PageGroup Reviews | Glassdoor

PageGroup CEO Steve Ingham
Steve Ingham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The culture perpetuates a terrible work/life balance (in 86 reviews)

• The nature of the industry is long hours so definitely not for those who are looking to put in the minimum hours in order to be successful (in 161 reviews)

1. "Being the best & trained by the best"

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at PageGroup full-time

Pros

John Davies, he is the most amazing and exceptional boss in LA
    You would be lucky to work for him. Richard Vickers I hope you read this.

Cons

Leaving is hard, I had to for my career but I miss my amazing team

Advice to Management

John Davies and Cindy Liu, you are exceptional human beings. You both have guided and helped me to set MP promotion records, which will probably be broken soon by the other team members you mentor :)

2. "Fun place"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gives you the skills to build a career
    good base and decent commission...overall comp is much higher in commission only environment
    a fun time for a job in your your 20s work hard and page hard
    Enjoyed trips to cabo, london, ny, etc.

Cons

technology and work life balance were behind the times

Advice to Management

be more flexible and encouraging. Less with the stick more with the carrot

"Excellent Career Advancement Opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at Page has been an excellent experience that I would recommend to all driven, motivated and competitive individuals. Having started right out of college, there were many challenges and obstacles to overcome in learning recruitment and getting myself up to speed; however, with hard work and resilience I was able to build a career here which has led to 4 promotions in just under 4 years with the business.

The company values its employees and rewards those who hit their targets. If you are consistent and performing well, you will have flexibility and reap the benefits of a performance based culture. The quarterly trips are always a great time in excellent locations. There are few organizations that allow for your base salary to exponentially increase (double/triple) over the span of a few short years like Page does.

The working environment is fun and competitive. Plenty of opportunities to be recognized for excellent performances. Company culture is work-hard play-hard (i.e. fun incentives, quarterly parties, happy hours). The benefits are great (401k, vacation, medical). Most importantly, there is a ton of potential for career advancement and the ability to make a ton of money.

Cons

No real cons, just be aware that recruitment is a tough job that requires resilience, determination and adaptability. Hours can be long in the beginning, but the company has gone in the right direction by fostering a performance based culture which allows for flexibility.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employee suggestions. Keep the performance based culture.

"So so"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quality sales training for recent grads.

Cons

People are dishonest and rewarded for poor behavior.

Jan 23, 2018 – Richard Vickers, Regional Managing Director, North America

We certainly have a renowned training program that goes well beyond beginner level and spans to managerial trainings and Directors conferences. Regarding your additional feedback, we adhere to a... More

"Save yourself and jump ship! Really listen to negative reviews! There's a truth to the pattern!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As of 2017:

- more flexibility on time (probably b/c of all these glassdoor reviews about work life balance)
    - more aggressive training and development
    - 20 plus pto days
    - lots of social functions

Cons

- if you're not billing that month, don't expect to go home on time
    - minimum 60 hours work week
    - now they rank you on the wall every month to see who is #1 and who is bottom (competitive culture is what they claim)
    - they also rank your KPIs to make sure you're not dozing off at work
    - during pto, still required to work b/c if you lose a deal due to your absence
    - extensive use of profanity, millennial culture, sales shark mentality, clique structure, overly stressed job 24/7
    - can't take lunch as group anymore since there needs to be at least one person to "man the phones" (yeah, like clients don't like their lunch times too?)
    - you think turnover rate is still high? sure! now add management turnover rate to the list!
    - NY corporate is always trying to bring in new "leaders" from across the pond and it doesn't work b/c of cultural clash
    - strong managers go independent and don't want the hassle of a team underneath them (kudos to them)
    - we have 22-25 year olds holding manager titles b/c there is lack of seniority in the structure (some do deserve it)
    - you're always moving teams so don't get comfortable. I've seen and heard some people get moved more than 3 times in one year (luckily I was only moved once)
    - corporate likes to send their regional managers down from time to time and give us a boost of motivation (expect more vulgarity, verbal harassment, shunned among your colleagues, and a beating)
    - nothing has changed from reviews posted in 2014

We were supposed to increase headcount this year, but instead we lost a handful of people this last quarter in 2017.

Obviously the brand is global so MP will try to keep a strong stature, but please really listen to reviews like these. If you love sales without being commissioned then go for it. What's the worst that can happen? You'll see.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring good looking people that competency. Get some educated millennials that aren't fresh bait from college so you can retain. Turnover shouldn't be hitting 90 percent ever 2 years. Stop bringing other management in from different countries and regions. Trying to start over again and again hasn't worked with that routine. Let the directors who have been in this office the longest run things properly based on how they see fit for this market.

