PageGroup Reviews | Glassdoor

PageGroup CEO Steve Ingham
Steve Ingham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance - Michael Page is very transparent about what the hours are when you interview here" (in 93 reviews)

• "Long hours, micro management, relatively inexperienced management" (in 180 reviews)

1. "SO much support at this company!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have never worked for an organization where you are continuously recognized for the hard work you put it. The work you do for this organization definitely does not go unnoticed. Not only are you rewarded with uncapped commission starting on day one, fun monthly breakfast and dinner incentives, and quarterly all expense trips, but most importantly you are recognized by the leaders, managers, directors, managing directors and so on. The leaders offer so much support and training for their consultants to see success. This is an organization where you will learn a lot, make money, and build great friendships if you come in with a positive attitude and a motivated mind set!

Cons

Not necessarily a con but advice to anyone reading this, if you are not a hard worker, and do not want to do more work and go above and beyond for a company that can do so much for you, then this place is not for you.

"A brilliant place to work for natural networkers and growing Sales-professionals"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed Managing Director, very Diplomatic and well-spoken. Leniency on the lunch break, encouragement of work-life balance, gym breaks, solid lunches.

Cons

May not be the right fit for someone who is unready to contribute to building business through business development and networking.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Input = Output"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Michael Page has been a great company to work for since I joined over two years ago. We're a transparent culture with clear expectations and the development tools to create successful recruiters and salespeople. This is a sales role through and through, and you get out of it what you put into it.

This is not a job that anyone will find success in if they want to leave at 5pm every day if they want to go to SoulCycle.

This is a job you will find success in if you are a professionally aggressive individual who wants to grow your career at a global company. We have managers from other countries who transfer to our Chicago office because we have grown so quickly so fast and continue to beat out revenue expectations month after month.

It's challenging, it's rewarding, and it's fun.

Cons

A recruitment consultant role at Michael Page is a hard role to "ramp up" in your first six months. Resilience is a key trait we look for in candidates. Dealing with tough or ambiguous situations as a recruiter can be taxing if you do not have the right mentality to roll with the punches and push through.

Every top performer has had a tough month, a tough quarter, or a tough year. We get that- but it's on the individual to have the right attitude and resourcefulness to come in prepared to make a career and a name for themselves as well as for help when needed.

Also sometimes the office gets a little cold.

Advice to Management

Continue to be clear and transparent with goals. Be consistent across all consultants

4. "Great place to start career in recruitment/sales"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent people (depending on team)
    - High base salary
    - Fun incentives
    - Generally a great culture
    - Top tier training program for recruitment/sales

Cons

- Low commission/bonus compared to market
    - Growing quickly, so they make a lot of terrible hires
    - Brainwash people into thinking that there is no place better than Michael Page

Advice to Management

Invest in the talented individuals you have before they get headhunted to better firms.

"Endless Opportunities to Grow!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Century City, CA
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Century City, CA

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Promotional Structure- You get promoted based on merit, not on tenure. Every goal and expectation is clearly laid out
    Training- upper management REALLY want you to succeed! There is an excellent training program and consistent training throughout your career.
    Incentives- there's always incentives in play to give you that extra push to succeed. Whether it be High Flyers trips every quarter or a team trip to a Professional NBA game, they have a variety of opportunities to get something more than just a paycheck.

Cons

This job isn't for everyone. This job forces you to confront your weaknesses head on. If you don't have that intrinsic motivation to grow and succeed, this job isn't for you.

"WORSE RECRUITING AGENCY in NYC"

Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No PROs that I can think of. Oh wait, their office in NYC is nice

Cons

I don’t know how these people make a living. If you are in the market for a job/new career DO NOT USE PAGE GROUP IN NYC. They will bring you in for an “initial interview” even if you are not from the NYC, they will still expect you to go in to meet (it’s probably a internal quota they need to meet) so once you have your interview be prepared to NEVER hear from them again. The “senior” recruiter I met with was a very nice girl however I don’t know how she makes a living bc she disappeared after speaking for close to one hour and never returned my follow up emails, or calls. Step your game up PAGE GROUP NYC because My experience was negative 5 stars.

Advice to Management

Get your recruiters more motivated because they are terrible and do not help anyone.

PageGroup Response

Jan 25, 2019 – Richard Vickers, Regional Managing Director, North America

We believe there is an immense value in meeting our candidates under the condition they reside in a reasonably close proximity to our offices. A face-to-face interview enables us to more effectively... More

"Recruitment Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at PageGroup full-time

Pros

Great place if you are a single young person wanting to drink. You won't have a real career from this but you can make money until you figure out what you want to do.

Cons

Majority of the reviews are fake. Management asks employees to write fake reviews to push negative reviews to the bottom. Employees will tell potential new hires they love the company and job just to get their referral money. Save your time and go work for a company that actually cares about their employees. You are just another number for management to hit their headcount, you can be replaced and they will make sure you know that. Management is a joke. Anyone can become a manager whether they have the leadership abilities or not. The MD is a disrespectful and unethical person.

At the end of the day it is another terrible recruitment company.

Advice to Management

We're the ones making you money, treat us with respect.

