Rise Interactive Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rise Interactive Founder & CEO Jon Morris
Jon Morris

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • My first few weeks working here I learned more about digital marketing than I did in the past year combined (in 12 reviews)

• Company culture is eclectic and electric (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Other reviewers have stated it - work/life balance is basically non-existent (in 12 reviews)

• While this creates amazing opportunities, it also sometimes create growing pains (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Unique and outside the box (Completely Organic Review)"

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time

Pros

*Variety of free refreshments: fresh fruit, vegetables, coffee machines, tea, and flavored water machine
    *Student loan assistance
    *Free gym on site
    *Commuter benefits
    *Parental leave, both for new moms and dads
    *Encouraging, welcoming and supportive teams
    *Energetic, diverse culture
    *Growth opportunities
    *Challenging, various tasks
    *Happy hours and other company wide social events
    *Free beer, wine and other treats on Fridays

Overall, being a part of Rise is an exciting adventure! The Executives are down to earth - they join you for lunch, treat you to lunch, take you out for coffee, take you out to events or will have a drink with you. Everyone is responsive and works to achieve the goal - whether it's client related or if it's your own personal development. Your brain will definitely get a workout here as well - new challenges arise frequently. This should be expected as the internet is a changing, competitive market. You're not "pigeon-holed" either. Rise Interactive is a place where you have plenty of opportunity to learn, grow and gain a lot of experience.

Cons

Sometimes the place can get noisy - usually celebrating a win, but other times it's challenge related and everyone is trying to solve the challenge. Communication can be an issue as well - you could find yourself asking for the needed direction that was originally neglected, causing rework.

Advice to Management

Keep on being down to earth and utilize those who are ambitious to make Rise a memorable experience that is different from others!

Sep 5, 2017 – Director, Employee Services

Thank you for the review and feedback. We are glad to see that you have highlighted many of our favorites things about our work environment from the challenging work and opportunities to some of our... More

"Great if you're 22, get out immediately after"

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time

Pros

You will learn a lot of random stuff pertaining to digital marketing. This place is a wonderful stepping stone. For that reason: 5/5 stars. Unfortunately there's a lot more to work than it being a means to an end. So...we move on.

If you like chips, they give you chips and snacks. Don't ask for a raise though, that's chip money, pal!

They have a nice $10,000 coffee machine. Boy does it make the best coffee ever! Wouldn't it have been great if that money went to the employee salaries? No, of course it wouldn't. Otherwise we wouldn't have a coffee machine!

Do you really enjoy a glass ceiling? Ah, Rise has one of the biggest and best in all of Chicago. That glass is real sturdy.

Cons

No middle management. Nope. It doesn't exist. You work tirelessly and no one can help you. Your manager is there to listen to your concerns and voice those same concerns about their own career to their manager. You can ask for a raise but they will make you list reasons why you're deserving. Trust me, I had this day. I asked for an industry-average amount of money, and thankfully I found a place that could pay me that.

Another con is they're trying to do anything but pay you more. If you speak up against them, they will fire you. Since my departure, they have cleaned out the place.

They make you time track everything. They even make you time track the time you spend time tracking.

Advice to Management

Oh, gosh. I have none. Management doesn't care about Glassdoor. They used to be a 4.0 in 2016...

Oct 31, 2017 – Director, Employee Services

Thank you for the review. Rise does, in fact, care about Glassdoor feedback and this response is an indication of our concern. We recently launched a new employee survey platform, are conducting exit... More

"Executive Administrator"

Former Employee - Executive Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Administrator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual dress and come and go as you please

Cons

Very juvenile and backstabbing environment. If you are smart, that wont be rewarded. If you can cheerlead aged men with titles not commensurate with their expirience then youll do just fine.

Advice to Management

Jon should gut the place and get seasoned officers verses frat friends.

Oct 19, 2017 – Director, Employee Services

Thank you for your feedback. Rise has worked hard over the course of the year to hire industry leaders and experts to continue to improve the diversity of thought and experience. This has led to... More

"Rise was a disappointment on so many levels."

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are still some fantastic, highly intelligent people who work at Rise, despite all the chaos and drama.

The health benefits are top-notch. Many of the entry-level employees don't realize this because they have never had to worry about health insurance coverage before, but as someone who has had several jobs in digital, the benefits are truly amazing.

Other perks include: free gym membership, free snacks, nice kitchen area, relaxed dress code.

Cons

One of the cons that bothered me from the start is that 100% of the executive leadership team is white males who have known each other for years and years. The only real diversity that exists in the company (on an intersectional level) is among the most entry-level positions, and even among those positions, diversity is scarce. It's sad, but until that changes, I honestly don't think much progress (think top-down) will be made among any of the issues mentioned here.

