PageGroup Reviews | Glassdoor

PageGroup CEO Steve Ingham
Steve Ingham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "work life balance can sometimes be iffy" (in 93 reviews)

• "Long hours compared to other industries and not too much intellectually stimulating work" (in 179 reviews)

"Ever growing, market leader"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

What I appreciate:
    Team based, interactive environment with high levels of shared business and cross selling which you seldom see in sales environments.
    The money. This is a sales role and hard work means more of it. Because of this I’ve been able to travel the world and experience so much more than I ever thought possible.
    The training is ace. The on-board training is excellent. But it doesn't stop there. Whatever your title, your managers stay close to you and are constantly tailoring their training to your specific development needs. This has led to a high level of promotions across the office.
    It's a performance-based culture. We give 20+ PTO days and on top of this, if you are hitting your goals, you’re empowered to run your own schedule and are given flexibility.
    We strive to be better. Every business has things they want to improve on. In everything MP does, even if they're already getting it right, they don't rest on this and are constantly doing taking steps to be better.
    The service that we offer is personal and real. It’s not just a numbers game. In our line of work, we're changing people’s lives in finding them new jobs or hires. The goal for each hire is to place someone into a long-term role in the hope that when they get promoted into a leadership role, they want to continue that relationship with us. Rewarding!
    Finally, the Chicago office has grown tremendously since I joined, both in size and culture. We’re moving into an edgy new office, have the best internal infrastructure that we’ve ever had (due to a high level of internal promotions) and have invested into Chicago based TA and Training functions.

Cons

Sales can be the best and worst job in the world, lots of highs and lows. It isn't for everyone. While we sell in a solutions orientated, consultative way, it is still sales and there are still targets, this isn't going to change. However, having worked in the industry for a long time, I firmly believe that MP set's the bar high. We expect a lot from our employees, however if you're willing to commit, you can move up very quickly and earn top money.

Advice to Management

Keep adapting and striving to be better.

"Associate Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at PageGroup full-time

Pros

My time at Michael Page was cut short due to health reasons, or I would no doubt still be with the company. This is definitely not a job for everyone, so in the interview process don’t just try to sell yourself but listen to what you’re being told. Transparency is what I appreciate most about my time with the company. They tell you in the interview process that you’re going to have to work hard and you know on your first day of work what is expected of you in your career. They give you the tools to reach those goals, but your success is ultimately in your hands. Asking for help is encouraged. I can personally say I never felt uncomfortable admitting I needed guidance to anyone at any level in the company. The culture is what you make of it. It’s a business and that comes first, but they also know you work your best if you’re at your best. I would recommend Michael Page to anyone who is interested in pushing themselves to reach a goal that will be compensated financially and with the whole office cheering you on.

Cons

If you don’t like competition, you won’t enjoy this job. If you’re comfortable with doing the bare minimum, you won’t ever know the success that the company can offer.
    The job is high stress and fast paced. That’s not a con, but something that’s not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent and open to feedback. How communication between directors and managers is relayed to consultants could probably use some work - but that’s with any growing company. Sometimes information feels a bit like a game of telephone and you’re unsure what you were actually suppose to take from it.

3. "Great place for both new & experienced Sales Professionals"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While working in our Chicago office, I can genuinely say that I've never felt more supported and backed by a business in my career than I do here. I joined PageGroup with previous sales experience, so was privy to the standard "lines" delivered by management in sales interviews: "meritocracy", "flexibility", "uncapped earnings", etc. I took these things with a grain of salt, of course, but have been pleasantly surprised at how well they have been demonstrated by management in my time here.

The biggest draw for me to PageGroup was the fact that as a Sales person, I do not HAVE to move into management in order to further my career. I can still receive (significant) raises and title increases, without having to manage and grow a team on a day-to-day basis.

This is also the most collaborative sales environment I've ever worked in. Although I'm firmly of the mindset that the best Sales people are absolute control freaks when it comes to their clients and processes, the team structure at Page allows for you to control your entire book of business, while also working collaboratively to reap the benefits of the talented Consultants around you (and still be rewarded appropriately).

The Chicago office specifically, is also a really great place to be right now. We're on 23 months (maybe 22? not sure, hard to keep track!) of hitting our budget number, we have a great leadership team, we're moving into a custom-built office in December, and we house some of the best Consultants in the business. The buzz is palpable!

Cons

I agree with some other reviews that the CRM system could use an upgrade. The fact that we're a $2 billion company, but don't have a globally integrated system is a bit shocking, but on the flip-side, given the clients we target, I doubt it is too much of a hindrance to our Consultants "making money". Plus, our IT team is GREAT, so that's a huge plus.

