Policygenius Reviews | Glassdoor

Policygenius Reviews

Updated Nov 3, 2019

4.4
Policygenius CEO Jennifer Fitzgerald (no image)
Jennifer Fitzgerald

"Love what I see so far."

I have been working at Policygenius

Pros

I come from working for big companies, so a start up was a bit of a change for me. However, everyone here has my transition to working for a start up seamless. Very helpful coworkers who really do want their colleagues to succeed. I’ve noticed everyone really does care about their work, and helping our clients. For the first time in my life I can confidently say this is a place I can see myself at for many years... to come. (Location is also absolutely prime, we are right by the Flatiron Building).

Cons

I’m only a few months in, but as far as that goes I don’t see any cons as of yet. Maybe the office could use a touch up but other than that it’s been smooth sailing for me.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing great.

Policygenius2019-11-03
  2. "A great choice for career growth"

I have been working at Policygenius full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work you do is meaningful, you see real-time feedback from customers, and the company sets you up to work successfully right from the beginning with lots of training. With a company this size, it can be easy to silo departments, but cross-functional work is highly valued here, and Pg supports that with rotating department updates so you know what each team is working on. This is a very feedback-driven culture... so you’ll always know your areas of strength and development. If you want to improve in any given area, you’re usually given many opportunities to do so. Great leadership team. The cofounders are smart, personable, and regularly host AMAs where you can literally ask them anything. They also aren’t above laughing at themselves. The people team works really hard to make sure everything runs smoothly, and you see that from the moment you receive an invite to interview here.

Cons

The office looks terrible. It’s ugly, dark, and in desperate need of sunlight. There are very few coworking spaces apart from your desk. We also need more bathrooms. I wish there was a more lax WFH policy for teams who can. I think Ops team members feel more of the cons than other departments, so I don’t have much to contribute here.

Policygenius2019-10-22

"Great culture horrible tech"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Policygenius full-time

Pros

Great company culture, mostly everyone is extremely kind, good benefits, snack's, very laid back, work load isn't too much.

Cons

Tech is very low grade, alot tech debt. Not much engineering is involved more or less using 3rd party vendors and libraries you don't get to be creative and fun. Stack is very slow and hard to work with due to complex and poorly written abstracted code. Management picks favorites, if you're not a favorite you won't get treated nicely. Too much focus is on how the company looks from the outside instead of actually... writing good software

Advice to Management

Focus more on fixing the tech debt and less on how the company looks from the outside.

Policygenius2019-10-22

"Great culture for hard-workers"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-II in New York, NY

I have been working at Policygenius full-time for less than a year

Pros

- The people are welcoming and I have fun everyday with my co-workers - Engineering cares about their work and is proud of it, there are no slackers - There's always something new to work on, we're growing rapidly - There's a great LGBTQ culture here (we just had PRIDE month) - We actually care about our values, they aren't just tag-lines for hiring - There are awesome events every month to get a chance to get... to know some people you don't spend time with every day, and they're always different - The engineering culture is spectacular, we have our own goals & initiatives, it really brings everyone together

Cons

- A con for some people: it's a fast-growing, successful startup w/ dedicated leaders & big goals, don't expect to stroll in at noon and leave at 5, everyone works hard and is here a full day - The pay is more modest than other companies I looked into, but I was offered a lot of stock

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!! I'm very happy at PG!

Policygenius2019-08-15

"Best startup I've ever worked at!"

Former Employee - Senior Product Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Policygenius full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Very Process Driven - Great Culture - Receptive Leadership

Cons

- Work Life Balance Could Be Better - Benefits and Perks Could Be Better - Lots of Documentation

Advice to Management

Consider improving benefits package or including free lunches on a weekly basis. As the team grows I think it's important to ensure employees have a healthy work life balance. I believe the current work life balance at Policygenius reflects an earlier stage startup while upper management regularly puts in the normal 9-5 while employees put in much longer hours.

Policygenius2019-07-26

"Great Culture"

Current Employee - Case Management Associate

I have been working at Policygenius full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company has a great culture, and really makes you feel comfortable. It is also very diverse

Cons

Who can think of Cons when you have cute dogs scampering around the office!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. It is working.

Policygenius2019-07-26

"No Longer a Good Company"

Current Employee - Juniors Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Policygenius full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, free coffee and snacks

Cons

Long hours, micro-managing, preferential treatment to some over others. No commission structure or recognition for the hard work.

Advice to Management

If the good people are leaving, something is terribly wrong.

Policygenius2019-09-04

"Amazing people to work with in an empowering culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Policygenius full-time

Pros

- The team workflow is pretty amazing. A lot of great work gets accomplished with really interesting problems to solve. - We’re always looking for ways to improve ourselves and the team. The managers have always been supportive and enabling to the team to accomplish what we think is best. - Everyone has a pleasant personality. It’s easy to randomly mingle with people from other teams. - Very strategic and... driven to accomplish goals and achieve our company vision. Being exposed to this makes me feel more knowledgeable outside of my area of expertise. - There are many opportunities to learn SO MUCH and contribute to the team. It’s a really collaborative culture.

Cons

- Things can get pretty busy, but not too overwhelming. At the end of the day, I still feel pretty accomplished. - Sometimes initiatives can fall through the cracks as other priorities come into play. Not a huge deal though since we’re still always trying to improve.

Policygenius2019-03-06

"Great but may not be for everybody."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Policygenius full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very smart and friendly coworkers. - Safe work environment. - A lot of trust is given to the employees to do their jobs correctly and to do what's right for the company. - The most inclusive workplace I've ever seen.

Cons

- There's not much flexibility with working from home. - Benefits aren't great. (No tuition reimbursement, no 401k plan, parental leave is like 2 weeks paid.)

Policygenius2019-03-08

"A place you truly want to work...with incredible people"

Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Policygenius full-time for more than a year

Pros

Empowerment - At Policygenius, we are empowered to do our own work. Product teams (and other teams) are held accountable for our work and performance but are allowed to execute against goals with autonomy. Customer first - At Policygenius, we are solving a real customer problem and it shows. Our team is always tied into what the customer is thinking, doing, needs, etc. and uses that to influence how we market and... build product. We do a great job coupling this with our data analysis to make sure we are always focused on the right customer problems to solve. Measure what matters - Policygenius is incredibly data driven, where we have well established company objectives and key results that trickle all the way down to the individual teams. We have the necessary tools and support to measure everything we need to. This makes it fairly easy to make trade-offs and determine the impact anything and everything has on the business. Employees that truly care - Policygenius has done incredible job attracting individuals that care a lot about the quality of work they produce and always putting the customer first. Everyone cares a lot about each other, and are always willing to help out.

Cons

Too data driven - Occasionally there is such a focus on the numbers, it’s crippling. We look at volume and conversion sometimes at the daily level which impacts our day-to-day. With that being said this is also a positive because we are always focused on how our work will impact the business. The new shiny object - Sometimes there is a tendency to fall in love with a new idea/feature and lose sight of our true... focus of addressing customer problems/needs and the highest order problem.

Advice to Management

Strike the right balance with teams when it comes to focusing on the numbers and avoid it being extremely time consuming. Make sure employees are getting the proper coaching and development they need to grow their careers.

Policygenius2019-02-19