KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Updated Sep 23, 2021

Found 223 of over 227 reviews

Ruby CEO Kate Winkler
Kate Winkler
Pros
  • "The leadership continues to develop and provide excellent examples for receptionists(in 20 reviews)

• "Consistent, good pay scale, great benefits, forward thinking company, inclusive(in 14 reviews)

• Cons
  • "You talk to frustrated callers many times a day(in 33 reviews)

• "As an example, when I started Ruby pushed hard to have their receptionists meet stats(in 32 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Ruby and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great job, good pay, great benefits

Aug 14, 2021 - Chat Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Ruby is awesome! Great benefits, perks, pay, and more! Great place to work

Cons

Only thing I did not like was not being able to get my schedule changed so I was stuck with a not so good schedule.

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 3.0

It’s a mixed hat

Sep 23, 2021 - Virtual Receptionist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pretty good compensation. Got insurance after 3 months, with vision and dental, a 401k after 6, and there is a structured pay increase for every 6 months.

Cons

When I left there were issues with red floor and it was causing burn out in receptionists.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 3.0

Fine for what it was.

Sep 1, 2021 - Virtual Receptionist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun environment. Upbeat staff and people. Downtown location is close to lots of good food.

Cons

Overly focused on availability statistics and getting as much out of you as possible. Likely to feel feel burnt out after a couple of years unless they change their approach.

3 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Former Employee

Inclusive but Not Perfect

Aug 25, 2021 - Customer Support Specialist in Wichita, KS
      Business Outlook

Pros

Loved the inclusivity of pronouns, and fun little anniversaries. Decent pay. Remote work is a benefit.

Cons

Timed by the minute. Bound by statisitics that make it difficult to have any flexibility. Micromanaging is the main reason I left.

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

The would push you until you drop

Sep 5, 2021 - Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

There's always something going an no one in here would ever get bored. It's always fast-paced, though not always exciting.

Cons

The campaigns never ends and they push you hard all the time. Even when you're already doing your hardest, they would still push you until you drop.

6 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Stay Away

Sep 16, 2021 - Receptionist
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Inclusive and respectful of pronouns

Cons

As a previous reviewer did, I waited over a month after quitting before writing this review in order to reflect and not react in the heat of the moment, but having a new employer that I love and actually treats me like a valued, respected human has only made how I feel about Ruby stronger. I want to preface this by saying that I genuinely liked this job when I started and I was good at it -- I performed above expectations, won awards, met some of my best friends, and enjoyed the silly things that reel you in like Space Kitten Pizza Party. It really seemed like a good place to work, but it ended up being the worst job I have ever had. Another reviewer described it as "inhumane," which may seem like an exaggeration but I couldn't think of a more fitting adjective. For the past year and a half, calls have been relentless and there is absolutely no time to breathe. The floor is ALWAYS "red," a state in which there are far more calls waiting than receptionists available to take them. This used to happen very rarely and when it did it lasted maybe half an hour. Management gaslit everyone for over a year, stressing that it "will get better in two weeks!" Every two weeks. For over a year. It seemed like they finally stopped lying shortly before I quit, but I don't know if it started up again since everyone I knew in the company either quit or was fired for not meeting arbitrary metrics. (Yes, fired. During a global pandemic, while the floor is overwhelmingly understaffed all the time. Brilliant call by the management -- lowering both the amount of employees and morale all at the very same time.) As a receptionist, you have to deal with a lot. You will have to put up with an overwhelming amount of verbal abuse every day. It got so bad toward the end of my tenure that when a caller would display basic human decency, I would genuinely thank them as if they were doing me a favor. At the same time, you have to put up with the stress of meeting unrealistic metrics while always having the looming threat of losing your job if you don't perform well enough or if you call out too often. This, on top of normal stress from this line of work and increased anxiety caused by a global pandemic, makes the stress and burnout almost debilitating. Ruby likes to stress how important mental health is but only allows for four sick days every six months before you get written up -- that is, if you have enough sick time to cover those days, which accrues at a whopping one hour per week. You used to be able to apply "swell" time and not have it count against you, but that time is now exclusively for the vacation days that will get denied most of the time no matter how far in advance you request them. They also give you one "wellness day" per quarter that is supposed to be used for mental and physical wellness, but it's treated like a vacation day so you can't actually take it when you need it. I could go on and on but bottom line: while I wouldn't recommend working with this company to anyone, I need to stress that if you suffer from mental illness in any capacity, DO NOT WORK HERE. It is not worth your health and safety, I promise you.

12 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Orwellian and Inhumane

Sep 2, 2021 - Virtual Receptionist in Beaverton, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you are homeless, this is a slightly better alternative to not having a job. And based on some of the hires that I saw, you'd have a good shot at getting it. Sincerely, the one positive about this place is most of my co-workers were pretty cool. I think it's a great way to make friends, as you will have shared trauma. Not a joke.