Some other reviews have mentioned work time rigidity, but honestly, I've never had an issue running late or heading out early. It is to be expected that if you're under-performing and ALSO coming in late, leaving early - that's not really appropriate. What I would suggest is some additional flexibility around hours. I value my evenings, and would much rather come in at 7am and leave at 5pm, without that being too much of a deviation from the norm.

We do a ton of sales incentives, which is great, but "bragging rights" isn't always the best motivation, especially for experienced Consultants. Loosen the purse strings a bit and allow Team Leads the ability to expense back cocktails, giftcards, lunches, etc. for their Consultants that win smaller, team competitions - that sort of recognition goes a long way in retention and motivation. If there is a specific budget for this already, make sure your Managers know it (and are encouraged to use it)!

Advice to Management

Keep communication clear and constant, and focus on hiring intelligent, charismatic, HUNGRY Consultants. Don't fall into the trap of making internal hires just because they'll pound the pavement with a smile - hire rising stars that will add to our revenue numbers AND culture.

"Women Make Up 50% of the Office"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Boston, MA

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great training program for new employees. Our Learning & Development Team is constantly restructuring, rebuilding, and revamping our training program to ensure consultants are set up in the best possible way to succeed from Day 1.
    -Women are valued and given the same opportunities as men. Since everything is based off merit, women are promoted based solely on billings and performance rather than politics, tenure, or gender. The company globally has invested resources into encouraging and consciously ensuring the women in our offices know they are a valuable piece to the culture and future success of the business. #womenatpage
    -It is a fun environment to work in! Going to work every day can be a drag nowadays but Michael Page Boston has a good group of people and office culture to drive away from that stigma. It has an open office layout and sales-orientated environment with people constantly cracking jokes (no they are not sexist or inappropriate), grabbing group lunches, going to work out classes together, grabbing drinks after work, etc. Your coworkers truly do become your friends and people who you want to hang out with outside of work.
    -From a monetary perspective you can make A LOT of money!! We have had consultants with no experience prior to MP who are going to clear $100k in their first year! That is something that is not common or even attainable at most companies in your first year as a new grad. There are multiple examples of people who have been with the business 3 years that have been promoted 4-5 times and lead teams of individuals – again something I don’t think is necessarily common among other employers. On top of bonuses, we offer a comfortable base that continues to increase by 10k+ with every promotion!
    -International and national opportunities once you prove your value to the business. If you work at the company and show you are invested in the vision and express desire to move abroad or to another city, you have the opportunity AND the company will pay for it!! We have had multiple individuals from our office go to other offices in the United States as well as other countries.

Cons

Per some of the reviews written about the Boston office I wanted to write an honest review as a female employee because unfortunately many of the previously written reviews are far from the truth.
    -It is a sales job and within the staffing industry, so you are going to work more than 40 hours a week. However, the company gives you 20 vacation days a year plus 5 sick days and 11 paid holidays - something that is not common in the USA especially within sales, so you truly are rewarded for your hard work.
    -You will have to work hard to get promoted. It is not an “easy” job by any means so if you are expecting to skate through and make tons of $$$ that is not the case. You are given all of the tools to be successful but it is 100% up to you to utilize those tools and be successful.
    -You’re selling a service, not a product so things can be out of your control at times (i.e. a startup company loses funding so they go on a hiring freeze, etc.)

Advice to Management

Continue to reward employees financially, personally, and professionally.
    Make sure to continue to keep the culture amazing as the office continues to grow.

"Excellent career opportunities, high earning potential and the best office environment I've worked in!"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- clear promotion targets
    - attainable promotion targets - the vast majority of consultants get promoted within their first 12 months
    - excellent bonus paychecks and a clear understanding of how to achieve them
    - complete transparency with Directors on how to secure a bonus and how much you can expect to receive
    - an job that truly rewards you for the hard work you put in!
    - flexible targets to ensure employees are given a fair chance for success no matter what market you're in and how much experience you have
    - an excellent working environment. We work hard but have fun doing it!
    - Page offers a lot of support to employees in order to achieve success - initiatives such as Women @ Page support employees to achieve the most they can
    - unlimited development opportunities with an excellent training program throughout your career
    - supportive management team that want you to succeed and be the best you can be
    - excellent leadership development program to ensure the management team are always adding value to their teams
    - a fun office – when you walk through the door you hear a lot of phone activity but also people laughing - we like to have fun as we work hard towards our targets!

