SSE Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 28, 2017

2.9

Unity Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SSE (Jacksonville, FL) in February 2017.

Interview

Sat down with the both the lead programmer and HR person. Most of their questions seemed to come from a preset question bank. Most of them where c++/c# questions with a bit of Unity and networking questions thrown in.

Graduate Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SSE (Telephone, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

It was a 10-minute telephone interview after an online application and some online verbal and numerical reasoning test. The recruiter was a bit unfriendly and there was lot of noise in the background, which I didn't like. The questions were competency-based. After that, the next step was the assessment center

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply to this programme?

What did you do to enhance your career except of your studies?
      Answer Question

Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at SSE (Saint Louis, MO) in September 2011.

Interview

Interviewing was easy at this point, because I was interviewed by a fellow peer who was in a Senior position, with the same background and interests as myself. The phone interview with a Boeing rep was a bit more difficult, only because it was over the phone rather than in person.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It went through an agency, and the rep for this agency was not knowledgeable in the position I was applying for. I could've gotten a higher salary if I knew the details rather than depending on her.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SSE.

Interview

Followed the normal recruitment process and carried out the online tests. Not such an arduous task. The online tests were simple enough so long as you sit somewhere quiet. Telephone interview was relaxed based on Health and Safety, Customer Service and a bit about the company. Managed to weave some of the stuff I had read into the answers.

Interview Questions

• Why is Heath and Safety important?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SSE in April 2017.

Interview

Online application process. After submitting the application there was an email inviting me to complete some online tests. These consisted of a mechanical reasoning test and other mental reasoning tests, which were not difficult, they just required good concentration.

I was the invited to a telephone interview, which consisted of customer service style competency based questioning. Advice: research the company well, look up their history and their values. I worked the values into one of my answers and this seemed well received. Answer questions using the technique. I was emailed almost immediately after the interview with an invite to the assessment day.

The assessment day was very relaxed, there was a manual dexterity test which was to bend a wire according to a diagram, using pliers/cutters, safety gloves and glasses. Then there was a role play situation where the interviewer plays the customer and I play the role I have applied for. Very easy if you have ever had a customer service role, as this plays a big part of the role, it's not just about installing the meters. If you can demonstrate you are good at interacting with customers, this is what they are looking for.

The final part was a colour blindness test.

If you receive an offer, you will undertake a background check, just make sure you do not fabricate your work history etc as they are very thorough.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time where you gave exceptional customer service.   Answer Question

Trainee Smart Meter Installer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SSE (Coventry, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Stage 1 - Applied online via SSE questionnaire, no CV required however a very detailed form to fill in (about 1hr). This runs though all the basic questions as well as driving licences and employers. Top tip from what I found out in researching for SSE, do not try to big up your job titles, or "bend the truth" on this form, as SSE are ruthless when it comes to the final stage. Other people have been caught out by this.

if your successful you'll move on to stage 2, the only way you will fail at stage 1 is if the job is withdrawn or your not in 45 minutes drive of the area your applying for..... Or you don't take the time to fill the form in fully.

Stage 2- 4x online assessments. do some practice ones!!! it will help you.
    1. a personality test, its the normal type of test all big companies use all about finding out what you would do in a situation. There is no right answer, but that's the point. if you use the SSE CORE VALUES. you wont go wrong

2. A skills test. multiple choice and the questions ranges from "if block A is dropped what happens to block B & C" and if COG A turns clockwise what would COG B do... ect

3. Math & logic test, A little trickier all about reading graphs & charts and extracting information. or doing math questions like work out the percentage of a value.

4. command card test (tip do your research) This is designed to see how you work under pressure. 150 questions with 10 minutes ( you will be good if you do half of it) its about getting them right not the amount you do. you have a ref card with clocks on it, in a 4 x 4 grid.
    you have to match each line to a signal line thus giving you an answer

if your score is successful you'll be invited to book a phone interview

Stage 3 - competency based telephone interview that will last about 30-45 min. Remember to use the STAR format the interview manager will like it. Really research SSE, the core values, the company programmes ect. you will get asked how you feel about HSE and following procedures.

stage 4- assessment morning/day. comprising of;
    1. role play- remember its all about the customer..... you'll get 15mins prep then its off to go see Mrs smith. there are a few curve balls but as long as you make notes you'll be find.... and STICK TO THE SCRIPT.
    2. dexterity test- bend a bit of wire to the diagram. sounds simple but just remember to use PPE... plan your work (make random notes or rough measurement with the pilers) then do the bends, then recheck.
    3. vision test..... easy read the numbers.

do not believe them if they say your not in competition with each other. I got told that as long as you pass the assessment day (I did) then they will call you either way to say you've been successful or you failed the assessment day. In my case I got an email saying that there are no positions available for the area I applied for because they have been filled. So they then put you in the talent pool (post assessed) and will call you when the demand of meter installers for your area increases.

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cumbernauld, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SSE (Cumbernauld, Scotland (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

I passed the first two stages of the process - my CV was fine and I successfully completed the online assessment. I just had my phone interview yesterday (first time I had ever done one), and while the guy was nice enough, there was a lot of background noise. I got an e-mail around an hour ago acknowledging that I was unsuccessfully, which doesn't really surprise me as there were a lot of questions to be answered in 20 minutes. Overall, I found the phone interview the hardest part of the experience, but at-least I now know what to expect from interviews being conducted this way.

Interview Questions

• Give a time in your job/college/school that you knew you made a mistake.   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with customers complaining on the phone?   Answer Question
    • What would be the hardest thing for you to pick up and learn at sse?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leopardstown (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SSE (Leopardstown (Ireland)) in March 2017.

Interview

Poorly organised, paperwork prepared for UK based employees, incorrect email address supplied for response. On the day was not interviewed by the person I was told would be interviewing. Was not supplied with presentation facilities for the presentation I had been asked to prepare and bring along. No attempt was made to "sell" the company during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for this company   1 Answer

Trainee Smart Meter Installer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kilmarnock, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at SSE (Kilmarnock, Scotland (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Online application , online tests - poor communication/emails missing links for next steps. Then had a telephone interview which was pretty basic. Nothing too hard was asked. Had to travel over 400 miles for a very poorly thought out assessment centre.

At the assessment centre we had to bend wire following a diagram then we had a role play. You can make notes AND use the paperwork you take the notes from during the role play(this wasn't explained at the start I found this out halfway through the role play). The final test is a colour perception test.

Interview Questions

This role only offers a contract until 2020. I was offered another job with more security

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SSE (Cardiff, Wales (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online, had to upload CV and answer competency based questions and a 'why SSE' question. I then had an online test link e-mailed to me which was a psychometric test (i.e rate a statement between 1-5 if you strongly agree, disagree etc) and had to listen to 4 calls and click on 1 of 3 statements that you'd say and click on the relevant tab on the computer programme.
    After successfully completing that stage you are invited to attend an assessment which is 3 hours. We had to draft an e-mail response to an e-mail enquiry, do a call role play, one to one interview (with competency questions), then finally had to work as a group to help a failing business with a £50k budget- this was quite challenging with regards to everyone wanting to shine so there was a few people trying to talk over eachother, and trying to reach a majority decision.
    You need to pass a minimum of 3 of the above to be successful.
    All SSE staff were really down to earth- no egos which was refreshing!
    It took 3 days from attending the assessment centre to find out if you had been successful or not.