RRM Design Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.6
Erik P. Justesen, ASLA, LEED AP

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "The Joy of a career!"

Current Employee - Principal in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Principal in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at RRM Design Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Since before I started working at RRM, the firm was known for its exceptional work and exciting work environment. Now having been with the firm for many years, it is truly extended family. The culture is friendly, safe, fun and driven by a desire for excellence in making a difference in the world around us. I have been able to grow in my profession and utilize my particular skill set and style in being a contributor to the firm's success. There is so much opportunity for professional and personal growth. As much as the work can be demanding, the family culture of RRM makes the integration of family and work more natural and promotes the balance of family/work demands. I couldn't be more thankful to have become a part of this great company

Cons

The downside of work at RRM has to be the "feast or famine" aspect of our industry which can be challenging. However, for the reasons outlined above, if I am going to be in this industry, I would prefer to be part of a firm like RRM

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Great people and great company"

I have been working at RRM Design Group full-time

Pros

Team work, great benefit and wonderful people

Cons

Not applicable since this is a great company to work

Advice to Management

Keep up great work and employee relation

3. "Principal"

I have been working at RRM Design Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, great projects. RRM values it's people - it's a truly collaborative work environment that is creative and fun. And the work is very diverse, which makes each day interesting and challenging.

Cons

Because we are on the Central Coast, it's often a long drive to get to projects.

4. "Great place to work and grow"

Current Employee - Manager in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at RRM Design Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company culture, coworkers, work experiences, ability to grow in my career. Transitioning to employee owned (ESOP).

Cons

none that I have encountered.

Advice to Management

Stay as transparent as possible and continue to lead by example for what RRM should be.

5. "Great office environment"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at RRM Design Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great variety of project types and services with a collaborative environment between planners, engineers and architects.
    Room to move up with mentor and leadership programs.
    Good firm size, work life balance, knowledgeable staff, nice coworkers and working atmosphere, community involvement, and good benefits.

Cons

The only things, that are really more about the profession than this office, are deadlines and budgets can be tight so work can be really busy and then tapper off and back again.

Advice to Management

I really appreciate the thoughtfulness with employee retention efforts that make this a great place to work.

6. "Smoke and Mirrors"

I have been working at RRM Design Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Majority of people are passionate about their careers and the offices located throughout California are in good locations. Benefits are above average for industry standard.

Cons

Management will often only check in with you to tell you that the project is over budget instead of checking the design or addressing the needs of the client. Designs and plans can be rushed due to management wanting to make a bigger profit, leading to lower quality work. Often clients are told that highly experienced employees will work on the project, when in reality it is usually designers with minimal experience to save money.

Advice to Management

Instead of managing from the sidelines, become an active leader in projects. This can result in happier clients and higher quality projects.

7. "Family Firm"

I have been working at RRM Design Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diverse project types, stable company. Positive workplace and family oriented values. Strong benefits for individuals. Many great attributes which come from a multi-disciplinary firm. Self motivated individuals are free to pursue their passions at their own will. Virtual office capabilities.

Cons

Performance metrics and direct correlation to compensation/promotions are a bit ambiguous. Salary ranges are not competitive with the overall California market which RRM operates in.

Advice to Management

Enforce and incentivize performance expectations for all employees up and down the roster. Reward innovation, profitability and business development in more tangible ways. Walk the 'trenches' more often.

8. "Job Captain"

Former Employee - Job Captain in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Job Captain in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at RRM Design Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly mid-level staff who is always willing to help one another. Very strong HR team. Live-work balance.

Cons

Lack of design opportunities. Very tight budgets and local design guidelines makes for very rigid design processes that leaves out all but a couple designers. California is not a great place to be an Architect given the regulatory burden, design boards, cost of living and general, business unfriendliness.

Advice to Management

Weave in younger staff into the project's design.

9. "Great company!"

I worked at RRM Design Group part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great management team, awesome projects, cool people.

Cons

Great benefits - just average compensation

10. "RRM Design Group."

Former Employee - Design Director in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Design Director in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at RRM Design Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The job is stable, good benefits, creative job, I am able to be pretty autonomous. A lot of satisfying, socially beneficial work.

Cons

Too focused on management, rather than leadership. "Management is insuring progress
    up the ladder of success; leadership is making sure the ladder is leaning against the right wall". Stephen Covey,
    Seven Habits of Highly Successful People.

Advice to Management

Lighten up, aim to do good, doing well will be the natural result