Quigley-Simpson Reviews | Glassdoor

Leadership Committee
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"On the rise! Up & up!"

I have been working at Quigley-Simpson full-time

Pros

A well balanced agency who are always looking to invest in hard working, passionate and bright individuals. The atmosphere is stable due to the savvy investments made by the owners and CFO. Great clients! Great people!

Cons

Projects came come down last minute similar to all ad agencies. Be prepared to move on a dime. If you step up, you'll be recognized and rewarded.

"A tale of two Quigley's"

I worked at Quigley-Simpson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fairly generous time off compared to other agencies.

Cons

QS is a textbook example of what mature agencies are like once management is retrenched and when once good ideas are now stale and outdated.

Casino dome cameras are everywhere, and I'm sure the phone lines are likely bugged as well. So much for privacy.

The internet is blocked to any site beside extremely basic informational sites. So everybody uses their phones instead, slowing productivity much more as a result.

The monthly meeting trumpeting new business pitches and creative pitches/campaigns were awful. It's clear which side of the agency is favored, they hog 75% of the meeting, while ignoring the part of the agency paying the bills. It's a bit insulting. Bragging about a bunch of new biz meetings that rarely yield anything, is not a good message to trot out in front of your staff month after month.

Incompetency and sycophants are rewarded with pay and promotions to levels not suited for their skillset. It's no wonder why a lot of the larger clients decide to leave. The lack of managerial talent and their ego's within each department is an albatross around the company's neck. We had managers that couldn't do simple things like enter a media buy in the system(something an entry level employee can do), some of the most vanilla and boring creative work completely imagination, and dreadful marketing except services to a certain celebrity... enjoy the TMZ calls.

We had an several mid and senior level staff that tried to steal our entire media history and rates of the agency to take to a new agency. While the plot was caught by a very savvy person in the media department, but who know how much damage was ultimately done, it wasn't clear.

So how do they repay the savvy individual that stopped this plot in it's tracks? Higher level department staff who came in from outside the agency called him rude, cold, and not a team player. Then essentially forced him out of the company by icing him out. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

If you are surprised by their lack of gratitude or the fact that none of the problems left by the thieving employees were never addressed you clearly haven't been paying attention.

Don't even get me started on the huge narcissist in Client Services that once claimed "I am P&G." LMAO! Blowhard much? I can't believe they actually let him represent our company to potential clients? Shame on you!

I'd rather be dropped in a California wildfire or a venomous viper pit, than have to talk or deal with any aspect of HR at QS.

The funniest/saddest thing about Quigley-Simpson is all this occurred( and continues to occur) despite hours of "management training" the owners are paying consultants to "fix" the agencies problems. Perhaps you should seek out a second opinion? News flash, it's not working!

The turnover numbers don't lie! Quigley-Simpson has literally hired/fired/laid off the whole company in total headcount multiple times during my tenure. With roughly 100 people at this agency it's quite a dubious honor to have. I've seen 5 people walk off the job within a week of being hired. I worked at the agency for more than 5 years and had no idea who half the people were and what they did by the time I left. And if you are unlucky enough to have a departure in your department (and you will) good luck with the increased workload you will receive. It was not uncommon to have people doing the work of two or three people, because god forbid the managers stop taking one and a half - two hour lunches.

How is the C-suite not seeing the problem here?!

Advice to Management

Find competent management consulting firms to completely retool or at the very least get a second opinion(all that money spent on the current advice has been wasted) and consider a full management shakeup in the media department and account services department. Get rid of the deadweight people you consider friends they are a liability and an embarrassment to your agency.

3. "Great new clients added to the roster, exciting internal changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Quigley-Simpson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Quigley has added some great, new clients to the roster and are making big strides with social media and company culture. New talent and diverse creative assignments have really contributed to an overall excitement at the agency. Employees across different departments have really come together to promote a fun and engaging atmosphere around the office. The owner's doors are always open and they welcome feedback and suggestions on how to improve.

Cons

This is more of a building management problem, but dogs are not allowed in the building.

Advice to Management

I think the agency would really benefit by conducting leadership training seminars and put an increased focus on promoting from within.

