PageGroup Reviews | Glassdoor

PageGroup CEO Steve Ingham
Steve Ingham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The culture perpetuates a terrible work/life balance" (in 88 reviews)

• "Can be long-hours and high-intensity" (in 178 reviews)

"For anyone considering joining the business"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you’re looking for an organization to invest in your career, help you reach your personal and professional goals, and have a mentorship program customized around you then look no further.

I am currently an employee here at Michael Page in the Houston office and after much hard work and success in the business want to share my experience to anyone who is considering joining the company.

I love my job. Seeing the hard work I put in generate both personal and financial success makes me excited to enter the building every morning. Recruitment and sales isn’t for everyone. It takes a strong, self-driven individual who has the ability to retain information, work with a sense of urgency and not allow things that are beyond their control to distract them from doing the job. It is not mundane or routine. It’s challenging and throws you multiple problem solving opportunities each day. The personal satisfaction I gain from overcoming these obstacles, and the financial benefits I see make it all worth it.

The training program that MP offers here is nothing short of exemplary and key for success in the business. Directors, managers and colleagues want to invest in you and your success within the company and industry. You’re not just going to be thrown to the sharks and expected to swim. The organization offers a very thorough and detailed training program including scripts on each aspect of the job for you to follow, lunch and learns, and on going training throughout your career. Directors and Managers are approachable and eager to help. You can have a conversation with anyone at any level and ask what challenges they’ve faced, how they’ve overcome them, how they’ve become successful within the business. I always feel supported here and they take the time to make sure I know I’m valued. All successes are celebrated by the team and organization wheather big or small. In addition, if an issue ever arises, our voices heard no matter what level you’re at. Constructive criticism is valued and the issue is fixed right away. Open doors and objective discussions are highly encouraged.

The Directors and Managers lay out a clear picture for your success within the organization by giving you manageable and retainable goals for the week. These key performance indicators are set in place to allow you to do the whole job and keep you on track. I am goal oriented and use KPI's to know that I am hitting all aspects of the job and moving in the right direction to bonus. I am motivated by revenue and money- those two things are definitely achievable and I’ve witnessed major success personally and by my coworkers by following the KPIs weekly. The hard work you put in will pay off in the amount you can bonus each quarter. BIG BONUSES!

Aside from financial gain, the culture at Michael Page is one of the biggest positive aspects of the job, along with their dedication to ensuring employess have a healthy work/life balance. We make sure when hiring new employees that this is important to them as well. We have quarterly bashes, happy hours and group events to celebrate success. The more the office gorws, the more exciting the environment becomes becuase we welcome like minded individuals who are eager to work and watch their career thrive. We feed on positive energy and enjoy keeping this place a happy and positive work environment.

If you want to work hard to see your carrer grow, reach your finiancial goals, and enjoy coming to work every day, I would recomomend joining our team!

Cons

The hours may seem longer in comparison to other recruitment firms- you're working until 6:00 pm. However the PTO and time allowed for extended lunch breaks for doctors appointment ect. doesn't make this an issue.

2. "A great place to work...if you want to work!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is a great example of "you get out what you put in" and the people who have the best talent and best work ethic, get the most out of working here. In my experience, I have always been treated fairly by senior management as well as my peer group. I know where I stand and my manager is transparent with me about my performance.

The culture is overall very good. Reading some of the reviews, I have to wonder if they worked at the same company. We have grown a lot in Houston the past 2 years and like any business that goes through such rapid growth, we have had some challenges and made some mistakes with people we have hired, but on the whole I feel like the office has never been better.

I love how much every small win is celebrated from signing a new contract, getting an interview for a candidate to a placement. The office does a great job of sharing the wins.

The best thing about this company is how quickly you can advance your career and compensation. I joined and on Day 1 I knew what number I had to hit to get a promotion and a pay rise. Everyone is on the same plan so it's fair and equal, but everyone progresses at their own pace which I love.

Cons

Look, it's a sales job. You have to work really hard, sometimes that means working long hours and making yourself available when you'd rather not be taking a call. I don't think that's a Michael Page issue though, so frankly if you don't want to work hard and don't want to be in an environment where your activity AND performance are ranked, don't take the job. I love the fun fast paced sales environment and I get why some people wouldn't like it, but you should have never joined the company if that was the case. The interview process I went through couldn't have been more clear about what to expect and the managers/directors have delivered on the picture that was painted.

