Security National Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

Security National Financial Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2018

Found 16 reviews

Security National Financial CEO George R. Quist (no image)
George R. Quist
  1. "I love working at SNFC!"

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Security National Financial full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly working environment, great team work, lots of great benefits, flexible schedule, and lots of GOOD PEOPLE like Paul Christensen!

Cons

We have encountered some growing pains and our leaders are working hard to overcome them. I have no doubts they will lead the way to success.

Security National Financial2018-03-19
  2. "Under Paid"

I worked at Security National Financial full-time

Pros

i don't know what to say.

Cons

under paid and boss was related so he always threw his employees under the bus to make himself look good.

Advice to Management

Pay better and create a place where employees feel comfortable coming forward when there is problems with out the fear of retaliation from management.

Security National Financial2018-04-10

"Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murray, UT

I worked at Security National Financial full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are some great people who work for this company and they make it a little easier to handle everything else because you feel that "you're in this together." This is a very family-oriented family-first driven company and the founding family has a lot of family members to keep employed. It isn't uncommon to find in your department one of the grandchildren of the company's founder. They allow those family members... a small taste of what "the real working world is like." A few of those family members are worth getting to know. The benefits are ok. The 401k benefits are pretty good and improved over the years. Instead of doing an annual or monthly discrimination orientation, they allow their employees to read the guidelines and rules on discrimination (and whatever else the hot topic was that month) and answer several questions - this was your "agreement" that you were not being discriminated against. They do a Christmas Party where they rent out part of the movie theater for the employee and four family members to view the movie for free. There is a Halloween costume contest and a cash prize in a few categories. They are building a new office complex - which is overdue since the old buildings are very outdated and cramped for space. There are several vending machines and one of them offers healthier snacks.

Cons

This is a very family-oriented family-first driven company and the founding family has an awful lot of family members to keep employed. They are really good at nepotism and having more management then lower-level workers. The lower-level employees, as a result, get a lot of the workload (because it is hard to say "no, I'm overworked" to someone "in the family" without the fear of putting your job at risk and knowing... full well that you're not being paid as much as any of the younger family members in the same position who are working their way up the management chain). It is hard to keep employed really great, non-family employees for very long. Sometimes even those very few non-family employees who make it to a higher level position end up being fired to take the fall for something another person did - so it makes it hard to want to strive for a long-term position at this company if you're not a direct member of the founding family. The mid-level management, at least some years ago, was known for their ability to gossip and make fun of anyone who claimed to have been harassed or mistreated. It made it tough to want to speak up. Their HR dept and mail room dept is run by some great people but they aren't treated as though they have much value - it was sad to see.

Advice to Management

Keep an open mind about the really great employees who may not be a relative of yours. They too can add value and integrity to your company. Consider letting go of the family members who do more damage than good. Consider teaching your family members to be more discreet about taking advantage of their position as a family member and also maybe not using company products for personal use during peak work hours.... Consider doing more to unite the companies and departments, including more community volunteer work.

Security National Financial2018-02-16
  4. "Benefits are not affordable"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murray, UT

I worked at Security National Financial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can come into work late without issue.

Cons

Low salary, high health insurance premiums, favoritism.

Advice to Management

Give employees decent health insurance that is affordable.

Security National Financial2018-01-15

"Nepotism - Family only"

I worked at Security National Financial full-time

Pros

I enjoyed my time with SNFC until it was time for promotion. They offered to promote me but pay me far less than the man doing the same job. I was a longtime, loyal employee until that experience. It was completely insulting. George Quist passed away. His son and grandsons are now in charge. It is not an improvement.

Cons

The company only values its male family employees. The only female executive is a relative. She is good at her job and loyal to the company but has vice president title when her brothers have/had President titles.

Advice to Management

Promote and value employees other than family members. You are too big of a company to have this level of nepotism. Promote women (other than family) to executive positions and pay them appropriately. Provide competitive salaries and benefits.

Security National Financial2017-10-25
  6. "Great Company"

I have been working at Security National Financial full-time

Pros

Great versatile company. Good career company

Cons

the benefits are not that great.

Advice to Management

none

Security National Financial2017-06-13

"OK Company"

I worked at Security National Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Mostly good people, good benefits and family over work attitude from the middle managers.

Cons

Management not forthcoming about where you stand. Mgmt may ask you to put something together, but if they don't like it, you will need to change it. if you don't you are not a company person and you may be asked to leave their employment, especially if you are middle mgmt. Be careful this is a family run company, even though it is publicly traded, so a lot of the decisions are made with that in mind Lower on... the pay scale.

Advice to Management

Accept that your employees may have insight to help you stay out of hot water, even if it makes the company look bad in the short run.

Security National Financial2017-02-14
  8. "Great Company"

Current Employee - TQM and Sales Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Security National Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Benefits and management. Very flexible with schedules. Very fun atmosphere to work in. co-workers are great and there are many opportunities to grow.

Cons

None. Security National Financial Corporation is a great place to work. I've never had a negative experience there and would recommend working there to anyone.

Advice to Management

Always be willing to listen to employees suggestions. Make sure to let your employees try new things as well. I think management does this but maybe could work on it a little more.

Security National Financial2015-05-28

"Ok for a job, Not for a career"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Murray, UT

I worked at Security National Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

8-5 mon-fri schedule decent, ok benefits, coworkers were nice.

Cons

Overall not a great company, management does not care about employees. After working there for a year and a half, I was let go without being given any reason why and without even being paid my vacation time. lots of nepotism a person in my department got away with taking naps and going home early because she was related to her manager. The only thing this company is good for is if you need short-term employment. No... need for loyalty here as they are not loyal to you.

Advice to Management

See employees as an investment rather than expendable

Security National Financial2015-06-29
  10. "All about numbers....not the people"

Former Employee - Sales Co in Hammond, LA

I worked at Security National Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Have different locations to work

Cons

Small Company,not rated by A M Best

Advice to Management

care enough about your people to talk to them rather than about them! Everything is not always as it appears

Security National Financial2015-03-10