Pierce Manufacturing Reviews | Glassdoor

Pierce Manufacturing Reviews

Updated Sep 24, 2019

Found 79 reviews

2.7
Pierce Manufacturing CEO James Johnson (no image)
James Johnson
Pros
  • "Alignment with the Oshkosh Corporation MOVE strategy and focus on People First is evident(in 5 reviews)

• "Good benefits, lots of good people(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Just force more mandatory overtime, everything will work itself out(in 5 reviews)

• "Upper management uses People First Culture as a tool to discipline and terminate hardworking people who are not liked or(in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best place I have worked so far."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, WI

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits, good holiday schedule, good people to work with (at the IPP plant) lots of overtime, 2nd shift is guaranteed to have weekends off.

Cons

Lots of overtime, only two weeks vacation through your first 8 years, management can move you to any department at anytime, if not required to work during plant shut down during 4th of July you have to use vacation, which is usually 3-4 days.

Advice to Management

Do not require your employees to use vacation during plant shutdown!!

Pierce Manufacturing2018-12-28

December 28, 2018VPHR

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback. We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your time at Pierce! We truly value our team members opinions on how we can improve. Although we focus on making decisions that will positively impact our team and the business alike, such as our recent increase to our 2nd and 3rd shift differentials, we understand that some may not agree with all the decisions made. We encourage you to speak with your Supervisor and/or your HR Business partner regarding any concerns you have with the vacation or shutdown policies. They will gladly help provide you additional insight to both.

2. "design engineer"

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time

Pros

Great people and work enviornment

Cons

out of date software. could use updated offices

Pierce Manufacturing2018-12-05

December 5, 2018VPHR

Thank you for your feedback! We are working to improve some of our software programs and are also implementing a new ERP system in 2019; additionally, and very soon, we are launching a brand new People Technologies platform called WorkDay! This will provide Self-Service efficiencies to our team members for many personal tasks previously requiring office assistance. As for our many office spaces, there is a progressive plan being created to update, as there was for our lunchrooms that have been newly remodeled! Please check our electronic sign boards throughout the facilities as the updates progress.

"Inept management"

Current Employee - Assembler

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time

Pros

Fair pay, challenging work, you get to build firetrucks!

Cons

Terrible training, doesn't seem like management thinks things through

Advice to Management

Come up with an actual training program, and for the love of God stop relying on "tribal knowledge". There needs to be a standard for everything and right now you rely on word of mouth.

Pierce Manufacturing2019-09-24
  4. "Overall"

Former Employee - Quality Engineer

I worked at Pierce Manufacturing part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pierce is known for quality and its people. friendly and helpful people, a lot of potential in moving up the ladder.

Cons

Nothing that would stick out.

Pierce Manufacturing2019-07-31

"People First = Disciplinary Tool"

I worked at Pierce Manufacturing full-time

Pros

Great industry - lots of pride in what you do for Customer!

Cons

Upper management uses People First Culture as a tool to discipline and terminate hardworking people who are not liked or “in the clique”. Don’t make the wrong person mad, or you will be fired.

Advice to Management

All upper management should quit or be exited. Start over, and hire people who live People First, and who truly care for the employees. The numbers will follow when the people are treated right!

Pierce Manufacturing2019-08-18

"COULD be a great place to work"

Current Employee - Electrician in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time

Pros

- Pay is decent. - Consistent raises. - Work is relatively easy if you are technically inclined. - Fairly clean work area.

Cons

- Grossly mismanaged. - Constant, year round mandatory overtime. - Odd shifts. - Raises based on attendance instead of performance. - Work/Life balance non existent. - Scheduling is not family friendly. - Quality of work declining due to jobs being rushed. - Favoritism, buddy system, and vastly different expectations between people/shifts. - Management will not address issues described on the previous line.... If you bring up these blatantly obvious issues you are likely to be reprimanded for talking about it. - Rock bottom moral

Advice to Management

With newer people not staying long and older people retiring at a high rate, something needs to be done to retain employees and improve moral. More quality employees are needed. Recommend going back to the old pay scale. Consider placing a hard limit on mandatory overtime. Allow people to get to top pay faster based on performance. Work to improve efficiency and quality in all areas. Allow flexibility in scheduling... in mfg. areas. Most importantly, Pierce needs to learn the value of happy employees with good work/life balance. Look to European companies for inspiration.

Pierce Manufacturing2019-06-11

"Long hours and poor management."

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay is pretty good if you have worked here for a long time. The work itself isn't too bad in most areas of the plant.

Cons

Very poor work/life balance. Expect long hours and weekends with plenty of mandatory overtime. It has been this way for years and I doubt it will change anytime soon. They will also force you to use vacation days when they want you to. Bottom line is always how many trucks can be shipped. Nothing else matters anymore. Long term solutions to problems are always skipped for quick fixes to shove product out the door... to hit a certain number for the month. Management will pretend to listen to solutions but will never bother if it means that it might even temporarily slow the schedule down.

Advice to Management

Let me guess, "You are continually looking for ways to improve work/life balance"? This has been the answer for years. Will we ever see an actual solution?

Pierce Manufacturing2019-07-01

"High school all over again?!"

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing

Pros

Work is very easy. Most people are very good people in and outside of work. Good Work is not a necessity. The less you know, the further you go... Only have to work as hard as the slowest person.

Cons

Lots of overtime. The harder you work, the more coworkers hate you. Team leads are very selective on what they see or don’t see. Supervisors push push push the do-ers with knowledge of the people’s career goals, with no intention of helping or achieving said goals. The less they say or see, the less work they have to take care of? Idk but if you were popular in high school I could see you fitting in here aswell. ... Very two faced place.

Advice to Management

See above comments. Been at pierce for about 5 years, change my mind..... I’ll wait.........

Pierce Manufacturing2019-05-30

May 31, 2019Sr HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the feedback. Pierce definitely prides itself on having the best, most hardworking team members. We are like one big family! But, we certainly understand we have opportunities for improvement. We are making great strides in improving overtime across all departments at Pierce. Your local HR Team is here to support you and we continue to encourage you to bring your concerns forward so we can address them in a timely manner.

"Low pay, bad management"

Former Employee - Engineer in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Pierce Manufacturing full-time for more than a year

Pros

So many hours you wont have free time to do anything else! With minimal pay to boot

Cons

Large overtime, very far behind technilogically, bad and incompetent management,

Advice to Management

You dont want overworked firefighters rescuing you so why the hell do you want overworked employees building their trucks. Hire more employees, pay them reasonable wages, and lower expectations to reasonable levels

Pierce Manufacturing2019-05-26

May 31, 2019Sr HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the feedback. We are making great strides in improving overtime across all departments at Pierce. We also have really great leadership development programs that all people leaders will be required to attend, if they haven't done so already. As we continue our journey to become a People First culture, we may experience some bumps in the road, but as with any major culture shift, this change doesn't happen overnight. Thank you again for your feedback!

"Poor ability to move up"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Appleton, WI

I worked at Pierce Manufacturing full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will stay exactly where you are!

Cons

It is very difficult to move up or get a raise

Advice to Management

Old employees talk to the young ones, your actions will be remembered.

Pierce Manufacturing2019-05-27