Work/life balance and lack of resource management is by far the number one issue I personally faced and that so many of my coworkers faced at Rise. It honestly became unbearable; 70 hour weeks were a regular occurance. The Sales and Account Management teams have little to no idea how to scope for new client projects because they are not the one's physically executing the digital marketing campaigns. Consequently, Account Management constantly questions and distrusts the channel teams use of billable time, causing constant friction between internal teams.
    The root of this problem is that since Sales and Account Management are directly client facing, they make endless promises in order to win business quickly, and this has an incredibly negative domino effect on all of the execution channel teams. Due to the lack of accurate scoping, lack of clear project timelines, and lack of general resource management, your personal life, mental health and relationships will likely suffer as mine did while working at Rise.

In some cases, Consultants and Account Managers are worked until they become emotionally distraught or physically ill (there is an ex-Riser emotional support group, that is a real thing). Most people describe being "scarred" by Rise, and I know for a fact that I was. I was so overworked that I honestly felt like I was in a blur for so many months. I felt stuck and even brainwashed at times because the pressure to perform at lightning speed was so encouraged at Rise that it became habitual. A part of me actually bought-in to it all (The "Rise Way" of "Being All In" and "Providing Remarkable Experiences") for several months thinking my insane, unhealthy work ethic would help get me promoted sooner or perhaps help me gain the recognition needed to help push through to the next level. As that premise faded and as my understanding of the lack of leadership and organization developed, I was able wake up to reality with the support of friends and family and started looking for new opportunities.

If you decide to take a sick or PTO day to compensate for being so overworked, you'll likely still be emailed/called/texted throughout the day with random requests, thus fueling the resentment cycle again and again. There is no protection or boundaries put in place to prevent this from this happening. Rise's work culture is modeled from the top-down.

Emails are sent out at all hours of the day, 7 days a week, by all levels of the organization. This brews a culture of "you should always be checking online, always thinking about work" no matter if you are at a family funeral or trying to enjoy spring break in the Caribbean with your best friends. Looking back on this, I deeply regret missing out on several special family moments due to being so caught up with the work pressure I was under.

The work environment seems pretty nice when you are given your initial tour of the space (Nap pods that no one uses? Check. Fancy lights that make it seem like you're going to be working in a night club? Check.), but within 1 month of working at Rise you'll experience uncomfortable, cramped spaces and headaches from the loud noises. As another reviewer put it, it’s a frat-house type of atmosphere that is obnoxious and at times literally impossible to work in (at least once a day you'll hear an F-bomb being shouted around the office, people talking over one another, etc. ). There is so little personal space or privacy to get work done with the current "open concept" set-up of high-school looking lunch tables and large monitors overflowing on top of one other. I remember feeling professionally embarrassed on many occasions when guests were in the office.

There is also no formal management training program, which, as you can imagine, will cause a world of issues across the entire company. Since no training program is put in place, very young adults are promoted to management levels after 1 year without ever being taught how to manage a team or several workflows. Due to the knowledge gap here, many times it is the newest employees who suffer the most because their supervisors lack professional experience, clear expectations, resource management and emotional intelligence.

Pay is not competitive for many of the positions at Rise. I know past co-workers who quickly left and went to another agency that paid a full 15% higher for the same exact position, except now they work less hours and receive better treatment. Rise discourages salary negotiations and will tell you that you have the "highest possible" pay range for your position.

Rise has "All Hands Meetings" where the whole staff meets every other week. These meetings were required but after awhile they made me feel sick to my stomach because I felt like they were being used to drown employees with what I'll call the "Rise Kool-aid". The executives use this meeting to fluff up employees for the week using the same regurgitated Rise-branded language. These meetings were too long, extremely repetitive, and felt disingenuous.

Advice to Management

It's pretty simple: if you respect your employees' time, their personal lives, their hard work, and their health, they will stay loyal to you. If you don't, they will most certainly leave. Hire new executives from the outside who recognize this simple concept and start creating much-needed change at Rise.

Sep 5, 2017 – Director, Employee Services

I'm truly sorry to hear that your time at Rise was such a disappointment. Many of the areas you have commented on directly are being addressed by senior leadership and our Employee Services team from... More

"Honestly, a pretty good place to work"

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to learn a lot about the industry and learn it quick, Rise is a pretty good pick. In comparison to other "digital" agencies in the city, the people at Rise are definitely the most knowledgable about the space. Have seen a lot of people "grow-up" at Rise starting as entry level employees and quickly moving through the agency. Amount of effort put in reflects the amount of opportunity given. Those who treat Rise as a 9-5 job typically don't move up or grow at the company. Those who come in and really try to do their best work are rewarded.

