SANDOW Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Adam I Sandow

Pros
  • SANDOW provides a great work environment and prides itself on being a roll-up-your-sleeves and get it done type of environment (in 5 reviews)

• Opportunities to grow within your market and grow your own business and make things happen in your own market (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management could never implement corporate standers due to the fact none of them worked in a corporate environment (in 6 reviews)

• Additionally, employee morale is low, health benefits cost a fortune, and turnover is high (in 2 reviews)

1. "A nice place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SANDOW full-time

Pros

I think most of the reviews on here are negative because there are a lot of bratty girls who work here with unrealistic expectations of what working life is like. This is a decent workplace. The company is big enough to offer great employee benefits but not too big that employees feel like faceless cogs in a machine. The office culture is energetic with healthy morale. The company seems to be doing well and people don't have to worry every day about losing their jobs. Managers are good at communicating with their employees and make them feel valued. The work life balance is very healthy too.

Cons

There isn't a lot of diversity. Most employees are white females which is strange since the office is located in one of the most diverse cities on the planet.

Advice to Management

Don't make the employees who earn under 40k sign-in and out at the front desk every day, It's embarrassing for them.

2. "Great first job"

I worked at SANDOW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on the individual team, there are great opportunities to grow from an entry-level position and take on challenges beyond what you were hired to do. I was lucky to have a fantastic manager and am still close friends with everyone who was on my team even though we have all moved on by now.

Cons

There were some tough political dynamics among staff at some of the magazines, and aside from periodic happy hours many of the departments didn't really mingle much.

"Micromanagement at its finest"

I worked at SANDOW full-time

Pros

-NYC & Boca Raton offices have nice amenities

Cons

- managers are micromanagers even though they claim they aren't
    -poor training
    - Lack of job function definition because managers actually have never done the job.
    - Lack of knowledge of the Aesthetic market that they operate in
    - Too pricey of a service for what customers are actually getting
    - Management isn't open to knew ways to reach customers

Advice to Management

-Change the strategy and services of what's actually being offered so the customers clearly understand, " What's in it for me?"
    - Have managers who've actually done the job so they can relate other than saying we need to hit our numbers

"Be Wary of the False (Positive) Postings!"

Former Employee - Sales Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Director in New York, NY

I worked at SANDOW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The products are nice. Quality publications.

Cons

The people managing here are "hacks" who have bounced around the media world. It's amazing that they have all seemed to congregate here! I have never met a manager or "executive" that could even attempt to do my simple job. Highly incompetent people in positions of leadership, planning and direction.

Advice to Management

For starters: STOP POSTING FALSE REVIEWS! Anyone that's worked here knows anything "positive" was created by H.R. or one of "the hacks" in "management." Second: LEARN how to do the jobs of your subordinates so that goals and objectives are realistic. Lastly: Realize that you are NOT and will never be Conde' Nast, Fairchild or Time Warner--you're Sandow Media from schlumpy FL!

6. "great company!"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at SANDOW (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly people, Starbucks in house!

Cons

some in office drama re: instagram but its nbd, everyones chill

7. "Overall Pretty Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Freelance Writer in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Freelance Writer in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at SANDOW (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on what team you're in the employees and dynamics can be great. There's also fun perks like holiday parties, happy hours, birthdays, and bagels. Room to be yourself.

Cons

Communication between departments can be lacking which contributes to a good chunk of stress for employees in each department. Workflow needs to be more streamlined and pettiness needs to be left at home.

Advice to Management

Help establish a more efficient means of distributing work and responsibility at all levels so that no one is pressured last minute to make drastic changes, thereby affecting the whole timeline of production.

"More of a cult than a job"

I worked at SANDOW full-time

Pros

Not too many good things to say there. Their facade and office design is nice. Centrally located. But most of the good reviews on here are probably HR writing them to offset the negatives.

Cons

So much wrong with this place. I found it to be without direction, demeaning of experience and very clique-ish. Communication was nonexistent except on a demeaning, base level. Someone else noted it as a "Mean Girls" atmosphere which I find to be a very apt description; very true. I couldn't get out of there fast enough, and resigned post haste, not wasting my time on such things. Not really very good on the benefits side either. But take it if you need a job and find out for yourself.

Don't just take my word for it, I've watched their digital numbers over an extended period and see stagnation and no-growth. That's not opinion, that's a fact.

Advice to Management

Figure it out, you're losing good people. I would suggest breaking up that clique thing you got going and taking some lessons in communication.

"High School"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at SANDOW (More than 5 years)

Pros

On-site Starbucks. Clean work environment. Friendly people.

Cons

Micro-managing, tons of miscommunications between coworkers. Seems odd that 85% of employees are white females, needs more diversity. No matter which department you work in, there will be many late work hours, without bonuses. Most of the late work nights are results from last minute changing minds, or employees forgetting the tell you important information.

Advice to Management

Hire people not just based on friendliness and a cute smile.

"Company that breaks the barriers of traditional media"

Former Employee - Vice President/Strategic Marketing in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Vice President/Strategic Marketing in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at SANDOW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great brands in the portfolio

Cons

Cross pollination of the brands to leverage assets can be challenging

"Not Professional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at SANDOW full-time

Pros

None really, the company is basically a joke

Cons

Not generous with compensation considering the amount of hours expected and several different hats you are expected to wear. Manngement is oblivious to what is going on. Several Clicks in the office that do not really do anything but kiss up to management and basically there is a revolving door unless you are in tight with CEO.

Advice to Management

Get it together and act like a professional company not a mom and pop shop.