Paramount Pictures Reviews | Glassdoor

Paramount Pictures Chairman & CEO Jim Gianopulos
Jim Gianopulos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I was not laid off but I ended up doing over 11 people's jobs and work life balance ceased to exist to be available to me or any one else (in 11 reviews)

• While working in my current position we have not beeen able to thrive due upper management and the near weekly layoffs (in 10 reviews)

1. "Intern"

I worked at Paramount Pictures full-time

Pros

Great company culture. The people who work there are very pleasant and happy to be there. The intern program provides lots of learning experiences across departments.

Cons

The program is only ten weeks, which is fairly short compared to the duration of summer break. The company has also been struggling with their films lately.

Advice to Management

The studio needs to focus on developing new franchises, and ensuring higher quality of the films they release. Many films in the recent past have lacked the level of quality necessary to ensure success.

2. "An old school corporation in need of a new school remodel"

I have been working at Paramount Pictures full-time

Pros

Beautiful place to work on a legendary lot

Cons

Terrible "Human Resources" department. They will do everything in their power to protect themselves and the corporation, but nothing for the actual humans. Awful lines of communication between HR representatives and middle/lower management employees.

Advice to Management

Restructure the entire human resources department. Advocate for transparency amongst employees for fair wages and opportunities in all departments. At the very least, try to show that you care about the well being of the people that work hard for the company.

3. "Marketing Intern"

I worked at Paramount Pictures part-time

Pros

Amazing location with a huge beautiful lot filled with production sets and movie and tv crews.

Cons

Sometimes so big that you are not able to interact with various groups and departments

Advice to Management

Spend more time making sure that various departments are able to interact and learn from each other.

"Good Employee Benefits and Orientation"

Current Employee - Vice President Marketing in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President Marketing in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Paramount Pictures full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Generous Time off at holidays
    Excellent employee training and educational reimbursement policy
    Generally employee oriented

Cons

Much turmoil and company struggling with change management and lack of a strong film slate.
    Policies can be a oblique - no employee manual or easy access to any benefit manager by phone- a lot more emphasis on the "corporate" culture of Viacom which can leave Studio employees with a sense of 'we're on the B team".
    Getting access to the right tools (i.e. computers, supplies) can be challenging as budgets are tight.

Advice to Management

The focus on 'synergy' with Viacom Corporate is not generally positive for Paramount Employees who want to retain the Paramount focus with more localized resources.

5. "Archaic ways will prevent success in the digital media age"

Former Employee - Coordinator
    Former Employee - Coordinator

I worked at Paramount Pictures full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good pay. Great vacation time, sick time, and personal time. Very good benefits. Working on the lot is fun. Looks good on resume.

Cons

Managers, supervisors, directors, VPs and presidents of departments have no power here and are extremely neurotic. The company is solely run by the Board of Directors and CEO of Viacom/Paramount. High-ranking leadership is constantly changing. They also follow old ways of business and thinking and do not recognize that people don't really go to the movies or watch TV in a traditional manner anymore, but watch media digitally online from home instead. This is rapidly bringing the company's downfall. The company should sell/merge assets ASAP before it becomes totally worthless, but it already may be too late. Also, the workforce is extremely thin here and understaffed. People quit and they are never replaced. Their work is simply handed over to other employees. The neighborhood this studio is in is bad and is basically the barrio.

Advice to Management

Recognize the change to digital media that has taken place in the industry and adjust accordingly. Sell the company or merge with a bigger player in the industry so you can get the money you need to hire more employees and stay alive.

"Former Intern"

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Paramount Pictures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed being on the lot and the interaction I had with all the other interns.

Cons

Despite being incredibly excited to land my internship, looking back at it, it was pointless and a complete waste of my time. It also didn't help with the fact my intern supervisor was actually incompetent and condescending. I get strong personalities are a part of working in entertainment but this individual was ridiculous. Furthermore, the fact this supervisor is still a part of the internship program is actually absurd. Additionally, the small department I worked for was a complete mess, and communication between all of them was terrible. I've held numerous internship positions, but even though this is the most recognizable company on my resume, my time with Paramount/this department was by far the WORST internship throughout my undergraduate career. Paramount is on the decline and I am happy I'm no longer a part of the company.

7. "Great"

I have been working at Paramount Pictures full-time

Pros

Very great pay. It's a great business and you get to know a lot of people.

Cons

Very long hours. You can become consumed by the industry.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Ok"

I worked at Paramount Pictures part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities and good pace

Cons

Didn't feel all my peers were qualified

9. "Marketing intern"

Pros

Great perks - free screenings, lots of exposure to executives

Cons

Very corporate environment

10. "A good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Paramount Pictures full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits package with healthcare and 401K. Really enjoy the discounted gym. Overall nice atmosphere to work in. Get most major holidays off, with a decent chunk of time off at Christmas

Cons

Would prefer more than 10 days vacation time and less forced holidays.