Rise Interactive Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rise Interactive Founder & CEO Jon Morris
Jon Morris

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Digital Marketing Knowledge/Philosophy:" (in 15 reviews)

• "Benefits, Working from home, Beer Friday" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be tough sometimes" (in 15 reviews)

• "Upper management and leadership have NO idea what they are doing" (in 9 reviews)

"Great Place to Learn and Build Your Career!"

Current Employee - Senior Internet Marketing Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Internet Marketing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rise Interactive is a fantastic place to build the foundation of your career in the marketing field. This is a culture where creativity, curiosity, and individuality is encouraged and hard work and and determination is expected.

There are many opportunities to learn new skills and advance in areas you are interested in. The environment is quite open and collaborate. Upper management is approachable and cares about the well being of the employees. This is very much a work hard, play hard culture. You have to put in the effort, but you will be recognized and rewarded along the way.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover at the company. Most entry level employees do not stay for more than a couple years before pursuing other opportunities. Some of this is due to the nature of the industry and demographics of the employees. It does make it difficult to maintain continuity though and can be frustrating at times.

Additionally, given the expectation of a strong work ethic, long hours are typical. Work/life balance can be tough sometimes. Some employees consistently stay late and occasionally must bring their work home into personal or weekend time.

Advice to Management

Keep working to maintain transparency within the organization. Leadership has done a good job of this in recent times and should make an effort to continue to do so in the future.

Aug 31, 2018 – Director, Employee Services

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoy working with your colleagues and value an innovative environment with a great deal of opportunity for growth and recognition... More

"Making Progress"

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As the CEO of Rise, I want Glassdoor to provide prospective employees an honest view of the pros and cons of what it is like to work at Rise. I unfortunately believe that the majority of posts on glassdoor do not provide a true reflection so I want to give the pros and cons from my perspective:

Outlook:
    The majority of the more recent posts have a negative outlook on Rise. When I see this, I am always unsure if they are referring to the financial outlook or as it relates to employee engagement.

In my personal opinion I believe that the outlook looks very positive for both aspects. From a financial perspective, Rise has had double digit or triple digit growth every year since 2004 with the exception of 2009. 2018 seems to be continuing this trend and I believe that the outlook for 2019 looks great. Additionally, Rise is ahead of our goal from a profit perspective and our balance sheet has never been better.

As it relates to employee engagement, one of our three main goals is to invest in our team. We have several initiatives focused on this and based on the weekly pulse report on employee engagement I get we are definitely making progress. That does not mean that there is not more work to be done, but I believe that 12 months from now the engagement will absolutely be higher than it is right now.

Quality of People:
      The people that work at Rise are highly intelligent and analytical individuals that will push you to be better. I hear all of the time how people after they start working at Rise are amazed at how smart everyone else is in the company.

Digital Marketing Knowledge/Philosophy:
    Rise has grown from me working out of home to approximately 220 people and the way we have been able to grow is to offer phenomenal digital marketing services to our customers. I would put our approach and the returns we generated for our customers up against any other firm. If you join Rise, you will learn this philosophy, as well as gain a skill set that will give you an edge regardless of whether you stay at Rise or go somewhere else.

Promote from Within:
    Rise has a very strong belief in promoting from within the organization. This means that if we continue to grow organically by double digits every year there will be substantial opportunities to get promoted.

Transparency:
    In 2018 we are making a huge effort to be more transparent as it relates to our strategic plan, financials, as well as how we run the business. This includes me speaking in front of the company twice per month, as well as bringing other leaders to present to the company based on its other initiatives.

Cons

I also believe that there are several areas of improvement that we are working on addressing. Below are some cons or things that you should be aware of as it relates to working at Rise.

2016/2017 Missteps:
    As the CEO of Rise for the last 14 years, I personally believe that holistically over this time period I have done my job well. That does not mean though that every year I have performed as well as previous years. If I had to rate myself for 2016 and 2017 I believe that they were two of my worst years as a CEO. To put this in perspective, Rise’s Glassdoor rating in December of 2015 was over 4.0 and my personal rating was in the 90s. Today, it is a 2.2 rating overall and 40% of the people rating approve of my performance. So what happened over these two years:

The first thing is that Rise became a very different company that needed to be managed differently. From 2004 to 2015, Rise was a boot strapped organization with no debt and no outside investors. With the vision of growing a technology platform as a major differentiator, we decided to use debt and equity to fuel the growth of the business.

