Rise Interactive Reviews

Updated Aug 3, 2020

Rise Interactive CEO Larry Fisher
Larry Fisher
Pros
  • "Digital Marketing Experts: If you're looking to learn(in 17 reviews)

• "Rise has a strong focus on building a company culture driven by success(in 12 reviews)

Cons

"See the forest not the trees"

5.0

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Young, fun culture Flexible work style Innovative Open Collaborative An opportunity you won't get anywhere else

Cons

A few toxic employees and former employees who think they have all the answers

May 8, 2019Director, Employee Services

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Please continue to share your thoughts and ideas on how we can improve our workplace through Glint, during ask me anything events, lunches with senior leaders or directly with the Employee Services team and/or the Diversity and Inclusion Committee.

2. "If you’re not growing..."

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Teams that are encouraging, compassionate, friendly Various social opportunities Chances to develop professionally Each day brought new challenges Snacks Beer

Cons

There were multiple times in a day where it felt like herding cats. Sometimes, those cats had puppies and then someone had to herd both!

3. COVID-19

"Make Rise your plan B or C"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- good office location - good PTO and WFH policies - good health benefits - gym in building - very smart, dedicated, and talented individuals around the company

Cons

- below market-value salaries - high turn-over rates - very little revenue growth - very little opportunity for career advancement - very little opportunity for learning - mostly young, inexperienced staff - financially unstable business (and this was before COVID) - disgusting office space (think stained carpets, dirty walls, conference rooms that smell, old and stained furniture) - open-office layout leads to constant spread of germs and sickness throughout the year - highly inexperienced leadership (from their associate managers, to their directors to their VPs and above, there is a shockingly low amount of actual industry experience found compared to the titles that some individuals have (if it isn't obvious, they do this to save money)) - some of their benefits are just lip-service. Expect HR leadership to ignore you if you actually try and leverage these benefits (assume the company can't financially afford most of the benefits they offer - and may role them back any day now). FOR THOSE LOOKING FOR A JOB: Rise is a good opportunity for those that want to make a career out of managing PPC/Paid Media campaigns. If this is your passion, you are right out of school, and you have no other options, then Rise might be good for you. If you are struggling to find a job anywhere else, and are getting desperate, Rise might be a good plan B or C. But if you are looking to do more than that, there are better, more established, and more financially stable agencies out there that will provide better salaries, better opportunities to advance your career, and more experienced teams to learn from. Overall I would consider Rise to be more of a starter agency than an "industry leader". And, in my own opinion, I don't expect the business model to hold up to the test of time. And last thing: if you've decided you want to work here, DEMAND an additional 20 - 25% increase during the salary negotiation or walk away. They may say "oh, sorry, this is as high as we can go...we have a salary cap for this position....etc etc". This is all BS. KNOW YOUR WORTH, GET WHAT YOU DESERVE, OR WALK AWAY.

July 7, 2020Employee Services

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your time at Rise. We are sorry to hear that it was not the best experience for you and wish you well in your next endeavor.

4. COVID-19

"Good Company but always room to improve"

Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have made strides in being transparency. Hours are manageable No Furloughs during COVID

Cons

Not a very diverse leadership Still give roundabout answers Sometimes unclear about direction of the company

June 7, 2020Employee Services

Thank you for sharing your feedback. A great way to learn more about Rise's direction and to ask questions is to attend our All-Hands Meetings where we discuss our strategy and one, three, and five years goals. Our Ask Me Anything sessions also allow employees to ask questions to provide clarity on any organizational topic. As we have discussed over the last week, we are focused on diversity and inclusion at Rise and will work with employees on taking the best possible steps to do so. You can also reach out to Employee Services at any time to discuss any topic.

"Great first marketing job, not great long term"

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really great for smart people to learn quickly. If you like trial by fire, you will love it here. Decent perks Great people

Cons

Leadership is way to slow to move on things that matter, yet they pull the trigger on things that they don't have visibility into Morale problems Top heavy pay structure Churn model Expect some long days

April 30, 2020Employee Services

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

6. "Great agency to start"

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very hands on experience, they throw you right into it and teach you along the way. Great place to dive into media planning and learn fast

Cons

Management is very unaware of the day-to-day, surprisingly so for a small agency in comparison to the large players.

February 13, 2020Employee Services

Thank you for the feedback. We are glad to hear that you had the opportunity to learn a great deal during your time at Rise. We will continue to gather feedback from current and departing employees in order to proactively address turnover and ensure that management is aware of the issues. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

7. "Great company culture - Great place to work"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Meet new friends very quickly. A ton of involvement in external extra curricular activities.

Cons

Growth opportunities are limited. Acquired by QUAD could be effecting company uprising.

