PageGroup Reviews | Glassdoor

PageGroup CEO Steve Ingham
Steve Ingham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The culture perpetuates a terrible work/life balance" (in 87 reviews)

• "Can be long-hours and high-intensity" (in 173 reviews)

"The Boston office is doing it Right!!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Before I list the highlights of the company below, I first want to start with a short story on how I started at Michael Page in Boston and where I am today! When I joined MP, I was transitioning out of an intense Retail District Management position that I spent multiple years moving up the ranks. The work/life balance was very harsh—I managed 30 employees and had to constantly drive back and forth to my stores. After three years with the company, I knew this was not ideal thinking 10 years down the line and I needed a change. I applied to Michael Page and during the Interview process, I immediately knew the Boston Office was for me when I noticed how thorough they were on who they hired and how much time they spent interviewing me. I had a total of 3 in-person interviews, a caliper test, met with 3 senior managers, met the Managing Director of the office and even the Senior Managing Director of most North America’s offices. I got the job and I felt not just wanted but cared for. Now it is 9 months later and my work/life balance is superb. I am about 3 months away from making it to Senior Consultant and I am in control of my future at this company. My family is happy and my pockets are happy!

The Pros:

1. Excellent Career Growth!!!

2. The only company that has a promotional structure that again is "Doing it
         Right".

3. Your Promotions are based on your personal performance and breaking past
         KPI / Revenue tiers it is not Discretionary or promotions based off your boss’
        timeline. It also doesn’t matter if your liked or not because your successes bring
        you up the ranks.

4. 4 weeks of PTO. Yes That's 20 PTO days plus all the usual holidays!

5. Five-Star training from management with even a dedicated employee
         training department out of the NY office. They send you to the HQ in the first
         few weeks to not just make sure you start off right with the best training but
         also to show you that you’re an investment because they pay for the whole trip.

6. CULTURE is great, everyone is so nice and the Boston office is like one big
         Family—we celebrate every success, big or small, with holiday parties,
         quarterly bashes and additional incentives given to you throughout the year.

7. Leadership is on point. From lower management to upper management, they all
         care! All the Managing Directors I have met and worked with not only act as
         leaders but inspire and influence their offices to reach for the top and be the
         best, no matter what it takes.

8. Work/life balance is great. After I complete my daily work, I go home without
         anything to do but enjoy my family.

9. If you hit your quota and do what you are asked, it feels as if you run your own
         business. You are trained to control your market and build your own business
         which means you can run it the way you see fit (with additional mentorship
         from successful leaders in the business).

10. The job market and employment is HOT right now – it has never been a better
             time to be a recruiter.

Cons

No Complaints that i can think of

Advice to Management

Keep Training and hiring the way you already do!

"Awesome company to work for!"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Clear career path- chance to manage a team and essentially run your own business within 2 years
    - Hard-working, fun-loving group of people!! I genuinely enjoy coming to work every day
    - Extremely supportive management- Managers WANT you to succeed and will do whatever they can to help you get there as long as you want it
    - Training- I started as a new grad with no sales experience, but you get up to speed quickly if you’re willing to learn
    - Unlimited earning potential- top performers will double their base salary in total annual earnings
    - Lots of Thursday/Friday outings, fun company events, trips all over the country for top performers
    - 20 days of vacation time to start with an additional day of vacation each year
    - Awesome location in the heart of downtown Boston

Cons

You will only succeed here if you are driven, self-motivated and WANT to be in a high-energy sales environment. If not, then don’t waste your time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Clear Career Path!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at PageGroup (Less than a year)

Pros

Very clear career pathing and room for growth. If you want to manage a team, you are able to do that OR you can choose to work independently if you prefer an autonomous atmosphere. I think the fact that you have both options is a huge benefit because the management path is not for all. The money is there for those who choose to work hard and are eager to learn, and build up a solid network of clients. The job is more consulting than anything, and I like how I am able to go on site to meet folks each day as the relationship building is a huge part of the job. You will be successful here if you have the right mindset!