The management style to run a negative EBITDA business with debt and outside investors is simply different than running a boot strapped organization and I personally did not adjust my management style quickly enough.

There were four main areas that I could have done better during this time period:

*The first is that we did not set realistic revenue goals. The goals we set-out to achieve were too high. We adjusted our expenses based on these revenue goals rather than growing our expenses in a more conservative manner.

*The second mistake was we did not lower expenses quickly enough. This caused us to burn cash at a faster rate than expected which caused us to have multiple rounds of layoffs.

*The third is that we were not transparent with the reality of our financial situation. I personally went in front of the company numerous times to talk about our record breaking revenue numbers but did not share that we were missing our profit targets.

*The fourth is an absolutely horrific rollout of 2017 bonuses. Due to profit numbers being lower, the bonus pool was substantially smaller than usual.
    Additionally for the first time ever we paid bonuses out in March versus December or January with very poor communication regarding this.

There are a few results of these mistakes are that we created.
    *The first is that we created hardship on some existing and previous employees.

*We also have lost a substantial amount of trust amongst existing and previous employees, as well as suffer reputational damage in the Chicago market. There are many previous employees that did not have a good experience and would encourage others to not work at Rise.

*Another result is that we are aggressively working harder to learn from these past two years and make improvements. One major change is we are back to running the business in a debt free profitable manner as we did for the first 12 years.

Transitional Time Period:
    Although Rise is still focused on rapid growth there is more emphasis on profits than previous years. This means that we are all having to do more with less resources which is definitely an adjustment for everyone at Rise.

Promote from Within:
    Although I listed promoting from within as a benefit there are also challenges with this approach. Often times someone is taking on more responsibility before they have grown into their new role. I still believe though that the benefits to the employees of knowing we are always going to look from within and give them the chance to grow their careers outweighs the patience we all need as our team members have to learn their new roles.
      It is also a very common diversity and inclusion problem. We are on a journey of improving diversity and inclusion and recognize the challenges that this philosophy can create.

It is a hard job:
    Rise is definitely not for everyone. We are looking for ultra-ambitious individuals that are excited about competing against multi-billion dollar companies that have substantially more resources.If you come to Rise you should know that you will have to work extremely hard.It is important that you understand this before entering the job.

Advice to Management

My advice is for us to continually work on improving transparency and to invest in our team.

"Rising to the occasion..."

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First, to level-set here...I've worked at a fortune 500 for a few years and a smaller agency for another few. Rise outshines them all.

Does Rise have problems? Sure and I'll detail those in the next section. But those problems are overshadowed by the freedom, expertise and opportunity at Rise.

- A lot of freedom: With 40+ WFH days, floating holidays and a generous PTO package, Rise grants their employees a lot of freedom to choose when and where they work. If you own your project plans and client expectations, you should never have to work more than 40-50 hours/week.

- Digital Marketing Experts: If you're looking to learn Digital Marketing in a short span, Rise is the perfect place for you. If you're already an experienced marketer, your POVs and expertise are invaluable as we're always looking to innovate. Speaking of that...

- Innovation: Rise rewards innovation; plain and simple. If you find a problem and have an idea on how to fix it, Rise encourages you to make a business case for it! If you're able to align your stakeholders on your idea, then you'll be given leeway to work and implement it. And, since we're so small, new ideas/processes/tech can be brought to life in a few months providing a real sense of accomplishment. Which brings me to my next point...

- Meritocracy: If you work hard, innovate on processes/tech and/or bring in new revenue/clients, Rise rewards you. However, if you think you can dial-it-in and do as well as your peers who go that extra mile, then you may not see the same career trajectory.

- Growth starts from within: Rise typically promotes from within so that means that any time the organization grows, boom! There's a promotion. And, considering that we have double digit growth YoY, there's a lot of opportunity at Rise.

- Lastly our true differentiator is the people! I am a firm believer that if you don't like the people you work with, then you will not like your job. It's that simple. What keeps me engaged with Rise are my colleagues. Some of the funniest, kindest and most intelligent marketers in the industry work and have worked at Rise. I am truly thankful for y'all.

Cons

That said, there are opportunities where Rise can pay better attention. These seem to be common themes within the negative reviews but they miss the root cause. Because of these misses, I don't think anybody (internally and externally) benefits. Here's my best attempt:

- Scoping Projects: Yes, the channel teams and the account management teams used to be at arms when it came to how long it would take to complete a given project. However, these issues have largely been resolved with more pro-active comms between the teams and a company-wide initiative to follow project plans more closely. The last part seems like a no-brainer, but change management is always a pain no matter where you are and this was no different.

