Science Systems and Applications Reviews | Glassdoor

Anoop N. Mehta, CPA, CGMA

1. "Fulfilling work"

Current Employee - Associate Computer Scientist in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Associate Computer Scientist in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at Science Systems and Applications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are very competitive. There is a lot of support and encouragement for investing in your skillset.

Cons

Working for the government can be slow and cumbersome. The salary compensation could be higher, but that is a reflection of the government more than the company.

2. "Overall decent place to work"

I worked at Science Systems and Applications part-time

Pros

As a part time employee I can't compare things like benefits to other places but the pay was decent for an intern and managers were helpful. I did not work as an SSAI building so I also can't comment on office life but overall my experience was good.

Cons

Did not have any downsides during my time.

3. "Typical Gov't Contractor ..."

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Washington, DC

Pros

SSAI is a good smaller government contracting company. Although I am employed at this company, I don't know a whole lot about it because I sit at the customer site (NASA), and have very little contact with SSAI. The benefits are good, and the one time I did ask the company for help submitting a grant proposal they were exceptionally helpful. My experience here was somewhat nicer than with SAIC, but since I had little contact with either company, the difference was not significant. Both companies are fine.

Cons

Of course, the only reason a government contracting company exists for science positions is to make it easy for the government to employ soft-money scientists. In that sense I resent this company - it is unethical for someone to profit off of this situation. The story is different for engineering projects, which is the majority of SSAI's business. Other than this vaguely philosophical issue, I have had no negative experiences with the company.

Advice to Management

Very good communication - please keep it up!

5. "Entry level"

Current Employee - Associate Software Developer in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Developer in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Science Systems and Applications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

loads of experience, fast-paced, agile framework, PTO, performance-based, teamwork, not working on the same thing every day

Cons

some lack of guidance or training, or perhaps just a lack of communication. very laissez-faire sometimes which can be nice until you're stuck with no one to turn to. Sneaking suspicion that I'm being underpaid.

Advice to Management

Continue in the direction you're going with agile and DevOps team design. It really helps with communication, direction, and productivity.

6. "Accounting Intern"

Pros

Work given was pretty easy and basic.

Cons

No real work for intern

Advice to Management

Only hire intern when needed

7. "SSAI"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Newport News, VA

I worked at Science Systems and Applications (More than 8 years)

Pros

The contract I worked on was for the government. Most of the people were great to work with. We frequently did pot lucks and other events to bring every one together.

Cons

The management was frequently changing. By the time you got comfortable with one, they were replaced by another. People were not always held accountable for their actions.

Advice to Management

It appears that the higher the degree, the more valuable the person. This is not always true. Don't discount peoples experience.

8. "Great contracting vehicle"

Pros

Family environment. Transparent management with some of the highest ethics in the government contracting space. Treated people well, and pursued interesting contracts.

Cons

Typical issues about being a contractor in a government facility.

"Great place to learn"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Science Systems and Applications full-time

Pros

Very flexible and great managment

Cons

Contracting work isn't for everyone. Also their pay periods can be very confusing especially if you like to budget.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! I have loved every minute of working there!

10. "Facility Coordinator"

Pros

One of the most thoughtful companies I have ever worked for. Very employee focused company. Management is easy to communicate with.SSAI has been voted number 1 best companies to work for amongst its competitors

Cons

In the five years I worked with SSAI I never experienced any situation or circumstance that was not positive and rewarding.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to continue all that you are currently embracing do not change a thing. You make it very enjoyable to be successful.

"Great company. No complaints."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at Science Systems and Applications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, competitive pay, ethical business practices, meaningful work.

Cons

Since this is a government contractor company, you'll most likely be working under a civil servant if you're a scientist or engineer. This means your individual experience can vary a bit based on who you directly report to.

Advice to Management

Great company. I don't think I could run it any better.