Cons

When I first started working at Ruby in 2017, it wasn't fantastic, but it was manageable. On average, we were getting about 10 seconds between calls, and the calls that we were answering were generally for businesses that should have an answering service. Sure, out of 200+ calls per day, I would get one or two spicy meatballs that would be stressful, but overall it was fine. In addition, if we were having a difficult day, we had a few different options. We could call out with PTO without needing to give a reason, or we could request a “trim”, which would allow us to leave work early for the day without pay. Both of those options came in handy when I would have a stressful day, which would happen fairly frequently. For context, I spent 6 years as an elementary teacher, and maybe had 5 bad days total. I would have a hard day at Ruby about once a month. This is because even if Ruby was the best company they could possibly be, you're still taking over 200 calls per day in a fake customer service voice, which is very emotionally draining. The fast pace can also be grueling. I felt like a small cog in a large machine, and I see from the other reviews that I’m not alone. The most difficult things that I had to deal with (at first) were difficult or tricky calls, or when the floor got really busy. Sometimes we would have periods of 30 minutes to an hour that were very busy, and we would have zero time between calls. We were always told to “buck up” and handle the red floor, and not get up for the bathroom or snacks during that time. Ok, fine. That’s not ideal, but we can deal with it. Then after that 30 minutes, we can take a breath and collect ourselves. Spoiler alert – The floor has been in a state of absolute non-stop craziness for the last 18 months. No breathing room whatsoever. Constant stress. Zero time between calls all day every day. And we were expected to just bend over and take it. One red flag that I should have noticed when I started working at Ruby is that I kept hearing from multiple sources that the general Portland area has been tapped out for talent, and anyone who has the skills to work at Ruby has already been hired and quit, due to Ruby’s terrible turnover rate. This led to the hiring of many people that had no business trying to work at Ruby in the first place. It is a fast-paced receptionist job, and new hires would come through that had no idea how to use a computer and were very awkward on phones. The following is a partial list of the anti-employee decisions that were made during my tenure: -Trimming was changed to a self-service program, making it much more difficult and stressful to try to trim during your shift. -Trimming was not available at all during the permanent red floor -A new attendance policy was instituted which automatically terminates a receptionist if they call out sick more than 5 times in a rolling 6 month period. Yikes. -The Parking and Outbound Call additional responsibilities were turned into a chore instead of a privilege by revamping the whole system without telling any of the receptionists before it happened. This completely changed the day-to-day for about 40 employees, nearly all of whom hated the change and how it was implemented. All for the sake of slightly better efficiency. -The pay scale was decimated, and it was presented to us as good news. Prior to the change, a 10 year tenured receptionist could expect to make about $27/hr, and after the change, that number became $23. It was unironically presented to the employees as a great change that we should all love because it is good for the long-term growth of the company. -”Monday Munchies”, which was one of the perks that they loved to tout, was canceled outright. -The method in which the stats were calculated were constantly changing. As soon as I got a good feel for the day and got a good flow, they would change the rules and I would have to learn how to do the job all over again. During the permanent red floor, and during covid, and during the time that everyone was already stressed to the max, they decided to change it again. During covid, callers have become a lot more difficult to deal with. Most of this is not directly due to managerial decisions at Ruby, but it definitely factors into your daily stress level. Taking constant and escalating abuse became a standard part of the job description. During covid, about one third of the people I talked to were extremely rude. They would often shout profanity or threaten us when they learned that we were an answering service, not the actual company they tried to call. In addition to the bevy of anti-employee decisions, one big stressor at Ruby is that it is nearly impossible to get promoted. I interviewed for a promotion 17 times during almost 4 years at Ruby. For context, I am a well-spoken person, and I have a college degree and management experience. I was also damn near the best receptionist at Ruby. All the receptionists knew me and most of them liked me. Yet, I’m a straight white male, which Ruby does not promote. I was told by Jill (the founder and former CEO) during my initial training that when she is considering applicants for a position, if the final two applicants are both men, she won’t hire either of them, and she will try again until she can find a woman who can do the job. That should have been my first red flag. But Ruby is so culty that they know how to use the perfect phrasing to deceive you and think that you are part of this big happy family. I was also informed that I didn’t get the job multiple times via form letter. I told management directly that it doesn’t feel great to hear that via email, and to please at least tell me in person. But of course, it was form letters only from then on. In addition to that, nearly every time that I wasn’t promoted, I was told that it was very close. They said that I “Almost got it”, and I should apply next time because they really want to see me in that position. I was stupid enough to believe that the first couple times. The 3 or 4 times that I did receive feedback, it was vague, unhelpful, non-actionable, or contradictory to previous feedback. During covid, I took it upon myself to bring it to the attention of “SCW” and “MB” (You know who I mean) that everyone was completely burned out. No response. I then said that it was getting so bad that we were all considering creating a union to have better working conditions. That got their attention, and I was able to have a video meeting with them. In no uncertain terms, I told them that the combination of the permanent red floor, influx in terrible callers, the attendance policy change, and the constantly changing expectations, the job had become literally inhumane. Guess what happened then? We got an email from “MB” telling us to just not be so stressed. Not helpful. I thought that I knew what unhappiness was. Wow, was I wrong. Before working at Ruby, I had zero mental health issues my entire life. Directly due to Ruby, I began having panic attacks and severe depression. I know that a lot of people look at these Glassdoor reviews as just a way to take a big steamy dump on the company, but please know that I am telling the truth here. This is a not a place that is habitable for humans. Please. Please. Please. Do not fall into their trap. This has been a public safety announcement. Also, during the BLM protests, it was announced that for Juneteenth, the Black employees could get that day off. JUST the black employees. That is obviously unethical and illegal, but that’s Ruby for you. Someone must have pointed that out to Kate (the new CEO), because we got an email the next day saying that everyone would get a day off. Then what did they do the next year? Make everyone work that day. I guess slavery didn’t happen anymore. Textbook virtue signaling. None of this is news to management. Everyone is aware that the situation is completely out of control. They’ve had 18 months to hire enough people to staff the floor properly, and they have failed to do so over and over. Management has been aware for a very long time about how literally every receptionist is burned out. They simply don’t care. I wish I could make this bold and in 100 point font. This is a cult. You have been warned.

