where you get exactly what you put in. It is very much a family feel within the organisation with great management structure and people you can always go to when you hit a road block. One of the great things about Michael Page is the growth structure that they do have in place. There will be no favorites here, when you hit your targets and you will be promoted.
    Another great thing that led me to Michael Page is the advanced training regiment that they conduct. This is not only for the new employees but also to people who have been here for years, making sure everybody is knowledgeable within their given job title.

Cons

This job is not for everybody. Recruitment takes a long time for everything to start falling into place. This can be extremely frustrating at first before you build your book of business, but once you do, you will reap the benefits.

7. "Great place to build a career and get the training needed for it!"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with Michael Page for four years and have worked in two different offices / countries. In all honesty, I must say Michael Page is a great place to build a career. Not only do you go through a great training program and work alongside talented people, but management is also willing to invest in you if you show effort and dedication. Furthermore, the company provides a great opportunity to manage a team.

- Great Culture – Fun environment with great people that are talented, driven and ambitious
    - Awesome Career Progression – Clear target to promotion; teams are grown organically (e.g. all Managers and Directors started as Consultants)
    - Fantastic Training Program – Ongoing training by office management, the training team as well as Director across North America
    - Entrepreneurial Environment – Ability to build your own business by targeted industry; you will manage your clients and candidates and eventually hire and grow your own team

Cons

If you want a challenge, this is it! You are dealing with people all day and we all know human beings are complex creatures. It’s really important to be resilient and keep the hard work in the highs and the lows
    Michael Page has gotten way better in giving people flexibility and work-life balance, but they can still improve in the ability to work remotely

Advice to Management

Great support by management. It’s great to finally find a place where management recognizes you for the work you do.
    I know remote work is something the company is working on – please make it happen!

8. "Not right for someone with any other aspirations besides lifelong recruiting"

Former Employee - Associate Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good starting salary, extensive training, people immediately know your name and want to hang out outside of work, easy to make fast friends, good location

Cons

brainwashing, vulgar and inappropriate behavior tolerated by managers, need to know people to get ahead, "if you're not succeeding, you're not trying hard enough" attitude, gossipy

Advice to Management

The idea that to get to any position you just need to accomplish certain benchmarks and accomplishments is a fine theory, but not all of those people are meant to be leaders, directors, and managers. In addition, they aren't necessarily the best recruiters because many of the best are poached by other companies.

PageGroup Response

May 17, 2017 – Richard Vickers, Regional Managing Director, North America

I am very disappointed to hear that you had such a negative experience during your time at PageGroup. We do not in any way condone inappropriate or vulgar work behavior at Michael Page and I invite ... More

9. "Great Training, Awful Work Enviornment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent recruitment training, with two paid week-long training trips to New York. You will be years ahead of your peers with this recruitment training.

Cons

Awful work environment that is often hostile. 10 hour work days are considered short and you're looked down on for leaving after 10 hours instead of 12 or 13... everyday is a ticking time clock before you're fired, sink or swim mentality here, employees are encouraged to engage in questionable activities to get through sales cold calls

Advice to Management

Manage the expectations better of the interviewees. You prey on naive young adults, selling them on a glamorous life, who end up being discouraged when they find out the truth.

10. "Challenging but rewarding"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Stamford, CT

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part about the job is that you get a very entrepreneurial experience with help if you need it. You're able to get guidance, but for the most part can schedule your day as you want, and do the job as if you were your own boss. If you work hard you can get promoted very quickly as you have black and white targets which guarantee promotion. There is absolutely a lot of money to be made if you're successful.

Cons

Like any sales job it can be hot and cold at times. It's a very competitive and results oriented environment which isn't for everyone.

"Great Pay, Great Training, lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have never posted a review on glassdoor or yelp or anything, but Michael Page is worth it. The entry level pay is almost $50K which is more than any other recruitment firm I have seen, and there is uncapped earnings on top of that based on how well you do.

The training is phenomenal, so thorough, and the company is really moving in the right direction. Things weren't perfect before, and never will be, but there is a new MD and director for Chicago both of whom are smart, and caring. I can see myself working here for a long time, there is so much opportunity for growth in Chicago.

Cons

no cons, I want us to be bigger, and leadership seems really focused on this as well.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive changes, lets grow, we should outgrow this office ASAP!