Reading Horizons Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Reading Horizons President & CEO Tyson J. Smith
Tyson J. Smith

1. "Best place I have ever worked!"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in North Salt Lake, UT
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in North Salt Lake, UT

I worked at Reading Horizons full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reading Horizons was a fabulous place to work. To be surrounded by hard working passionate individuals made me rise to the challenge. The Reading Horizons program really works to help people read and the motives of the company are pure. The working environment was very positive and I was given many opportunities to grow and progress in the company. At Reading Horizons the cream rises to the top. Good, hard working people are rewarded and promoted.

Cons

The company is fairly small but there are nice things about a small company.

Advice to Management

Best company I have ever worked for! Great management that are caring and put employees first.

2. "Incredible products, Poor place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Salt Lake, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Salt Lake, UT

Pros

The Reading program is a great program and helps lots of students. There is a good work/life balance. Employee's get free use of the program.

Cons

Very low pay. Benefits are not group but individual and super expensive. Owner over promises and under delivers on promises he makes and statements he makes about the company. Little recognition for doing a good job. The work environment is very Mormon/BYU, including praying to start company lunch meetings.

Advice to Management

Owner needs to read the Leadership and Self-Deception book in Book Club and apply it to his own leadership skills and stop saying that making a difference in students lives is so important when all you really care about is sales volume.

Feb 10, 2014 – President

Please note that this is a "former employee", not current, as it states on the review. I am aware of who this is and can say that we it was not a good fit. Regardless of what we tried he was never ... More

3. "Best company ever"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reading Horizons is such a fun environment to be in. One of the core values is having fun. We do a lot of great work here and when you do that job well you get rewarded. It is a fun place to come in everyday. I feel like the product we have is the best in the industry and we get to impact so many lives. I love hearing success stories from people and teachers.

Cons

There has not been a downside to working here.

5. "Really Positive Work Environment"

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time

Pros

Really supportive people, and the product we are selling does a lot of good in the world.

Cons

It's Utah, so there isn't a lot of coffee around the office.

6. "Pretty Good Job"

I have been working at Reading Horizons (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of nice perks for working at Reading Horizons. The new building is nice and helped improved productivity and company culture. The mission of the company is great, and it feels good to be part of something good.

Cons

Some processes aren't in place very well. A lot of things get bottle necked in various places.

7. "A company that does so much good!"

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's amazing to work at a place where the number one goal is "teach the world to read" instead of "please the shareholders. I feel lucky to work here. Brand new building with lots of fun perks.

Cons

No cons about the company. The work can be challenging because of the industry, but the team is strong and the majority of people who work here are happy to come to work every day.

Advice to Management

Thanks for giving me so much to look forward to when I wake up. Best place to work!

8. "Really excellent products and customer service with an important mission"

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am relatively new to Reading Horizons but already feel very much a part of the team. RH is small but employs truly wonderful people who work very hard and who strive to provide the best products and customer support in the industry. I have been fortunate to have many great job opportunities over the years and I am so happy to now be working at RH.

Cons

RH is small and new employees have limited vacation time and a smaller contribution toward medical insurance. This year, however, the CEO worked with the board to improve the medical coverage and the company contribution and I am very happy with those changes. They also try to be flexible with time off so that it works for everyone.

9. "Amazing place to work"

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Having worked at Reading Horizons for several years, it starts to feel like a second home. The people are wonderful and fun to work with. The majority of the employees are hard workers and contribute to the overall awesomeness of the workplace.

The cause the company has, to help all beginning and struggling readers to learn how to read, is a great cause and something that I can stand behind. There are very few things that feel better than to know you have helped, even in a small way, to help someone advance their life by knowing how to read.

They are very flexible with time off and last minute requests.

Cons

Reading Horizons is a small company and really can't compete with large companies. Advancement is possible, but it's not something that is happening all the time. The open floor plan where a department staff is in one room with no dividers between desks can be very distracting. And when there is a known distraction in that environment, it seems that very little is done to correct the actions.

Jan 25, 2016 – President

I appreciate the feedback on the layout of the office. We are in the process of relocating to new space that will provide much more room to grow and reduce distractions that are a byproduct of close ... More

10. "Great people and culture, small business pay and benefits"

Pros

The people and culture of this company are what make it so great. Everyone is so nice and honest and friendly that coming to work and associating with each other is really great. The culture is very flexible, relaxed, but driven to accomplish it's goals and the overall goal of the company to teach everyone to read is fantastic.

Cons

Compensation/benefits: This is the biggest con with this company. As with lots of small companies having high salaries and compensation is mostly limited to upper management. You could definitely go somewhere else and make more money. There aren't a lot of raises, even small cost of living each year. The health and dental are what they are for a small company, definitely not the best but not the worst. PTO is ridiculous in that you have to work a full year before you get 5 total days off for vacation/sick time. They try to offset this by being flexible in letting you take time off for family, school, personal things, etc... but when you do you don't get paid for it for a full year.

Advancement opportunities: There is very little advancement that goes on in this company (again small business) so there are those that have been working there for several years but are still mainly doing the same thing. That is why there is high turnover at this company. Low pay + low advancement opportunities = high turnover.

Advice to Management

Management is great in developing a good culture and trying to do activities and "perks" (free snacks, sodas, etc...) in order to keep morale up. However, management likes to over promise and under deliver just to keep people plugging along .

Overall it is a good small business to work for, there are definitely worse places to work. But if your looking for a place to make it a career (unless you get into upper management) or just don't mind working for the paycheck without much advancement then this is the place for you. I'm sure many other small companies face similar situations like this one.

Jan 7, 2016 – President

I can appreciate the perspective that was shared in this post and I will not deny that advancement opportunities are not what you will find at large companies. However, we also have a fun family feel ... More

11. "I love coming to work everyday! Excellent company!"

Pros

The people I work with are very passionate about what they do. Everyone's very kind and it's easy to make friends with coworkers. Our boss is fantastic and we regularly get recognized for a job well done. And because it's a small company there is plenty of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

It doesn't pay as well because it is a small company.