Pierce Manufacturing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
James Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Alignment with the Oshkosh Corporation MOVE strategy and focus on People First is evident" (in 3 reviews)

• "Pay and benefits are good if you have been there a while" (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management has turned its head to the importance of experience" (in 3 reviews)

• "Benefits are adequate and health insurance is reasonably priced" (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Unique Culture Fosters Pride in Work"

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Team members take pride in their work; they care
    -Intimate relationship exists with customers; they visit the factory often
    -The product is cool and helps save property and lives
    -Stability resulting from being part of a Fortune 500 Company (Oshkosh Corporation)
    -Clean and safe work environment

Cons

-Cyclical OT with peaks and valleys throughout the month/quarter

Sep 18, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you greatly for your feedback and thank you for all you do to make Pierce's culture unique and awesome!

2. "Great People To Work With"

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, great pay. I have worked with the same people for 16 years now.

Cons

The parking at 41 is less than stellar.

Oct 17, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback and your commitment to Pierce!

"Not what it used to be."

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good if you have been there a while.

Cons

Poor to non-existent management. Way too much overtime. Unorganized.

Advice to Management

Do something! Overtime is not the fix for your inability to manage a company.

May 31, 2018 – HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and we would like to invite you to meet with your supervisor and HR to discuss some of the concerns outlined... More

"Not what they used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI

I worked at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I used to love my job.

Cons

Employees are not valued or respected as much as they used to be.

"Okay with a lack of diversity"

I worked at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Beautiful product. Corporate leadership is headed in the right direction in trying to change the culture by putting people first and making it a place people WANT to work.

Cons

Biggest issues are a lack of desire to promote from within and a lack of diversity in leadership. From middle management on up there seems to be a lack of desire for minority managers.

Advice to Management

This is a complex product that it takes a while to learn. You can’t just bring anyone in off the street to lead your people or do most of these jobs. Focus on improving the process upfront to improve the quality of incoming orders. If you do that you will find that the problems downstream will evaporate.

May 31, 2018 – HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We continue to strive to fill many of our positions from within the company but also understand that to create... More

"Good pay, Poor work/life balance"

Former Employee - Senior Material Planner in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Material Planner in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you can hang in there, Pierce will pay you and they will pay you very well.

Cons

The point system is made to be "For Pierce" not for the employee. They do not allow any sick days or personal days. The points system is very strict. If you call in, not only do you get a point, but they also force you to use your vacation time for the day.

Advice to Management

Consider that people have personal matters to attend to outside of work that can at times interfere when they are at work. Show a little more compassion when your people are going through a hard time.

May 31, 2018 – HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We hope that through some of our current efforts and projects that we will be able to implement more of a... More

"Purchasing Associate"

Former Employee - Purchasing Associate in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Purchasing Associate in Appleton, WI

I worked at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company and employees are dedicated to their customers and industry.
    Pierce offers many opportunities to be involved with product and community.

Cons

Advancement opportunities seem to be limited.
    As a part of a large corporation individuals can be overlooked.

Advice to Management

Take advantage of the experienced work force.

May 31, 2018 – HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. With recent policy changes, we have a larger focus on promoting from within the company. Of course, this will... More

"Not the Pierce I grew up hearing about."

Current Employee - Assembler in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Assembler in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You know your schedule each week, except for weekend overtime. The pay is better than most places in the area, and they consistently give cost of living raises higher than the national average inflation rate.

Cons

Lots of negative people. They changed the pay scale shortly after I started working there, meaning I won't get top pay in 8 years anymore, now it's more like 20-25 years. Some managers don't have a clue how to build a fire truck. There's a big lack in continuity between shifts. They hold on to bad employees far too long.

Advice to Management

Go back to the old pay scale. Pay your people like you care about them. Stop bringing new people on and paying them more than the people you hired last year are making now. And stop hiring supervisors who don't know how to build a fire truck.

"Assembler"

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is pretty good. I like some of the people I work with. It's clean work and pretty easy.

Cons

Management is horrible. They don't listen to the floor workers. Mandatory overtime is the thing I hate the most. We work 6 days a week mon-sat. We are supposed to be first shift but sometimes we have to start at 4 a.m. We need to have three shifts but management would rather make us work tons of mandatory overtime than add a third shift. No one is held accountable for anything. It used to be a lot better at Pierce but lately I've been looking for another job.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

May 31, 2018 – HR Generalist

"Keep Working Toward People First"

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tremendous amount of pride among the employees for the product they create and the fire industry they support. The people are resourceful and do amazing work under sometimes less than stellar circumstances.

Cons

Historically inclusive and supportive of staff, with strong servant leaders who showed genuine interest in their direct reports and valued their input - not so much anymore. Slowly headed back in that direction in some areas of business, although authority seems to be preferred over respect, which is counter-intuitive to servant leadership. There is distrust between peers, seemingly unending relationship wounds, and job insecurity, mostly because people are poorly managed, rather than wisely led.

Advice to Management

Be less defensive.
    Be more inclusive.
    Say Thank you.
    Say I'm sorry.
    Be human.

Nov 13, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your input on ways that we can improve all of our People First efforts. As stated often by our CEO Wilson Jones, we are striving everyday toward a better People First culture. The... More