- Setting deadlines: Rise is very client-centric which 90% of the time is a good thing. Heck, it's one of our selling points. Sometimes though the clients can be very wrong and we need to be stronger on how we work with them when their ideas go off the tracks. This means, working with the channel teams to vet projects and set realistic deadlines. We're not yes-men. We're consultants. Our value is in our expertise. This one's also a bit older and has mostly been rectified by adhering to established and communicated project plans, so overall good progress here.

- Hiring Proactively: One of the largest pain points is hiring new members proactively. I know we are a smaller agency and management really doesn't want to let anybody go if a deal falls through, but it would be nice to have someone trained before we on-board and not as we do it.

Other than that, I am truly happy to be a part of Rise and it's growth. I look forward to more transparent comms on the above issues and most importantly an action plan on how we'll get there.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide transparency. The AMAs are a good step, however, what we really want to see is action. If we can alleviate our pains around scoping, planning and proactive hiring the overall organization will flow more smoothly which will reduce churn and resolve the majority of these negative outbound reviews.

I know we've already made strides here but I would like to see more!

"Great Opportunities Abound"

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time

Pros

I have worked at Rise for several years. I have had the experience to work with smart and dedicated people, amazing companies and work on digital marketing challenges that are leading the industry. I have even heard from many former colleagues that the experience at Rise is second to none in preparing you to work at growing organizations and thinking differently.

Cons

Some are not prepared for the expectations of work ethic and standard of excellence.
     I would say working at Rise is a lifestyle decision as much as it is a professional one.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate changes. It is great to see the focus on updates and making sure we understand how we can best contribute and succeed.

Aug 31, 2018 – Director, Employee Services

Thank you for sharing your feedback. If you have additional ideas and suggestions, please share them with your manager, through our weekly and quarterly engagement surveys, during all-hands meetings... More

"A Challenging, Yet Rewarding Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rise is a different breed of agency. They focus on data and analytics and recruit some of the smartest people I've met.

One of the best things about Rise is the amount of opportunity that exists. To grow at double digits every year, to have teams literally double or triple in size within 1 year is truly remarkable and something that does not exist in other environments. This growth leads to opportunities for people that are smart, proactive, and who truly go above and beyond to create their own career paths, as Rise is a big proponent of promoting from within rather than hiring externally.

Promoting from within can be both a positive and a negative experience; however, in my opinion, it is one of the things that draws me to Rise and keeps me at Rise. There is always an opportunity to learn – I would argue that while the training and onboarding process for new employees may seem rigorous, employees learn a lot more than they would in other places.

Rise has also been recognized by some of the most prominent and authoritative research firms in the world. Yes, Rise has also won a number of lesser known awards, but to be recognized by Google, Bing and Forrester is not an accident. The strategies that the teams at Rise develop are innovative and differentiated, and everyone has an equal opportunity to contribute new ideas to improve.

Cons

However…I do absolutely think there are areas of opportunity to improve at Rise.

First and foremost, is dealing with the friction that exists between teams. Due to the structure of the company, there is a need to have lots of cross-team collaboration. Rise has not yet found the best way to deal with that cross-team collaboration. This can lead to a toxic envir onment where people do not enjoy coming in to work every day or working with specific individuals from another team.

Next, is the hiring and resourcing process. As I mentioned in the Pros section, Rise hires some of the smartest individuals out there. However, finding those people takes time. When you couple that along with the growth that Rise is seeing, the agency is constantly in “catch up” mode, where resources need to be juggled around, people moved between teams, freelancers contracted, etc. This leads to a significant amount of pain and frustration for the managers that have to spend time figuring that out as opposed to actually managing the teams. By developing a more proactive hiring strategy, the managers can focus on training and innovating with their teams rather than resourcing needs.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent with the agency. People appreciate an honest answer, even if they’re not going to like it as much.

Prioritize the above 2 issues - if not dealt with, they can become massive constraints to the agency’s growth.

Aug 31, 2018 – Director, Employee Services

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Your areas of improvement highlight work the Leadership Team is doing to make Rise an even better work environment and we will continue to provide updates on this... More

"Best Culture I have been a Part Of---A Couple of Issues..."

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time

Pros

They really do care about their employees. They listen to feedback and make changes. Sometimes those changes are slower than we'd like, but generally there is a sense that the management team is listening.
    Good benefits and perks.
    Flexible about working from home.
    Relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

In recent months, the workplace culture has gotten more tense, but even with that, it is still more employee-focused than other places I have worked.
    The biggest drawback are the seemingly arbitrary promotions.

