Pierce Manufacturing Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
James Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Pierce is An Excellent Place To Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time

Pros

There are a lot of people working at Pierce who have been here for 20-30+ years for a reason - it is a very good place to work. Pierce as a company has a great reputation and is very, very successful at what they do. You can be proud to work here.

Because of their success, the pay is excellent and there is a lot of job security, but there's also a fair amount of over time that comes with that success, which some people love, and some hate. There can be as much as 5-10 hours of overtime a week, one week being mandatory and the next week voluntary.

Management is excellent. The majority of floor supervisors at all levels are very friendly and approachable. They are very responsive to requests for time off. They genuinely care about feedback we give them. They appreciate when you put in overtime.

Another great thing about Pierce is the people who work there. Most are friendly and good natured, and know their job.

Cons

The health benefits are roughly equal to a "silver plan" on Obamacare (gold,silver,bronze) but at about half the price of the Obamacare silver plans.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Apr 3, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! In the interest of improvement, please contact us if you'd like to further discuss your benefit comments at humanresources@piercemfg.com or 920-832-3000.... More

2. "Keep Working Toward People First"

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tremendous amount of pride among the employees for the product they create and the fire industry they support. The people are resourceful and do amazing work under sometimes less than stellar circumstances.

Cons

Historically inclusive and supportive of staff, with strong servant leaders who showed genuine interest in their direct reports and valued their input - not so much anymore. Slowly headed back in that direction in some areas of business, although authority seems to be preferred over respect, which is counter-intuitive to servant leadership. There is distrust between peers, seemingly unending relationship wounds, and job insecurity, mostly because people are poorly managed, rather than wisely led.

Advice to Management

Be less defensive.
    Be more inclusive.
    Say Thank you.
    Say I'm sorry.
    Be human.

Nov 13, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your input on ways that we can improve all of our People First efforts. As stated often by our CEO Wilson Jones, we are striving everyday toward a better People First culture. The... More

3. "Great People To Work With"

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, great pay. I have worked with the same people for 16 years now.

Cons

The parking at 41 is less than stellar.

Oct 17, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback and your commitment to Pierce!

4. "Great place to work with people that care"

Current Employee - IT Business Manager in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - IT Business Manager in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most employees care about the company and the work they do, so it's nice to work with other dedicated people. Work schedule is flexible to allow for a better work/life balance.

Cons

Benefits are average compared to other employers in the area.

Oct 17, 2017 – HR Generalist

5. "Large Company that feels small"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible scheduling, generous PTO, and many opportunities for professional development and training. There seems to be a strong focus on developing employees which is refreshing. Alignment with the Oshkosh Corporation MOVE strategy and focus on People First is evident. People are passionate about the product and some days feel more like family than colleagues.

Cons

Always a space crunch that they are trying to overcome. Also some of the office facilities are not as up to date as others.

Oct 17, 2017 – HR Generalist

We appreciate your feedback. Pierce is certainly one big family, and we hope this continues to attract quality talent and those who also share the same values. We continue to discuss facilities and... More

6. "Unique Culture Fosters Pride in Work"

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Team members take pride in their work; they care
    -Intimate relationship exists with customers; they visit the factory often
    -The product is cool and helps save property and lives
    -Stability resulting from being part of a Fortune 500 Company (Oshkosh Corporation)
    -Clean and safe work environment

Cons

-Cyclical OT with peaks and valleys throughout the month/quarter

Sep 18, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you greatly for your feedback and thank you for all you do to make Pierce's culture unique and awesome!

7. "Assembler III"

Current Employee - Production Assembler in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Production Assembler in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

working second shift works out great for me and my wife with regular camping trips throughout the summer.

Cons

although the pay is good, i am a firm believer of advancement based on performance and Pierce only gives raises on every one year anniversary and only the basic raise regardless of performance.

Advice to Management

quality employees (new hires) will stay with the company longer if the incentives were better i.e.: raises based on performance and better vacation.

Sep 18, 2017 – HR Generalist

We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your suggestions on how we can continue to improve. We continue to evaluate options regarding our incentives and pay practices for all team members... More

8. "Happy to Be Here"

Current Employee - Office Employee
    Current Employee - Office Employee

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work in the office (over 3 years) and am very happy with the work I do, and the people I work with. My skills and input are appreciated. I've found redundant processes and data within my job function, brought them up to management, and it was addressed quickly. Things were streamlined, files cleaned up, and I was recognized for improving efficiency. Teams in the department work well together, and we have good relationships with other departments as well.

My manager is highly skilled in multiple functions of our department, and he has the right people in the right positions to perform well. We are trained well, made part of decision-making, and recognized for successes.

The benefits are average, or slightly above. The company contributes to HSA and 401(k), as well as life insurance. Supplemental insurances are available. Wellness incentives offer nice rewards. You get 8 hours of paid volunteer time. PTO banking is really nice.

Cons

Some office areas (building and furniture) appear worn down, beat up, and old. The offices are a bit dark and drab, and collaboration spaces are lacking the openness and appeal that would increase their use.

Advice to Management

Continue driving the People First culture. Happy people are happier employees.

Sep 6, 2017 – HR Generalist

We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your dedication to Pierce. We continue to evaluate options regarding the updating of offices and hopefully, you will begin seeing some small changes... More

9. "Building the best"

Current Employee - Associate Design Engineer in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Associate Design Engineer in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good leadership with a clear direction of what is expected. Innovative products that keep us ahead of the competition. We are always busy and the work is fast paced.

Cons

Difficult to advance without a four year degree in some field. Inconsistent rules because some people are able to advance without a degree.

Sep 6, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your feedback and review. We are excited about what lies ahead for Pierce and appreciate our team members who contribute so much to the success of this organization. We continue to... More

10. "Supervisor"

I have been working at Pierce Manufacturing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, Safe working conditions, Pride in workmanship

Cons

Overtime, Schedule Changes and Oshkosh not realizing we're Pierce.

Advice to Management

Work to keep hours equitable and expand to increase capacity and allow quicker movement off less desirable shifts.

Sep 6, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and welcome your suggestions on how we can continue to improve. If you have further feedback, please contact us at... More