Cons

- it’s a sales job, there is no room for negativity so if you’re having a down day, you need to leave it at the door

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

"Thoughts about the Chicago Office"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at PageGroup (More than a year)

Pros

If you're a salesperson who is looking for a challenge and a company with clear promotion targets, the job CAN be extremely rewarding.

-Globally, established name brand
    -Strong base salary compared to other sales roles
    -20 Days PTO w/11 paid holidays
    -clear promotion targets
    -quarterly bonuses/high flyer trips
    -solid recruitment training program
    -overall a team of managers who are good people/nice
    -there's a focus on celebrating the wins (deal o'clock, promotions, etc)
    -located close to washington/wells and olgovie

Cons

If one of my friends asked me if I recommended this role, I would vehemently urge them not to apply. With so many antiquated processes in place and a stressful, KPI-driven environment I cannot, in good conscience, say that I'd recommend it.

1. Legacy Technology: The technology tools offered are outdated and hinder consultants from doing their job. The company has their own CRM system for America and a separate one for the rest of the world. So, as you can imagine their maybe contracts with firms that other offices don't know about (don't you want your consultants to make more money?). There are also duplicate contacts and companies in the system. In terms of the rest of their tech stack, there's also no sales automation tool or internal communication tools.

2. Market/Team: Some markets are more profitable and easier to close deals in. If you’re interviewing for a consultant position here, make sure to ask thorough questions regarding the team and market you’ll be joining (team history, # of teammates, average deals in a month, etc.) For example, there are two teams in the office which historically have fallen short of their revenue targets in the past year. One is no longer a service line in the Chicago office, while the other team had high turnover and team members switching to different markets that are more profitable. These markets faced different challenges than other teams which limited/delayed their potential for bonus and career advancement.

3. Turnover: Recruitment will always be a high turnover industry. For the past year, the team has been saying they're moving into an 80+ person office. That being said, the truth of the matter is that they've hovered 35-40 in headcount but have had at least 18 people leaving in the past 12 months (yes, I counted). While people leave MP for many different reasons, maybe it’s time to reflect on WHY almost 50% of these people didn’t see success in their role or didn't feel valued enough to stay at the firm? It’s not always because they’re not good “sales” people or don’t have the drive to rise to the challenge as we have sometimes been led to believe.

4. KPI driven environment: You will stand up at the board every single day and list off your activity from the previous day, where you’re at towards your weekly/monthly targets, and provide your “goals” for the rest of the day. Weekly KPI expectations are 100 emails a week, 50 new contacts, 10 leads in the system, 2 client meetings, 20 calls with hiring managers in your space, 5 internal meetings with candidates, 600 phone minutes OR 150 dials, 15 resumes sent to clients, and 5-7ish candidate interviews with clients. Quality is often sacrificed for quantity (e.g. you can’t personalize the 100 emails at the beginning of the week efficiently and it isn’t even in the same font).

5. Work/Life balance. Many people have mentioned this previous, and while I think work/life balance always depend on the individual. Yes, you get a lot of PTO, but you have to take it when your manager's okay with it and it's convenient for your entire team? I wouldn't want to have my boss dictate when I can or cannot take time off. I personally was not fired up about being in the office at 8 am every day to after 6 pm, and I don't think most work people are. When you're competing with so many other Chicago sales cultures--it's hard to compete, I get it. But offering more flexibility on work from home, o

6. Professional Dress. Not necessarily a con for everyone either. I liked the sense of ownership and pride dressing professionally every day. What I didn't enjoy was forcing people to pay $5 to dress down on Fridays for a charitable cause. Yes it sounds like a nice gesture but the business casual dress is just normal at other companies...plus I think hounding people to venmo or pay every Friday just fosters a negative environment.

The only other con I think of is promoting people to manager experience not based on skill-set but based on how much they billed. I think there needs to be a higher standard and vetting process. More than just 1 training course.

Advice to Management

I know a lot of things that I mentioned that are cons are out of the hands of the Chicago management team... a lot of it's "just business" and the Michael Page way. Here are some things that I know are in the Chicago team's control and think you could improve:

1. Reexamine the internal hiring process. We all know that the job isn’t a fit for everyone and there’s been a huge emphasis on hiring especially with the recent turnover and the new 80 +person office. As recruiters, you should be able to know and determine that during the sales hiring process. However, with a nearly 50% turnover rate of consultants in the past year maybe that’s something to revisit? I’d recommend having a candidate meet with a person who’d be on their team for a 1 on 1 conversation.