Advice to Management

Don't just promote someone because they have been there for a year, or because you need to fill a gap. I have seen first hand people get promoted not because they are qualified or worked hard, but because a title or role was missing in the org chat. As a result, I often find that mid-level employees are entitled, careless and inexperienced.

Aug 31, 2018 – Director, Employee Services

Thank you for sharing your feedback. If you have additional ideas and suggestions please share them with your manager or the Employee Services team, through our weekly and quarterly engagement... More

"Work Alongside The Smartest People In The Industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're smart and looking to jump-start a career in digital marketing in Chicago, Rise is hands down the top pick. I have seen Rise produce some of the most talented & savvy individuals in the space.

The work done at Rise is industry/class-leading. When you have large players like Google, Bing, The Trade Desk, Forrester, Search Engine Land, and Facebook showcasing your work and referring to your strategies and tactics as class-leading, you know the work you are doing is truly exceptional.

At Rise you learn a lot and you learn it quick. Risers' who do great work and are committed to both growing our clients and company are afforded the opportunity to take on responsibilities that may be above their title or scope of work. As you develop you are empowered to explore, create and improve processes and solutions that help fuel performance and the business.

Almost everyone in a leadership position at the company has been developed internally. Rise promotes almost exclusively from within, meaning dedication pays off for the individuals who stick with it and want to grow with the company.

The company has also made a massive shift towards internal transparency. The CEO, Jon, regularly shares company updates including the company's finances, progress towards goals, and future plans at all hands meetings and hosts ask me anything sessions to address anonymous concerns from staff.

Work life balance at Rise is pretty great. The vast majority of the company works between 45-50 hours a week (outside of a smattering of crazier weeks), which is pretty low considering the industry Rise is in and that a lot of the company takes an hour lunch break everyday. There is a very flexible work from home and remote worker policy as well allowing employees more flexibility in seeing a doctor, staying at home to let a repair man in, etc.

Other perks:
    -Promotions and raises are often very generous
    -Health & parental leave benefits are unmatched in the industry
    -401K Match, Student Loan Repayment, Commuter Benefits
    -Generous amount of PTO, increasing with tenure
    -Fun, casual, updated office environment with all the snacks, coffee, cold brew, flavored water you could ask for
    -Bonus structures based on company performance

Cons

Rise is still trying to catch up with company growth. There have been growing pains, but I would consider them normal for a company in our industry and of our size. Where we are as a company today is so much further ahead of where we were even one year ago, but we still have some ground to cover.

During my tenure there have been a few restructures as a result of volatility in company growth, but I think we are pretty far past that now. Sometimes Rise wins a large amount of business in a short period of team requiring teams to staff up and train new hires quickly. Sometimes we lose a large piece of business that affects our ability to hit revenue forecasts and can be stressful on the workforce.

A lot of the stress on the workforce has subsided though. The company is profitable and earlier this year Quad Graphics took on majority ownership of Rise. Both of these factors has afforded Risers' a greater sense of security in the company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The changes made over the last year are working and we're heading in the right direction.

Keep focused on fostering top talent and growing our client list as well as providing stability and loyalty to your employees.

Aug 12, 2018 – Director, Employee Services

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Please continue to do so through our weekly and quarterly engagement surveys,all-hands meetings, lunches with the President or the Employee Services Team. Your... More

"A little bumpy, but onward and upward"

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are amazingly talented and smart individuals that work at Rise. It's easy to forget the quality of workers at Rise until you talk to your friends about what their co-workers are like.

The benefits are absolutely amazing. Rise's benefits are by far the best you'll get at an ad agency. Benefits include: great PTO with more each year you're there, WFH days, commuter benefits, top-of-the-line health care plans, dental, vision, help with student loans, random rewards for doing good things (gift cards, extra days off), great parental leave, gym membership, and more.

If you work your butt off, you'll get promoted. Sometimes it does take a little pushing/proof that you deserve the promotion, but it happens. Raises are great with each promotion.

Cons

There has been a lot of change during the time I have been at Rise. When I started, Rise was more of a start-up than it is today. With a start-up culture comes some liberties. With growth came processes and new goals that a lot of Risers were not excited about. It was hard to understand why our goals changed, and how we were performing against our goals. There is still a lot of autonomy and willingness to hear new ideas.