Rise has a pretty heavy focus on feedback, each week managers and their reports have 30 min in person meetings to ensure everyone gets face-time with their boss. No concept of yearly reviews. Feedback, promotions, raises don't come on a set cadence.

Great culture and benefits are above average in comparison to other agencies. Healthcare is mostly paid by Rise. Snacks, coffee, cold brew in the cafe. WFH policy, etc.

Cons

Some reorganizations over the last year were confusing, but the company seems to be in a pretty good place now.

Lots of new business poses some challenges with staffing/training

Growing means challenges that seemed small before are larger issues now

Advice to Management

Be a bit more proactive than reactive when it comes to challenges facing the company. Getting out in front of issues before they become problems will only help keep the company moving forward

Aug 30, 2017 – Director, Employee Services

Thank you for the review and honest feedback. We are working on improving the work experience and environment and while we have faced some challenges as we grow we are confident we can continue to... More

6. "SR AE"

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time

Pros

Loads of pros besides the pay

Cons

Not a ton of cons, outside of pay

"Chaos"

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time

Pros

There are a few great employees at Rise that make it a company worth sticking around for. However, most of them have already left or are currently in the process of leaving.

The benefits that Rise offers are unrivaled and hard to say no to.

Cons

No organization or planning. Teams don't talk to each other. Client fire drills occur every day, and usually a few times a day. No real sense of purpose. My time spent at Rise taught me what I didn't want to do with my career.

Advice to Management

Spend less time focused on growth and more time on the employees and clients you already have.

Sep 5, 2017 – Director, Employee Services

As the title of your post says, things can feel a bit chaotic in our work environment. We move quickly with a great sense of urgency to meet the needs of our clients and that, coupled with, rapid... More

"Work hard and grow your career at Rise"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I did not write this review to be a direct response to any of the recent reviews, but where appropriate I will provide another point of view that perhaps some of the former Risers who weren’t with the company as long did not find the opportunity to understand. Not to say what was said isn’t valid, but there are additional perspectives to consider. I’ll also compare Rise to what I’ve heard from peers in other agencies. I have not worked at another agency before, so my insight is limited only to what I know and what I’ve been told by friends at other agencies.
    There are easy tangibles to identify as pros of working at Rise: 18 days PTO (currently bumps up after 5 years with the company), paid company holidays, work from home flexibility when needed, 401K match (not best in the industry, but we’re still a growing company), student loan assistance, plenty of snacks, holiday party and employee appreciation day, and such.
    But when asked what do I like at my job, here’s what I say:
    • The people that I get to work with are super smart. At every level and in every role of the company, Risers are sharp and interesting people. They’re fun to work with, quick to laugh, but also dependable and hard-working teammates that constantly make me think “I would not have been able to solve that problem without ____.” When you spend all day surrounded by people you genuinely enjoying working with and spending time with, it’s easy to look forward to a day in the office. The excitement we have for our work on a day-to-day basis is contagious.
    • From day one as an entry-level employee, the work I’ve gotten to do is more strategic than any of my previous experiences. Rise teaches and empowers you to think like a business owner, and view marketing as a vehicle to drive business outcomes. We’re not just digital marketers -- we’re business strategists, and we have that level of partnership with many of our clients. We work together to understand who our client’s customers are, their purchase journey, the products/services would resonate with customers, the potential weaknesses of the offering, etc. I could go on & on, but I’ll just say that I feel lucky every day to be put in roles where I’m able to think this way and build/execute strategies that I believe in.
    • Senior management cares a great deal about its employees. There have been statements in previous reviews about layoffs, and I think it’s important to recognize that letting employees go is a healthy and necessary part of running a business. Rise doesn’t take these decisions lightly, and has programs in place before a termination happens to explain the employee’s performance and provide a roadmap for improvement. Rise is an intense culture, and nobody is doing anybody any favors by keeping folks around who may not be performing at the level needed to be happy and successful in their careers. It’s easy for a former employee to tell their side of the story on Glassdoor, but senior management inherently can’t publicly address the reasoning for every hiring or termination decision that is made.
    • Compared to other agency experiences, here are the biggest differences I see:
    o At Rise you likely will work on multiple accounts. This gives you varied experience and job security as your employment is typically not dependent on one client. This also means that your workday can become hectic when unexpected needs arise across multiple accounts. This is reality of the job, and it can be stressful. That said, working at Rise has forced me to work on myself and stress management, and as a result I’m the most happy and balanced version of myself I’ve ever been.
    o If you work hard, you’ll have the opportunity to advance quickly. Like any company, promotions are not solely merit-based, as they are also dependent on the state of the business at a given point in time. That said, based on what I’ve heard from friends in other agencies, it sounds like you can be waiting much longer to see a promotion in other places. With a lot of hard work, I have experienced promotions and expanded responsibility at a pace I could not have achieved anywhere else.
    o The final comments I want to respond to are about external senior hires and internal middle management. Rise has successfully brought on many seasoned professionals with 10+ years experience in the past year to take on VP and Director roles across the organization. Senior leadership wants to build the best team possible – and that includes external hires and internal promotions. Yes, some of the middle managers have fewer years’ experience and have been promoted internally. Yes, that means they are going to make mistakes. Rise runs by a learning culture where failure is a part of learning. If you are looking for / expecting a work environment where the kinks have all been worked out, you will likely be unhappy at Rise. This doesn’t mean Rise is a bad place to work – but it is a better cultural match is for people who are comfortable with a changing environment and excited by the opportunity to contribute to and shape how processes develop. With all of these growing pains comes opportunity to lead improvement initiatives and have a real say in how our company evolves.

