RES Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 98 reviews

3.7
RES CEO Ivor Catto
Ivor Catto
Pros
  • "Good benefits bonus and pension scheme(in 7 reviews)

• "A lot of great people who are giving a lot to try and have the company succeed(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "A shrinking company that provides little in the way of career progression(in 4 reviews)

• "Upper management has been ruining a once vibrant and creative culture(in 4 reviews)

1. "health and safety"

Current Employee - Health and Safety Coordinator in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at RES full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great company, people and management on projects

Cons

PTO time sucks really bad unless you have been here 10 years

Advice to Management

work on PTO, life and disability insurance coverages

RES2019-07-21

"Terrible company culture"

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at RES full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the people were great to work with. The pay was okay, but really not enough when considering the amount of hours you were expected to work.

Cons

Too many hours, 12 to 14 hours a day 5 to 6 days a week got old really fast. Upper management also lets certain people get away with just about anything, including what would be considered verbal abuse and creating a hostile working environment. When abuse is reported to HR, HR either ignores it, or tells the person who the report was made against who it was that filed the complaint against them. The company... promotes a culture of bad behavior by not doing anything about it. And worse, they promote these people into higher positions, giving them even more power to abuse others.

Advice to Management

Stop allowing the bad behavior to thrive in the field.

RES2019-08-20
  3. "Project Engineer"

I have been working at RES

Pros

There are no pros really to working here

Cons

This company does not care about your health and will not honor work restrictions provided by your doctor.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees

RES2019-09-10
  4. "Great People, Great Cause"

Current Employee - IT Applications Analyst in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at RES full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Everyone is Intelligent here and a lot of people come from other large organizations, fortune 100, Big 5 accounting etc. -Nice office, great location -Many employees are able to work from home (I work from home once a week) -Working towards a better cause -International company, Privately-Owned and there is a profit-share bonus structure (up to 20%)

Cons

There is a little craziness from time to time. Especially during peak construction season. But there are also many efforts towards streamlining processes.

Advice to Management

Continue working towards our global approach - doing a great job so far

RES2019-07-03
  5. "What it's like to work for RES..."

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at RES full-time for less than a year

Pros

RES is a great company. They have a good way of making you feel like you're helping to create a better future for our world, mostly because you are! In my experience, RES has been a fantastic place to work. They're good at making sure you feel like what you do matters, which can be hard when working for a big company. There's always room to grow here at RES. Opportunities for your career are... everywhere! The benefits and compensations provided are so incredible. Unlike any other company that I've worked for. The RES Culture and Values are something they pride themselves on, and they should! Safety is a HUGE part of our culture, and it's something that RES is passionate about. Our motto is "Home Safe - Every Day" which means we're determined to make sure each of our employees goes home in the same condition that they came to work in.

Cons

There will always be something a company can improve on! We are in the process of beginning our THRIVE meetings to check in on our departments and see what areas our company can improve on. If we weren't having these type of meetings I might have a "Con", but we are! So, as of now, I've nothing to really add...yet!

RES2019-07-01

"Poor work-life balance, Poor company structure at the management level."

Former Employee - Field Engineer

I worked at RES full-time for more than a year

Pros

Exposure to a variety of construction and project management skills. Pay and benefits are good. Can make numerous helpful connections with other clients,subcontractors, and other employees.

Cons

Awful Work-life balance: Takes advantage of salaried employees (70 - 80 hr work weeks). Lack of self accountability in management - easy for supervisors/coworkers to scapegoat or take credit for someone else's work. Easy for an individuals good performance to go unnoticed. Unqualified employees in management. Poor management structure and employee performance review process. Harmful "Bro-Life" culture.... Friendly/hard working employees WILL be taken advantage of and receive a heavier work load than others. I do not recommend taking this position at RES if you have a 4 year engineering degree and expecting an intellectually stimulating, technical job.

RES2019-07-08
  7. "Love working in renewables and with RES!"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at RES full-time for more than a year

Pros

RES has a highly engaging work environment and a talented team of fun, smart, committed employees.

Cons

We're racing against the clock to combat the negative effects of climate change.

Advice to Management

Continue the great work being done to engage, motivate and inspire us all to be our best! Together, we are leading the way towards a future where everyone has access to affordable zero carbon energy!

RES2019-06-23

"Great potential with current challenges"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at RES full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A lot of great people who are giving a lot to try and have the company succeed. Some departments allow a lot of employee led innovation for company improvement. Great opportunity to learn a lot if you're willing to commit to the company (long hours, limited notice for travel, etc.).

Cons

The Americas portion of the company is facing internal challenges to determine where they want their future - development, construction, both. Departments are very siloed. Company expects people to be fully committed to the company at all times (I often heard the term "work-work balance"). While trying to determine the future path of the company, there was a lot of change without time to assess if it was working.... Change was near constant, leading to change fatigue in many employees.

Advice to Management

In the Americas, return to your past focus on the people. They are your strength. Give your employees a focused goal to help drive effective and health change with everyone working together towards a common goal. Try to reduce the sense of fear that can settle in with lots of unfocused changes.

RES2019-06-20
  9. "More Cons than Pros"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Broomfield, CO

I worked at RES full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Some departments allow flexible schedules / working from home - Decent / average benefits - Working for a renewable energy company

Cons

- Poorly managed - No opportunity for advancement - No clear direction/strategy - Little diversity - Poor performance in Americas division means promised bonuses are lacking

Advice to Management

- Take ownership - Engage employees

RES2019-07-10

"Declining company that has lost focus on its employees"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Broomfield, CO

I worked at RES full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I worked at RES for many years, the majority of which were very positive both for personal and professional growth. I developed many strong friendships and learned a wide array of skills that have helped me immensely in becoming a team manager at my current job. I thank RES for those years and mourn the decline of this once great company, which has been decimated by the current incompetent and disengaged... leadership.

Cons

Senior management at RES has declined significantly since the leadership shake up in 2016. The family-ownership feel changed and employees became less valued and listened to. Solid management was dismissed (or left out of frustration) and cronies were brought in, one in particular who is an openly abusive, degrading, and incompetent jerk was consistently promoted up to his current position of Senior Vice... President, in spite of numerous employee complaints and overall unprofessional behavior. This promotion alone is a great indicator of RES's decline and the detached nature of their new leadership and disinterest in its employees.

Advice to Management

Senior management doesn't listen to advice and routinely makes poor decisions that damage the company's reputation (promotion of current SVP in particular) among both clients and employees. There is no point in providing advice to management who has repeatedly demonstrated that they have no interest in it. For this reason, RES will continue to struggle and decline until the senior management cesspool is drained... and those people are dismissed. RES's chickens have come home to roost, and current management is powerless to stop it because they don't even seem to recognize that it's happening.

RES2019-05-02