Signature Analytics Reviews

Updated Oct 17, 2019

4.4
Signature Analytics CEO Peter Heald (no image)
Peter Heald

"Great recruiting efforts"

I have been working at Signature Analytics full-time

Pros

I initially interviewed with the Talent Recruiter and she has been the best HR representative I have ever met in my career. She knew the job well and was very honest about workload, culture, and pay. After speaking with her, I was immediately scheduled for interviews in the office, including a written assessment of your accounting skills--nothing to sweat about if you know your stuff--and a mock client meeting--again, if you know your stuff then nothing to worry about. Work hours are very flexible and unlimited PTO works well. I have yet to find a managerial position where one is allowed more than 2 weeks of vacation at a time so maximum 2 weeks at a time seems reasonable.

Cons

The office is located in Sorrento Valley so traffic can be a pain going home but this is San Diego and there is traffic everywhere. With flexible hours, one can adjust their hours for minimal traffic impact.

July 23, 2018Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your kind review and feedback. We appreciate hearing from current employees and it really means a lot you took the time to address the perks of our unlimited PTO policy, the interview process (which we strive to keep very honest and transparent), as well as give props to our in-house Recruiter. Regarding the cons, yes the traffic into and out of Sorrento Valley tends to be quite a pain point and one reason we allow for flexibility in work hours so it can be avoided from time to time. Unfortunately it is not something we can control and sort of part of the job at times. Thanks again for your feedback and advice to management!

2. "Good Company to Work For"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Signature Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Semi-Flexible work Schedule, Not always doing the same thing everyday, Interactive Management Team, Social Events for employees, nice work environment in the office

Cons

Salary base is below par, bonus system, Benefits are below par (employer does not offer a 401k match program), Stressful at times

"Manager"

2.0
    Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Orange, CA

I have been working at Signature Analytics full-time

Pros

Good work if you can get assigned.

Cons

The mentorship promised isn't given.

"Not What It Seems"

Current Employee - Accountant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Signature Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

• Flexible hours • Great learning and networking opportunity for newer/younger accountants • Varied client base means you get lots of exposure to different issues • Fun company events • Lively and fun culture • Medical benefits are generous • Will help pay for CPA licensure after the fact (you foot the up-front cost) but no other real development incentives • Engaging CEO makes things fun but still professional

Cons

I would only recommend newer college grads to work here since there really is no high-level work being performed unless you’re a consulting CFO. You do month close and/or clean up and that’s about it. The manager and controller level folks aren’t the strongest and if you’re looking to grow under the tutelage of a more seasoned professional, do it someplace else. • “Flexible PTO” is a lie. Staff must work 157 billable hours a month, which doesn’t include admin hours, which means you’ll end up doing more like 170-200 hours a month, depending on your clients. That means you don’t realistically get any time to take PTO since the billable hours have to be made up elsewhere in a given quarter. Lots of people complain of being overworked and/or underpaid. • Quarterly bonus is a joke. You only get half of it if you hit your billable hours (see comment above) and the other half at management’s discretion, which isn’t guaranteed or quantifiable. • Performance expectations aren’t clearly communicated. This ties into the bonus/promotion scheme as well as professional development. Don’t expect much in the way of feedback or constructive criticism for your betterment. • There is a pervasive group mentality amongst the more tenured folks. Word of caution: don’t run afoul of any of them or they’ll make your job miserable. • No 401k match. • Rotating door of clients means you never really get to do impactful work for them – its usually firefighting and then six months later you’re on a new client. • High employee turnover. Ever wonder why they seem to always be hiring for all positions? Some are due to organic growth but over half are because of folks leaving consistently. • Mentorship is all but non-existent. There really is no meaningful career guidance or professional development. • Commute can be awful depending on where you live.

