Solutia Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Solutia CEO Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

1. "High-level work atmosphere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Solutia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone seemed to be working as hard as they could to achieve the goals of the firm.

Cons

Bought-out by Eastman Chemical and most jobs moving out of St. Louis

2. "Not a bad place to be"

Former Employee - Corporate Financial Analyst
    Former Employee - Corporate Financial Analyst

Pros

salaries are on the high end and working conditions were good. There was a good work life balance for most.

Cons

With the open floor plan, coworkers could be distracting. The worst part was the complete invisibility of senior leadership. Although they were just down the hall, they very rarely came out of their area to interact with employees. Too hierarchical.

Advice to Management

Interact with your employees, it creates an atmosphere of teamwork and makes people feel valued. It takes very little time and little to know resources to improve connectedness and engagement.

3. "Got Laid Off - Not Fun"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Cedar Knolls, NJ

I worked at Solutia part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The salary and benefits were excellent. I worked for a great guy. The work was good. The environment was very nice. I liked my job very much.

Cons

The Home Office made the decision to close our office. I was told that I no longer had job and walked out the door within an hour. I think I had PTSD for weeks afterward.

Advice to Management

Perhaps the people who did the firing could show a tiny bit of compassion. They were so cold. But maybe there really isn't any good way to let someone know that they no longer have a job. And these days you can't let people linger... they may steal information, sabotage the computer network, etc. There was a severance package that was decent, so I give them points for that.

5. "consultant"

Pros

Very progressive manufacturing management especially at the plant level

Cons

IT out of control with misdirected enterprise initiatives

6. "friendly people working hard to bring company back from former bankruptcy"

Pros

Solutia was full of friendly, helpful people. Everyone was welcome, participation and alternate viewpoints were considered, and there are lots of opportunities to distinguish yourself and projects to tackle. Pace of work was very comfortable with a healthy personal life balance, and a strong camaraderie around the office, which extended to off-campus socializing.

Cons

There are a lot of vestiges of the bankruptcy, like out-of-date documentation and aging equipment and physical plant. It was telling that few of the employees were interested in buying company stock.

Advice to Management

I actually think the management is on a good track, I don't know what else I would recommend doing. They've tried to identify strong young candidates and develop from within, and I think that's a healthy approach.

7. "Solutia was a great company before the buy-out by Eastman."

Pros

Set my own work hours, flexible working conditions, employee oriented (before Eastman), great location, in my home state.

Cons

Sold to Eastman, Sold to Eastman, Sold to Eastman, Sold to Eastman, Sold to Eastman

Advice to Management

Was not interested

8. "Pretty good place to work."

I worked at Solutia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people. Management is pretty down to earth most of the time. There were plenty of challenges and the day to day job was interesting. Work and life balance could be kept in check with a bit of effort.

Cons

Given the nature of the cyclical business you always had to be worried about layoffs. Not a lot of opportunities to move up the ladder - people have been there a long time.

9. "Sent my job to China"

Former Employee - Order Fulfillment Team in Fieldale, VA
    Former Employee - Order Fulfillment Team in Fieldale, VA

I worked at Solutia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Sense of family among employees of 10+ years

Cons

Obsessed with rules and regulations to the point of not accomplishing much work. Too many chiefs and not enough indians. They bought the company I worked for and everything was fine for the first several years, not many changes. The chief complaint during 1999-2008 was the sense that my department was frequently chosen to test out the latest management's "social experiment". We went through 5S, "Pay for skills", "OFT concept (open room), ISO, and many other petty/piddly regulations that were basically a drag on our time and made getting the job done very stressful. I used to wonder sometimes if I was there to handle customers or to fill out spreadsheets for management to track what was going on. In 2009 the system was switched to SAP, then like clockwork - six months later the entire customer service operation was farmed out to St. Louis & various Int'l. Centers. We were given the option to move there with an allowance of just 5000 or take a severance package. We had to sign an agreement not to work in the same field for two years if we chose the severance. I had to train my own replacement that was sent to visit from Shanghai. Very awkward. No input from management on the training either. It was basically "Hi, I am here from China to spend five days learning your job, by the way can you give me a ride to my hotel and pick me up too?". Needless to say, I found it a very unpleasant place to work during the last couple of years leading into 2010. At the end, not much good came out of it other than the paycheck.

Advice to Management

If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. Lots of people were impacted by a very poor decision to move jobs away from a small community.

10. ""Continues to regress""

I worked at Solutia full-time

Pros

Was a very good place to work and I was fortunate to advance into several different roles throughout my career and learned quite a bit. Very safety conscious company. A lot of good people work there.

Cons

Upper management at the plant level. Several of the site leadership team members were less than professional. Only listened to certain people. They do things in a very sneaky and unprofessional manner which makes for a very poor working environment. Did not practice what they preached in regards to values.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach especially when it comes to values. People don't work for companies they work for managers. You should think about that as you continue to see people exit the company. It is the HR and plant management at the site level that has made the company one that people want to leave.

11. "Company was bought out"

Former Employee - North American Premium Brands Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - North American Premium Brands Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Solutia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

constant change, travel, opportunity for the right person

Cons

company was bought out, a lot of uncertainty, Executive staff has all been turned over with in the last 2 years.

Advice to Management

create core beliefs and values systems and then implement them