Plantronics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Joe Burton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • And it has a good work/life balance philosophy (in 12 reviews)

• Great work environment, friendly coworkers (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you live in Santa Cruz the drive over the hill can be tough on a daily basis (in 16 reviews)

• Additionally, the total compensation package is lower than comparable companies in Silicon Valley (in 7 reviews)

"Peaceful environment to work"

I have been working at Plantronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance
    Support from the higher management
    Flexible work schedule - nobody monitors in/out time
    Excellent learning opportunities for a entry level engineers
    Benefits are good( Unlimited vacation policy, ESPP/RSU, 401K,Free snacks etc)
    Work culture is good
    Continuous effort to add software technologies to their arsenal

Cons

Pay is decent could be better
    Kind of laid back at times

Advice to Management

Can bring in more young talented engineers

Oct 12, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Its great to get such positive feedback and thank you for helping us to continue to improve as a company!

"out of touch management"

I have been working at Plantronics full-time

Pros

They are good at presenting a picture as if they care for the employees and for a good 2 years I was brainwashed in believing that.

Cons

The pay is absolutely terrible. I was barely able to make ends meet. It is way below the market level.

When I complained to my manager about it he told me to get a second job at Walmart or McDonald's or to start day trading.When I confessed to him that I was struggling to pay my mortgage he told me to get extra roommates even though I already had one. He redirected a out of town new employee to me and putting me in the spot having to tell no to the other person. This was after I had told my manager that I was not looking for a new roommate.

Advice to Management

Start paying the employees decently.If you start bringing in managers from terrible companies like IBM and Cisco they start poisoning the existing good culture prevailing in the company.

3. "Nice office environment"

I have been working at Plantronics full-time

Pros

Friendly colleagues, nice office environment

Cons

Office politics , commute can be challenging when the weather is bad if you are not local

"A safe haven for narcisstic managers"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Plantronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They provide a standard set of benefits that every company provides.
    The salary for CSRs was better than rest of the companies.

Cons

The managers are absolutely terrible. The worst of any kind I have worked for. I was laid off over a Lync message. The manager did not even have the guts to do it face to face. The manager also photoshopped her face to Jesus's face in a picture of Last supper as if she was the God. Also most of the jobs have been outsourced to low cost locations.

Advice to Management

Make sure you have enough lifeboats when the ship sinks.

"Terrible place for women"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Plantronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

An old boys club. So if you are a man it is not a bad place to be.
    Unlimited PTO for name's sake. But as the company admits ever since they started the new policy the number of days people have been taking vacation has actually gone down.

Cons

Minorities and women have been treated like total disposables. Managers run the show for their inner circle of friends. Your opinions are of token value and in fact most of the times I am not even invited for most of top secret inner circle meetings. I am also kept out of technical discussions and as I learned recently even paid much lesser than most men.

You have to beg to go on a maternity leave. But even then when you approach your boss they would make it a big deal as if you were doing a big crime against the team. One of my coworkers took maternity and then she had to quit her job because her manager was not at all giving her the occasional flexibility to take care of her family. When she came back she was hired at a lower pay grade under a new manager even though he was willing to take her at a higher pay grade. The argument was that HR was given a bad report from her previous manager. That was total BS as I knew that she is a great engineer.

A Lot of women are planning to quit this place and so am I.

Advice to Management

Start paying women fairly. Each time a male manager gives a appraisal to the employee check if there is some truth to it too. This place needs some cleaning up from the old boy's club

Oct 12, 2017 – Human Resources

"Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

We take respect and equal treatment of all our associates very seriously and regret to hear that you’ve had a negative experience.

We... More

"Do not join"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Plantronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a great place to relax and chill out if you joined here in a senior position. The salary is OK. There is hardly any work. You wait here till you approach retirement.

Cons

The management is terrible. They treat you like a slave if you joined there as an entry level employee. No promotion or career growth. The managers run the facility like a dictator, and use racist terms like n word and other racial epithets they created.

Advice to Management

If you actually do not care about the employees do not pretend as if you do

Oct 12, 2017 – Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are sorry to hear that you have had this type of experience at Plantronics. Please know that we look at every Glassdoor review and take... More

"Product"

I worked at Plantronics full-time

Pros

Most people are smart, work hard and have some fun. Though there's less of the fun now. Great customer base.

Cons

The company culture is changing for the worse. Slow growth with no clear path for higher growth. Unless you're in the inner circle of sr management you're an outsider. The commute is challenging.

Advice to Management

Get out of the echo chamber. Take more risks.

"Being a talented and decent human being gets you fired at the company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Plantronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Upper management is good at scamming the investors and selling solutions that does not work. So they can keep the stock value up to keep their golden parachute still flying.

Cons

This is a story of how the incompetent management and an incompetent manager got a honest engineer who was my friend fired.My friend was one of the most honest and hard working people I have ever seen in my life. He used to be an expert in every in house technology and would volunteer for the toughest work and was more than willing to help every person in the company. Things were initially good for us under the first manager who handled two different teams.The problems started when they hired a new Engineer and a low cost team in a remote location which was lead by one of the most incompetent of managers I have ever seen in my life. That new engineer had a huge ego. From then it has been a torture for everyone in the company.

Products before they are launched into the market have problems and every one is aware of that and we report bugs internally.However that was not enough for our Mr big shot.My friend gave him a headset with a test firmware build on it. There were some bugs in it and the LEDs on it started blinking weirdly and there was some audio quality issues on it.
    However instead of reporting the bugs on team track our Mr. Big Shot had to act the hero. He makes a video and sends it to everyone of the executive management in an email saying "This is the quality of products we are shipping to our customers".
    My friend came to know about that and he was furious.He approached his new manager and asked him for help. His manager flipped his hand and threw my friend under the bus.This really upset my friend. Late in the night when he was alone he put some posters in the mens room saying "If you have to report a bug report it to the ceo and the VPs". And also some other things in his disappointment.

Agreed what my friend did was wrong. But he could have been let off after a warning considering his contributions to the company. Not only was he a great engineer but also a great person also.
    However the decision was left to his incompetent manager. My friend was fired. The Mr. Big Shot who started it all still works for the company and keeps acting like a big shot even though he is the most incompetent engineer I have ever seen in my life.

His manager's tyranny is still taking its toll as 4 great engineers working under him have already left. Any how karma is going to come and bite him in the future for all that this company and him have done to my dear friend.

Advice to Management

The upper management must really learn some other skills as they clearly cannot manage. Also someone must fire my Friend's manager as he is clearly a poison to the company.

Oct 12, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

We... More

"Director Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Plantronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Facility is beautiful. Sales organization has great relationships. Historically, great quality products and good innovation. A few great people still left. Only good news is that the workload has declined over past year.

Cons

New CEO doesn't understand customers/markets. Pet projects and favoritism. May be psychotic. CHRO self-obsessed. CFO only a controller. Doesn't understand business. Market share in free fall. Culture being destroyed. Losing ground fast. Response is to cut costs and reward favorites.

Advice to Management

Need to replace CEO, CHRO, and CFO. The rot starts at the head of the fish.

Sep 29, 2017 – Human Resources

10. "Its a very good company"

Current Employee - Intern in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Plantronics (Less than a year)

Pros

Plantronics is a very good company

Cons

Nothing bad about this comapny

Advice to Management

It is a very good company