Percussion Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Somol

1. "Great place to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

Pros

Awesome work environment - team oriented. Everyone is always willing to help you with anything you need. Unlike my last position, Percussion employees go above and beyond their job titles and willingly wear multiple hats. It's the perfect environment for someone who wants to grow and learn a lot. Super smart people are around you every day. Yoga Tuesdays are a plus along with plenty of snacks!

Cons

I don't have any cons about working at Percussion. If you think learning, growing, and having fun are negatives, then you definitely don't want to work here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and great communication.

"Tough Go..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Percussion Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great start-up environment with a lot of good experience.

Cons

Must be a 100% self-starter and a male to survive at this company. If you are a woman I wouldn't recommend working here. It is a very non-transparent organization that doesn't allow for upward trajectory.

Percussion Software Response

Jun 9, 2015 – CMO and Chief Product Officer

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We do have a great start-up environment and I agree that all our employees are self-starters who are extremely motivated and personally ... More

"Great company culture and work environment"

Current Employee - Customer Success Coach in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Coach in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Percussion Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and working environment

Cons

Under paid and job security is an issue

"Better than expected in every way"

Current Employee - Manager in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Percussion Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture, collaborative with emphasis on transparency and communication
    Credit always given where it's due, and kudos are always very public
    Management team makes people feel appreciated and recognized
    Many opportunities to contribute and learn about areas outside your skill set
    Has been steadily growing, and morale and confidence have been growing as well
    Amazing, interesting, talented people to work with
    Flexible hours and ability to work from home
    Loads of free parking
    Free snacks, beverages, occasional lunch or outing
    Management team does not play politics and leads in a unified fashion
    No need to compete with Boston commuters
    Clear vision and strategy and a new level of focus
    Truly outstanding product that it's easy to get behind
    Fun, energetic environment
    Good compensation package and benefits
    None of the sexist behavior that seems commonplace in tech industry

Cons

Hard work is expected, and if you don't pull your own weight, that won't be tolerated
    Long hours can be inevitable sometimes
    No good public transit access
    Would love more vacation time
    Very fast pace at times
    Woburn isn't super exciting to commute to

Advice to Management

Make it easier to define career advancement paths for people you want to retain

"Percussion"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Woburn, MA

I worked at Percussion Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice location. Upper management were friendly,

Cons

Chaotic. I worked there for a few months. Their CMS product is hard to use. Some work was supposed to be handed over to me, but the person supposedly doing this left me with broken code, and the comment that he was billing clients in his first 2 weeks. The week long training was a joke no one was listening to the presenter. Since they to gave us so many excersizes,The middle level management seemed bored unconcerned, and directionless.

Advice to Management

You have too many managers doing very little and they have not much inclination to look at long term structural problems.

"Opportunities but can be herky jerky"

Former Employee - Manager in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Woburn, MA

I worked at Percussion Software full-time

Pros

Focus is on opportunity, so if you (think you) know how to excel, you will not be limited by management.
    When business is growing, you will be rewarded.
    Generally a positive and open culture, not too much politics.

Cons

Not much in the way of guided career development.
    Goes from "hot" to "cold" very quickly. One good quarter and the complaint is "why are we not scaling faster?" Then one bad quarter and the complaint switches instantly to "you scaled up too fast."

Advice to Management

Take a more balanced and strategic approach to growth. A strategy that changes twice a year is not a strategy.

"What a Huge Change!"

I have been working at Percussion Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The one thing that you need to know is that everything has changed. An organization that used to be fragmented and confused has really come together. The departments are close, and work together toward common success, and there is a huge amount of camaraderie... and a desire to do the right thing. On the Engineering side we employ an Agile methodology, Test Driven Development, Daily Stand-ups, and vigorously collect data to evaluate our performance as a group daily. We have a killer Sales team, an awesome Customer Services / Support Group, and a great Finance Team.

Cons

If it was a con... I would say that hard work and responsibility is expected. That being said the expectations are reasonable and targeted. We like to get things done and be responsible for our work individually and collectively.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, the amount of change in the last six months has been inspiring.

"Had such promise..."

I worked at Percussion Software full-time

Pros

The advantage of working here was actually the result of one of the "cons" listed below. The company lacked any real order, strategy or direction and because of that individuals had the ability to step up and be exposed to all aspects of the business.

Cons

The "help" that was brought in led to the near demise of the organization. Odd behavior, horrible leadership and training created an environment for finger pointing, every man for themselves-type culture and ultimately failure in just about every aspect of the business. Extremely unprofessional behavior from leadership roles developed a frat-house atmosphere with crude language as the norm. Company changed directions on a weekly basis sometimes with no real reason other than someone yelling about something.

The company had such promise at one point and there was a sense of a real team being developed which was abruptly cut with the "help" mentioned above.

Perhaps things have changed now these people have left.

10. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Woburn, MA

I worked at Percussion Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great fun and fast paced work environment
    Great sales training from people who have built successful software companies
    I really felt like management had a stake in my personal success and development (not just a number)
    They reward for success, my salary accelerated quickly

Cons

Be ready to work hard

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"A yoga room can't fix what's wrong with this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I worked at Percussion Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Don't have to commute into the city. Good health benefits. Some really nice people. Generally flexible for individual work schedules.

Cons

Percussion is ruled by the whims of an all-powerful board of directors who's only interaction with the people of the company is to tell them how rich the board is and insult the employees. Management believes they will succeed just because they have "never failed". HR is inaccessible, terrible vacation plan, management all hates each other, sales bullpen is like a frat house, sales reps are trained to be unprofessional, lack of focus. You can't believe anything anyone says.

Advice to Management

Hire good people, pay them what they are worth and then trust them to do their jobs well. Bring some professionalism back to the sales approach. All employees (including management) should have to actually use the product before trying to sell or market it.