"Great First Agency Experience"

Pros

- Great location
    - Nice people
    - Company is small so you get to wear a lot of different hats
    - Great work/life balance
    - Great opportunity to learn
    - Culture is great
    - Hours aren't too bad (unless you have the occasional huge project which needs to be done but it's always manageable)

Cons

- Pay is low
    - You have to pay monthly to park in the structure or if you don't want to pay, you can do street parking which is almost impossible
    - Management is not great at communication
    - The office space itself is very old school - everyone is in cubicles and doesn't give off the vibe of an ad agency
    - Could use more upward mobility
    - A new CEO was hired last year and the company was making positive changes, however, since they are no longer with the company, I'm not sure which direction I see the company going

Advice to Management

When hiring upper level employees, take into account the way they manage down. A lot of my issue at Quigley-Simpson was that my manager rebuked me for making learning mistakes. If I would have had more freedom to learn from my mistakes without being reprimanded every time, I would have spent more time taking initiative and making things happen rather than worrying about the repercussions from making a small mistake every time I took action. Thankfully I'm off that account so I don't need to worry about that anymore, but it is a good example of how important it is for upper level employees to manage down more effectively.

"Media Department is going down a slippery slope."

Current Employee - Media Department Staff in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Media Department Staff in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Quigley-Simpson (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pros of working here is that you get monthly massages and have the opportunity to meet great, smart, and talented individuals.

Cons

Media Department has no leaders. I have seen so much turn over in the last two quarters. Newly hired people come in and turn right around. Upper management, do not have any leadership skills. They know what the issues are in the department, yet do nothing to fix it. They are letting valuable staff members go for political reasons and is truly unfair. QS was once a good place to work at until, they moved all the Supervisors into one office, and the "old" Supervisors became directors of the media department. However, out of the 3 directors, 1 of them actually is worthy of the title. I am still here, doing all I can do, until my day comes...

Advice to Management

Take the time and get to know the people in the cubicles. Stop taking one side of the story. There are so many talented and smart coordinators who want to grow in this agency and advertising world. BUT, you do not know/care because you just look out for yourself.

"Media Coordinator"

Pros

My peers were also miserable so it was relatively easy to make friends

Cons

No proper training for entry level employees. If you sank, you were fired. If you swam, you were holding on for dear life

Quigley-Simpson Response

Aug 9, 2016 – HR Manager

We appreciate it when both current and former employees give us constructive feedback – whether it’s easy to hear or not – and this is one of the many ways we learn and grow. With that being said, we... More

"Great Place to Work..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Quigley-Simpson (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot about Quigley-Simpson that is great. Culture and values are unique, and the company really is one of the most diversified that I have ever worked for. Teamwork is particularly good and collegial in the digital dept. and that is true too of the creative team and evolving under new and strong leadership in the media dept.

There are also strategic capabilities and innovative thinking and that has been instrumental in winning new business, and long-term retention of big name clients. Some clients have been around for ten years or more, which is amazing given the volatility of the advertising world.

With new senior management, there is a deliberate attempt to be inclusive and keep communication doors open.

Cons

If you enter the company at a middle manager or senior manager level, it seems easier to fit in. Entry level is harder unless you have good mentor.

Quigley-Simpson Response

Dec 7, 2015 – HR Manager

Thank you for your positive feedback. Your advice about how to help nurture entry level candidates is wise and will definitely be part of our on-boarding going forward!

"The times they are a changin"

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Quigley-Simpson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, good instruction from managers for entry-level employees, office in busy but centralized location, great restaurants nearby office, opportunities for Jr position to shadow Sr and contribute to bigger projects

Cons

New CEO and changes in upper management shows some promise and direction, but it'll take months to see whether the company is moving in a positive direction. However, visibility across the agency is improving.

Advice to Management

Provide more frequent updates outside of the monthly company-wide meeting as big account acquisitions or updates are happening.

"Not a good place if you are looking for a progressive agency"

Pros

Some nice people and not a bad location.

Cons

Everyone falls into two camps; lifers or people looking to get out of there. QS needs to figure out what their brand story is before they can do a good job doing it for clients. The office is visually very dated and not a creative atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Come out of your offices so you can see what is working and not working. Please lose the feng shui decorating; it's not professional.

"Very Positive Changes in the Media Department"

Pros

Bottlenecks have been removed. A broader democratic process now exists.

Good dialogue and discussion after media department staff changes.

New collaborative ethic with a warm, working team spirit and open communication.

Senior management has been very compassionate and supportive through the recent transition.

Cons

Workload has been heavy. But understandable under the circumstances.