RF Binder Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Amy Binder

Pros
  • Happy employees, lots of perks (free breakfast, happy hours for employees, espresso machine, in office free massages and more) (in 8 reviews)

• Can't think of a single thing other than bagel Fridays (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is out of touch and too top-heavy (in 7 reviews)

• shot gun blasts any new business pitches, and does a bad job on all of them (in 5 reviews)

1. "A Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at RF Binder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement, early exposure to key accounts, collegiality

Cons

Garden-variety pettiness, micromanagement, big ideas often lead nowhere

Advice to Management

Unify the experience across teams -- getting on the right team can be an incredible benefit to your career, but it is too easy for young associates to get trapped on the wrong accounts.

2. "Love It! Great place to work!"

I have been working at RF Binder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Happy employees, lots of perks (free breakfast, happy hours for employees, espresso machine, in office free massages and more). A "hands on" senior leadership team. I love coming into the office everyday to the amazing creative people I work with. It is a very positive environment with lots of smiling people! The campaigns that the creative teams put together are fantastic and the work/life balance is wonderful. I am very proud to be a part of RF Binder.

Cons

The amount of delicious food in the office makes it tough to stay thin!!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

3. "Substance is On The Menu"

Current Employee - Managing Director in Methuen, MA
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Methuen, MA

I have been working at RF Binder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We all want to find a dream job that’s enjoyable and meaningful, but what does that actually mean? For me, it's doing work I'm good at. Most importantly, focusing on getting good at something that helps make a difference. This is work that draws me in, holds my attention, and gives me a sense of purpose. I also thrive in work that helps others. I need work that is meaningful as well as engaging. And most of all, a job with supportive colleagues. After all, good relationships are such an important part of having a fulfilling work life. This is what I get at RF|Binder. The culture is one of substance, meaning, collaboration and challenging the status quo. If you are into stupid PR agency tricks - bossing people around vs loving being deep into the work/client issues, having your ego stroked vs authentic caring for your contribution to the firm, handholding vs an entrepreneurial spirit - this isn't the agency for you. These tangibles and intangibles start at the top. Some share it. Many don't. Those that do, have fruitful careers at RF|Binder.

Cons

0-60mph in change - 45mph now, inching closer. Quick-fire creativity and the ability to adapt to new situations quickly is critical. Feels like the agency is getting closer.

Advice to Management

Hire slow. Fire fast.

"Unprepared for digital, too much favoritism"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at RF Binder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The NYC office is nice and there are some smart, kind people working here, making socializing fun.

Cons

The agency likes to tout that it's creative and digitally savvy, when it is clearly not. They claim they spun off from RF to focus on digital but actually the digital team is only a few years old and has had to fight tooth and nail for any recognition within the agency. It is all about very traditional media relations here yet they wonder why they keep losing new business pitches. A few senior execs that are close to the CEO (and frankly out of touch) get to make all the decisions, including micromanaging all levels below. Despite this micromanagement, only those who are "favorites" get any recognition. Looking busy and staying late get you big points in favoritism, regardless of the quality of your work.

Advice to Management

Evaluate employees fairly and give fair salaries and bonuses. Morale is SO LOW.

6. "Positive Internship Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

RF Binder offered me a great work environment and an opportunity to get experience in PR and financial services. The team I worked on was extremely helpful and well managed!

Cons

I was not given a lot of responsibilities and did mostly simple work that didn't challenge myself.

"Good Company to work for"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Setauket, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Setauket, NY

I have been working at RF Binder (More than 10 years)

Pros

Small company - family like atmosphere

Cons

There are no cons to enter

Advice to Management

None

"Great place to work, great people"

I have been working at RF Binder full-time

Pros

RF|Binder has evolved in the past few years, and one thing always remains the same -- the people are smart, hard working, and care about each other. In the PR industry where there is a lot of competition and driven people, RF|B has been able to keep a friendly, inclusive environment. As a mid-size company, employees have the opportunity to make suggestions directly to the executive team, grow their career and get as much responsibility as they want. Yes, we work hard and there are some late hours, but you're rarely working alone. And if you get your work done, you leave.

