Pierce Manufacturing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
James Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company cares about the employees, and wants us to have a good work-life balance (in 2 reviews)

• When forced to work 10 hour days and 5 or 8 hours on Saturday you will get a lot of hours in (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has turned its head to the importance of experience (in 3 reviews)

• With that, my supervisor and boss have absolutely no clue how to do my job after a decade (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Pierce is An Excellent Place To Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time

Pros

There are a lot of people working at Pierce who have been here for 20-30+ years for a reason - it is a very good place to work. Pierce as a company has a great reputation and is very, very successful at what they do. You can be proud to work here.

Because of their success, the pay is excellent and there is a lot of job security, but there's also a fair amount of over time that comes with that success, which some people love, and some hate. There can be as much as 5-10 hours of overtime a week, one week being mandatory and the next week voluntary.

Management is excellent. The majority of floor supervisors at all levels are very friendly and approachable. They are very responsive to requests for time off. They genuinely care about feedback we give them. They appreciate when you put in overtime.

Another great thing about Pierce is the people who work there. Most are friendly and good natured, and know their job.

Cons

The health benefits are roughly equal to a "silver plan" on Obamacare (gold,silver,bronze) but at about half the price of the Obamacare silver plans.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Apr 3, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! In the interest of improvement, please contact us if you'd like to further discuss your benefit comments at humanresources@piercemfg.com or 920-832-3000.... More

2. "Great People To Work With"

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, great pay. I have worked with the same people for 16 years now.

Cons

The parking at 41 is less than stellar.

Oct 17, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback and your commitment to Pierce!

3. "Purchasing Associate"

Former Employee - Purchasing Associate in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Purchasing Associate in Appleton, WI

I worked at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company and employees are dedicated to their customers and industry.
    Pierce offers many opportunities to be involved with product and community.

Cons

Advancement opportunities seem to be limited.
    As a part of a large corporation individuals can be overlooked.

Advice to Management

Take advantage of the experienced work force.

"Not the Pierce I grew up hearing about."

Current Employee - Assembler in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Assembler in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You know your schedule each week, except for weekend overtime. The pay is better than most places in the area, and they consistently give cost of living raises higher than the national average inflation rate.

Cons

Lots of negative people. They changed the pay scale shortly after I started working there, meaning I won't get top pay in 8 years anymore, now it's more like 20-25 years. Some managers don't have a clue how to build a fire truck. There's a big lack in continuity between shifts. They hold on to bad employees far too long.

Advice to Management

Go back to the old pay scale. Pay your people like you care about them. Stop bringing new people on and paying them more than the people you hired last year are making now. And stop hiring supervisors who don't know how to build a fire truck.

"Assembler"

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is pretty good. I like some of the people I work with. It's clean work and pretty easy.

Cons

Management is horrible. They don't listen to the floor workers. Mandatory overtime is the thing I hate the most. We work 6 days a week mon-sat. We are supposed to be first shift but sometimes we have to start at 4 a.m. We need to have three shifts but management would rather make us work tons of mandatory overtime than add a third shift. No one is held accountable for anything. It used to be a lot better at Pierce but lately I've been looking for another job.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

6. "Keep Working Toward People First"

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tremendous amount of pride among the employees for the product they create and the fire industry they support. The people are resourceful and do amazing work under sometimes less than stellar circumstances.

Cons

Historically inclusive and supportive of staff, with strong servant leaders who showed genuine interest in their direct reports and valued their input - not so much anymore. Slowly headed back in that direction in some areas of business, although authority seems to be preferred over respect, which is counter-intuitive to servant leadership. There is distrust between peers, seemingly unending relationship wounds, and job insecurity, mostly because people are poorly managed, rather than wisely led.

Advice to Management

Be less defensive.
    Be more inclusive.
    Say Thank you.
    Say I'm sorry.
    Be human.

Nov 13, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your input on ways that we can improve all of our People First efforts. As stated often by our CEO Wilson Jones, we are striving everyday toward a better People First culture. The... More

"Beyond Terrible"

Former Employee - Assembler in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Assembler in Appleton, WI

I worked at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay (the only benefit) they treat employees terribly, mandate way too much overtime. The only thing that is beneficial is the pay, they pay people good so that it’s hard for them to leave. Ask any veteran that’s works there and they will say if they could’ve afforded a pay cut they would’ve left in a heartbeat.

Cons

Everything. They say that the culture is “people first” the only thing that’s comes first is money. They do not care about you as a person or an employee and management is terribly rude.

Advice to Management

Quit being so stuck up and care about your employees. Be real and engage with your employees.

Dec 4, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and we would like to invite you to meet with your supervisor and HR to discuss some of the concerns outlined... More

8. "Great place to work with people that care"

Current Employee - IT Business Manager in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - IT Business Manager in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most employees care about the company and the work they do, so it's nice to work with other dedicated people. Work schedule is flexible to allow for a better work/life balance.

Cons

Benefits are average compared to other employers in the area.

Oct 17, 2017 – HR Generalist

9. "Large Company that feels small"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible scheduling, generous PTO, and many opportunities for professional development and training. There seems to be a strong focus on developing employees which is refreshing. Alignment with the Oshkosh Corporation MOVE strategy and focus on People First is evident. People are passionate about the product and some days feel more like family than colleagues.

Cons

Always a space crunch that they are trying to overcome. Also some of the office facilities are not as up to date as others.

Oct 17, 2017 – HR Generalist

We appreciate your feedback. Pierce is certainly one big family, and we hope this continues to attract quality talent and those who also share the same values. We continue to discuss facilities and... More

10. "Unique Culture Fosters Pride in Work"

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Team members take pride in their work; they care
    -Intimate relationship exists with customers; they visit the factory often
    -The product is cool and helps save property and lives
    -Stability resulting from being part of a Fortune 500 Company (Oshkosh Corporation)
    -Clean and safe work environment

Cons

-Cyclical OT with peaks and valleys throughout the month/quarter

Sep 18, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you greatly for your feedback and thank you for all you do to make Pierce's culture unique and awesome!