"Associate Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at PageGroup full-time

Pros

My time at Michael Page was cut short due to health reasons, or I would no doubt still be with the company. This is definitely not a job for everyone, so in the interview process don’t just try to sell yourself but listen to what you’re being told. Transparency is what I appreciate most about my time with the company. They tell you in the interview process that you’re going to have to work hard and you know on your first day of work what is expected of you in your career. They give you the tools to reach those goals, but your success is ultimately in your hands. Asking for help is encouraged. I can personally say I never felt uncomfortable admitting I needed guidance to anyone at any level in the company. The culture is what you make of it. It’s a business and that comes first, but they also know you work your best if you’re at your best. I would recommend Michael Page to anyone who is interested in pushing themselves to reach a goal that will be compensated financially and with the whole office cheering you on.

Cons

If you don’t like competition, you won’t enjoy this job. If you’re comfortable with doing the bare minimum, you won’t ever know the success that the company can offer.
    The job is high stress and fast paced. That’s not a con, but something that’s not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent and open to feedback. How communication between directors and managers is relayed to consultants could probably use some work - but that’s with any growing company. Sometimes information feels a bit like a game of telephone and you’re unsure what you were actually suppose to take from it.

"Ever growing, market leader"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

What I appreciate:
    Team based, interactive environment with high levels of shared business and cross selling which you seldom see in sales environments.
    The money. This is a sales role and hard work means more of it. Because of this I’ve been able to travel the world and experience so much more than I ever thought possible.
    The training is ace. The on-board training is excellent. But it doesn't stop there. Whatever your title, your managers stay close to you and are constantly tailoring their training to your specific development needs. This has led to a high level of promotions across the office.
    It's a performance-based culture. We give 20+ PTO days and on top of this, if you are hitting your goals, you’re empowered to run your own schedule and are given flexibility.
    We strive to be better. Every business has things they want to improve on. In everything MP does, even if they're already getting it right, they don't rest on this and are constantly doing taking steps to be better.
    The service that we offer is personal and real. It’s not just a numbers game. In our line of work, we're changing people’s lives in finding them new jobs or hires. The goal for each hire is to place someone into a long-term role in the hope that when they get promoted into a leadership role, they want to continue that relationship with us. Rewarding!
    Finally, the Chicago office has grown tremendously since I joined, both in size and culture. We’re moving into an edgy new office, have the best internal infrastructure that we’ve ever had (due to a high level of internal promotions) and have invested into Chicago based TA and Training functions.

Cons

Sales can be the best and worst job in the world, lots of highs and lows. It isn't for everyone. While we sell in a solutions orientated, consultative way, it is still sales and there are still targets, this isn't going to change. However, having worked in the industry for a long time, I firmly believe that MP set's the bar high. We expect a lot from our employees, however if you're willing to commit, you can move up very quickly and earn top money.

Advice to Management

Keep adapting and striving to be better.

10. "Great place for both new & experienced Sales Professionals"

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While working in our Chicago office, I can genuinely say that I've never felt more supported and backed by a business in my career than I do here. I joined PageGroup with previous sales experience, so was privy to the standard "lines" delivered by management in sales interviews: "meritocracy", "flexibility", "uncapped earnings", etc. I took these things with a grain of salt, of course, but have been pleasantly surprised at how well they have been demonstrated by management in my time here.

The biggest draw for me to PageGroup was the fact that as a Sales person, I do not HAVE to move into management in order to further my career. I can still receive (significant) raises and title increases, without having to manage and grow a team on a day-to-day basis.

This is also the most collaborative sales environment I've ever worked in. Although I'm firmly of the mindset that the best Sales people are absolute control freaks when it comes to their clients and processes, the team structure at Page allows for you to control your entire book of business, while also working collaboratively to reap the benefits of the talented Consultants around you (and still be rewarded appropriately).

The Chicago office specifically, is also a really great place to be right now. We're on 23 months (maybe 22? not sure, hard to keep track!) of hitting our budget number, we have a great leadership team, we're moving into a custom-built office in December, and we house some of the best Consultants in the business. The buzz is palpable!

Cons

I agree with some other reviews that the CRM system could use an upgrade. The fact that we're a $2 billion company, but don't have a globally integrated system is a bit shocking, but on the flip-side, given the clients we target, I doubt it is too much of a hindrance to our Consultants "making money". Plus, our IT team is GREAT, so that's a huge plus.

Some other reviews have mentioned work time rigidity, but honestly, I've never had an issue running late or heading out early. It is to be expected that if you're under-performing and ALSO coming in late, leaving early - that's not really appropriate. What I would suggest is some additional flexibility around hours. I value my evenings, and would much rather come in at 7am and leave at 5pm, without that being too much of a deviation from the norm.

We do a ton of sales incentives, which is great, but "bragging rights" isn't always the best motivation, especially for experienced Consultants. Loosen the purse strings a bit and allow Team Leads the ability to expense back cocktails, giftcards, lunches, etc. for their Consultants that win smaller, team competitions - that sort of recognition goes a long way in retention and motivation. If there is a specific budget for this already, make sure your Managers know it (and are encouraged to use it)!

Advice to Management

Keep communication clear and constant, and focus on hiring intelligent, charismatic, HUNGRY Consultants. Don't fall into the trap of making internal hires just because they'll pound the pavement with a smile - hire rising stars that will add to our revenue numbers AND culture.