RailComm Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Joe Denny

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"High performers, elite products"

I have been working at RailComm full-time

Pros

RailComm has made some significant changes over the last couple of years, for the better. Renewed focus on innovation, newest products are ahead of the curve. Great environment in the office and a competitive benefits package.

Cons

There are no downsides to working at RailComm.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Company is in trouble"

I have been working at RailComm full-time

Pros

Great health benefits, we can come and go as we please and we help eachother.

Cons

No direction, no idea where we are going. Customers are no longer a priority. CEO is absent and does not seem engaged, his attitude is hard to take since some of us work 24/7. Key people have jumped ship and many more are following including me.

Advice to Management

Start caring about customers again and give us a raise, it's been years.

"Manager"

I have been working at RailComm full-time

Pros

Innovative, fun, great people, RailComm is a great place to work. Taking the railroad industry into data analysts, through the internet of things and with clear site of Big Data.

Cons

RailComm has customers all over the world and mentally keeping up with the various levels of customer sophistication is a challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. The direction of the company is exciting, some days feel like we are going to only have to accelerate faster. The CEO below is Joe Forgione, Joe Denny left the company.

4. "Engineer"

I have been working at RailComm full-time

Pros

Great Place to Work at.

Cons

I am not sure what cons to enter.

Advice to Management

5. "Very nepotistic, even with some of the recent changes"

Pros

Good to learn the remote switching rail industry

Cons

Company favors family members over employees with no family members.

Advice to Management

Current President is working on making this company internal more fair by hiring non-family members.

"Not what it's hyped up to be."

Former Employee - Engineer in Fairport, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer in Fairport, NY

I worked at RailComm full-time

Pros

Very flexible when it comes to work schedule. If you have appointments they are more than willing to work with you. 100% company sponsored dental and vision is a plus. If in the right department then there is no micro management. Lower level of employees really care about each other. They will try to help you to succeed.

Cons

Company will tell you what you want to hear to bring you in. Then once in, their tune changes. There is absolutely no chance in career advancement. Changing someone job title by putting Director in front of it with the same pay is not advancement. There are multiple employees in the same position as they were 5 years ago. Very high retention and anual layoff periods. The only people that stay here longer than 5 years are family members. 20+% of staff are family or married to someone in the company. In the time I worked with the company there was 4 "restructuring" periods in a 12 month window; one of it proved successful. If one of your selling points is pizza lunches and bagel Fridays; then that speaks volumes. Job mentoring and training is non-existent.But there are plenty of railroad certifications that you will never use or noone on the railroad has ever heard of that you'll be forced to take.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees when they speak. Pull your own weight and not pawn your work off to someone else and then take credit for it. Reward your workers with more than more work.

"RailComm could be a great fit for you"

Pros

Really depends in what area you work in. People there care about you, you're not just a number. Good pay, good people, some very smart very hardworking people others that have no clue how to do basic things. Opportunity to travel.

Cons

They are not realistic with you in terms of how your career will advance. Some very inept managers. Long hours. Weak training. High turnover. Nerdy

Advice to Management

Some of them don't seem to do anything, while some are working 24/7.

"Company is in a tailspin"

I have been working at RailComm full-time

Pros

RailComm has good health benefits and a lax time-off policy that is convenient for those people that have frequent doctors appointments or have children.

RailComm also has a very young work force that makes the office environment fun and informal.

Cons

RailComm heavily underpays its workforce, both based on the skill of the employees they recruit and the heavy work commitment they are asked to take on (extra hours, weekends - if you're NOT working them, you're the lone man out). There is also no pay scale - it is possible for higher level managers to be earning less than entry-level developers, and some do.

RailComm has routinely laid off employees in the spring for the past four years. The lay offs are not based on any kind of higher business strategy - they are random and inexplicable, initiated to fix the bottom line.

RailComm employees enjoy an environment of zero accountability - initiatives are started and forgotten, projects are muddled, or lost in the shuffle until the 11th hour. No one ever gets fired or even reprimanded. The layoffs mentioned above do not include those people who make the mistakes.

RailComm management is unprofessional and lacks knowledge of basic business practices.

Advice to Management

If you want top performers, you need to start paying for them, and giving them power to fix what's broken.

"Need to Respect Employees or Company Won't Last Long"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairport, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairport, NY

I worked at RailComm full-time

Pros

The company is fairly small. There have been bonuses in the past, but not recently. Lower level employees respect each other and work well together, even if management isn't quite there. There are no set sick days so you can go to doctor appointments, etc, without having to take vacation.

Cons

Employees are undervalued and the low salaries reflect that. There is not much chance for upward mobility. The QA department has been reduced to only one employee. Management is constantly shifting company goals and priorities. The CEO is never in the office and no one seems to know what he is really doing. A high percentage of employees are related to the CEO, including the Director or HR (wife), all their of children, and his brother-in-law and sister-in-law. You can't trust a portion of management; they are only looking out for themselves. RailComm is no longer on the Rochester Top 100 Companies list.

Advice to Management

Your employees are what will make or break RailComm. Treat them with respect or nobody will want to work there. Several have already left and others will follow. When all of their knowledge is gone, RailComm will suffer. Pay good employees a respectable, competitive wage. Don't lie to employees by telling them there are no plans to restructure and then lay off several employees later in the week. Get training on how to effectively run a company.

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Director of Human Resources in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Director of Human Resources in Rochester, NY

I have been working at RailComm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The highlight of the pros is working with kind, dynamic, hard-working, creative people who are team players. Nothing is ever perfect in the workplace but of the places I have worked, RailComm by far outshines my previous experiences in terms of employee engagement, collaboration, and benefits. Since I am the HR Director, one might think my opinion is biased, but the metrics we keep show our retention rate to be over 90% for employees that have been here for 5 years or longer - well above the industry standard! We must be doing something right! You don’t become #2 in the prestigious list of Rochester’s Top 100 Companies without having something good going on! One of the nation’s top engineering schools is in our backyard and we are the 4th largest recruiter for their co-ops/students. We get the best and the brightest and our co-ops get a place that cares enough to give them relevant, challenging work with mentors, Friday bagel breakfasts, paid days off, and a very competitive salary.

Cons

We are a company of 70 employees and our huge growth has forced us to scale. Naturally, the processes are not always perfect. We sell very complex software systems and solutions that support our customers in many ways. Our customers are our priority and at times work may be especially long and difficult and may require extensive travel and late nights. We owe our customers everything and will continue to give them our best solutions. Through our 24/7 automated support service, RailComm’s customers know they will immediately get the support they need from a qualified engineer. Because our support system requires additional work time, both local and non-local for some of our employees, we provide additional premium pay to all of our Project/Application Engineers for any on-call time they work.

We aren’t perfect by any means, but we do our best. The metrics aren’t biased and neither are the myriad of awards we’ve won! LinkIn with me or call and I’ll be happy to tell you more about RailComm!

Advice to Management

You have made great progress; please make sure you continue down the path.