Prince Telecom Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jon Kuhn

Pros
  • Fairly relaxed work environment here (in 5 reviews)

• working days meeting new people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, no appreciation, bad politics and low pay (in 13 reviews)

• 00 & drive cam will get you fired (in 7 reviews)

1. "Former Corporate Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Castle, DE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Castle, DE

I worked at Prince Telecom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in the corporate office several years ago. Overall, I had a good experience with everyone in corporate and the folks I met in the field. Great place for an entry level person to learn their field, gain experience for their resume, but not a place to call home.

Cons

Due to a small corporate location there was not too much opportunity to grow. Most of the corporate location has been with the company for a while and does not look to be leaving anytime soon.

Advice to Management

Have faith in you team. When an error occurs and it's brought to your attention by someone in the field do not immediately blame your team for the error. In my case, every single time you blamed us we were able to prove to you that the error did come from us. Perhaps hire a consultant to come in and evaluate corporate and the fields to help identify ways to improve. I wanted to write this review because I consistently receive notifications of new reviews coming in and they're always bad. Overall, I do not regret the time that I spent with Prince Telecom it has helped get me where I am today. Continue to encourage and challenge your employees so they do not get complacent. Give back to your employees, not just during the holidays. Perhaps seniority awards, employee of month/year or even little things just showing that you appreciate them.

2. "The job requires physical fitness."

Former Employee - Cable Installation Technician in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Cable Installation Technician in Seattle, WA

I worked at Prince Telecom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They give you free truck to take home after work....that's the only thing I like about this company....that's it. You

Cons

I was hoping to make money, but I didn't get as I expected. The job is very hard physically and mentally!!!'

Advice to Management

I used like the job (meeting new people) then they fire the good guy (supervisor), I started getting bad routes.

3. "Cable Installer"

Former Employee - Cable Technician in Sumner, WA

I worked at Prince Telecom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is great when it's continously coming in and busy

Cons

The pay is bad if every house you go to is a cancel or not hime

Advice to Management

Quit blaming the workers for all the problems in management

5. "Do not work here!!"

Former Employee - Installation Technician in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Installation Technician in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Prince Telecom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Weekly paychecks.... That is the only positive thing about this company. I'm only writing more because there's a twenty word minimum.

Cons

The management is not there to support the employees. They're only there to crack the whip. If need help expect to be insulted, and told your the only one in the area. Any phone call to any supervisor is just going to make any bad situation worse.

They rip you off on every aspect of your paycheck. You'll work 60 hours a week and your check will say you've worked 42. If you do extra work, like installing outlets, they'll take away the codes. Then tell you it's because it wasn't noted on the work order. You'll only get reimbursed about 1/3 of the gas you put into the company truck.

This company is a joke. Don't work here. It won't do anything but hurt you.

Advice to Management

Support the employees. Stop acting like every employee that calls for hello is just trying to get out of work. Start paying employees fairly. The sneaky stuff needs to stop.

6. "Cable installer"

Current Employee - Installer in Kannapolis, NC
    Current Employee - Installer in Kannapolis, NC

I have been working at Prince Telecom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment. Company will provide meters and some tools. Get to take truck home after training session.

Cons

For the Charlotte location, you will be reimburse very little for gas mileage. You have to pay for your own gas. Management communication is horrible. Dispatched jobs are longer than 10 minutes apart. Buy your own tools to be successful. Work 6 days a week without a certain day off.

Advice to Management

Run the warehouse and your team better. Provide gas cards from the supplier to keep your employees. Learn to actually fire someone for not pulling their weight when it comes to metrics.

7. "Worst company ever"

Current Employee - Residential/Commercial Technician in Carrollton, GA
    Current Employee - Residential/Commercial Technician in Carrollton, GA

I have been working at Prince Telecom full-time

Pros

I cant think of any pros from this company

Cons

The pay is wayyyyy to low for the job you do. I'll leave as soon as I find something else.

8. "Cable technician"

Former Employee - IT Technician in Carrollton, GA
    Former Employee - IT Technician in Carrollton, GA

I worked at Prince Telecom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having a company vehicle and company phone.

Cons

The dispatchers take your work without even being near a time frame. Also charter doesn't pay much for installs and Prince doesn't make it any better because they nickel and dime you if it's a reconnect or tripple play.

Advice to Management

Let techs get work and don't over crowd the techs so work is scarce.

9. "Cable Technician"

Current Employee - Charter Cable Contractor in Fairburn, GA
    Current Employee - Charter Cable Contractor in Fairburn, GA

I have been working at Prince Telecom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New in the state of Georgia

Cons

Slow work. Management stretched out thin.

Advice to Management

Hire more supervisors and lead technicians to redistribute workload.

10. "Terrible! employee beware!"

Former Employee - Cable Technician in Sumner, WA

Pros

The only good thing that I can say about working at the sumner price telecom is that you get to work by yourself most of the time.

Cons

Pay is awful. It's based on "piece rate" which means you get paid per job you do. Plus you have to pay for all your own gas. They say they reimburse you, but they don't. I busted my butt every day running as fast as I could, picked up as many jobs as I could and still made minimum wage. Every day I was routed in Seattle which is an hour and a half drive home every day to federal way. At the end of the day I only made about 7 dollars an hour accounting for gas.
    There were parts on my truck that were broke which prevented me from doing my job efficiently. And the managers didn't do anything. (I brought it up to them every day for 3 months)
    They make you work a minimum of 50 hours a week (5 ten hour days) and most weeks they make you work 6 days.
    So if you want to bust your butt 6 days a week, for no pay, prince telecom is the right job for you!

Advice to Management

My advice to management is simple.
    1. Pay your employees more than minimum wage
    2. Stop spending most of the day playing games on your phone and help your employees.

"Company Has Potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ

I worked at Prince Telecom (More than a year)

Pros

-Plenty of work for those who don't want to be sitting around all day.

-Company vehicle with gas card was as plus.

-Able to learn about the Cable industry (i.e. CATV, Data, and Voice, Security).

-Paid classroom training as well as OJT field training to help you.

-Able to manage your own day without someone following you around.

-Company gives you basic tools for cabling until you build upon what you need.

-You could potentially make more $$$ than the actual Cable Industry companies because you are paid piece rates.

-Most of the folks working there were alright.

Cons

-The pay does not equal the time worked. You work long (12+) hours five sometimes 6 days a week, which is dangerous in itself.

-You're constantly moving. Many times you are given appointments (more than 2 or 3) in the same time frame.

-There is no assessment of appointments. You never know what you get when going into an appointment because there is not enough info on situations. This in turn causes delays in other appointments which causes you to potentially stay out even later.

No support when you do get stuck out too late. There were times I would be stuck out on my own at like 10-11 PM which is unreal because the situations you get in are terrible and they say you aren't done until the job is done.

The metrics they use to determine what tech level you are at. Any little thing can throw it off and put you in a lower level.

Many non-productive meetings. Most of the time you would hear that you're not doing enough and need to do more. Most people get burned out from all that and quit.

Not enough advancement opportunity. Every job has their "inner circle" of friends who promote friends, but this company just hasn't anywhere for you to go period.

Advice to Management

-Start hiring people for assessments of jobs. Just people that will see what jobs will take longer than others.

-Have a cutoff that helps those out there not stay out so late. That is very unsafe and can potentially get someone seriously hurt or worse.

-Give incentives to technicians that will help them not feel like they're doing so much for so little.

-Help technicians not to burn out so quickly.