2. Focus on the values. The company has as main values but I highly doubt most consultants would be able to list all 5. They aren’t something you just talk about during the on-boarding process or are written nicely on the wall, they are something that the team should live out daily in their actions. Please make sure you work on developing a sales team that both understands and embodies the values, and reflects on how to continue making the chicago office the best MP office to work for.

3. Invest in technology and communication. Please help consultants do their job more efficiently by giving them the tools to drive their business! A better CRM tool would be a great place to start, like Salesforce. A sales automation tool like outreach or close.io would also really help consultants personalize their specs instead of just spraying and praying with their 100 emails each week.
    Please get higher-ups to see the value of this and commit to this. I can't tell you how many times I found that we had contracts from other offices with companies but that information wasn't at our disposal through the current technology. Maybe an internal communication system with NA offices would be a good way to foster communication.

4. Don't make PRC-ing a KPI for consultants. That really isn't in their job description, and I think a bit ridiculous to be a requirement for promotion to management (that's not included on the career progression chart). Everyone I talked to in the office was not fired up about sending 50 plus messages on sales days to potential candidates. Plus, having the entire office post on linkedin about MP hiring 24/7 makes it seemed forced. It also is hard to sell if you actually don't enjoy working there.

Please take the advice of the reviews people have left on Glassdoor. There's also been at least 1 review deleted left by another former consultant since I left. Positive or negative, you should appreciate the feedback and take a genuine look at your business to make strides forward (hopefully for more positive reviews).

PageGroup Response

Oct 29, 2018 – Richard Vickers, Regional Managing Director, North America

Thank you for sharing your extensive feedback. I appreciate how you touched on positive aspects of PageGroup. To begin, PageGroup invests heavily in IT, communication platforms, and recruitment... More

"If You're Looking For a "Churn and Burn" Company... Look No Further"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at PageGroup full-time

Pros

-"Uncapped" bonus IF you're in the right market. Individuals who are in more lucrative and transactional markets make a lot more money than those who are in other markets
    -Clear promotional targets based off of how much you bill
    -Flexible vacation time

Cons

-"Uncapped bonus". Bonuses are figured out at the hands of the director and they're not exactly equal across the board even though employees are told otherwise.
    -Promotional targets are not easily attainable
    -Metrics for placements are the same across all markets even though some markets are much harder than others. Individuals in different markets can put in the same amount of effort and one will be promoted within 3 months, while it might take the other a full year.
    -The culture and work environment is atrocious and it starts with upper level management. There are crude and sexual remarks daily with an unlimited amount of profanities. If you are not a "frat boy" you won't fit in here
    -Managers ONLY want you to succeed because their bonus is directly affected by how well their team does. The managers only look out for themselves and will take every last dollar from you that they can
    -People become managers due to how much money they make, not because they're good managers
    -The turnover rate is outrageously high. Employees are ALWAYS looking to leave. No one is truly happy on a day to day basis

Advice to Management

Develop a real training and development plan for people who want to be managers

"A great place to work...if you want to work!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is a great example of "you get out what you put in" and the people who have the best talent and best work ethic, get the most out of working here. In my experience, I have always been treated fairly by senior management as well as my peer group. I know where I stand and my manager is transparent with me about my performance.

The culture is overall very good. Reading some of the reviews, I have to wonder if they worked at the same company. We have grown a lot in Houston the past 2 years and like any business that goes through such rapid growth, we have had some challenges and made some mistakes with people we have hired, but on the whole I feel like the office has never been better.

I love how much every small win is celebrated from signing a new contract, getting an interview for a candidate to a placement. The office does a great job of sharing the wins.

The best thing about this company is how quickly you can advance your career and compensation. I joined and on Day 1 I knew what number I had to hit to get a promotion and a pay rise. Everyone is on the same plan so it's fair and equal, but everyone progresses at their own pace which I love.

Cons

Look, it's a sales job. You have to work really hard, sometimes that means working long hours and making yourself available when you'd rather not be taking a call. I don't think that's a Michael Page issue though, so frankly if you don't want to work hard and don't want to be in an environment where your activity AND performance are ranked, don't take the job. I love the fun fast paced sales environment and I get why some people wouldn't like it, but you should have never joined the company if that was the case. The interview process I went through couldn't have been more clear about what to expect and the managers/directors have delivered on the picture that was painted.