In the past I know some people complained about the bonus structures. Since the new Managing Director came in earlier this year I've seen a lot more transparency around bonuses. I think this is a good example where management does listen and if the concern is reasonable, they will try to adapt and improve.

Given the typical Associate Consultant is someone with less than a year of work experience, you get everything that comes with that crowd. I think the occasional spike in gossip and drama is worth the trade off. It's a really fun group of people who have joined in the last year. And the more senior people have mostly been here for 5 years plus and are pretty easy to get along with.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent with us. We like to know there's a vision for the business and why we should continue to push and work so hard. You have hired talented and ambitious people so make us continue to be part of the plan! We appreciate a positive and encouraging tone. I know it's probably tough to continue to find new ways to deliver the same message over and over, but if the job can be a bit repetitive at times, it's great having fun and new competitions to keep things fresh.

Also - don't lower standards on new people we bring into the office. Of the people who have left/been fired during my tenure most of them were very clearly a bad fit within the first few weeks. No one likes having people around who are negative and try to pit people against each other. I feel those people have left and are no longer here, but please don't repeat past mistakes!

"Supportive Sales Culture that will help you achieve your potential!"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Unwavering support from those that you work for and with - this is without the most important component that I appreciate about being a part of the team here. Many individuals that we hire come from high-performing sales or sports backgrounds, or come from the industries that we recruit in, but do not have prior recruitment experience; (certainly not at the level that we like to train people too at Michael Page anyway!!)
    Thankfully, this isn't an issue, not only will you be provided with endless training and coaching/feedback, but if it doesn't come for you straight away Managers and Directors from your team and other teams will be there to lend a hand and work with you to get where you need to be. I say this happening in the office at all levels.
    This is a culture and approach that you should see more in every work place, but in my personal experience, I have found it to be unique to Michael Page. At every step of the way along your recruitment career here you will feel that you are being supported and encouraged to reach your potential. It is a good feeling and helps you feel compelled to be the best version of yourself.
    - This is an environment that celebrates success, (and not just the deals that you close). All the steps along the way getting there. New starters are able to add value immediately and are encouraged and recognized for their achievements.
    - True meritocracy and opportunity to earn a lot of money (more so than in other sales roles). I think this is without doubt a highlight if you're considering a career in sales/recruitment. Michael Page offers a full range of benefits, salaried position, large quarterly bonuses.
    - The PageGroup values - you can find this on the Michael Page website. They are values that the leadership team encourage all to take in their stride with all candidate, client and internal relationships with colleagues.
    - All the other fun parts - the team days (and nights) out, the opportunity to go on luxury quarter high-performer trips, the high quality sales training, the chance to work with other ambitious individuals who are serious about a career in recruitment, and not just a job.

Cons

- Work life balance - Michael Page is very transparent about what the hours are when you interview here. You aren't required or forced to work long hours in order to be successful and a flexible work life balance is an important mantra of all of the senior leadership team.
    However, due to the the nature of the work and speaking with candidates (who often cannot talk in the day whilst they are at work) means you may be speaking to some candidates after they get out of the office at 5:30pm/6:00pm.

With that said, you set your schedule and Michael Page is a big believer of technology and adopting best industry practices, meaning that you don't need to be tied to your desk to keep in contact with your candidates and clients.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You're supportive and approachable to recruitment consultants at all levels in the business. You make the office a fun place to work.

"Solid reputable company overall. Overly negative reviews seem off."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been here for about three years and I can safely say that there is a lack of validity to the excessively negative one star reviews on here. On the flip side could some of the five star 100% positive reviews be manufactured? Of course there is the potential for that, any business on here has that possibility. As an outsider looking in you have to be aware that really anyone can post a review to a businesses page here, including direct competitors who would benefit from those negative postings. Having worked in this environment for as long as I have I seriously could not see someone working for the business and posting insanely negative statements, it just seems too out of bounds from my perspective. The culture here and employees that we are surrounded with are all like minded and similar, it's by far the most energetic and positive environment I've experienced in my career. Also, that was pretty easy to figure out on my own given I had the chance to sit with my future team members out on the floor during the interview process.

Cons

The company is by no means perfect but it is reputable and has 40+ years to look back on to prove that. I would have never joined the business with three years experience if I thought otherwise. Instead of trusting every review on here whether it's blatantly too positive or overly negative I took the time to actually talk to current employees through outreach on LinkedIn and people in my network who knew the business first hand. I came to an informed conclusion based on my research and found that it was the place for me as I am someone who was seeking transparent promotions and higher pay (two things I wasn't getting in my last job). This is the type of business where everyone is very open and direct and if you feel a certain way you can voice that and upper management won't shut the door on you, they will work with you and hear you out. Every time I brought an an issue to light it was approached with professionalism and reconciled, this is an environment that gives you the opportunity to do that.