Cons

Longer hours but Fridays are short so it makes up for it.

4. "Great Opportunity for Some People, Not All"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Good base salary
    -Great introduction to recruitment and amazing training
    -Some very talented and amazing employees
    -Strong work ethic/drive overall
    -Very polished individuals
    -Room for growth

Cons

-Very KPI driven environment (this can be a pro for some people)
    -Rigid and formal culture (can be a pro for some people)
    -Long hours, early starts and late finishes (8 AM - 6/7 PM) with people eating lunch at their desks very often times
    -Hard to hit bonus if you're not handed a good situation by management
    -Management that plays favorites
    -High pressure environment

Advice to Management

Culture is important to a lot of the employees here, and is a big part of why there is so much turnover, in addition to the bonus structure which isn't competitive for the sales people they are looking to attract. Management should look at the employee perspectives.

Aug 15, 2018 – Richard Vickers, Regional Managing Director, North America

Thanks for sharing this balanced feedback. In part, we are in agreement. The recruitment industry is not intended for anyone looking to cruise through his or her career lackadaisically. The length... More

5. "The Right Kind Of Place For The Right Type Of People"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Michael Page are extremely transparent with their expectations of everybody from the get go. And while there is a certain amount of malleability on their end when it comes to hitting one's KPI's (because everybody is treated like an individual rather than a number) - it holds true that everybody is held to the principle that when one puts in more effort into their career here, one will usually get more out of it. If you're looking for a 9-5 situation, this is not the place for you. But if you're willing to put in the extra hours and effort, this place will afford you the ability to make an unusual income. And truthfully speaking, they are a performance-based culture, so if you get your stuff done, and you want to bounce early on a Friday, that's cool with them. They get that you have a life outside of work.

The management staff has a genuine interest in making sure that everybody hits and surpasses their goals. From both an altruistic and symbiotic standpoint. They love when people succeed, and when people on their teams do well, it reflects positively on them as well. For the most part, the same can be said about the senior (non managerial) staff as well.

There is almost always something going on after work hours with the staff. So if you want to get to know the people with whom you are working and connect with your co-workers on a more personal level, you will have several outlets to do so. And there are some truly great human beings at Michael Page Chicago.

Page Academy is unique in the sense that the company invests so much time and money in everybody's training that they are willing to take people off of production to ensure that they know what they are doing, and can do their jobs well. They also have somebody in the office whose sole responsibility it is to help with training.

The base pay at Michael Page is almost second to none, and they have a generous PTO plan, decent health care, and an above-average 401K plan. And they pay you to recruit people into the business.

Cons

Again, this isn't going to be a place where one can work with minimal effort for 40 hours a week and expect to do well. You're going to have to pay the cost to be the boss.

Not necessarily a negative, but Michael Page sees itself as a "premium brand" and they expect their employees to exude that quality in their dress. So if you're exclusively looking for a place where you can wear a t-shirt and shorts in the Summer, you might want to look elsewhere. But, on the other hand, you'll always be surrounded by sharply dressed individuals.

The way Michael Page's IT Support team is structured is more than a bit higgledy piggledy. I get that Michael Page is, all intents and purposes, a sales company and that IT is a secondary (if that) function of the business. But it may very well be time for the higher-ups to take a look into how their competitors operate from an infrastructural standpoint and consider re-calibrating from there.

Advice to Management

The entire management staff here is great. They have a really tough job in the sense that they have to be equally concerned about their own desks as well as the people on their team. I think, if anything, it would help to focus less on the people who care less about their careers than you can for their careers - and to give people that will one day be in a managerial spot more attention and insight into what they can expect in the future. Studs before duds and so-forth.

