Pooles Cable Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 3, 2017

1.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fast paced & good money"

Current Contractor - Cable Installer in Hattiesburg, MS
    Current Contractor - Cable Installer in Hattiesburg, MS

I have been working at Pooles Cable as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Money, Specialty Trade, Awesome Company, Great Owner, Nice Company Shirts.

Cons

Little Time Off, Poor Management in Larger Systems, Pay For Own Fuel, No Benefits.

Advice to Management

Company Jackets, Non Trucker Style Hats, & Benefits.

2. "If you're into rape, then this is the job for you! - Do you know what I am saying?"

Former Employee - Cable Tech in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Cable Tech in Jackson, MS

I worked at Pooles Cable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got an in depth look into the Comcast cable world. I met a lot of cool people doing internet, phone, and tv installs, as well as an in depth look into how fiber plants are designed, maintained, and serviced. I got to see how people really live in multi million dollar estates, federally funded cookie cutter homes, the pine belt's finest trap house establishments, lucrative backpage operations in dwellings that need to be condemned, and really got to see how messed up society really is and the extreme lengths that people will go for to get cable and Internet. It really is a trip that I think everyone should experience. I made some really cool friends, business connections, and had my new awesome job thrown in my lap while doing this job. While working as a Comcast tech, it is nice to have certain privileges while you're getting penetrated throughout the day like, parking in parking lots, fire lanes at the front of busy commerce establishments, and sometimes you get really odd tips from customers, some in which are fantastic. Do you know what I am saying? That's about the pros i have to offer.

Cons

Goodness. Where do we start? Working for free was probably my biggest con. As a contractor, you get paid by the completed job. Which isn't bad, unless the contractor you work for is literally jabbing your bum with a conduit pipe wrapped in ground wire and j-hooks and taking most of what you make on the job. You pay your own gas, which is understandable until you drive 30 miles to a job, it doesn't get completed you spend 2 hours getting a prebury put in all for free. There are days you will work 10 hours and not make a dime, which are very tough pills to swallow. Per the company's lawyers that I'm assuming came off Craigslist that designed and developed the company handbook that is MERLEY meeting labor laws, you can only call in 5 times in a year, you work 6-7 days a week and get 2 holidays off. You pay for your tools, vehicle upkeep, uniforms, and a lot of other out of pocket expenses. A lot of false dreams that sound good are pitched to you on a weekly basis to keep you interested that never happen. You are told you will make 52k a year and that the lowest tech in the company makes around 50k. This is a lie, you're doing great if you make 30k, and let's not forget all your costs while working here. You may even be told that you will be doing something completely different when your hired. It was a very disappointing experience because I actually loved the work and industry. But I'm not into rape. It's a very sketchy ordeal that is full of numbers that are from algorithms that were calculated by greed. There have been very large 6 figure lawsuits done against this company for not paying their employees what they were supposed to. And I'm sure more to come followed by unethical labor law violations. Beware.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees and restructure the god awful greedy rape fests at the expense of your employees. Gain some morals and invest into some new lawyers. Don't con your employees with false realities. Your employees aren't always as expendable as you think. Don't throw away your all star employees for some dirty meth heads that can't even pass a drug test. :/

3. "Tech's beware"

Former Employee - Technician in West Monroe, LA
    Former Employee - Technician in West Monroe, LA

Pros

No one constantly looking over your shoulder, they offer SOME benefits

Cons

be prepared to constantly be working in the rain constantly carrying your 80 pound ladder and climbing poles that are very hard to get to with one person; one day off a week after you work weeks straight when you start; must pass all levels on X-1 equipment and modems while doing multiple jobs in all two hour time frames; they grade you on your work and place the bar so high it's hard for the most advanced tech to pass on a weekly basis; they say they are safety 1st but place you in such a hurry safety is actually last; if levels don't pass correct scores, you must go back that day to the residence that failed, and if not the same day, they make you go back the next day while doing a new route; customers are constantly calling you on your personal phone that YOU provide the company with and most always gets broken, so be prepared to buy multiple phones; they have a supervisor who does QC's, if he fails you on a QC the company charges you back money off your check; you provide the company with a vehicle, but when your vehicle breaks down or has problems, they don't give you ample amount of time to get it fixed and act like you owe them that vehicle and practically force you to drive around with problems until you have money to get it fixed; they constantly add jobs to your route throughout the day right when you think your about to be finished for the day; no overtime at time and a half rate; if they deem you've been at a location too long, they sometimes subtract hours from what overtime they do pay, which is at piece rate; no sick days and its frowned upon to ask for days off; make sure if you work here to have a vehicle in fairly new condition, the head guy told one tech that his truck was an eye sore thus forcing him to buy a newer vehicle if he wanted to continue to be employed there. They have FOUR main techs here, they intend to keep these same four techs making sure they are taken care of, and the rest they use for grunt work; when they work you to death and use everything they can get off you, they get rid of you. NO ROOM FOR ADVANCEMENT and the supervisors will make sure of that.

Advice to Management

get new supervisors because when I worked there I was told that we don't involve the owner with daily work problems whether large or small, meaning if you told on them they would make sure your employment there was short.

4. "Bury crew"

Former Employee - Crew Chief in West Monroe, LA
    Former Employee - Crew Chief in West Monroe, LA

I worked at Pooles Cable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced and no one over you all day telling you what to do !!I an being in control of your daily duties!

Cons

Not so great pay an when you decide to take a look for a new an better job you want get any time off to even go for your interview or even get the day off to take care of personal matters

Advice to Management

I didn't quit I was left on the job!!

5. "its been awesome and easy"

Current Employee - Tech in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Tech in Shreveport, LA

Pros

easy work schedule friendly people.

Cons

1 day off a week

Advice to Management

more money please

6. "Ehh.."

Pros

Awesome team. We became a family.

Cons

You don't get recognition for work. You are promised pay raises that never come.

Advice to Management

You started out as nothing and you can be brought back to nothing.