RRM Design Group Reviews | Glassdoor

4.8
Erik P. Justesen, ASLA, LEED AP

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company!"

I worked at RRM Design Group part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great management team, awesome projects, cool people.

Cons

Great benefits - just average compensation

2. "RRM Design Group."

Former Employee - Design Director in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Design Director in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at RRM Design Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The job is stable, good benefits, creative job, I am able to be pretty autonomous. A lot of satisfying, socially beneficial work.

Cons

Too focused on management, rather than leadership. "Management is insuring progress
    up the ladder of success; leadership is making sure the ladder is leaning against the right wall". Stephen Covey,
    Seven Habits of Highly Successful People.

Advice to Management

Lighten up, aim to do good, doing well will be the natural result

3. "RRM is the greatest!"

Pros

Large Variety of Project Types, Social and Active Employees, Comfortable Work Setting, Learning Opportunities, Supportive and Organized Supervisors

Cons

Long Interview Process, Not as Competitive of Pay as Other Firms

Advice to Management

Adjust pay to growing demands of the local economy, especially based on location.

4. "Great Management, Great Support"

Pros

At RRM, the bar is set very high for work products, but you have all the tools you need to succeed. The firm is full of smart, talented, passionate people. It is exactly the kind of work environment I'd hoped for.

Cons

You have to be willing to live in more suburban communities--all the offices are not in big cities. This could be a con for some people.

5. "Great People - Great Support"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at RRM Design Group (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love the people and place, truly a collaborative environment. If you want to be a part of a team and family, this is the place. I had a goal and drive, and the firm has a great support structure and the opportunities to get me where I want to be. Leadership is accessible, and looking to build from within. Not focused around the ego of one, but built on the essence of collaboration.

Cons

Amount of Travel required once senior position is established. The phone hold music stinks :(

6. "I love coming to work everyday"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at RRM Design Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and welcoming. Its a pleasure to be around people who love what they do. The amount of community involvement and care this company has for us as well as others is inspiring.

Cons

It is so quiet around the office

7. "Great people, great projects, great company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at RRM Design Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people, the culture, and great projects = job satisfaction. RRM is really proactive in making it a place where employees come first. It is the polar opposite of the stereotypical sweatshop architecture firm. A 40-hour work week is a real thing!

Cons

In order to live in such a cool city as San Luis Obispo ("the happiest city in America"), you need to log some miles on the road traveling to projects.

"RRM--Empolyee Owned; A great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at RRM Design Group (More than 10 years)

Pros

super fun, energetic and collaborative atmosphere. With different professional disciplines, you get to work side by side with architects, engineers, landscape archs and planners. Its cool to live in San Luis Obispo or Santa Barbara or San Juan Cap and do work all over the state. Lots of freedom to pursue your career goals and passion.

Cons

Not sure how the ESOP "ownership" is going, apparently there is going to be a stock transaction this year. Its cool but kind of unknown so far. Although we did get statements last year for money that went in to the account.

Advice to Management

A lot of principals get around and engage with staff, but some are kind of holed up and off limits. If we are a team, everyone should be rowing the boat and involved the same.

9. "Fulfilling work with great people"

I have been working at RRM Design Group full-time

Pros

I love it here at RRM. Great atmosphere, fun people, and a healthy balance between work and play.

Cons

Pay isn't competitive with more metro areas of CA, but that's Central Coast for you.

10. "Solid firm, great working environment, perfect size"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at RRM Design Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working at RRM feels good. They hire professionals, treat them like adults, and expect them to perform accordingly. They are not a firm that breathes down your throat or micromanages you. I appreciate that they are a mid-sized firm, large enough to provide solid expertise and support their staff appropriately, small enough to not feel like a giant disconnected corporation. The firm's owners/shareholders are approachable leaders who are still very much involved in DOING work, most of whom having been with RRM for decades. They are refreshingly transparent about how decisions are made and the basic state of

Cons

This is not a high design firm; they do solid work that is often guided too heavily by client's priorities, wishes, and wallets. It sometimes feels like they are always trying to reinvent the wheel in administering many aspects of the firm, which sometimes distracts from just getting down to doing good work.

Advice to Management

Would be great to feel like the firm as a whole has more of a backbone in choosing and performing the type/quality of work we do. It seems like we could be more choosy on the front end, and take a stronger stance in the type and quality of work we produce with and for our clients. We should also stay on top of keeping our best people as happy as they can be, so they stay with us, become ambassadors of the firm, and continue to make RRM great.