21 people found this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Sep 4, 2021 - Receptionist in Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits Schedule Starting pay Co-workers Progressive policies

Cons

You will burn out. You will burn out fast. Why? Because even though you get lots of time off, you can never use it. Why? Because it is so busy that there is 0 time between calls and employees call out often. Why? See sentence number one. This place is fake. They pretend they care about you but they absolutely do not. Do not be fooled. You are a number. They have a revolving door. You receive less than two weeks of training which is not enough to prepare for the actual job. And then if you mess up even a little, it’s on you. Regardless of how little you were taught. People will yell at you. People will give you panick attacks. People will talk to you for several minutes and you will get in trouble for that too because your calls should be less than two minutes each. You will take 200 calls a day. Most of which are from upset callers. Just do yourself a favor and take advantage of the current job market and look elsewhere. There are plenty of better opportunities.

14 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

You'll notice most of the postive reviews are from management. Being a receptionist is awful.

Sep 2, 2021 - Receptionist in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

10/10 for inclusivity and use of proper pronouns. Wonderful coworkers who quickly become lifelong friends and absolutely deserve better than this place.

Cons

It is a GRIND. When I was hired I was promised breathing room between calls, but it was basically red floor my entire employment. Management blamed receptionists at every corner and refused to turn that mirror on themselves to see where THEY were failing. I've never felt so unsupported. The burnout was real. I really have nothing nice to except that my fellow teammates were rad and the place is super inclusive I also never got an approved day off because their scheduling department is trash. I had to just call in sick when I had doctor's appointments. I ended up quitting on a final warning for attendance. I've never had an issue with attendance at any job before or since.

11 people found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

It takes a strong person

Jun 28, 2021 - Receptionist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pros would be the pay is halfway decent and sometimes they understand mental health. I also like the goofy little things they'll share with the employees every so often and the occasional meetings with other employees.

Cons

Cons would be this place is STRESSFUL! I was told by a friend who works here as well that taking calls all day every day back to back would be stressful but I was like " hey, if I can run a restaurant all by myself with only one other employee, I can surely do this, right?" Although I can, it is extremely difficult to meet all expectations. You are allotted 22 minutes throughout the day to use the bathroom, get more coffee, or get a small smoke break in. Coaches encourage you to block these minutes up between your two hours in between breaks but upper management advises against this and tells you those minutes are for emergency bathroom breaks only. Having endometriosis makes this nearly impossible to only take "emergency" breaks. You are expected to make no errors which is virtually impossible taking 200+ calls a day. You have to finish the call and type out your entire message as well as close the call in 25 seconds or less and if you go over these few seconds then you are made to feel that you are not worth it. I have been asked by three coaches who weren't my manager if I'm even a good fit for Ruby. If that's not discouraging I don't l know what is. I've been here all of three months and contemplate if I made the right choice taking this job. Attendance expectations are very strict. Thankfully they have changed the policy where if you have tech issues they won't count against you but with the burn out the receptionists are feeling, it wouldn't surprise me if everyone started having "tech issues" just to catch a breather. I keep waiting on the "green floor" that is promised to us every two weeks because it would be so nice to have 3 seconds between calls. I truly hate bad mouthing a company but the reviews that are left saying they have unreasonably high expectations, are definitely true. Of course, I'll tough it out and continue to try my best until they decide my best isn't good enough and terminate me.

16 people found this review helpful