Response Mine Interactive Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Ken Robbins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Entrepreneurial and Millennial Heavy Workforce Creates Strong Pros and Some Cons"

I worked at Response Mine Interactive full-time

Pros

Response Mine Interactive is a privately owned agency headquartered in Atlanta. With about 70 employees, two different divisions and multiple people in entry-level to executive level positions, it's a big enough agency to feel like you aren't working at a start-up. There are people to learn from and enough staff to get the job done.

Response Mine Interactive is a fantastic agency for innovative, self-driven entrepreneurial marketers who have the curiosity and drive to challenge the status quo. The work-life balance is unmatched, there is trust in your work as an employee and if you are willing to put in the work, employees can be rewarded with unmatched pay and title bumps for our industry.

There aren't many times when you can present a solid case to the management or executive team and see it completely turned down. The agency fosters a sense of pushing the envelope and welcomes new departments to be created or new innovations to be adopted.

Response Mine Interactive is fiercely loyal to their staff- allowing employees who have been out college for 2-3 years to run teams of people and large accounts and for those who have been in the workforce 5-7 years to rise to Director and VP level positions, taking a chance/bet on awarding loyal tenured employees the opportunity to learn, succeed, and/or fail on the agency's dime.

Cons

Too often, the same entry-mid level employees who enjoyed the pay bumps, opportunities to rise to senior manager-executive level positions and work-life balance aren't equipped with the proper managerial training and years in the workforce to deal with the inevitable cons of working in a more entrepreneurial environment.

Response Mine Interactive encourages recruiting junior level talent and training them up. While this has the benefit of teaching people the right (albeit at times more mechanical "old school") ways of running digital media- it leaves the agency with a bunch of employees who know Response Mine as their first and only job. Once the excitement and allure of working for an agency wear off, RMI's executive and management teams have to deal with managing employees who get frustrated by the same things that make them stay at RMI- and that make RMI one of the only agencies in Atlanta where mid-executive level management have been with the agency for 7+ years.

It's difficult to manage expectations for employees who haven't been at another job to have something to compare it to, and the executive and management team don't focus enough on leadership training, employee development, coaching and team-building to work through some of these issues.

The agency also waits too long to recognize when a department needs more assistance, attention or investment to make it successful. As a former employee, it was nice to know my word was taken seriously and listened to, but I'd challenge the management team to hold employees more accountable to their goals and step in sooner to provide additional resources or investments when a department or initiative isn't working.

Advice to Management

Take the complaints you receive from the people on the floor with a grain of salt, but take them seriously. Know that for a lot of the staff, this is their first ever or most accomplished place of employment and their frustrations more than likely come from naivety to what it's like for to work at any agency- much less in the corporate world.

It may take former employees years (and headaches) at future jobs to realize how good they had it at RMI (I'm sure you all know this based off of how many people have come back or expressed wanting to come back). But while they are an employee at your agency, make it more of a point to invest in their concerns- be more transparent in your communication and decision making, coach them when they are making false assumptions or claims and give those in managerial roles the proper training to not undermine the employees who are airing concerns to improve the agency as a whole.

Invest in bonding activities, training and coaching- encourage open feedback and act on concerns (or explain why they aren't valid).

2. "Fun and Frustrating"

I have been working at Response Mine Interactive full-time

Pros

Cool, laid back environment with lots of company sponsored activities

Cons

lack or direction from management. lots of new initiatives with poor follow through

3. "Like any agency, has its ups and downs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Response Mine Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- If you have a supportive, smart, and honest manager, you will go far. There are opportunities for growth if you show progression to management.
    - Most of the employees are fun, smart, and easy to work with.
    - Great health insurance benefits included for full-time employees.
    - Great location, easy/free parking, and plenty of lunch/food options within walking distance.
    - Fun events are frequently planned.

Cons

- The frequent employee turnover can impact your work/stress levels, since it takes a LONG time to refill the positions (if they decide to hire a replacement...). Additionally, it can impact the health and relationship of the account/clients.
    - Lack of communicating any clear "path to success", can make employees question why they continue to work there.
    - If you've been there long enough, you start to notice the lack of upper management presence.
    - New business is lacking.

Advice to Management

- Provide clear and concise job descriptions for your employees, and continue to be honest and clear.
    - Commit to creating training programs for more junior employees; and to therefore make managers' jobs easier. Make time to prioritize the professional development of the more junior employees.

4. "Run far away"

Former Employee - Call Center Agent
    Former Employee - Call Center Agent

I worked at Response Mine Interactive part-time

Pros

There were no pros in the call center

Cons

Everything was a con in the call cetner

Advice to Management

Don't make your agents disposable. If someone isn't performing as good as another agent mentor them.

"The epitome of middle school"

Pros

-Flexible hours and ability to own your projects
    -Dogs, but this is also a con sometimes

Cons

-Extremely cliquey.
    -If you join as an associate, the 6 month time line means nothing. They will pay you basically minimum wage to do full time work and try to convince you to work 40 hrs with no benefits. The 6 months can easily turn into 7 or 10, which sucks when you are only making $10/hr and have an ineffective manager who refuses to tell you whether they want to hire you full time even after acknowledging that their crappy management is what caused your negative performance. What a waste of time.
    -Gossip everywhere, even amongst managers. NOTHING is confidential
    -Lack of training and lack of experience managers who are effective trainers. You will be repeatedly and publicly condescended for asking for clarification on new projects. Tons of miscommunication.
    - Honestly felt like I was much smarter than many of the people that were supposed to be "managing" me, which makes it hard to respect your managers, especially when they don't own up to their mistakes.
    -The personality types on the media side can be summed up as caricatures of MTV who don't have any depth & have loud conversations about BS like celebrity news & socail media while you are trying concentrate to produce quality work.
    -Complete Bro/fratty/sorority vibe, at least on the media side
    -There are dogs running around everywhere and barking frequently. The loud random conversations make it hard to concentrate and there are no side rooms that you can go to for concentration (they only have 3 conference rooms which are almost always booked)
    -They act as if alcohol should be the highlight of the employee experience (this is coming from someone who actually drinks). They have regular in-office alcohol-fueled events and expect you to go, stay the whole time for "comradery," and then work late to finish the things you could've been doing instead of going to these forced bonding events.
    -Low pay. I'm making substantially more elsewhere doing much less than what I was doing at RMI