Advice to Management

In my three years here there have been improvements to the work/life balance and stepping away from the old school clock watching that most experienced, mainly before my time. Stay true to that ideology of evolution and willingness to change a business on all levels. Also, continue making improvements to stay in tune with junior level employees. Many of the new employees to the business won't speak up and be as direct as one might hope, those employees require a bit more work and help along the way. Although the training and career development here is maybe the best I've seen, I am speaking from a bigger picture standpoint.

"Awesome company to work for!"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Clear career path- chance to manage a team and essentially run your own business within 2 years
    - Hard-working, fun-loving group of people!! I genuinely enjoy coming to work every day
    - Extremely supportive management- Managers WANT you to succeed and will do whatever they can to help you get there as long as you want it
    - Training- I started as a new grad with no sales experience, but you get up to speed quickly if you’re willing to learn
    - Unlimited earning potential- top performers will double their base salary in total annual earnings
    - Lots of Thursday/Friday outings, fun company events, trips all over the country for top performers
    - 20 days of vacation time to start with an additional day of vacation each year
    - Awesome location in the heart of downtown Boston

Cons

You will only succeed here if you are driven, self-motivated and WANT to be in a high-energy sales environment. If not, then don’t waste your time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"The Boston office is doing it Right!!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Before I list the highlights of the company below, I first want to start with a short story on how I started at Michael Page in Boston and where I am today! When I joined MP, I was transitioning out of an intense Retail District Management position that I spent multiple years moving up the ranks. The work/life balance was very harsh—I managed 30 employees and had to constantly drive back and forth to my stores. After three years with the company, I knew this was not ideal thinking 10 years down the line and I needed a change. I applied to Michael Page and during the Interview process, I immediately knew the Boston Office was for me when I noticed how thorough they were on who they hired and how much time they spent interviewing me. I had a total of 3 in-person interviews, a caliper test, met with 3 senior managers, met the Managing Director of the office and even the Senior Managing Director of most North America’s offices. I got the job and I felt not just wanted but cared for. Now it is 9 months later and my work/life balance is superb. I am about 3 months away from making it to Senior Consultant and I am in control of my future at this company. My family is happy and my pockets are happy!

The Pros:

1. Excellent Career Growth!!!

2. The only company that has a promotional structure that again is "Doing it
         Right".

3. Your Promotions are based on your personal performance and breaking past
         KPI / Revenue tiers it is not Discretionary or promotions based off your boss’
        timeline. It also doesn’t matter if your liked or not because your successes bring
        you up the ranks.

4. 4 weeks of PTO. Yes That's 20 PTO days plus all the usual holidays!

5. Five-Star training from management with even a dedicated employee
         training department out of the NY office. They send you to the HQ in the first
         few weeks to not just make sure you start off right with the best training but
         also to show you that you’re an investment because they pay for the whole trip.

6. CULTURE is great, everyone is so nice and the Boston office is like one big
         Family—we celebrate every success, big or small, with holiday parties,
         quarterly bashes and additional incentives given to you throughout the year.

7. Leadership is on point. From lower management to upper management, they all
         care! All the Managing Directors I have met and worked with not only act as
         leaders but inspire and influence their offices to reach for the top and be the
         best, no matter what it takes.

8. Work/life balance is great. After I complete my daily work, I go home without
         anything to do but enjoy my family.

9. If you hit your quota and do what you are asked, it feels as if you run your own
         business. You are trained to control your market and build your own business
         which means you can run it the way you see fit (with additional mentorship
         from successful leaders in the business).

10. The job market and employment is HOT right now – it has never been a better
             time to be a recruiter.

Cons

No Complaints that i can think of

Advice to Management

Keep Training and hiring the way you already do!

"Clear Career Path!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at PageGroup (Less than a year)

Pros

Very clear career pathing and room for growth. If you want to manage a team, you are able to do that OR you can choose to work independently if you prefer an autonomous atmosphere. I think the fact that you have both options is a huge benefit because the management path is not for all. The money is there for those who choose to work hard and are eager to learn, and build up a solid network of clients. The job is more consulting than anything, and I like how I am able to go on site to meet folks each day as the relationship building is a huge part of the job. You will be successful here if you have the right mindset!

Cons

Longer hours but Fridays are short so it makes up for it.

