Plantronics Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Plantronics President and Chief Executive Officer Joe Burton
Joe Burton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Company has good work life balance" (in 22 reviews)

• "Work from home policy, unlimited PTO, great facility" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pay might not be as high as over the hill - but for someone who lives in Santa Cruz - I can't complain as I don't have to commute over the hill daily" (in 17 reviews)

• "Doesn't hide the massive market share losses that are occurring" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great company!"

Former Employee - Marketing in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Plantronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful environment. Beautiful campus in Santa Cruz. The people are great. Great and visionary leadership.

Cons

The old Santra Cruz crowd that talks about “over the hill” people coming in. Who cares where I live? Understand that innovation happens when we all work together.

Advice to Management

Great company. Keep innovating.

"Happy long time employee"

I have been working at Plantronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People oriented. Great facilities. Company provides latest hardware and systems technology for communications, collaboration and task performance.

Remote work policy also provides excellent opportunity and flexibility for work /life balance.

Cons

Too many associates dwell on past experiences and not focussed on the current changing times and brighter future ahead for the company with the Polycom acquisicion

Advice to Management

Continue to push for effective Plantronics/Polycom integration and reconsider granting equity compensation to help recruit top talent and retain experienced employees.

"Exceptional Company - Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Plantronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Leadership, rewards hard work, great training & development, growth and change opportunity, strives to do the right thing for customers and associates.

Cons

Uncertainty around acquisition creates anxiety for some associates, come associates are change averse

Advice to Management

Continuous communication and outreach to Associates. Continue and expand recognition, particularly in wake of increased workload due to acquisition.

Plantronics Response

Nov 15, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Its great to get such positive and constructive feedback - and also acknowledgement for the changes we are all going through.

Thank you for helping us to... More

"Transforming Plantronics and Polycom from good to better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Plantronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people: Polycom and Plantronics appreciate the effort that you put into the job. Company is 4 months into the acquisition and I am already seeing signs of "Better Together" throughout the company. Keep it going!

Interesting standalone product portfolio between the 2 companies, even better when these iconic products begin to integrate with one another.

Management focus on moving quickly to integrate the companies.

CEO gave an inspiring town hall. Love the candor, leadership and witnessing the emotional connect he has to the company.

Cons

Change can be hard for some employees, but most are adapting and accepting the new challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep up the energy, motivate and inspire and your employees will do amazing things.

"Uncertain Times"

I have been working at Plantronics full-time

Pros

Great work-life balance
    Some really good talent
    Potential for unique position in the industry

Cons

Severe deterioration of morale over the past 6 months
    Losing relevance vs. competition, not as agile, not as fast
    Heavy processes and overhead

Advice to Management

Focus on the business, streamline, have the courage to make tough decisions

"Very sad...."

Current Employee - Associate in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Plantronics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

PLT associates are trying to stand to their beliefs of what PLT was. There are a TON of changes and changes are hard to get through and see a POSITIVE light at the end of the tunnel - but only the associates can make that happen - no one else. And nope - right now, it's very difficult and not many things are fantastic, happy or secure feeling. It's not all bad though - we have employment with benefits.....

Cons

PLT is not like it "used" to be - no more Olympics, brought us all together and something very much to look forward to, no more holiday parties, those were fun, seeing all of us get dressed up and meeting each others families and let's not forget the food! And even the little things that made us feel like we matter - a simple Christmas card. Ok, the CEO doesn't even give them to his own family, but I don't think his family works as hard, puts their soul and pride every day into their work to not only please his stockholders but continue an amazing Santa Cruz, well- known company.

Advice to Management

Without your associates - you can't have a thriving business that everyone can be proud of. Don't keep everyone in the dark, we deserve to know what's REALLY going on behind closed doors and not just blowing smoke -let us feel we really are needed.....without us, there would be no PLT...

"pay being cut repeatedly..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Plantronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- really beautiful campus
    - nice gym
    - relatively flexible schedule
    - work from home
    - interns are treated great
    - in general, nice employees
    - not a terrible company

Cons

- increases are barely cost of living if that
    - majority of employees lost RSA stock awards (pay cut #1)
    - then another 1.5% cut in 401k plan (pay cut #2)
    - no reason not to expect another pay cut in near future
    - no pay cuts to upper mgmnt. so pay cuts not shared equally
    - morale has taken a big hit; have not heard anybody who isn't dejected over recent pay cuts or impending lay-offs
    - CEO has alienated most of the company
    - feeling of desperation within the company

Advice to Management

restore pay cuts; don't make such a big deal out of profit sharing and waste so much time calculating it - just give out a straight number of hours and if you want to give out bonuses, go ahead but just stop with elaborate formulas and discussion; stop with all of the PR over benefits - just send out the power-points and take questions, no need for a fancy roll-out for status quo

8. "Great Company!"

Former Employee - Field Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Field Sales Representative

I worked at Plantronics (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great products and team!

Cons

None that I can think of at this time

Advice to Management

Keep good people

"Keep thinking it can't get worse and it does!"

I have been working at Plantronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some good people still left. Work/Life balance

Cons

About 1 1/2 years ago it started to get bad but the last 6 months have hit a boiling point. Dirty politics run this company and people are fearful. Any harassment is tolerated because of this. Good ol boy club is alive and well here and gaining traction.
    Employees and customers are no longer the priority at Plantronics; just a number. Stock options slashed suddenly from most employees resulting in a significant pay cut.
    Sales and marketing moral is so low people are paralyzed. This used to be such a great company to work for. Current sales leaders are blind to the solid relationships with customers and industry leaders that have built this company. Moving away from our core business is a shameful mistake.

Advice to Management

Look at what made Plantronics great. Don't break the parts that are working/making money.

"Run Away"

I have been working at Plantronics full-time

Pros

Used to be is the common refrain. Product quality, service and support, collegiality and team spirit were exceptional. Sadly, this is not the case any more.

Cons

No longer feel proud to work at the company. Need to take a shower when you get home. Quality is now controlled by engineering and a psychotic CEO and letting poor products out. This is hurting our brand and reputation. Corrosive culture that is all about making the quarter by stuffing the channel, not growing the business. Is this just deceptive or is it fraud? Doesn't hide the massive market share losses that are occurring.

Advice to Management

Try being honest about what is happening. Realize that CEO is AWOL all the time. Now he is sick, before he was just invisible, but of course far better than when you actually hear him. Like he never understood the business or how we won for so many years prior to his leadership. He should resign.