Advice to Management

Hire smarter people. Don't let young, unexperienced managers train associates, or at least train them on effective management first. I wouldn't be surprised if this terrible management is why the media side can't retain any associates.

"Dedicated staff. Sincere Executive Team."

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Buckhead, GA
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Buckhead, GA

I have been working at Response Mine Interactive full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My aspiration has always been that Response Mine have integrity first then make a profit and grow as a company. While we have not always grown year over year, we have had fourteen profitable years and to the best of my knowledge as CEO, the executives here expect and maintain a high standard of integrity- with clients and employees.

I love the fact that our VP of Finance was able to design our way out of the fraud called agency timesheets. This has liberated the company from that tired and useless process. The VPs are willing to speak their mind and offer up considered solutions to problems. I am blessed with the finest executive team of any company I've ever seen. They sure cover many of my weaknesses and combined, provide the wisdom of thoughtful advisory board.

At RMI we don't enforce hours and I think our employees work harder than most- consuming nights and occasionally weekends to serve our A-list of clients.

Finally, the innovation level at Response Mine is high because of a few key employees. Our elimination of timesheets, adoption of world class DOMO reporting software, introduction of management-by-objectives, and the creation of a HIPAA-compliant call center in our offices are all examples of employees driving innovations.

2015 was a record year for revenues and now putting 20/20 in our sites- $20MM in revenues by 2020.

Cons

Well, any and all problems at Response Mine roll up to the CEO. It's either my blindspot or sometimes permissiveness that allow problems to creep up. From 2010 to 2014, in order to transform and grow the company I embarked on too many new initiatives and really did only one in five well. Projects that don't go well are dispiriting, but still, I can be stubborn about pursuing an initiative with dogged determination. Sometimes I've ignored the smoke and waited until we had a full blown fire before being willing to change.

Probably the greatest regret I have is in not keeping the company fully staffed. When this has happened, it caused the employees to have to work too many hours and occasionally has cost a client relationship. Starting in 2016 our goal is to staff the company well. For as long as I am CEO, our strategy will be to pursue staffing ahead of revenues rather than chronically being in arrears.

Advice to Management

Commit to excellence in output. It's the easiest to scale.

Challenge our employees to learn more and faster. Don't let up. We'd rather they remember RMI as the hardest great job they ever had rather than the most fun place they remember. We're stewards of the next generation of marketers and to me, that means expecting them to produce very high standards and thinking for our clients.

7. "Would recommend"

Former Employee - Digital PR Associate in Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Digital PR Associate in Athens, GA

I worked at Response Mine Interactive (More than a year)

Pros

RMI is a great place to work. While my time there was short, I learned plenty and enjoyed everyone I wofked with.

Cons

I can't think of any cons about the company.

"Not a bad gig at all... but don't expect much development if you're just starting out."

Former Employee - Junior SEO Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Junior SEO Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Response Mine Interactive (More than a year)

Pros

RMI is an excellent place to learn from some of the most talented marketing professionals in Atlanta. The clients are generally pretty interesting and provide tons of opportunity to learn. Plenty of feedback from supervisors/managers on the earned media team.
    Lots of fun events, outings, and in-office perks. Super relaxed dress code. Work life balance is emphasized across the board. PTO is pretty generous, especially for folks in non-senior roles. Really good agency paid benefits, too. Cool company wide quarterly performance review with a keg. Dogs also allowed in the office.

The office itself is in a neat location, right across from Lenox Mall. Starbucks runs are frequent and sometimes encouraged for fresh air. Beautiful courtyard area in front of the office building.

CEO is generally down to earth and usually has an interesting story to tell during the weekly Monday morning meeting. He takes time to chat with everyone, not just the executive team.

Overall a good place to get your foot in the door or grow your career if you've got the experience to land a higher-up role. If you receive an offer from RMI, accept it! I'm really grateful for the time I spent at RMI.

Cons

While there are some really awesome perks and people, the pay is low. They could do away with some of those extra events and increase salaries, in my opinion.

Outside of giving you the opportunity to work on some big accounts, they don't really do anything in the way of professional development for employees in junior/mid level roles. Turnover rate might decrease if RMI really invested in Junior/Mid level managers. They do it with more senior positions... why not everyone else?

The development path also seems to be a bit arbitrary, which is fine... but it's part of the reason I left.

Socially, it can get a little clique-y... but I feel like that's to be expected. Most of the people who work there are really nice and easy to get along with.

Advice to Management

Invest in your Junior and Mid-level managers! Show some more outward appreciation for good work. Define a clearer advancement path.

9. "Great Agency!!"

I have been working at Response Mine Interactive full-time

Pros

Advanced marketing strategies with end to end marketing funnel control.
    Great work culture
    Smart and talented individuals
    Very challenging
    Young and relaxed atmosphere
    Dog friendly

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind.

10. "SEO Associate"

Former Employee - SEO Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - SEO Associate in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great environment with knowledgeable people

Cons

High turn over rate even among full time people because of low compensation

Advice to Management

Pay the people more