RRM Design Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 15, 2019

Found 27 reviews

4.6
Erik P. Justesen, ASLA, LEED AP
  1. "Lots of opportunity to learn & grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at RRM Design Group for less than a year

Pros

Variety of projects. Thrown right into flow of projects. Coworkers are always super helpful in teaching me new skills.

Cons

Large office can sometimes feel impersonal

RRM Design Group2019-02-16
  2. "Great people and great company"

I have been working at RRM Design Group full-time

Pros

Team work, great benefit and wonderful people

Cons

Not applicable since this is a great company to work

Advice to Management

Keep up great work and employee relation

3. "Principal"

I have been working at RRM Design Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people, great projects. RRM values it's people - it's a truly collaborative work environment that is creative and fun. And the work is very diverse, which makes each day interesting and challenging.

Cons

Because we are on the Central Coast, it's often a long drive to get to projects.

RRM Design Group2018-08-29
  4. "Great place to work and grow"

Current Employee - Manager in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at RRM Design Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company culture, coworkers, work experiences, ability to grow in my career. Transitioning to employee owned (ESOP).

Cons

none that I have encountered.

Advice to Management

Stay as transparent as possible and continue to lead by example for what RRM should be.

RRM Design Group2018-08-29
  5. "Great office environment"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at RRM Design Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great variety of project types and services with a collaborative environment between planners, engineers and architects. Room to move up with mentor and leadership programs. Good firm size, work life balance, knowledgeable staff, nice coworkers and working atmosphere, community involvement, and good benefits.

Cons

The only things, that are really more about the profession than this office, are deadlines and budgets can be tight so work can be really busy and then tapper off and back again.

Advice to Management

I really appreciate the thoughtfulness with employee retention efforts that make this a great place to work.

RRM Design Group2018-08-29
  6. "The Joy of a career!"

Current Employee - Principal in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at RRM Design Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Since before I started working at RRM, the firm was known for its exceptional work and exciting work environment. Now having been with the firm for many years, it is truly extended family. The culture is friendly, safe, fun and driven by a desire for excellence in making a difference in the world around us. I have been able to grow in my profession and utilize my particular skill set and style in being a contributor to...

Cons

The downside of work at RRM has to be the "feast or famine" aspect of our industry which can be challenging. However, for the reasons outlined above, if I am going to be in this industry, I would prefer to be part of a firm like RRM

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

RRM Design Group2018-08-30
  7. "Smoke and Mirrors"

I have been working at RRM Design Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Majority of people are passionate about their careers and the offices located throughout California are in good locations. Benefits are above average for industry standard.

Cons

Management will often only check in with you to tell you that the project is over budget instead of checking the design or addressing the needs of the client. Designs and plans can be rushed due to management wanting to make a bigger profit, leading to lower quality work. Often clients are told that highly experienced employees will work on the project, when in reality it is usually designers with minimal experience to...

Advice to Management

Instead of managing from the sidelines, become an active leader in projects. This can result in happier clients and higher quality projects.

RRM Design Group2018-09-01

RRM Design Group Response

October 4, 2018

Hey, this is Erik and I was reading through the Glass Door reviews and read yours. I am interested in your comments which I take to heart and want to be sure we address areas of our collaboration, leadership or performance that is not as strong as it should be. I would really like ...

8. "Family Firm"

I have been working at RRM Design Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Diverse project types, stable company. Positive workplace and family oriented values. Strong benefits for individuals. Many great attributes which come from a multi-disciplinary firm. Self motivated individuals are free to pursue their passions at their own will. Virtual office capabilities.

Cons

Performance metrics and direct correlation to compensation/promotions are a bit ambiguous. Salary ranges are not competitive with the overall California market which RRM operates in.

Advice to Management

Enforce and incentivize performance expectations for all employees up and down the roster. Reward innovation, profitability and business development in more tangible ways. Walk the 'trenches' more often.

RRM Design Group2018-08-30
  9. "Job Captain"

Former Employee - Job Captain in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at RRM Design Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly mid-level staff who is always willing to help one another. Very strong HR team. Live-work balance.

Cons

Lack of design opportunities. Very tight budgets and local design guidelines makes for very rigid design processes that leaves out all but a couple designers. California is not a great place to be an Architect given the regulatory burden, design boards, cost of living and general, business unfriendliness.

Advice to Management

Weave in younger staff into the project's design.

RRM Design Group2018-06-15
  10. "Great company!"

I worked at RRM Design Group part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great management team, awesome projects, cool people.

Cons

Great benefits - just average compensation

RRM Design Group2018-01-31