6. "Michael Page Chicago- Fantastic Training and Career Growth"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Michael Page with a few years of sales experience but not any type of background in recruitment. The company invests into the development of their people and the Chicago office has a contagious atmosphere where everyone supports each other in their successes. Of course, like in any office, there are many personalities walking around, but generally speaking I can say that teams works closely together every day toward the common goals to recruit and make deals. If you are motivated, willing to take the time to learn, and put the initial hours in, you can see an amazing amount of quick success here in the form of $$ and training that will better your career. The office has a great culture and it's easier to go to work when you're with your friends. I feel comfortable approaching the management team and even the director to ask for advice or assistance when needed. They are always willing to take the time out of their busy days. Starting with 20 vacation days and 11 paid holidays doesn't hurt either.

Cons

The hours aren't the best but WELL worth it for the quick progression I have seen.

7. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent Training
    - Culture and rewards

Cons

If you're not passioned about recruitment it might be long hours

Advice to Management

keep your hard work

"BEWARE FAKE REVIEWS"

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have nothing positive to say

Cons

Our director had the audacity to ask several of us to create fake accounts and post positive reviews to combat the negative review left by someone yesterday (8/2/18). THESE POSITIVE REVIEWS ARE FAKE!!! Hard to stand by a company that will stoop down to this level of creating fake reviews. LISTEN TO THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS!!! THEY ARE ALL TRUE!!!!

Advice to Management

If you dont like the reviews, make changes internally.

Aug 9, 2018 – Richard Vickers, Regional Managing Director, North America

In most cases, our employees solely take it upon themselves to detail their experiences and opinions of our organization. While we invite and encourage everyone to share their honest feedback in a... More

"People Quit Managers, Not Jobs..."

Former Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX

I worked at PageGroup full-time

Pros

- good PTO
    - people are fun
    - sales training can be very good depending on your trainer

Cons

Michael Page as an Employer:
    COMMUNICATION is the biggest issue. There are 3 tiers to the hierarchy in every office: consultants, managers, upper management.

Managers communicate one thing to their team, which is entirely different from what they tell upper management. When they get yelled at for not having as many interviews as the week before, they claim to shelter their teams from this, yet they continue to kick the cat themselves.

This stems from the lack of managerial development in all consultants as promotions are based on $$ billed and not business acumen. If you're a good biller, congrats--you're now managing a team of 3+ people. There's a lack leadership and integrity across all managers in the Houston office. Every manager there has lied: so many stories of stealing revenue from one of their own consultants or lying about why a team member left the company or faking their KPIs.

The faking of KPIs is disgusting and should not be tolerated in any business. My manager did this and still works there. If that floats your boat, then cool. If you have integrity, then look for another job.

Bonuses are quarterly and not based off each placement, so get comfortable with the base pay as not many people bonus in that offie as you are told in your interview process.

Advice to Management

Page needs to require management training before any SRC/MC/Manager is allowed to have direct reports. People quit managers, not jobs, and A LOT of the Houston office has turned over in the last year. Every person I personally spoke with (at least 9 people) cited their manager as one of the reasons they left.

Develop your people through leadership trainings.

Aug 14, 2018 – Richard Vickers, Regional Managing Director, North America

Be it top-down, bottom-up or lateral, the style of communication at PageGroup is both clear and direct. While the tone of communication is tailored according to the audience, this should not be... More

"Outstanding Organization For Driven Individuals"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at PageGroup full-time

Pros

Extremely supportive managers, consistent and specific feedback on how you can grow and develop in your skills, and a wonderful and supportive company culture. The office has grown so rapidly in the last year that it is impressive they have been able to keep the culture and mission clear. It isn't an easy job, but everyone genuinely supports and celebrates each other when they succeed. You have extensive training that includes classroom, on the desk, role plays, and games and lasts for the first 10 weeks or so. If you are competitive and want to get of your job what you put into it, this is an incredible environment to be a part of.

Cons

Nothing that can't be said for any staffing company. Recruiting isn't easy, but it's extremely rewarding and lucrative.

Advice to Management

Keep providing clear and specific advice that will help employees to grow in their careers!

Showing 756 of 1,176 reviews