There was a lack of transparency for quite some time. There was constantly whispering and uneasy feelings during end of Q4 and beginning of Q1 2018. With the new CFO, Quad becoming the parent company, and feedback to the upper management, there has been a lot of effort to fix the lack of transparency. There has been an "ask me anything" where the employees can ask the CEO anything they want (anonymous form). The new CFO walked through goals with very transparent numbers with our current performance to those goals.

Due to the original lack of transparency, there has been a lot of recent turnover at the company. This turnover can cause some frustrations among the employees when waiting for new hires/getting them ramped up.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent. This is what the workforce needs to trust and believe in you. Create more committees that people can be a part of. This is how people feel invested in a company.

Aug 12, 2018 – Director, Employee Services

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you think our level of transparency is improving. We have been working hard to provide the necessary information to Risers that will... More

"Two Stars To Be Fair"

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It wouldn't be right to give Rise a one star review since the company does do a really good job of attracting young and talented employees. If you are a young person looking to make friends, Rise is a great place to do this. While this isn't related to the work done at the company, the fact that your friends are smart and being overworked does lead to a high volume of output. Not sure that's a pro though, seeing as that only relates to company efficiencies. A great segue into the cons.

Cons

Rise does do a good job of squeezing everything they can out of their employees. They call it culture, but most people call it unethical. Of course, if they were paying their employees anywhere close to enough, the 50-60 hour work weeks wouldnt be as big of a deal. Regardless, no one should be working that much in the first place, so the issue remains quite relevant.

A major flaw with the organization is the lack of structure that exists for any type of training. This is in reference to both the team you join, and if you would like training from any other team. Because of the rigidity of the hours system used at Rise, you will have no time to train or be trained on anything. This also means that when you have less hours when starting at the company, no one will be able to train you properly because they are being overworked. This will have massive long-term effects on how you perform with the company since you never really learned how to think and strategize appropriately for your position.

Promotions are completely arbitrary and often completely unrelated to performance. The most common promotion indicator used at Rise is the length of time spent on a team. These promotions are sketched out from day one, and the only thing you can do to break out of the schedule is to be well-liked by a friend who can talk to their boss to put you next in line IF there is an unusual need to promote off schedule. Promotions are also based on how long you've been on a specific team, regardless of how much experience you have at Rise. If you decide to switch teams, you will be treated as if it is your first day at the company.

The structure of the company is so that if you are on a channel team, you will be paid far less than the account managers who are talking directly to the client. This is flawed in both ways, since the account managers are expected to be on call 24/7 since they are getting paid more. This also creates tension between the two teams and ultimately has led to an extremely flawed structure that will inevitably self-implode if it isn't doing that at this very moment.

This one is short - the company thinks chips are more important to employees than higher salaries.

Let's face it, Rise. You've heard this all before. You won't do anything to change these behaviors. You keep the same top-level execs employed because you are friends. But none of you are willing to actually listen. You stand in front of us at a company-wide meeting and proclaim, "People aren't leaving because of salary! Our data says so! Anyone who says otherwise is wrong!" I can do math, I looked at that data and saw the "reasons for leaving" added up to 100%. No one has only one reason for leaving, this doesnt make sense. You are manipulating feedback so it tells you what you want to hear. Stop doing that, clean house, and start from scratch. Yeah it's drastic, but I don't think your status quo alternative is much healthier for business. I truly hope things get better, because I did love my time at the company (for what it's worth). I just didn't love it for any reason I can attribute to the company itself.

I want to see Rise win, that is why I'm leaving this review.

Advice to Management

Listen, that's literally it.

Aug 31, 2018 – Director, Employee Services

Thank you for your feedback. Our goal is to make this a great place for all of our employees and we will continue to work towards that goal.

"Do not work here"

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The free coffee is great

Cons

*Work-Life Balance. Be prepared to work 60 hours a week with horrendous pay
    *Executive team. Everything comes from the CEO and everyone else is a puppet
    *Cash flow negative. Quad will take over soon enough
    *Transparency. Most information given is a lie
    *Layoffs. LOTS
    *Outsource. If someone leaves then they replace them in South America

Advice to Management

Nothing will change unless new leaders are put in place. I heard they asked leaders to write good reviews to push the bad ones down

Aug 17, 2018 – Director, Employee Services

We are sorry to see how unhappy you are at Rise. As Jon Morris, our CEO, mentioned at a recent All-Hands Meeting, we want you to enjoy your work. If you do not, then he offered to help any individual... More