Reading Horizons Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best company ever"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reading Horizons is such a fun environment to be in. One of the core values is having fun. We do a lot of great work here and when you do that job well you get rewarded. It is a fun place to come in everyday. I feel like the product we have is the best in the industry and we get to impact so many lives. I love hearing success stories from people and teachers.

Cons

There has not been a downside to working here.

2. "Really Positive Work Environment"

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time

Pros

Really supportive people, and the product we are selling does a lot of good in the world.

Cons

It's Utah, so there isn't a lot of coffee around the office.

3. "Pretty Good Job"

I have been working at Reading Horizons (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of nice perks for working at Reading Horizons. The new building is nice and helped improved productivity and company culture. The mission of the company is great, and it feels good to be part of something good.

Cons

Some processes aren't in place very well. A lot of things get bottle necked in various places.

4. "A company that does so much good!"

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's amazing to work at a place where the number one goal is "teach the world to read" instead of "please the shareholders. I feel lucky to work here. Brand new building with lots of fun perks.

Cons

No cons about the company. The work can be challenging because of the industry, but the team is strong and the majority of people who work here are happy to come to work every day.

Advice to Management

Thanks for giving me so much to look forward to when I wake up. Best place to work!

5. "Really excellent products and customer service with an important mission"

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am relatively new to Reading Horizons but already feel very much a part of the team. RH is small but employs truly wonderful people who work very hard and who strive to provide the best products and customer support in the industry. I have been fortunate to have many great job opportunities over the years and I am so happy to now be working at RH.

Cons

RH is small and new employees have limited vacation time and a smaller contribution toward medical insurance. This year, however, the CEO worked with the board to improve the medical coverage and the company contribution and I am very happy with those changes. They also try to be flexible with time off so that it works for everyone.

6. "Amazing place to work"

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Having worked at Reading Horizons for several years, it starts to feel like a second home. The people are wonderful and fun to work with. The majority of the employees are hard workers and contribute to the overall awesomeness of the workplace.

The cause the company has, to help all beginning and struggling readers to learn how to read, is a great cause and something that I can stand behind. There are very few things that feel better than to know you have helped, even in a small way, to help someone advance their life by knowing how to read.

They are very flexible with time off and last minute requests.

Cons

Reading Horizons is a small company and really can't compete with large companies. Advancement is possible, but it's not something that is happening all the time. The open floor plan where a department staff is in one room with no dividers between desks can be very distracting. And when there is a known distraction in that environment, it seems that very little is done to correct the actions.

Jan 25, 2016 – President

I appreciate the feedback on the layout of the office. We are in the process of relocating to new space that will provide much more room to grow and reduce distractions that are a byproduct of close... More

7. "Great people and culture, small business pay and benefits"

Pros

The people and culture of this company are what make it so great. Everyone is so nice and honest and friendly that coming to work and associating with each other is really great. The culture is very flexible, relaxed, but driven to accomplish it's goals and the overall goal of the company to teach everyone to read is fantastic.

Cons

Compensation/benefits: This is the biggest con with this company. As with lots of small companies having high salaries and compensation is mostly limited to upper management. You could definitely go somewhere else and make more money. There aren't a lot of raises, even small cost of living each year. The health and dental are what they are for a small company, definitely not the best but not the worst. PTO is ridiculous in that you have to work a full year before you get 5 total days off for vacation/sick time. They try to offset this by being flexible in letting you take time off for family, school, personal things, etc... but when you do you don't get paid for it for a full year.

Advancement opportunities: There is very little advancement that goes on in this company (again small business) so there are those that have been working there for several years but are still mainly doing the same thing. That is why there is high turnover at this company. Low pay + low advancement opportunities = high turnover.

Advice to Management

Management is great in developing a good culture and trying to do activities and "perks" (free snacks, sodas, etc...) in order to keep morale up. However, management likes to over promise and under deliver just to keep people plugging along .

Overall it is a good small business to work for, there are definitely worse places to work. But if your looking for a place to make it a career (unless you get into upper management) or just don't mind working for the paycheck without much advancement then this is the place for you. I'm sure many other small companies face similar situations like this one.

Jan 7, 2016 – President

I can appreciate the perspective that was shared in this post and I will not deny that advancement opportunities are not what you will find at large companies. However, we also have a fun family feel... More

8. "Small Company with a Great Purpose"

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time

Pros

The company culture is great: Work hard and play hard. Family is considered a priority. The company's vision to help people improve their ability to read with the products and services is very apparent throughout each department, which makes coming to work more rewarding. The company leadership is super friendly. The office staff as a whole is full of really nice, good people, which helps to maintain a good work environment. Honesty, friendliness, integrity, and respect are highly valued.

Cons

It's difficult to compare Reading Horizons to larger companies because RH cannot compete with them in certain respects. For example, the amount of paid time-off is not as good as other companies, but it's adequate for a smaller company. However, the company culture and little perks (such as generous profit sharing, free snacks and sodas, and spontaneous trips to get frozen yogurt as a company) help to compensate for the weaknesses associated with working for a small company, which translates into greater job satisfaction and employee happiness.

Advice to Management

The management strives to maintain a good work environment and good work ethic. But at times deadlines can seem overwhelming and impractical. This is likely a challenge shared by other small companies, as well. But overall, things always seem to work out in the end.

9. "I love coming to work everyday! Excellent company!"

Pros

The people I work with are very passionate about what they do. Everyone's very kind and it's easy to make friends with coworkers. Our boss is fantastic and we regularly get recognized for a job well done. And because it's a small company there is plenty of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

It doesn't pay as well because it is a small company.

10. "Great place to learn and grow."

Pros

Way fun, great people to work with.
    Everyone is always pushing you to be better.
    No one is ever breaking you down or trying to discourage you.
    What Reading Horizons as a company does is amazing by itself.
    The President Tyson is an amazing person, he cares way more about teaching kids and people how to read than the money.

Cons

Pay isn't amazing. A lot of people here should be making a lot more than they are making.
    The management doesn't always show that they appreciate all the hard work you put in.

Advice to Management

Tell people that they are doing a good job more than just in the six month reviews after you tell us all the things we need to do better.

Jan 14, 2016 – President

Pay at Reading Horizons is escalating as company revenues grow. The staff grew by two members from 2014 to 2015 and overall payroll spend grew by 32%. The company is committed to making this the best... More