Process and employee education has always been around, but the company is really amping this up and making formal programs. They promoted from within a new Senior Director of Talent Development, and she is doing a great job helping to streamline everything so I think these things will only get better.

I have been at RF|B for many years, and have loved my experience, my clients and my colleagues. This is a great place to work and I am very happy.

Cons

Clients are over-serviced, but it seems to be standard across the PR industry

Advice to Management

Keep paying attention to the development of the junior staff so they have opportunities to grow within the company.

"Lots of Positive Changes in Recent Months"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at RF Binder (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined RF|Binder during an interesting time. Many senior leaders had left the agency to move on to different opportunities, not because they didn’t enjoy their jobs, but because they had been here for a long time and it was time to move on. Since then, RF|Binder made some hires who also didn’t work out for culture fit reasons, but right now the agency is heading in a really good direction.
    They’ve re-structured their HR department to include one person who can focus on recruitment, and a second person to run training, engagement and overall culture. They are re-working their performance review process and the CEO has made some strides toward implementing more flexibility.

From where I sit, it seems like employees have voiced their concerns and the CEO and the senior leaders are listening. I’ve read some of the reviews and many people seem to point out favoritism. The reality is, favoritism is inevitable no matter where you work. If you do a good job and if you work hard, naturally you will emerge as a favorite. I think the reward for favoritism is more work

I think the hours are to be expected, but some people work longer hours not because their clients are demanding, but because they may not be as efficient or as quick as others when completing tasks.

Cons

Need more push back on clients.

Advice to Management

continue to communicate policies and changes across the agency.

"Hard But Rewarding Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at RF Binder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The agency has some great clients and the work can be very rewarding. Hard work and long hours are expected every day, but this can lead to a collaborative work environment since you need to work with your team to keep the ball rolling. The CEO is also in the office every day and working just as late, which is not always the case in other firms. After the hard work is done, happy hours, office parties, and other office activities help with getting to know others that aren’t on your team.

Cons

Although the work is rewarding, there is a heavy work load resulting in long hours.

Advice to Management

Consider pooling PTO days rather than distinguishing between vacation, sick and personal days. Also consider allowing some flexible time to work outside of the office – results should be more important than face time.

"Serious Changes Needed - Never Going To Happen"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at RF Binder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are more than a few good people that work here. Bagel Friday's are nice, but many agencies have this. Social activities are fun, but they usually make you jump through hoops or do something before they have one. Place has changed drastically since first started, especially in the past 2 years. CEO says at meetings she wants to change agency for better, but nothing ever changes.

Cons

CEO favors a few people and the rest are disposable. Doesn't even realize her own assistant practically has one foot out the door (shame the assistant is one of the good ones who would actually be worth keeping). Rules are not across the board and the HR department is non-existent. If you have an issue good luck because there is no confidentiality whatsoever when it comes to employees. CFO is a bully who likes to be involved in every aspect of the business whether it is appropriate or not. Salaries are not terrible to start, but increases are pitiful and you are made to feel as if they are doing you a favor by actually giving you an increase that is insultingly low. No work life balance at all unless you are one of the "favored" ones, even then it is minimal. And if you are not one of the favored ones it doesn't matter how much you work, it is only when you aren't there that they notice. They make you feel guilty when you take your vacation. Extremely high turnover!!

Advice to Management

Start enforcing rules across the board, not just to some people while others get away with whatever they want. Put together a real HR department so that employees are comfortable bringing any issues they have to someone in the agency without worrying it will be spread all over. Gossip runs rampant at this agency, especially among the senior staff, just because you pretend it isn't happening doesn't make it so. Make everyone feel appreciated, not just the same people over and over, especially when everyone is working just as hard.