SKIM Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SKIM Managing Director Karin Lieshout
Karin Lieshout

1. "Pretty good place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at SKIM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun and casual environment, opportunities to do interesting working, ability to work autonomously, management really makes an effort towards creating a positive work environment.

Cons

Growth opportunities can be limited, even if management says otherwise. There are a lot of non-productive meetings that can be a significant time suck, especially when things get busy.

Advice to Management

Find out who you are and then move on. It seems like there is near-constant soul searching going on.

"I like working here!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at SKIM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Development opportunities. I have friends starting at other market research agencies who only do data mining and then hand it over to a senior person to draw conclusions from and provide recommendations to the client. At SKIM I actually am involved in all stages of the project and am able to learn much more than just shadowing a senior person.
    -Promotions actually happen here. I see none of my coworkers are still in the same role they were hired for so that shows me if I work hard there will be rewards for my efforts.
    -Work/Life Balance. I don't know if it's the Dutch way, or just the company's way, regardless the benefit of making my own schedule and having a friendly, casual, and professional work environment helps me feel like I can have a life outside work but not dread coming into work either. Summer hours and working from home is pretty cool too!
    -Pay. I'm happy I got a job after I graduated and a nice starting salary to boot.
    -Benefits. We get free medical, dental, and vision benefits, not a dime out of my pocket!
    -Management listens to us! We have a cute office feedback tool that asks us weekly questions about our work, wellness/stress levels, and how we feel about the company. Just knowing the company cares to listen and take into consideration what I think is good enough for me.
    -Travel. I'm going to corporate in Rotterdam soon to learn more about the company and take some in-person trainings also. It's nice SKIM invests in their new hires and allows these kinds of travel opportunities.

Cons

Work can get intense and stressful at times because we have deadline driven projects.

"Poor HR"

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Hoboken, NJ

Pros

Good location in Hoboken, NJ

Cons

Office politics, seems you can only get up the ladder by drinking with Management. Some managers very unprofessional. Senior staff eating loudly at desk, very unhygienic. GROSS. Poor benefits, do not care about employees. Very strict policies and procedures. Has gone down hill in last 6 months, not sure about other offices.

Advice to Management

Take care of your staff - do not allow staff to eat food at their desk as it is off putting for other employees.

SKIM Response

Jul 22, 2016 – Manager

We're genuinely surprised and saddened to hear such negative feedback because this seems so out of place with what our policies and values we uphold. We hope that you can bring this forward so that ... More

"SKIM is What You Make it"

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SKIM (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits package, opportunity for growth, projects are interesting. Great place to get into while it's still growing.

Cons

Work/Life balance, lack of cultural diversity, staff/Management communication was also an issue.

Advice to Management

Diversity in experience, race, and gender does phenomenal things for the workplace. A set of fresh eyes will always see things differently than you do. Try to accept constructive criticism and suggested changes more openly.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Facilities Manager in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Facilities Manager in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at SKIM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, smart and ambitious people. Constant growth and change makes for very dynamic environment and continual learning on the job. International, multi-cultural company which offers flexibility and autonomy.

Cons

Leadership has a hard time coaching more senior staff, which can hamper your individual growth, make career opportunities unclear and sometimes causes seniors to be inexperienced at people or business management.

Advice to Management

Organize more holistic approach to training senior on people and business management and make sure (external and internal) coaching is available and approachable for your more senior staff.

"What an amazing company to work for!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at SKIM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Entrepreneur driven in allowing you to focus on areas you are most passionate about, flexible in allowing for working from home and your schedule (and summer fridays!) , full of genuine, outgoing, and extremely intelligent people, a really great place to work! Also the smallness of the agency allows you to see a project from start to client facing presentation which is hard to find, especially working with such big and well known companies! Free healthcare, vision and dental benefits also help out.

Cons

Salary is less than optimal but is outweighed by the many pros, not many know SKIM so credibility for future jobs might not be as strong compared to working for a well known MR firm, it's actually located in HOBOKEN, not NYC- so reverse commute for most of us =/

Advice to Management

Very well done! Thanks!

7. "good practice, nice work."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at SKIM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

technical analysis, statistical software, very practical atmosphere.

Cons

you have to work overtime. sometime have to work on the weekend.

8. "Inspiring and can be tangled"

Pros

Entrepreneurial, methodological expertise, open culture

Cons

Tangled organization, sometimes difficult communication

Advice to Management

Reduce organization friction and maintain the entrepreneurial culture

"Great company and culture, but still has improvements to make"

I have been working at SKIM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The co-workers are amazing, which makes coming to work nice. The leaders of the US offices are open and easily accessible, and everyone is always wiling to listen to suggestions. The work is always evolving which keeps you interested in what you are doing, and the organization has established incredible relationships with clients who challenge you but respect you.

Cons

There is a lack of unity and connections between the offices, which is becoming even more of a concern with the rapid growth of the organization. Especially in the US, work load is not managed well enough and you often see people working late at night and on weekends.

Advice to Management

Preserve the culture of the organization, minimize the differences between the offices, decide on a clear structure with set initiatives and see them the full way through

"Challenging, fast learning pace, young staff empowered"

Pros

Entrepreneurial, advanced analytics, challenging clients and projects, growing organization

Cons

Workload can be challenging at times

Advice to Management

Provide clear guidelines and processes to employees