Pierce Manufacturing Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. Featured Review

"Love the culture."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very friendly staff that is really focused on the customer. You're work actually matters here.

Cons

It's cold in Wisconsin half the year!

Advice to Management

I really appreciate the People First initiatives. I can be as involved with them as I want, please keep them up.

"Pays well, but inefficiency is rewarded (your boss does not know how to do your job)"

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time

Pros

The work is at least challenging- its varied, and you will be forced to develop independent problem solving skills. The endless overtime can be good a financial opportunity for the young and highly energetic.

Cons

Excessive poorly planned overtime, extremely poor use of space- areas tend to be severely overcrowded or empty- employees from multiple departments sent to perform conflicting projects simultaneously, production management seems to lack understanding of mathematical relevance of information, HR is increasingly un-ethical (bullying used to deter employees from making Worker's Compensation claims, multiple policies that conflict with state/federal/agency law, ongoing hour shaving), and no guidelines for professional structured communication.

Advice to Management

1. The first level or production level hourly management, "Team Leaders," should be able to perform- or at least understand the work of the people they are supervising. Electricians should be supervised by an experienced electrician, welders by a former welder, etc... 2. The fact that something has been accepted as a practice does not mean that it is, or ever was, a good idea. Also, not all good ideas apply to all manufacturing situations- work out the details. Do not conduct too many new experiments in re-arranging the production environment the at the same time; the scientific method allowed for the testing of one variable at a time so that cause and effect can be shown. 3. Verbal directions should be re-inforced with documentation that includes an explanation of time frame, context, location, and contact information. Documentation should be accessible.

Pierce Manufacturing Response

Feb 20, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

Thanks for taking the time to voice your concern and write a review. We've forwarded the comments to various personnel to be addressed. In the interest of improvement, please contact us if you'd like ... More

3. "Great company"

Current Employee - Electrician
    Current Employee - Electrician

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay. Stable. Overtime

Cons

Started with zero time off.

5. "Great Company!"

Pros

Great company culture that makes you apart of their growing family

Cons

Not set hours. Have to finish your work until you are done.

"This was the best company, let's make it great again!"

Pros

This use to be the elite place to work, it is still exciting to build fire apparatuses. Many employees are great talented and helpful employees. The work is fun.

Cons

Constant mandatory overtime, upper and middle management disconnected, no room for employees to develop. Once you are at top pay you will sit there with the laziest people making the same as you.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent, know the worth of your people. When the subject of equal pay comes up everyone on the floor makes the same, so that is fine, but women hardly ever get to be in higher roles. The reason they are not promoted is they are not one of the good old boys, the company does not try to promote them, and they need to get out of Stone Age. Somebody needs to hold people accountable and get rid of the corrosive management.

7. "Not what it once was"

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time

Pros

If you like to work a lot, I mean a lot, then this is the place for you. You can, basically, work as many hours as you want.

Cons

Low pay, bad insurance, little to no benefits, incompatent management, tons of waste, and a bad culture.

Advice to Management

If management would just listen to thier employees, most if not all of the waste and problems would disappear.
    Nothing will change until management seriously follows through with employee ideas.

8. "Not a bad job if managed better"

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is great
    The people you work with are good people

Cons

Overtime is excessive. Working 7 days a week is not uncommon
    Extremely mismanaged
    Some day shift starts at 3:30am

"We build awesome trucks! Unfortunately, the quality of management and many employees is not quite as awesome. :-("

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like working 6 days/week due to forced OT, enjoy piss-poor communication between management and employees, then this is the job for you!

Snarky comments aside, I actually very much enjoy my work. Many of the people I work with are talented and dedicated, but there are also far too many that just go through the motions and collect their undeserved paycheck every two weeks. Ifbi had to list pros:

I get paid for working so that's a plus.

I get to work independently without someone constantly watching over what I do.

I get a benefit package. (Overall, it's pretty lackluster, but there is some upside.)

I get to go home at the end of the day.

Cons

Poor communication

Management is unengaged

Too many employees rewarded simply for showing up.

Hard work and dedication is rarely noticed and is not rewarded. The employee with an efficiency rating more than 140% of department average receives the same salary increase as someone working at 50-60% of department average.

Pi** poor attitudes throughout the company.

Too much forced overtime.

For the amount of hours we put in every week, vacation is slow in coming for new hires and takes a long time to accrue any reasonable amount.

Advice to Management

Go out on the production floor. Talk to the employees that are on the front lines and see what they have to say. Don't just glad hand occasionally and then scream "people first" in an attempt to make it seem like you're engaged when most of you are clueless what happens in the real world.

Try and realize how better benefits for the employees would improve morale and most likely enhance productivity throughout the company. Happy employees are productive employees, but unhappy employees drain the company financially more than any cost increase better benefits would provide.

The people here aren't machines. We have lives outside of Pierce Mfg and need personal time to stay healthy, happy and better able to serve the needs of the company during our time on the clock.

Better communication all around. Not by setting up subcommittees the majority of us never know or interact with, but by direct connections with the individuals producing our outstanding products. Many of us would love to have the chance to have our voices heard.

10. "Welder"

Former Employee - Welder/Fabricator in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Welder/Fabricator in Appleton, WI

I worked at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If your a butt kisser,brown nosing,useless turd you'll do great there. Because that's all that Excell there

Cons

Too many butt kissers,brown Noser's, you'll either fit right in,or disappear in all the same

Advice to Management

Open your eyes... quit thinking about only you and your bottom line. Care about your workers even though upper management doesn't

"Pierce"

Pros

Cool product, meeting the customer (firefighters), paid overtime

Cons

Long hours, engineering teams spread out through many buildings