Resource Action Programs Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joseph Thrasher

"Honest, positive, hard-working group of people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparks, NV

I have been working at Resource Action Programs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We all work together to produce an excellent product to educate students and create an energy-efficient awareness. Each member of the team is valued. At weekly meetings, we are able to see how individual members contribute to the success of the whole. We are a proud group!
    Management is generous and considerate; the lines of communication are always open. Mr. Thrasher, in particular, is patient and level-headed. When mistakes occur, he addresses the employees involved, and considers the "event" a learning experience. All employees work hard for him because he is fair, dedicated, and has a great sense of humor.

Cons

Time crunches arise, sometimes at the last minute.

"Great place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparks, NV

I have been working at Resource Action Programs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working here has been a great experience. I have learned a lot from my time here. I have been able to advance within the company. Management has constructive criticism to help me be better at my job. Communication within departments has become much better. The work environment is serious when necessary and fun at times as well. I feel company goals are realistic.

Cons

The long hours can be hard at times however they are necessary. I don't have much to say that is bad or negative about the company because I feel that I have been treated well and have not had any negative experiences.

Advice to Management

The better you get to know your employees the more comfortable they feel. I think that leads to employees wanting to work harder and do a better job because they feel like they are appreciated for their hard work.

3. "RAP has a great mission: educate kids and families on how to conserve energy and water"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparks, NV

I worked at Resource Action Programs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Resource Action Programs has a challenging and demanding work environment. A lot is expected of its employees, and with good reason. RAP's mission is to education kids and families about energy and water conservation. How great is that? Also, every Monday, RAP leaders held a company-wide meeting to inform employees about current and future initiatives. This reduced rumors and ensured everyone understood company policy and direction.

Cons

The company is located in eastern Sparks, and westbound traffic to Reno is heavy. This isn't RAP's fault, but it's the only con I remembered having.

Advice to Management

RAP does programs in Nevada, but it would be great if these were expanded in size and scope.

4. "This was the worst company I have ever worked for!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparks, NV

I worked at Resource Action Programs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Their concept of the product is good. The company could grow and be successful if they would make some intelligent decisions.

Cons

It's all about the money coming in and quotas to be met. No employee development and horrible communications keep everyone working in chaos. Management says they want to listen to employees and work smarter, but that is only lip service. If you keep your head down and do as you are told, can deal with micro management at its' worst, then you might be able to keep a job. It's more about who you know in the company then how you do your job.

Advice to Management

Learn from your mistakes instead of doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Hire qualified people and then let them do the job they were hired for. One person can't know or do it all.

5. "Do not work here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparks, NV

I worked at Resource Action Programs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have no positive things to state about this company.

Cons

Slave Driver Mentality from management. Little to no communication from Management to lower level workers. Rampant office politics and gossip circles. Benefits are the most expensive I've ever had and provided the lowest level of coverages

"Good, challenging work place - simple as that."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Pros

It's good to work for a company where they expect a lot, push you to grow, and constantly challenge you. For me, one of the most motivating factors is seeing how hard my boss works and how much effort he puts in.
    The company does little things to help make it a positive work place, such as breakfast on Fridays, lunches at the end of busy months, and random events.
    Overall, it is a great place to work and grow.

Cons

Honestly, the biggest downside is negative people on sites like this. The only way I can think to explain it is through a food analogy. When you have a good dinner somewhere, you just enjoy it and move on. Whereas, if you have a horrid experience, you tell everyone and then you tell their sisters. You make sure everyone knows. I think that's what is happening here. Obviously not everyone will fit in the working environment, and so there are bound to be people who are disgruntled.
    Those people who are happy and who voted Resource Action Programs a finalist for the best places to work are clearly doing well.