Value your employees more. I heard the phrase "I can replace you. You're just a number" going around a lot from upper management. Why would anyone want to work hard when that's all you're going to throw at them every single quarter during review? And this isn't advice for Houston management. It's more for management that come from corporate or other regions who need time to adapt and learn what Houston economy is like. It ain't NY or Boston or Chicago.

We get that it's a sales environment. That's what management blame it on when people leave. Not true. There's management in this office that has been there for 10 years. Not everyone wants to quit. It's the lack of humanity and utter chaos is why people choose to leave for better or less paying jobs.

Feb 15, 2018 – Richard Vickers, Regional Managing Director, North America

Recruitment is a performance-based, sales environment regardless of the company or the city you are in. This is not a justification, this is the plain truth. From the get-go, we are extremely... More

"Unethical"

Former Employee - Employee in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good location in Stamford, some very smart and fun people to work with, free drinks and coffee, Friday dress down, decent pay.

Cons

HR Department is a joke and unethical, clueless department leaders in the UK, systems are not great, CYA and stab in the back mentality among managers.

Advice to Management

Too trusting of certain people

Jan 11, 2018 – Richard Vickers, Regional Managing Director, North America

Thanks in large part to our global leadership team, we have remained one of the world’s exemplary recruitment firms for decades. PageGroup believes that heavily investing in support functions... More

"Current Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-nice office view
    -ability to be promoted quickly but only if you put in long hours and you're a top performer
    -decent salary

Cons

-terrible management
    -very churn and burn
    -if you don't hit your numbers, you're out with no warning
    -very political environment and very big egos
    -a ton of attrition and boiler room type setting
    -not much work/life balance
    -lack of respect from upper management
    -misogynistic and prejudiced environment

Advice to Management

-invest more in your employees
    -deliver on your promises and the culture that you speak to
    -perhaps instead of yelling, cursing and degrading your employees you can take the time to learn what their struggles are, why they are unhappy and find out ways to improve upon this
    -take responsibility for your poor management skills

Jan 30, 2018 – Richard Vickers, Regional Managing Director, North America

I assure you we have a strict code of conduct at PageGroup and a zero tolerance policy for unethical behavior. Furthermore, we promote and enforce an environment where everyone is treated equally and... More

8. "Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We will never be a company that hires 100 people in a month and see who sticks. Each person we bring on, we hire with the intention to drive them to their highest potential with every opportunity within the business to move up quickly and make a lot of money on the way.

Our extensive training and constant support at every level is extremely important to our business which is why we have high expectations and can keep people accountable to having a high performing sales office.

Another huge plus is PageGroup has given me the opportunity to have a ton of amazing experiences and travel to: London, New York, Houston, San Diego, New Orleans, Bahamas, Nashville, Las Vegas, etc.

Cons

You need to work harder than you think to get to a point of consistency. Dedication to the business and the vision is key, the reward will follow.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive through performance and hold people accountable.

9. "A place to build your career"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growth is number one. Managers, Directors, MDs. Everyone is focused on how they can help our business grow and that means more opportunities for everyone.

We are treated like adults. It’s not about what minute you walk into the office or when you leave. We have metrics to hit and we need to hit them but it feels like we have a say in the strategy and how we should go about doing our jobs.

We have fun. Tons of incentives, trips and opportunities to feel great about doing well. Because we work hard so it’s nice to get recognized for that.

There are a lot of 25 year olds in the office making over 100k and that environment pushes me to work even harder.

In Chicago we have almost doubled in size this year. New people joining each month and far less of them leaving than other places I’ve worked. Should be getting a new office early next year to double our size again!

Cons

Recruitment can be hard. It’s a competitive space and deals aren’t always easy to come by

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Such great progress as a business this year.

Make sure to keep the culture as we grow. The managers spend a lot of time coaching and training everyone. Make sure there is still time for this with more people.

10. "Recruitment Consultant"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- In depth, ongoing training. I started here as a recent grad and it's incredible to look back to see how much I've grown. Michael Page has not only provided me the tools necessary to be successful in my career but also in life!
    - Clear and fair promotion plan that allows every single consultant to hit targets and move up within the organization.
    - Amazing people and culture. The team structure allows individuals to feel supported and makes every day so much more enjoyable.
    - Compensation (Being a salaried employee with an amazing bonus incentive). Let's be real; no one wants the stress of being pure commission. Because of the uncapped bonus structure, it's a win/win.
    - Having fun! Wether it's a creative business development competition or going out to a cool venue to celebrate a strong month...this company can't be beat when it comes to having a good time. There is never a dull moment as an MP employee.

Cons

If you want an "easy" job, this isn't for you. Every sales job is going to be stressful and being a recruiter comes with it's own challenges. If you want to grow, to learn and to be successful in your long term career...Michael Page could be what you're looking for.

Advice to Management

Continue to be positive, energetic and supportive!