In the past I know some people complained about the bonus structures. Since the new Managing Director came in earlier this year I've seen a lot more transparency around bonuses. I think this is a good example where management does listen and if the concern is reasonable, they will try to adapt and improve.

Given the typical Associate Consultant is someone with less than a year of work experience, you get everything that comes with that crowd. I think the occasional spike in gossip and drama is worth the trade off. It's a really fun group of people who have joined in the last year. And the more senior people have mostly been here for 5 years plus and are pretty easy to get along with.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent with us. We like to know there's a vision for the business and why we should continue to push and work so hard. You have hired talented and ambitious people so make us continue to be part of the plan! We appreciate a positive and encouraging tone. I know it's probably tough to continue to find new ways to deliver the same message over and over, but if the job can be a bit repetitive at times, it's great having fun and new competitions to keep things fresh.

Also - don't lower standards on new people we bring into the office. Of the people who have left/been fired during my tenure most of them were very clearly a bad fit within the first few weeks. No one likes having people around who are negative and try to pit people against each other. I feel those people have left and are no longer here, but please don't repeat past mistakes!

"Aggressive Leadership. Company stuck in the 1980s"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None whatsoever. A 'job'. Not a career.

Cons

Charity events you HAVE to attend. The head of the business is above showing up to these and the charity chairman leaves to go home after 10 minutes

Aggressive emails forcing you to pay with your own money for the privilege to wear 'dress down's attire every Friday. You do know you can wear business casual in every other company for free, every day right??

Aggressive daily emails putting the entire office down about performance

Advice to Management

Wake up.

PageGroup Response

Oct 25, 2018 – Richard Vickers, Regional Managing Director, North America

Corporate Social Responsibility is a significant element of the PageGroup culture and participation is encouraged, but it is never mandatory. Our formal business dress code ties in with our... More

"For anyone considering joining the business"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you’re looking for an organization to invest in your career, help you reach your personal and professional goals, and have a mentorship program customized around you then look no further.

I am currently an employee here at Michael Page in the Houston office and after much hard work and success in the business want to share my experience to anyone who is considering joining the company.

I love my job. Seeing the hard work I put in generate both personal and financial success makes me excited to enter the building every morning. Recruitment and sales isn’t for everyone. It takes a strong, self-driven individual who has the ability to retain information, work with a sense of urgency and not allow things that are beyond their control to distract them from doing the job. It is not mundane or routine. It’s challenging and throws you multiple problem solving opportunities each day. The personal satisfaction I gain from overcoming these obstacles, and the financial benefits I see make it all worth it.

The training program that MP offers here is nothing short of exemplary and key for success in the business. Directors, managers and colleagues want to invest in you and your success within the company and industry. You’re not just going to be thrown to the sharks and expected to swim. The organization offers a very thorough and detailed training program including scripts on each aspect of the job for you to follow, lunch and learns, and on going training throughout your career. Directors and Managers are approachable and eager to help. You can have a conversation with anyone at any level and ask what challenges they’ve faced, how they’ve overcome them, how they’ve become successful within the business. I always feel supported here and they take the time to make sure I know I’m valued. All successes are celebrated by the team and organization wheather big or small. In addition, if an issue ever arises, our voices heard no matter what level you’re at. Constructive criticism is valued and the issue is fixed right away. Open doors and objective discussions are highly encouraged.

The Directors and Managers lay out a clear picture for your success within the organization by giving you manageable and retainable goals for the week. These key performance indicators are set in place to allow you to do the whole job and keep you on track. I am goal oriented and use KPI's to know that I am hitting all aspects of the job and moving in the right direction to bonus. I am motivated by revenue and money- those two things are definitely achievable and I’ve witnessed major success personally and by my coworkers by following the KPIs weekly. The hard work you put in will pay off in the amount you can bonus each quarter. BIG BONUSES!

Aside from financial gain, the culture at Michael Page is one of the biggest positive aspects of the job, along with their dedication to ensuring employess have a healthy work/life balance. We make sure when hiring new employees that this is important to them as well. We have quarterly bashes, happy hours and group events to celebrate success. The more the office gorws, the more exciting the environment becomes becuase we welcome like minded individuals who are eager to work and watch their career thrive. We feed on positive energy and enjoy keeping this place a happy and positive work environment.

If you want to work hard to see your carrer grow, reach your finiancial goals, and enjoy coming to work every day, I would recomomend joining our team!

Cons

The hours may seem longer in comparison to other recruitment firms- you're working until 6:00 pm. However the PTO and time allowed for extended lunch breaks for doctors appointment ect. doesn't make this an issue.