Advice to Management

Advice to management: get to know people. Make sure you listen to and acknowledge the people in the company. Everyone has a value to the work flow of the company and everyone has ideas and something to contribute.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparks, NV

Pros

Working with this company, I have not only learned a great deal, have been given the opportunity for growth and upward mobility, but I have also grown as a person. There is no unfair treatment and managment does not rule by fear and threats. They do, however, expect their employees to be professional. This includes coming into work on time, staying until the job is finished, appropriate work attire and it's not too much to ask for100% job performance. All of this is included in the handbook that is handed out in the beginning of employment. In this down economy, how many employers sponsor annual golf tourneys, pay for basketball teams, softball teams, pays for family outings such as Reno Aces games, Wolf Pack games, picnics, and hikes? Not to mention paid time off from Christmas through New Years on top of your vacation and sick leave?

Cons

The only cons about working here are having to work with ungrateful co-workers. Maybe all of the negative reviewers, will find a more rewarding career in burger flipping where hard work and effort are not necessary.

Advice to Management

Start hiring employees that want to work and will give 100% to the company, instead of those that obviously don't care and are only working for a paycheck...

8. "Avoid working here at all costs."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparks, NV

Pros

There are a select few competent and friendly employees, but they have given up on attempting to create efficiencies in the workflow and improve materials this company creates. Management is so resistant to change that improvements are impossible. The only good thing I can say about Resource Action Programs is that since they don't provide utensils or paper plates, it makes every lunchtime an adventure if you bring food from home.

Cons

The type of shoes you wear is more important than any skill you bring to the table. Change is met with resistance. Employees are ruled by threats and fear from management. You might get fired for wearing a v-neck that resembles a t-shirt in any way on casual Friday. Employees who have been with the company for any length of time are indifferent after years of being unappreciated, overworked and looked down upon. Extremely high turnover. Depressing work environment. The company does not care about education, even though they create educational materials. Materials are quickly pushed through and sent out to teachers and students with glaring typos because there is no reliable proofing process put into place across all teams. There is also no project management or tracking on the design side of projects. Everything is a rush - and you WILL have to do whatever it takes to get it done, even if that means working a 14 hour day - dinner will not be provided, by the way. The company does not seem to concern themselves with customer service, being a leader in their industry or the well-being of their employees. Avoid working here at all costs.

Advice to Management

Be honest with the people you hire and stop misrepresenting positions to potential employees. It's their life you are playing with. For example, if someone leaves a job for the perks you advertise, and then you don't come through - consider how that employee will feel after realizing their job is nothing like what you said it would be. Don't promise them the things they are looking for in a job if you are unwilling to provide those things. Also, the multitude of strict rules makes your employees feel like cattle instead of human beings. Treat people like people. Let them utilize the skills you hired them for....or what you told them you hired them for, anyway. Start listening to your employees who do happen to know what they're talking about. Create an environment which rewards forward thinking and enthusiasm towards improving (or starting) processes that will create efficiency and happiness in the workplace. Certain people work harder, faster and better when given an opportunity to put themselves into the project and be heard for their innovative ideas and realistic concerns.

"My experience at RAP has been rewarding and fulfilling."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Pros

The environment is collaborative, supportive, and nurturing work environment. It is generally a great place to work! Management fosters an environment in which you have the opportunity to both share your ideas and have them implemented the next day.

Cons

Given the nature of the business things can be hectic from time to time. Management tries to be as fluid and thorough as possible to ensure things run smoothly.

Advice to Management

Continue to do the things that you are doing! The changes made over the last year have created an environment that makes employees WANT to work for your company.

"Good growth potential but serious lacking in leadership and humanity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparks, NV

Pros

This company creates a fantastic service and product. This can be a very large company if done right.

Cons

Management rules by fear and threats. They have no strategic plan and makes constant changes by whim instead of by smart decisions. Managers do not listen to their employees and believe their decisions are the only right ones. Managers tend to employ friends into leadership positions in which they have no experience.

Advice to Management

There have been great employees who have left this company because they were treated unfairly. Leaders need serious training and company needs to be restructured with the right people who can do the jobs.