Skycatch Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Christian Sanz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Incredible Place to be"

I worked at Skycatch full-time

Pros

- just like all other startups, skycatch went through a phase of finding its market
    - it has done that and then some!!!!
    - they have attracted some incredible engineering talent from around the world
    - management has started listening and has a clear vision regarding execution
    - the product line is disruptive to the verticals they are addressing
    - A class work environment
    - friendly place to work

Cons

- Management can do a better job communicating the vision. The employees see it, but would be good to get face time

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and stay focussed. You have taped into a major opportunity and thank you for the ride. Also thank you for a wonderful work environment

"Managed Top Down - Marginalized Opinions"

I worked at Skycatch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people really make the job, and people I worked with came from a variety of backgrounds. Not everyone went to an Ivy League school. Drones are hot and the product is actually fun to work on.

Cons

You won't get paid what you're worth to satisfy their unreasonable expectations. The office is noisy and there's very little personal space. Their core business is focused on one customer. Your life and future is dependent on that customer's happiness. Your days are spent in meetings and your nights are spent trying to satisfy senior management. Management is extremely reactive and employees have to manage up or succumb to long hours and weekends satisfying unreasonable expectations. The business is extremely unfocused, selling many product lines simultaneously. That means you're always building the next best thing without ever really finishing the last awesome thing you started.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people working for you. Focus on one product line at a time. Build on what's working and don't spread your people thin.
    Listen to the people working for you. Foster a collaborative relationship rather than a dictatorship.
    Pay your people well, reward their hard work and long hours.

"Silly-Con Valley"

I worked at Skycatch full-time

Pros

Some really great people -- most get burned out and leave within a year.

Cons

Truly terrible CEO -- the worst I have ever worked with.
    No business, no products, and no direction. Most of your day is spent dealing with angry commands/orders handed down by the CEO over e-mail and "Voxer". Sometimes they're selling drones, sometimes it's data, sometimes it's software licenses, sometimes it's data processing. Sometimes it's a high-altitude drone, sometimes it's something else. Sometimes he wants you to work on this, sometimes he wants you to work on that. Don't bother saying anything to him -- he won't listen.

Advice to Management

Shut down and return all that money to investors. Stop shilling your employees to write inaccurate Glassdoor reviews.

Skycatch Response

May 9, 2017 – CEO

Voxer and High Altitude are pretty old school, so you probably left back in 2015 or 2014 - we use Slack or WeChat now :-)

2015 was a very difficult year and we made a lot of... More

4. "Great company tremendous potential!"

I have been working at Skycatch full-time

Pros

Skycatch has an excellent group of people that work well together between all functions of the company.

Cons

None. I joined after working at a large company, I couldn't be happier with the change.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on building a product that is scalable

"Incompetent and Unprofessional"

Pros

Beautiful office in downtown San Francisco; ambitious and intelligent Engineers work at the company

Cons

Like all the other reviewers (who aren't astroturfing) say, management is short-sighted and incompetent.

"Great Company with vision, passion and smarts!"

Pros

There is huge opportunity to be part of building something incredible from the ground up, where there's still plenty of room to make a tremendous impact on the company and the industry.

The opportunity to work amongst the best talent the Bay Area has to offer.

The opportunity to build a dynamic and evolving product that is driven by passionate, intelligent and innovative data & tech professionals.

Great leadership that's willing to work hard to mentor their employees, drive our strategy home and achieve our goals!

Great culture and work-life balance

Cons

This is not really a con, but, i encourage teams to continue to work outside of their silos so we can continue to empower cross pollination.

Advice to Management

Continue to Stay Focused on our Strategy and be 100% transparent with employees, this really makes us so happy!!!

"Much better than before, keep working on improving the business"

I worked at Skycatch full-time

Pros

- Team is doing a good job of prioritizing sales and remaining frugal (we're building an actual business people!), can't say the same about other companies I've worked at previously. Way more focused on this than other competitors, which in a space w/o many large exits is great to see.
     - People are extremely nice. Very open to feedback and a good culture of transparency within the org
     - Space is really attractive - talking about the company with my friends was awesome, since drones is such interesting tech.
     - Partnerships are solid - DJI, Komatsu, and Bechtel are fantastic companies in the space

Cons

- New office is kinda cramped
     - Culture could be worked on. As soon as I walk in the door, I should know who they people at Skycatch are and what they stand for
     - Team needs to work on diversity. Engineering team is largely male, and overall company diversity not great. Hard to compare, since most tech companies are like this, but would love to see more of an effort here.
     - Want to see more strategy on how we're going to beat Airware, DroneDeploy, etc. We're too similar and now that they're raising growth capital, deliverables need to be created to destroy them. We're the first in this space, don't let the newbies take the lead (they've definitely caught up far enough).
     - GDL engineering team is very talented, however communication with them is often tough since they're not in physical proximity, slowing down the sales and product cycle (in my eyes)

Advice to Management

Keep prioritizing building this into a rock solid business, prioritize building stronger culture values, and differentiate yourselves from competitors!

"Review"

I worked at Skycatch (More than a year)

Pros

Very talented people that worked for skycatch I would say the best in what they do they worked very hard.Very loyal what you want in a company. willing to go the extra mile. Great product

Cons

Constant product changes. Lack of leader ship or none experienced people on top. to many directions and no support..waste of time and money and no results.

Advice to Management

Too late to change you lost the talent that could have made this company great. sad indeed.

"Short Sighted Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Skycatch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Talented team of hard-workers
    - Leveraging partnership with DJI
    - Nice office

Cons

- Management is one sided, there is a lack of executive leadership
    - Lack of leadership has teams unfocused and scrambling
    - Short sighted company goals, time is spent chasing competitors

Advice to Management

Build a balanced and knowledgable executive team

"Not a lot of substance..."

Pros

In this day and age, companies and PR are very receptive to drones and it's cool to be a part of that trend.

There were good office perks (nice equipment, free food, occasional activities)

Cons

There was a lot over promising to clients and investors.

Leadership was very reactive to feedback and not capable of seeing the massive disconnect between their vision and where the product was.

Lots of pivots on product due to lack of focus. Debilitating to engineers and sales...

Culture of fear. That was the worst.

Advice to Management

Treat employees fairly. Don't be abrasive or rash in your decision making.

Realize when you are wrong and have made bad decisions instead of blaming counterparts and questioning people's work ethic.