Simplexity Product Development Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A++"

Former Employee - Firmware Engineer in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Firmware Engineer in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Simplexity Product Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing, tight knit company full of really smart people. You're exposed to a large variety of work and different technologies. You get to own large portions of designs from getting input from customers do designing spec to developing the actual product.

Cons

The nature of the work leads to ebbs and flows, but management takes care to allocate resources for at least a few months in advance.

2. "Exciting projects and great work-life balance"

Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Simplexity Product Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Diversity of projects, you will get introduced to various fields through your work ranging from design of medical devices, manufacturing robots, sports equipment, consumer electronics, 3D printers, etc... I enjoy that I can apply a lot of eclectic knowledge to solve problems in novel and elegant ways
    - the work-life balance is really nice. My managers are very willing to work with me if I'd like to take an extended vacation, or taper back my hours and adjust my pay. Since most of the work is through contracts with various client companies, my hours are usually under 45hrs a week unless specifically asked to work extra for a deadline.
    - company structure/leadership is very open and transparent. I know that our work is contributing to the company growth. It's led by passionate people who intend to make a strong yet easy-going workplace, not to just sacrifice their employee well-being for a profit.

Cons

- This isn't necessarily a 'con' but the stuff you'll be assigned to is sometimes unpredictable. i.e you may ONLY like to work on automotive, but you might be asked to help design a 3D printer. The economy is now strong and there are always an abundance of different contract projects to work on, but some people may rather stick with a particular field their entire career like a larger traditional company.

3. "Thumbs Up!"

Former Employee - Senior Firmware Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Firmware Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Simplexity Product Development (More than a year)

Pros

Simplexity has a great team of people, from each single individual contributor to the CEO. The working environment and culture are outstanding. During my time with the company I grew professionally, while working on a variety of interesting projects for several clients, I felt appreciated and I also built invaluable relationships with my co-workers. Management places high value on transparency, openness, team culture, employee recognition, equal treatment, and work-life balance, while striving for excellence and customer success.
    While with Simplexity, I witnessed the company successfully envision and implement a strategy of becoming leader in mechatronics development on the West Coast.

Cons

Some of the project work requires full-time presence at the customer site, which can continue for several months in a row.

Advice to Management

Keep executing on the company strategy and values.

4. "A Good Experience"

Former Employee - Contract Firmware Engineer in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Contract Firmware Engineer in Vancouver, WA

Pros

From what I could tell, these folks were pros. Leadership was solid. Some of my coworkers had flexible working hours. The folks I interacted with on a technical level seemed more than competent. My mentor was a pleasure to work with. I only left because I got an unsolicited offer I couldn't refuse.

Cons

Can't think of any. Maybe keep the contractors in the loop a bit more?

Advice to Management

Keep on the track you are on.

5. "Excellent employer - client focused, professional and collaborative culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

Pros

- Client focused, with emphasis on delivering highest possible value to customer
    - High level and diverse engineering professional experience across employees
    - Small firm customer focus, with enterprise capabilities and results
    - Great emphasis on work-life balance for part-time employees

Cons

- Flat organization may limit advancement within company
    - Work is project based and can be cyclical

Advice to Management

Continue to hire excellent talent and seek out diverse projects across engineering fields.

"Great employer for Mechanical Design Engineers"

Current Employee - Staff Mechanical Engineer in Rancho Bernardo, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Mechanical Engineer in Rancho Bernardo, CA

I have been working at Simplexity Product Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Simplexity PD provides an opportunity to work on an ever changing variety of projects.

Technical work includes design, finite element analysis, spreadsheet calculations, design of experiments and data crunching...pretty much anything you can think of is possible. It's mostly up to the engineer how "hand-on" vs. "shoot from the hip" vs. "analytical" you want to get with your designs. The company caters to different types of methods/personalities and will work with you if you can achieve success.

If you are bored and stressed over the technical work, simply take on additional projects to pull you through. Due to it's small size, there is ample opportunity to take on responsibilities that directly aid the company. You can help create marketing materials, update the website, suggest CAD and design process improvements and so on. Though I didn't take advantage of this last item - engineers can move into project management, especially by taking lead with a new client from marketing on through design.

- Distinct small company benefits. Most of the managers are owners of the company, so your suggestions, concerns and accomplishments are EASILY recognized by those that matter. Did I mention that every owner is an engineer! Managers are technical and understand career goals, difficulties and accomplishments from the engineer's perspective. Advice: If you're one to let feelings fester regarding work recognition or other issues - DONT! All the owners are easy going and open.

- Learn from experienced engineers. Most engineers at Simplexity retired from HP at one point and have a wealth of experience to share. Simplexity PD is the place to learn from the best in their trades. Engineers here consistently pull-off successful designs while working in completely new industries.

Great benefits and flexibility! Simplexity PD provides part-time work options (benefits included depending on the number of hours worked). Due to the nature of the business, work/life balance gets "occasionally" hectic and is really project dependent. However, Simplexity PD does a great job recognizing your accomplishments through dinner certificates, flexible work hours, comp-days, raises and the occasional telecommute. When the company is profitable, expect happy hours and profit-sharing bonuses as well. Compensation may be below expectations for some, but this is negotiable and the pros definitely outweigh the cons for those who can live with it. Lastly, they provide a slightly above average vacation, full medical/dental/vision, a Christmas party and the rare team building event.

Cons

- The nature of the engineering consultancy business calls for long hours at times. When the company transitions from slow to fast times, an engineer can have 3 projects running at the same time with time pressure for one or more of the projects.

- Onsite contracting for a client. Working onsite at Simplexity PD is great for all the reasons listed above. However, its likely that you'll work onsite at a customer for 6 months to one year at some point in your career. This is a great opportunity to meet new people and see how other companies function; but sometimes this leaves a disconnected "feeling" between you and coworkers from both Simplexity and the client company.

Advice to Management

- Many potential clients and projects are not visible to all employees. Improve communication of exciting projects to all employees - you never know if someone is willing to take on more interesting work.

- Keep the great culture you've created and try not to grow too much or too fast. The close knit atmosphere and direct communication with managers on a daily basis is great!

- Make it easier for offsite employees to work onsite for a few days every week. Consider this a form of team building.

Simplexity Product Development Response

Nov 20, 2015 – President

Thank you so much for the review and suggestions! Starting in Oct 2014, we have started sending monthly updates to all of our employees which highlight projects at both offices, major milestones... More

7. "Challenging assignments, poor management."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

Pros

Challenging assignments, co-workers fun to work with.

Cons

Management does not allocate sufficient resources for assignment, then blames others for their mistakes.

Simplexity Product Development Response

Nov 20, 2015 – President

Thank you for your review. Looking back at the date it was posted, this was at a point in time when we did have to get very aggressive with what we could deliver to clients on a limited budget and... More