Scratch Music Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Scratch Music Group Reviews

4.3
Rob Principe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company to work for that is currently going through some changes and working out the kinks"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Scratch Music Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great industry, great office location, fun culture, easy commute for a city dweller like myself.

Cons

Compensation is on the lower side , management needs some effective communication work, company is having some issues that need resolving

Advice to Management

Compensate your employees appropriately, hire qualified individuals

2. "Business Development"

I have been working at Scratch Music Group full-time

Pros

Small company with good family atmosphere.

Cons

No good process for advancement and

"Good energy, fast-paced environment, but not for everyone"

Pros

- Company of fun, interesting employees
    - Work is varied and interesting
    - Good work/life balance for most roles (some less so, see below)
    - "Cool" environment in and out of the office, always some client or company event open to employees
    - Company treats employees like people, and every role and therefore every employee is important to the company's goals.

Cons

- Mentorship is thin. Employees have to foster their own skills as upper management's experience is somewhat limited.
    - 24/7 attachment to phone/email is required for some roles, which is overwhelming for those employees.
    - Career growth is limited, as true of any small company. Promotions happen, but usually due to the company's need not to grow/retain employees.
    - Few women in upper management roles. Like a 5:1 ratio.

"Established company in the DJ space with a strong, collaborative culture"

Former Employee - Director of Business Development in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director of Business Development in New York, NY

I worked at Scratch Music Group full-time

Pros

-Opportunities to make an impact: I worked on a wide range of projects that had a big influence on the company, particularly from a revenue perspective.

-Vibrant culture: There's a great "work hard, play hard" mentality at Scratch. Management does a good job of driving this by planning all kinds of interesting events, happy hours, speakers etc.

-Great people: Very diverse group of talented and genuinely good people.

-Open environment: The office is set up to foster collaboration. Even though the company has been around 12 years and is well established, the work environment feels more like a startup

-Rapid growth: I saw the company grow every year during my time which meant there were constantly new interesting/new opportunities.

Cons

My experience was overwhelmingly positive.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep strong/open lines of communication with the whole company

5. "Vibrant culture and great group of people to work with and learn from."

Current Employee - Director, Technology in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director, Technology in New York, NY

I have been working at Scratch Music Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The open work space and transparent communication across teams makes this a great place for someone to excel in their career. We all fully embrace our roles, own up to any mistakes that have been made and pick each other up when its needed. The CEO always looks to better shape the dynamic of Scratch's culture.

Cons

Coming in as a pure technologist, it was an adjustment for me to adapt to scratch's environment of selling DJ education and entertainment. My customers went from external senior engineers to internal senior level sales members. Being patient with it, however, helped me to shape my business and project management skills to greater lengths.

6. "Growth-oriented company focused on the DJ space"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Scratch Music Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has been in existence since 2002, but remains very focused on continuing to grow. Kind of place that rewards growth thinking vs. fixed thinking, and allows people to create their own opportunities. Plays in one of the few growing sectors of the music space – DJing. Company includes a few different business units allowing for a variety of functional roles within. Upper management is dedicated and committed to helping the company succeed.

Cons

Not the right fit for all personality types. Success at Scratch requires creating one’s own opportunities and truly being a self-starter (vs. only thinking you are), and a degree of patience. Training resources are limited but improving as the company grows.

Advice to Management

Investment in top notch people at the top of their fields will lead to a top notch company at the height of its potential.

7. "Great company to work for."

Pros

Work life balance is well respected

Cons

Salaries in my opinion, are below average.

Advice to Management

More transparency between management and lower level employees.

8. "Good place to work with growth"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Scratch Music Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management has diverse backgrounds and are strategic, helpful, and always open-door

Cons

Takes time to earn high compensation in sales, work-life balance can be better

9. "Below average job with too many downfalls"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Scratch Music Group full-time

Pros

Scratch DJ Academy is the only perk to working with Scratch Music. Employees are able to take free dj classes and receive discounts on other classes. The staff is generally friendly and the Scratch DJ Academy community is the only thing that is attracting attention to this company.

Cons

Severe lack of identity and leadership within upper management. Very little details and directions are provided by upper management for what they deem as major projects. There is also a severe lack of communication from upper management to lower level staff. Compensation is extremely low and is not balanced with the amount of expected work. There is very little room for growth and there is no proper compensation based on performance. Too many responsibilities are spread out amongst a very small team and surprisingly enough upper management is unclear and lost on how to perform important responsibilities. Too many excuses are used when systems fail, and there is zero accountability by upper management. Inefficient systems plague this company which they are not willing to invest to correct these issues. Employee turn over rate is extremely high. No structure at all for internship program.

Advice to Management

Re-structure or replace your upper management team and properly compensate employees for their work and dedication. Offer fair incentive plans for employees that exceed goals and expectations. Show more appreciation for your employees and listen to their ideas and concerns. As stated in previous reviews, realize that people are unhappy and do something about it. Bring back the company culture that was once there. Consider hiring employees that have actual experience working in the music industry or have experience working in the DJ community.

Scratch Music Group Response

Jan 23, 2015 – VP of Finance

Our average annual compensation is higher than comparable companies within the industry. For a salesperson to state that there is no proper compensation based on performance is incorrect when... More

10. "Great place to work and grow your skill set"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Scratch Music Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talented and passionate management, good benefits, entrepreneurial, challenging and fast paced environment

Cons

Salary and compensation is a little lower than expected

Advice to Management

Reward hard working employees more and offer more formal training for sales staff to really grow and get better

Scratch Music Group Response

Sep 30, 2014 – VP of Finance

Thank you for the comments. We have materially improved our offerings to employees and currently offer tremendous benefit packages including 6 medical plans, dental, vision, STD, LTD... More