November 8, 2019Employee Services

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Please continue to share your thoughts and ideas on how we can improve our workplace through Glint, during ask me anything events, lunches with senior leaders or directly with the Employee Services team. This also includes asking questions about our relationship with Quad and how we work together to drive our business forward.

"Great Company Culture, Poor Salaries & Growth Opps"

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall, I really enjoyed my time at Rise Interactive and it makes me sad it ended abruptly. I don't regret my decision to leave in the slightest, but I have plenty of positive things to say about Rise. The best part is by far the people - the place is like one big family and there is a real sense of community. I met some of my best friends at Rise Interactive, and learned more about digital marketing than I ever could have imagined in a short amount of time. Other pros include... +Solid Benefits Package (Health Care in Particular) +Work Social Events/Happy Hours +Great Learning Opportunities +Work From Home Days +Work/Life Balance is Usually Fine +At Rise, you learn some of the best tactics & strategies in the game, and you will go on to other places and teach people the "Rise" way. +Employee Services staff is GREAT - they really value everyone's feedback and try to make the workplace better. Rise was a fun, supportive, and nurturing atmosphere, great for anyone right out of college or with limited digital experience. Plus, external recruiters will tell you that one year at Rise is worth multiple at other agencies - other competitor agencies love recruiting from Rise.

Cons

Salaries, especially for media channel members, are far too low. You start the job and immediately feel underpaid given the incredible amount of work you do, and the amount of revenue you drive for the company. What's even more frustrating is that no matter how hard you try to prove yourself, promotions are seldom based off of merit. It's literally about gaps in the organizational chart, tenure, if a wave of employees quit, or if a new client requires a senior level IMC. There is a total lack of transparency around this process and it makes you question: what am I working this hard for? Other cons include... -Lack of growth opportunities - as a media channel member, you basically have to wait for an AM to quit to get promoted, no matter how hard you work, otherwise you are stuck at the Senior IMC level for eternity. -Because promotions are not based off of merit, there are too many managers unqualified for their positions. You get managers who have no idea how to manage time, projects, and most importantly people. -Some middle & upper managers are so removed from the day-to-day they couldn't answer basic questions about their channel. -People quit in massive waves, management never sees it coming and is blindsided, throwing things into chaos. -Certain media channels are very afraid of automating basic tasks, like bidding for example. Some employees would spend hours doing bidding and budget pacing every morning - completely inefficient and certain to make anyone sick of their job. -The account management/media channel divide - this departmental split works on some accounts but doesn't on others. There are too many "account managers" that have little knowledge about digital marketing and cannot properly communicate to clients. This creates a lot of headaches and conflicts between the two teams, and ultimately leads to AMs overpromising and Rise underdelivering.

July 12, 2019Vice President, Employee Services

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your time at Rise. We are certainly glad to hear the many positive comments and appreciate the outlining of your areas of concern. As you noted, we are listening and working to implement a number of things to continue to improve our work environment including the new merit/performance review process, Rise Life, promotion/job posting policy, quarterly conversations, career pathing, and compensation analysis. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

"Start your career or go clear"

1.0
    Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Snacks, Gym Membership, Friendly Office/Admin Team

Cons

Rise is what's wrong with capitalism. While you may grow your career, it will come at a cost. Employees are numbers and clients are money. Lack of known company ethics means it hasn't been a top priority to be transparent or self-aware about the clients they take on, let alone the lack of resource infrastructure to take on new work. Disparate inter-team processes are only the tip of the iceberg. You either get out or drink the complacent cool-aid further supporting an environment that centers on the cis white male culture that so desperately needs POC/women at the helm. Back to priorities, you get this. There is sexual harassment that is managed by brushing it under the rug and leaders who do not follow policy and protect the accused. Not a feminist workplace to say the least.

August 13, 2019Employee Services

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Over the past few years, Rise has done a great deal of work to improve our workplace including listening to employee feedback and reviewing data (including Glassdoor posts). The continued improvement in employee engagement scores and commentary and reduced retention are strong indicators of improvement in those areas. In addition, annual Harassment and Discrimination Training has educated our employees and managers on how we can all work together to address those issues. Our policy and actions clearly outline our commitment to addressing any concerns relative to any type of harassment or discrimination. Of course, we do have areas we need to continue to work on including diversity, equity and inclusion as well as improved processes and procedures that can allow us all to work more effectively and efficiently. We are certainly disappointed to hear that you had such a negative experience at Rise and will use your feedback to continue to work hard towards making this the best possible work environment for all Risers.

"Big vision but fails executing with poor ethics and leadership culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, nice office, some smart and fun people

Cons

Hours worked are valued more than impact, bit of an old boys club

May 19, 2019Director, Employee Services

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback.

Found 143 reviews