8. "Great Opportunity for Some People, Not All"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Good base salary
    -Great introduction to recruitment and amazing training
    -Some very talented and amazing employees
    -Strong work ethic/drive overall
    -Very polished individuals
    -Room for growth

Cons

-Very KPI driven environment (this can be a pro for some people)
    -Rigid and formal culture (can be a pro for some people)
    -Long hours, early starts and late finishes (8 AM - 6/7 PM) with people eating lunch at their desks very often times
    -Hard to hit bonus if you're not handed a good situation by management
    -Management that plays favorites
    -High pressure environment

Advice to Management

Culture is important to a lot of the employees here, and is a big part of why there is so much turnover, in addition to the bonus structure which isn't competitive for the sales people they are looking to attract. Management should look at the employee perspectives.

PageGroup Response

Aug 15, 2018 – Richard Vickers, Regional Managing Director, North America

Thanks for sharing this balanced feedback. In part, we are in agreement. The recruitment industry is not intended for anyone looking to cruise through his or her career lackadaisically. The length... More

"The Right Kind Of Place For The Right Type Of People"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Michael Page are extremely transparent with their expectations of everybody from the get go. And while there is a certain amount of malleability on their end when it comes to hitting one's KPI's (because everybody is treated like an individual rather than a number) - it holds true that everybody is held to the principle that when one puts in more effort into their career here, one will usually get more out of it. If you're looking for a 9-5 situation, this is not the place for you. But if you're willing to put in the extra hours and effort, this place will afford you the ability to make an unusual income. And truthfully speaking, they are a performance-based culture, so if you get your stuff done, and you want to bounce early on a Friday, that's cool with them. They get that you have a life outside of work.

The management staff has a genuine interest in making sure that everybody hits and surpasses their goals. From both an altruistic and symbiotic standpoint. They love when people succeed, and when people on their teams do well, it reflects positively on them as well. For the most part, the same can be said about the senior (non managerial) staff as well.

There is almost always something going on after work hours with the staff. So if you want to get to know the people with whom you are working and connect with your co-workers on a more personal level, you will have several outlets to do so. And there are some truly great human beings at Michael Page Chicago.

Page Academy is unique in the sense that the company invests so much time and money in everybody's training that they are willing to take people off of production to ensure that they know what they are doing, and can do their jobs well. They also have somebody in the office whose sole responsibility it is to help with training.

The base pay at Michael Page is almost second to none, and they have a generous PTO plan, decent health care, and an above-average 401K plan. And they pay you to recruit people into the business.

Cons

Again, this isn't going to be a place where one can work with minimal effort for 40 hours a week and expect to do well. You're going to have to pay the cost to be the boss.

Not necessarily a negative, but Michael Page sees itself as a "premium brand" and they expect their employees to exude that quality in their dress. So if you're exclusively looking for a place where you can wear a t-shirt and shorts in the Summer, you might want to look elsewhere. But, on the other hand, you'll always be surrounded by sharply dressed individuals.

The way Michael Page's IT Support team is structured is more than a bit higgledy piggledy. I get that Michael Page is, all intents and purposes, a sales company and that IT is a secondary (if that) function of the business. But it may very well be time for the higher-ups to take a look into how their competitors operate from an infrastructural standpoint and consider re-calibrating from there.

Advice to Management

The entire management staff here is great. They have a really tough job in the sense that they have to be equally concerned about their own desks as well as the people on their team. I think, if anything, it would help to focus less on the people who care less about their careers than you can for their careers - and to give people that will one day be in a managerial spot more attention and insight into what they can expect in the future. Studs before duds and so-forth.

"Michael Page Chicago- Fantastic Training and Career Growth"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Michael Page with a few years of sales experience but not any type of background in recruitment. The company invests into the development of their people and the Chicago office has a contagious atmosphere where everyone supports each other in their successes. Of course, like in any office, there are many personalities walking around, but generally speaking I can say that teams works closely together every day toward the common goals to recruit and make deals. If you are motivated, willing to take the time to learn, and put the initial hours in, you can see an amazing amount of quick success here in the form of $$ and training that will better your career. The office has a great culture and it's easier to go to work when you're with your friends. I feel comfortable approaching the management team and even the director to ask for advice or assistance when needed. They are always willing to take the time out of their busy days. Starting with 20 vacation days and 11 paid holidays doesn't hurt either.

Cons

The hours aren't the best but WELL worth it for the quick progression I have seen.

Showing 770 of 1,205 reviews