Signature Analytics Reviews | Glassdoor

Peter Heald

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great recruiting efforts"

I have been working at Signature Analytics full-time

Pros

I initially interviewed with the Talent Recruiter and she has been the best HR representative I have ever met in my career. She knew the job well and was very honest about workload, culture, and pay. After speaking with her, I was immediately scheduled for interviews in the office, including a written assessment of your accounting skills--nothing to sweat about if you know your stuff--and a mock client meeting--again, if you know your stuff then nothing to worry about. Work hours are very flexible and unlimited PTO works well. I have yet to find a managerial position where one is allowed more than 2 weeks of vacation at a time so maximum 2 weeks at a time seems reasonable.

Cons

The office is located in Sorrento Valley so traffic can be a pain going home but this is San Diego and there is traffic everywhere. With flexible hours, one can adjust their hours for minimal traffic impact.

Advice to Management

Continue treating the employees well to retain the good ones.

Jul 23, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your kind review and feedback. We appreciate hearing from current employees and it really means a lot you took the time to address the perks of our unlimited PTO policy, the interview... More

"Not What It Seems"

Current Employee - Accountant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Signature Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Flexible hours
    • Great learning and networking opportunity for newer/younger accountants
    • Varied client base means you get lots of exposure to different issues
    • Fun company events
    • Lively and fun culture
    • Medical benefits are generous
    • Will help pay for CPA licensure after the fact (you foot the up-front cost) but no other real development incentives
    • Engaging CEO makes things fun but still professional

Cons

I would only recommend newer college grads to work here since there really is no high-level work being performed unless you’re a consulting CFO. You do month close and/or clean up and that’s about it. The manager and controller level folks aren’t the strongest and if you’re looking to grow under the tutelage of a more seasoned professional, do it someplace else.

• “Flexible PTO” is a lie. Staff must work 157 billable hours a month, which doesn’t include admin hours, which means you’ll end up doing more like 170-200 hours a month, depending on your clients. That means you don’t realistically get any time to take PTO since the billable hours have to be made up elsewhere in a given quarter. Lots of people complain of being overworked and/or underpaid.
    • Quarterly bonus is a joke. You only get half of it if you hit your billable hours (see comment above) and the other half at management’s discretion, which isn’t guaranteed or quantifiable.
    • Performance expectations aren’t clearly communicated. This ties into the bonus/promotion scheme as well as professional development. Don’t expect much in the way of feedback or constructive criticism for your betterment.
    • There is a pervasive group mentality amongst the more tenured folks. Word of caution: don’t run afoul of any of them or they’ll make your job miserable.
    • No 401k match.
    • Rotating door of clients means you never really get to do impactful work for them – its usually firefighting and then six months later you’re on a new client.
    • High employee turnover. Ever wonder why they seem to always be hiring for all positions? Some are due to organic growth but over half are because of folks leaving consistently.
    • Mentorship is all but non-existent. There really is no meaningful career guidance or professional development.
    • Commute can be awful depending on where you live.

Advice to Management

Your efforts are well received, and some elements of the culture are outstanding but don't let the drive to provide excellent customer service blind you from your shortcomings. Operationally, there are massive hurdles to overcome, particularly with the rotating door of employees and clients. Having a larger budget on client engagements each month will help keep employees happy as well as clients. Don't let the sales staff short sell just to score a win. Ensure the staff you place on each client is capable of acting as a business partner rather than just an outsourced bookkeeper. Also, ensure you keep the "frat" mentality to a decent minimum, especially since it breeds an "us vs them" sort of mentality between the "old guard" and everyone else. Longevity is not always superiority. Finally, really pay attention to the mentor/mentee program you have in place. It needs invigorating if you want to retain top talent on both levels.

Jan 29, 2019

Thanks for your detailed review. We appreciate your honesty in the positives about your experience as well as areas of opportunity for improvement.

You are correct in your description of the... More

"Great career progression"

I have been working at Signature Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was recently promoted. As long as you work hard you are not micromanaged. Great coworkers. Frequent fun activities with team. Hands on management team that cares about employees.

Cons

Some people get overwhelmed managing multiple clients at a time. This is not for everyone. Other than that no cons

Jul 23, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to review and submit feedback! We appreciate the positives and negatives you provided as they are very honest and truthful on all accounts. I wanted to address the con... More

"Great Company & Culture"

I have been working at Signature Analytics full-time

Pros

Great work environment and a solid support system. The company is forward looking and constantly striving to encourage their employees to better themselves. Working here allows you to gain experience you really couldn't obtain elsewhere. Positive culture and team members make it a fun place to work. Like-minded and motivated employees drive success. Highly recommend.

Cons

Driving to clients- but you get reimbursed for mileage. Other than that no cons I can think of for the time being.

"Great Work Environment and Flexible Schedule"

Current Employee - Bookkeeper in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Bookkeeper in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Signature Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office culture and environment is not a stereotypical accounting office. Coworkers are outgoing and collaborative. Events outside the office make coworkers feel more like friends and in my opinion the people you work with is a strong determinant of if work is enjoyable to go to each day.

Flexible schedule allows employees to manage their own work responsibilities and not feel micromanaged. As long as you are getting your work done, you are able to have the freedom to work during times that you are most productive.

Cons

First couple weeks can be slow depending on company's need at the time. Work load can quickly transition from trying to find things to do during the work day to being busy and needing to manage schedule.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire top talent employees that have a collaborative mindset.

"Awesome Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Signature Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, wide range of client base, opportunity to grow and gain experience in different industries, great co-workers. Overall, a great place to work.

Cons

There is no 401k matching

Oct 19, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

We will note your feedback on the 401K matching. Thank you!

"Staff Accountant"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Signature Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of flexibility in my work. I work out of different locations during the week which helps keep work from getting stale. I have had the ability to work with clients in multiple types of industries which has helped with self growth.

Cons

No cons while I have worked at Signature analytics

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Love the atmosphere in the office.

"Lots of flexibility"

I have been working at Signature Analytics part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company provides incredible flexibility so it allows me to work as much or as little as I need to complete the project and tend to client needs. As long as the client is happy, there is no micromanaging of my work. The hours are very flexible, so I don't need to clock in to an office from 9 to 5. I can often work from home or go directly to a client's office while skipping the often unnecessary tedium of "face-time" at the corporate office.

Cons

I have experienced no negative aspects of this job.

Advice to Management

Your obvious efforts to keep your staff happy shines through in their willingness to go the extra mile for you. Thank you for caring about us!

Oct 19, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

5 years and counting! We are lucky to have you!

"A Good Place for Hard Workers"

I have been working at Signature Analytics full-time

Pros

This is a really smart group of people, and the work you get will generally be varied and interesting. They also work hard on maintaining a fun culture, which takes some doing as it is very rare the majority of employees are in the home office on any given day.

Cons

Some days, depending on client load, you will need to work long hours. It will generally be foreseeable, and not too frequent, but if you don't ever want more than 8 hours of work in a day this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on hiring great people and make sure to maintain the internal culture.

"Senior Accountant"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Signature Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great Culture
    -Flexible Schedules
    -Great Managers/Bosses
    -Quarterly Bonuses

Cons

There can be a large workload but with a flexible schedule you can make it work with your schedule.