SSE Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
SSE CEO Alistair Phillips-Davies
Alistair Phillips-Davies

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work life balance and talented colleagues" (in 10 reviews)

• "Good benefits, some very talented people in place in the business" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Over the top with health and safety as well" (in 16 reviews)

• "I was told that the RTSD Field Engineer roles were not as stable as made out by Senior management" (in 15 reviews)

1. "Great work. Former military in a challenging environment."

Current Employee - Technical Publications Writer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Technical Publications Writer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at SSE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people. Learning something new everyday. benefits are nice and they are very flexible with when and how you complete your 40 hours a week.

Cons

not many...maybe business casual attire?

Advice to Management

Keep training like you do. Great company.

2. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at SSE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to work within UK.

Cons

No cons within UK context.

3. "Policy Analyst"

I worked at SSE full-time

Pros

Great start in the energ industry in the UK
    Thoughtful leadership
    Good work life balance and talented colleagues
    You get real hands on experience with policies facing the utility industry

Cons

Salart for the mosyt junior positions are very low so might be hard for company to attract talent

4. "A terrible place to work which left me a nervous wreck"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portsmouth, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portsmouth, NC

I worked at SSE part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing comes to mind it's a shambles

Cons

A horrid place to work which has left me permantly signed off sick with the doctor. If you want to loose all self esteem and be down trodden and not appreciate then work for SSE. You will get better treatment working in North Korea.

Advice to Management

Managers bullying staff. Managers not taking any responsibility for there errors. Dreadful set up from top to bottom a complete shambles. They preach to staff to treat customers like family but treat there staff like dirt. Management only care about climbing the greasy career ladder.

5. "Telesales"

I worked at SSE full-time

Pros

Good culture, grounding for sales and future career

Cons

Difficult job and high turnover but no more than other companies

"Structured environment, not really that creative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

An okay place to work. I do not feel micro-managed or hen-pecked as I have at other places. You need to be self-taught or self sufficient in finding answers to your own questions, because no training or hand-holding is supplied, but this gives me an odd feeling of independence even though I have no real decision-making role. Socially, the group is racially mixed but uniquely singular in political-cultural-religious bias.

Cons

More of a job and not so much a career, no course for advancement. Filled with former military types so civilians are somewhat challenged to fit this culture. Not really creative, more structured. Not a brilliant place to build a future but suits for steady pay. Thinking out of the box is okay, but do not push it too much or you will seen as one who challenges the system or brushes up against authority. And the authoritative military types do not like to be challenged!

Advice to Management

Directives or goals are not stated clearly, with little communication or direction for action items. Often I feel left not knowing what to do or what action to take, and many others that I ask for help seem equally uninformed (or unwilling) to provide solid direction. Even the so-called corporate types are hesitant to state a fact as fact. A little too open-ended, with uncertainty about what prevails. Bits and pieces of direction are scattered loosely through styles or document updates with no coherent, one-stop source. Creates confusion and uncertainty, hesitancy about appropriate actions to take. More should be done to train the managers to train the staff. Better outcomes require better direction, but the group seems focused on a hanging deadline as the reachable fruit, instead of building a well trained staff.

"SSE inc"

Former Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at SSE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paycheck is delivered. 20 word minimum required me to fill this in with more pros, there really are none other than a paycheck.

Cons

The atrocious management. A ceo that doesn't care. Salesman that screw clients over. Expect more than 40 hours a week without even a thank you.

Advice to Management

Pros: a paycheck
    Cons: terrible management, don't expect more pay than what you start with. FOEs
    once upon a time this used to be an amazing place to work. After multiple mass turnover periods the company is a shell of what it once was. The good managers are long gone to bigger and better places, the ceo is oblivious to the day to day operations and the feel for the employees. The average seniority of the employees is probably 6 months. The manger of the network side would rather talk about his previous jobs and his horrible personal life rather than any attempt at leading the team.
    One good thing, due to the turn over, they are always hiring, so if you need a place to start in IT, this place will at least get you some experience.

"Not a Positive Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at SSE full-time

Pros

Steady work, at the time

Cons

Incredibly hostile and controlling management

Advice to Management

Take more of an interest in your own employees; don't sign over management to the prime contractor

"SSE intern over a period of 6 months"

Current Employee - Generation Intern
    Current Employee - Generation Intern

I have been working at SSE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to get a working experience in the generation business and to appreciate the challenges of energy generation.

Cons

No processes, not strong e-learning platforms, big generation plants are not coordinated, therefore the engineering practices can vary a lot. Engineering level is very low, even though I don´t know whether this is just from the facility itself or the sector (there are no processes at all for introducing new technologies, for assessing efficiency of the plant, etc.). In general, the plant at which I worked had a very poor engineering level and required very long outages every year to be functional in winter. Frustration and fire fighting were common and engineering bodies and chartership were not considered.

Advice to Management

Improve the engineering culture. Bring people from other sectors with a stronger engineering culture (automotive, aerospace, manufacturing) to implement best practices. Set up central functions to create strategies across the business, promote charter-ship for engineers!!!

10. "SSE"

Current Employee - Project Manager in High Wycombe, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in High Wycombe, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

stable employment, company usually hires staff far after they are needed - the upside is that the staff turnover is not so high

Cons

Too many meetings
    Poor performance review mechanisms, with far too heavy a weighting torward toward safety audits (for those who are office based)
    Far too much health and safety focus
    Usual corporate nonsense

Advice to Management

my advice to management would be to make more effort on reward and recrecognition