January 29, 2019

Thanks for your detailed review. We appreciate your honesty in the positives about your experience as well as areas of opportunity for improvement. You are correct in your description of the position. The expectation of our various roles is very different than working for an in-house company as this is very much a consulting role where the staff is expected to work in a client facing position. With that, you may even work with multiple clients at once. Therefore, most of the work we do can be more day-to-day accounting focused. Every client's needs and goals are different and exposure to multiple clients and advancement of tasks depends on your background, skill strengths, level of trust in work, ability to meet deadlines, and at times it just depends on the engagement you are assigned. Some of our clients do not have a CFO on staff; therefore, in those instances, only qualified staff who meet the above criteria and more can manage the engagements from a higher level as it is a very advanced role to fill. We are open to the fact that our business model is not for everyone. Working as a consultant with various clients has its many benefits in regards to exposure to a multitude of projects with varying requirements and skill sets. Also, everyone here is held to specific performance standards which are in line with our company's core value. With that in mind, it's difficult to draw a direct comparison with our various positions and career advancement structure to a specific in-house role within a single company. Given the uniqueness of our business model, we do our best to clearly provide details regarding each position's structure during the interview process. This allows us to also highlight the growth opportunities, benefits, compensation (including bonus), and qualifying expectations. We do this so everyone has an accurate and clear understanding of the challenges they may experience as well. Given our review process & open door policy, current employees have the ability to discuss and better understand these things at any point in time. If there is uncertainty, we encourage anyone to discuss this with their performance manager. We are unhappy to hear about your feelings re "frat mentality" comment. If there are specific issues that should be addressed we would appreciate hearing more and encourage you to reach out to us directly. As a growing company, we've encountered many hurdles that have allowed us to improve not only our business delivery model but also our internal culture. One of our recent changes in 2018 was in structuring & communicating transparency regarding the duties and skill sets around each role and the advancement opportunities for existing and new employees. With our growth goals in mind, there's plenty of room for advancement for motivated employees who fit the model and skills required to excel within our existing markets and new markets we plan to expand into. Thank you for your feedback on our mentor/mentee program. Since this is a new program, there is room for improvement regarding the structure and we appreciate those who provide proactive feedback as we are open to ideas. Given some of the above comments, we hope it is understood that we do focus on the happiness of our employees. Our management team is consistently looking at employee utilization & churn to better understand who is overworked, underworked, and who in need of help. As a company, we can only be successful if this effort is met halfway with the individuals we employ. Knowing that our employees are happy allows them to be successful and have pride in the work which is then passed down to our customers. This kind of success is seen by many of our team members and its ideology enables us to excel in our service delivery model making our customers more successful which in turn makes us successful. We know we are not perfect. Given we focus so much of our culture on continuous improvement, we hope that in the future any individual can discuss issues with management. Upward mobility and a positive culture are some of our key areas of focus and we are proud of our progress and successful track record to date. On a final note, there was much said in this review that we are openly looking at and communicating improvement plans and this was a gentle reminder that we are on the right track! We do appreciate every individual who has chosen to actively participate in our continued growth and success, and that really excites us for the future. Thank you again for your review.

"Great career progression"

I have been working at Signature Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was recently promoted. As long as you work hard you are not micromanaged. Great coworkers. Frequent fun activities with team. Hands on management team that cares about employees.

Cons

Some people get overwhelmed managing multiple clients at a time. This is not for everyone. Other than that no cons

July 23, 2018Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to review and submit feedback! We appreciate the positives and negatives you provided as they are very honest and truthful on all accounts. I wanted to address the con you provided as being correct. We understand that the accounting consulting type of work is not for everyone and we are constantly working very hard to ensure that is understood within the recruiting, interviewing, and hiring process.

"Great Company & Culture"

I have been working at Signature Analytics full-time

Pros

Great work environment and a solid support system. The company is forward looking and constantly striving to encourage their employees to better themselves. Working here allows you to gain experience you really couldn't obtain elsewhere. Positive culture and team members make it a fun place to work. Like-minded and motivated employees drive success. Highly recommend.

Cons

Driving to clients- but you get reimbursed for mileage. Other than that no cons I can think of for the time being.

"Great Work Environment and Flexible Schedule"

Current Employee - Bookkeeper in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Signature Analytics full-time for less than a year

Pros

The office culture and environment is not a stereotypical accounting office. Coworkers are outgoing and collaborative. Events outside the office make coworkers feel more like friends and in my opinion the people you work with is a strong determinant of if work is enjoyable to go to each day. Flexible schedule allows employees to manage their own work responsibilities and not feel micromanaged. As long as you are getting your work done, you are able to have the freedom to work during times that you are most productive.

Cons

First couple weeks can be slow depending on company's need at the time. Work load can quickly transition from trying to find things to do during the work day to being busy and needing to manage schedule.

Continue reading
  8. "I absolutely LOVE working at Signature Analytics!"

Current Employee - Accounting Manager

I have been working at Signature Analytics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Signature Analytics provides employees with the ability to have a flexible schedule and manage their own time. You will learn an incredible amount from the knowledge and experience within the organization. We work hard and play hard! SA hosts numerous social events throughout the year for employees including the Padre game, Del Mar Race Track, catamaran cruise around the bay, happy hours, and a great holiday party.

Cons

All client services can be tough, but you develop the right skills quickly!

"Awesome Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Signature Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility, wide range of client base, opportunity to grow and gain experience in different industries, great co-workers. Overall, a great place to work.

Cons

There is no 401k matching

October 19, 2017Corporate Recruiter

We will note your feedback on the 401K matching. Thank you!

"Staff Accountant"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Signature Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tons of flexibility in my work. I work out of different locations during the week which helps keep work from getting stale. I have had the ability to work with clients in multiple types of industries which has helped with self growth.

Cons

No cons while I have worked at Signature analytics

Found 32 reviews