Cons

Yes, there are challenges in growing at the rate that Rise has grown, and at times there are internal conflicts and silos... just like at any other company.
    • Working at Rise is hard. The expectations are high, the staff is lean at times, and the work is demanding and challenging. For those looking for a 9-5, you will likely be unhappy at Rise. This means the environment can be stressful, and work/life balance becomes challenging during times of high workload. However, this translates to meaningful work and those who thrive at Rise find their hard work rewarding. That said, 12 hour days do not last forever, and managers are reasonable and flexible recognizing the need to find ways to make the workload manageable. Hours are not fixed, and you have control over how to get the work done. Basically: you should come to Rise expecting to work hard. If you enjoy tackling challenges with a group of motivated coworkers, you’ll find the cyclical harder hours are very much worth it.
    • The lack of process at times can be frustrating. Communication challenges across teams can be frustrating. The reason I see this as less extreme than the reviews indicate is because I believe Rise’s issues in these areas are on par with what you would encounter in most professional situations. Rise has found growth and success by hiring people who would rather work together to fix an identified issue than complain about it.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower your employees to do great work. Continue your work keeping a pulse on employee engagement -- it means a lot to those of us who recognize the effort it takes.

"Ignore the Positive Reviews...They're Outdated (Or Sponsored)"

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some great people while working at Rise. Most of the people that work here are in their early/late 20's and 30's and are very friendly and outgoing. I still consider some of my co-workers my closest friends, which I am thankful for.

The insurance coverage is also great here - you can't find much better, actually, especially for an agency.

Cons

Aside from the people and benefits, I have nothing good to say about my experience working at Rise. The managers have no idea what they're doing (they're not trained) and will constantly berate or micromanage you. During my time here, I even witnessed an upper-level management director screaming at the top of his lungs and swearing at his direct report. Although I graduated college at the top of my class, I was made to feel stupid every day I worked here. Now that I have finally left Rise and found my place elsewhere, I am finally able to grow in my career and not be fearful of sharing new ideas or dread going to work every day. I am SO much happier now; leaving this place was the best decision of my life.

Also, beware...I have heard from inside sources that handfuls of people have been fired recently, which the company has tried to cover up time and time again with bright promises of the future. While Rise sells itself as "the fastest growing digital marketing agency" in the country, it is not growing in terms of employment. Rather, Rise is cutting costs and "trimming the fat" of the company, forcing its employees to work longer hours and burn out faster. In fact, all of my friends agreed while working at Rise that they were just as burned out as I was.

Please take my advice and don't work here, or you will truly regret it. I know I read these reviews and thought, "Ohhh, I'm different. Only angry people write these negative reviews". But that is far from the truth with Rise. I agree with every negative review posted here recently. Learn from my mistakes, please, and take this review to heart.

Sep 5, 2017 – Director, Employee Services

As a rapidly growing organization there is a lot of opportunity for people to move into management level roles which is great for their personal and professional growth. That being said, not everyone... More

"Micromanagement, office politics, and drama"

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time

Pros

* Benefits, free snacks, and free beer are all good.
    * Good experience in advertising.

Cons

* There are too many stakeholders and they all want different things. Even if you have one official manager, you still have to answer to many other managers. Making them all happy is impossible. Micromanagement, office politics, and lack of trust are constant.
    * Rise is a very dramatic company. Every week has at least one fire drill.
    * Pressure to make you work weekends is common. People care much more about how often you work than what kind of work you do. They count the number of hours you work each week and get mad if it's not enough.
    * Turnover is very high.

Sep 5, 2017 – Director, Employee Services

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are glad to hear that Rise provided you with good experience in the advertising industry and truly hope that has served you well as you have moved into... More