Sift Reviews

Updated Oct 19, 2020

3.7
Sift CEO Jason Tan (no image)
Jason Tan
Pros
  • "The leadership team is highly transparent and we hear about both successes and mistakes(in 6 reviews)

• "Strong hiring bar means plenty of passionate and smart people to work with and learn from(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "There were periods of growing pains but nothing unexpected from a startup at this stage(in 12 reviews)

• "Scaling challenges with technical infrastructure(in 4 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "yup"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative (SDR) in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Sift full-time for less than a year

Pros

great benefits and common happy hours

Cons

too much training and onboarding

2. "Great environment to take on large challenges"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sift full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a very dedicated team that is solving some very hard problems in the trust space. There are very large challenges to solve so anyone joining has an incredible opportunity to have an enormous impact and full ownership of projects. There is no lack of things to do. The environment is very friendly and welcoming with great cultural values. The current leadership team is very well equipped to grow the business.

Cons

Development and testing is a bit of a challenge so it takes some work to ship new features. Some rearchitecture will be needed to continue scaling the platform over the next few years.

Continue reading

3. "Great people, learned a ton"

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sift full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great and friendly people: I found most people at Sift care about their work, are open to helping others, and are just good people to have a conversation with. - Tons of perks for a startup of it's size: They definitely don't have to offer what they do, and I really appreciated all of it (commuter stipend, wellness stipend, unlimited pto, lunch & dinner, etc). - Lots of learning opportunities: Due to the size of the company and managers who trust you, there's a lot of impact you can have. Looking back, I was given a lot of opportunity and breadth of work. This could lead to a lot of work but I could depend on my peers and managers to help when needed. - Leadership: They brought on a lot of new leaders during my time, all who are super qualified and I'm interested to see how they're doing now. The CEO cares about the employees and the mission, tries to make time for anyone, and is easy to talk to.

Cons

- Growing pains: I think these are pretty usual for startups at this stage. Sift has a great culture but as they grow, change is inevitable. When I was there, they tried to address things heads on and I appreciated that leadership had tough conversations and tried to do the right thing.

4. "Incredible growth and learning opportunity"

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sift full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* Huge market opportunity centered around a mission that is a no-brainer to stand behind: building trust on the internet * Challenging problems: deep and technical product, cross-functional sale, complex market * Product works like magic. It's inspiring to see direct customer impact. * Culture that is focused on personal and professional growth. Lots of opportunity for career growth and upward mobility for folks with initiative/curiosity/adaptability. * Leadership respects WLB. Employees are encouraged to take time off etc and care for themselves and family.

Cons

* Scaling challenges with technical infrastructure. Sift is deploying 100s of real-time ML models and one of the few cos in the world doing so. This coupled with rapid growth over last few years has led to some scaling challenges. * Constant change. Expect your role to change every 6-9 months as the company grows and market evolves. * Market is growing but so is the competition.

Continue reading
  5. "I'm always proud of having worked at Sift"

I worked at Sift full-time

Pros

1. open-minded People respect each other and always assume good intent, for both work and life. 2. transparent Managers and c-suite are approachable. Regular office hours, business reviews, all hands, and 1<>1 are open at all times 3. wlb Sufficient vacations and flexible hours. High autonomy in employee's schedule.

Cons

1. wlb (zen-ish style could be harmful to a startup who is in a competitive market ) 2. yet to mature management (all levels) The company has been investing in management across all levels. But they started a bit late so that there's still a long way to go, especially for the frontline management and the skipped level. 3. tech debts

"Proud to work at Sift"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sift full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Strong product - Smart people - Leaders are thoughtful and caring and act with integrity - Really solid customer base - Intellectually demanding environment - new challenges every quarter - I really don’t understand the reviews saying we are cliquey and fratty - I think we are quite dorky, and that’s always been endearing to me - Relatively stable, all things considered in 2020

Cons

- Product team historically had too much power - our time and resources were not always well spent - Slower growth and lower prospects than I had initially hoped for - Tech debt and other issues on the engineering team - I don’t understand all the drama referenced in the other reviews, but I do think we made an honest effort to improve things, and I think the bullies are gone - It's a grind, man

Continue reading

"9 year old company that still tries to call itself a 'start up'"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sift full-time

Pros

Most of the employees at lower levels of the company are truly great people. The founder has a big heart and wants to do the right thing for his company and employees.

Cons

The President (not the CEO/founder) will rarely provide the honest truth and instead promotes whatever message he feels he needs to promote to keep the employees in line. The culture is forced and the effort that management puts into trying to force this gets tiresome. The company is full of cliques and the power of these cliques has vast influence on your career while at the company. If you are not part of the 'in crowd', then good luck. Alcohol consumption is an unspoken requirement of said cliques. If you don't drink, then good luck.

Continue reading

"Great company, always working to be ever better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sift full-time for more than a year

Pros

This comes through a lot in previous reviews, but Sifties are great people to work with. I've been routinely impressed with my coworkers' expertise, diligence, empathy, humanity, and work product. The opportunity for the company is tremendous. Great momentum in what we're doing and how we're doing it. Our rebrand is a great example of this. Management has, and continues to, not shy away from difficult decisions. With respect to personnel I much prefer to work at a place that is willing to make tough decisions quickly as opposed to letting thing fester. I think there have been issues with this historically, as evidenced by other posts. That being said the company has definitely made improvements here. Jason. He takes a lot of stick but I have always found him to be available, approachable, and willing to acknowledge that he is still learning as a CEO. He deserves more credit than some afford him for where the company is and how we're doing day to day. He is a primary reason why I joined Sift, why I continue to love it, and why I want to work here well into the future.

Cons

Turnover. A combination of tenured employees leaving, necessary departures, and letting some people go. While I am confident in the decisions we are making and the direction we are headed, it is not without its cost. Not surprisingly you can see this in our drop in Glassdoor ratings over time. Seeing some of our talismans leave hurts. Cliques happen here just as much as they probably do at your current employer. I’m disheartened at reading the frequency of negative experiences others have had, but in my experience this is consistent with other places where I’ve worked. Salespeople tend to hang with salespeople. You eat lunch with people you started with. Etc etc Management could be doing more to acknowledge and take action based on the frustrations of employees. It's tough to receive a similar response time and time again when one, or one's team, feels progress isn't being made. I think non-management could be doing a better job of being more specific when expressing frustration upwards.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sift full-time for more than a year

Pros

The opportunity to work at a startup focused on helping the world fight against fraud is invaluable in today's world. There are many avenues of growth and in every department, you can make tangible changes and get recognized for it. I appreciate the initiatives to allow cross-functional teamwork and the opportunity to actually get to know other teams

Cons

There can be a lack of transparency at times.

"Can't wait to get out"

1.0
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sift full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free food Office location Starting pay is okay, just don't expect any significant increases there after

Cons

- Bad management - All the best talent have left or were ousted by new incompetent management - Creativity is at an all-time low - Brand is not what it once was

Viewing 1 - 10 of 73 English Reviews