Science Systems and Applications Reviews | Glassdoor

Anoop N. Mehta, CPA, CGMA

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Project Manager"

I have been working at Science Systems and Applications full-time

Pros

This company has a great culture

Cons

Job progression seems to be a little limited.

2. "A company that goes above and beyond to take care of its employees!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Science Systems and Applications full-time

Pros

Excellent, competitive benefits. Management is committed to employee development and work-life balance. Telecommuting and flexible schedules are available. A wonderful company to work for!

Cons

As with any government contractor, continued work is subject to contract renewals every few years. Company is very proactive in planning for future.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

3. "Good company, thinking ahead, important mission."

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Science Systems and Applications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mission: Earth Science, understanding what's happening with our planet.
    Flexibility: The managers aren't interested in getting all up in your business if you're working. Management recognizes part of its job is to isolate from a lot of BS. Working remotely is a possibility, depending on position.
    Forward thinking: The company is actively planning for the future and if you show initiative your ideas can make it to the C-suite.
    NASA: I mean, who doesn't want to help NASA do what it does?
    Nice folks: Very few jerks.

Cons

If you're a software developer, the pay doesn't match what is available with your average software product company.

Advice to Management

More training and conferences for non-scientists. Don't make us fill out multiple forms for $200 worth of training/books.

4. "One of the best companies to work for in 2017"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Science Systems and Applications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Diverse company with exceptional talent.

Cons

Primarily government contract work; subject to contract renewals every 5 years or so.

Advice to Management

Maintain the culture and values of the company; it's one of the reasons why turnover is relatively low.

"Typical govt. contractor - in it for the money"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampton, VA

Pros

Affords the opportunity for research positions at NASA. Involved in community (although I think this is mostly for contract competitiveness).

Cons

The management sees contractors that work on-site at customer's facilities as a means for billing time and nothing more. There is little opportunity for advancement or even professional/personal development. The pay is not competitive with peers. 401K match is only 4%. They openly state that raises are not tied to performance reviews (which may be a good thing, because I never see my manager and he wouldn't have a clue what my job actually is). My SSAI makes absolutely no effort to promote me with my NASA manager.

Advice to Management

Spend a little less time throwing parties, and make an effort to help employees get ahead and improve themselves both professionally/personally.

6. "Applications Developer"

I worked at Science Systems and Applications full-time

Pros

Good work environment. Solid Mission. The benefits are decent.

Cons

Very tough to move positions in contract role. Since old CEO stepped down, benefits and salaries have stagnated under new leadership.

Advice to Management

Create a pathway to management for all employees. Pay members based on achievement and merit.

"Fulfilling work"

Current Employee - Associate Computer Scientist in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Associate Computer Scientist in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at Science Systems and Applications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are very competitive. There is a lot of support and encouragement for investing in your skillset.

Cons

Working for the government can be slow and cumbersome. The salary compensation could be higher, but that is a reflection of the government more than the company.

8. "Overall decent place to work"

I worked at Science Systems and Applications part-time

Pros

As a part time employee I can't compare things like benefits to other places but the pay was decent for an intern and managers were helpful. I did not work as an SSAI building so I also can't comment on office life but overall my experience was good.

Cons

Did not have any downsides during my time.

9. "Typical Gov't Contractor ..."

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Washington, DC

Pros

SSAI is a good smaller government contracting company. Although I am employed at this company, I don't know a whole lot about it because I sit at the customer site (NASA), and have very little contact with SSAI. The benefits are good, and the one time I did ask the company for help submitting a grant proposal they were exceptionally helpful. My experience here was somewhat nicer than with SAIC, but since I had little contact with either company, the difference was not significant. Both companies are fine.

Cons

Of course, the only reason a government contracting company exists for science positions is to make it easy for the government to employ soft-money scientists. In that sense I resent this company - it is unethical for someone to profit off of this situation. The story is different for engineering projects, which is the majority of SSAI's business. Other than this vaguely philosophical issue, I have had no negative experiences with the company.

Advice to Management

Very good communication - please keep it up!

"Entry level"

Current Employee - Associate Software Developer in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Developer in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Science Systems and Applications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

loads of experience, fast-paced, agile framework, PTO, performance-based, teamwork, not working on the same thing every day

Cons

some lack of guidance or training, or perhaps just a lack of communication. very laissez-faire sometimes which can be nice until you're stuck with no one to turn to. Sneaking suspicion that I'm being underpaid.

Advice to Management

Continue in the direction you're going with agile and DevOps team design. It really helps with communication, direction, and productivity.