Cover image for Shift

Found 312 of over 336 reviews

3.3
Shift CEO Jeff Clementz
Jeff Clementz

What people are saying about Shift

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Shift? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Shift employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people to work with(in 27 reviews)
  • "Definitely a great culture to be a part of !(in 25 reviews)
  • "Honestly the benefits are great.(in 15 reviews)
  • "Great team and culture.(in 14 reviews)
  • "great coworkers and a relatively lax environment as long as you perform(in 13 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Shift and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year
    Featured Review

If you like cars and helping people this is the job to have,

Nov 25, 2022 - Customer Ambassador in Oakland, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fast paced, huge inventory of cars. Involved in every aspect of buying and selling cars. Technology driven. Work environment is healthy and non toxic. Everyone gets along. Management is responsive to concerns and issues.

Cons

Sometimes customer demand can be excessive and hard to please.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great until it needed

Jan 26, 2023 - Freelance Photographer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The staff was amazing. Super helpful and caring. Everyone in general was super friendly

Cons

The higher ups don’t rly know what they are doing (which is why we lost our location)

1 person found this review helpful
  3. Join the Shift team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

All the cons of a startup, and all the cons of a big company.

Jan 27, 2023 - Sales Associate in Oakland, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Genuinely great people - although they're becoming more scarce by the day -Comparatively relaxed management -Excellent health insurance (full time only) -Potentially solid work/life balance (EXTREMELY department dependant- many departments have zero regard for work life balance and expect you to effectively be on call 24/7- especially sales)

Cons

-Your job description and/or duties will change at least once every quarter. -Layoffs are common, but unpredictable. Experience and tenure won't save you. -Truly baffling decisions from corporate seem to occur at least once a month, which can directly impact the scope of your daily work. They are not open to any feedback unless you are a C-level employee. -No pay raises. I have multiple team members that have had the scope of their work increase tenfold as they worked for the company for 2+ years, but are still being paid their base 17/hr rate, with every request for a raise being met with denial.

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Former Employee

Change change change

Jan 26, 2023 - Senior Lead Development Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits is a pro

Cons

Constant change is one of the cons

6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Work with good people but with constant turmoil

Jan 16, 2023 - Senior Software Engineer in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of smart and driven individuals on their engr side

Cons

Priorities from on high change constantly, industry is pretty rough, lots of cuts.

1 person found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Company is going down hill and no one knows what to do

Feb 2, 2023 - Assistant Manager in Oakland, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are simply no pros. The company releases half of its staff overnight because they are doing so poorly.

Cons

From the manager of the location to the CEO, no one knows what to do. They will underpay you and expect you to go above and beyond. When you go above and beyond you are rewarded with nothing and told that someone else can take your place. The owners do not care about their customers or employees. They are expecting unrealistic numbers to be met and will blame everyone else before taking accountability. Even the inventory is horrible, vehicles are either broken into, stolen, leaking oil, dead, or need new parts but will be sold to customers with zero care in the world.

8. 5.0

Bdc

Dec 6, 2022 - BDC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home Easy to communicate with co workers

Cons

Not enough training with the CRM system

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Transparent Communication & Trust

Nov 29, 2022 - Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Plans change when you are a recent private company gone public and in a high growth phase in a crazy market! When plans changes includes employees, however, our executive and people operations team is thoughtful about messaging, and considers any impact to the employee as a first thought. I have seen situations here be handled with compassion, enthusiasm, lots of knowledge sharing and because of that transparent communication, trust and respect is established. One of our core values is that we "Ride Together". We actually do this really, really well.

Cons

That plans change. It isn't easy to be in an every changing, challenging environment but I think that's why a lot of us are here. For the challenge and to see if we can pull off building something GREAT.

10. 1.0

Tough times

Dec 6, 2022 - Project Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you lay low and stay off the radar you will not be bothered much.

Cons

Unrealistic goals by management. Toxic culture oozing from upper management. Blind eye turned to hostile work environment caused by leaders. Forced to lie to customers about car quality.

3 people found this review helpful
  11. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Nov 9, 2022 - Driver
    Business Outlook

Pros

Not too much work Provided meals Family like setting Good management

Cons

Hours crashed badly Blank trips Customers who don’t understand the process

Viewing 1 - 10 of 312 Reviews
</>Embed

Shift Reviews FAQs

Shift has an overall rating of 3.3 out of 5, based on over 336 reviews left anonymously by employees. 55% of employees would recommend working at Shift to a friend and 43% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -8% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Shift employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Shift. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

55% of Shift employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Shift 3.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.4 for culture and values and 3.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Shift to be benefits, culture, coworkers and the cons to be senior leadership, management, career development.

Popular Careers with Shift Job Seekers