Southern Progress Reviews | Glassdoor

Laura Lang

1. "Good company"

Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Birmingham, AL

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Long hours and not great pay

2. "Fairly positive work environment but high turnover"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Pros

I was an intern (they call them fellows) from 2012-2013. The main pro I can provide might actually be considered a con by some people -- it depends on how you look at it. Since Time Inc. (the parent company of SPC) had already started laying off a lot of people back then, as an intern, you will probably get way more responsibility/experience than expected. For high-achieving college grads, it probably feels great to feel valued and needed (and have something to show other than serving coffee and delivering mail). In some arenas, I was very much doing the same type of work as people my senior by title.

Cons

The con to what I listed above is that of course, you may be doing the same work as other people and have the portfolio that goes with it, but you're doing it at an intern salary--which I'm not entirely sure is fair. They don't pay overtime (or at least didn't in my department), but it seemed like everyone was doing it because the place was so short staffed. Also, there isn't necessarily a job waiting for you when you're done because interns are considered "temps" and to cut corners, Time has an awful lot of temps now. So if the position you would move up to is a temp position, you basically can't move up to it because you will be out of temp hours. A lot of hiring decisions (in terms of what positions are available etc.) seem to be made at the Time Inc. level (so in New York), who are obviously a bit divorced from what's going on in Alabama. As a result, doing well doesn't necessarily mean as much at a big company because your local managers might not have a lot of power in keeping you around. I have to say this as a final con: I think working here in any vicinity is very risky right now. Google "Time Inc. layoffs." They happen about every 6 months. I couldn't recommend working here to anyone I know because I'd feel responsible with my knowledge of how shaking the roster in each department has been over the last several years.

Advice to Management

Birmingham-based management gets my sympathies, really. Their hands seemed tied by a parent company largely cutting jobs right now.

3. "Southern Progress has a history as a premier employer in the south."

Former Employee - Inventory Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Inventory Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Southern Progress full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful environment, awesome work ethic, meaningful business goals, community outreach and appreciation for its own history.

Cons

Too much interference by parent corporation, Time Inc. and old style approach to securing a lasting future. Currently no real investment in long term survival.

Advice to Management

Grab onto new technology, get ahead of the curve in the digital world, leverage the high performing staff that you have.

5. "The best place to work."

Former Employee - Photo in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Photo in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Southern Progress full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

What can I say this company had it all. Everything was great

Cons

High probability of lay off.

6. "Southern Progress, a division of Time Inc."

Former Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Southern Progress full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Local recognition of the company and employees as good community neighbors, involved in projects to assist locals. Decent salaries and paid sick leave.

Cons

Middle management is not good at delegating authority along with responsibilities. Employees are often given the responsibility without the authority to make the project "happen" but instead of seeing this as management error, the blame is placed on the lowly employee.

Advice to Management

Give people a sense of being "in charge" of what they do. If they are given a project, make sure that the employee has the authority to push it through, and give the employee credit, not just the manager of that department.

7. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Southern Progress full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a great company to work for back when things were going well. Great friendly people and the benefits were good.

Cons

Salaries are a bit lower than what I've seen out there.

8. "SPC is a great place to work for those who value family life, but may not always be the most personally fulfilling."

Current Employee - Senior Editor in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Senior Editor in Birmingham, AL

Pros

The company offers flexible hours, opportunities to work from home, and more than adequate time off (vacation and sick time). The company also values employees' need to balance work and home/family life. Benefits are great, especially for those with families. The campus is beautiful, too--a serene, beautifully landscaped area with pockets and nooks where you can sit and read/edit if you need to get away from your desk.

Cons

Communication from upper management is often sparse. Compensation does not seem adequate based on job performance and experience.

Advice to Management

Communicate directly with those who work with you. In times of change, people need to hear from you on a personal level. Even if you are not free to share the details of the directives you've been given, just let that be known. Don't leave people to guess, speculate, and gossip--it only fuels fear.

9. "Once you get here, it's tough to get out."

Former Employee - Editor in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Editor in Birmingham, AL

Pros

2008 was a bad year for Southern Progress with magazines shuttered, over 200 staff laid off and the evisceration of the entire upper management. All this was implemented by Time Inc. of which SP is a subsidiary. Yet, even as the company continues to undergo these massive internal changes, Southern Progress remains a good place to work. The city is lovely and livable, the climate of the company is warm and friendly, and the pay and benefits are very good.

Cons

It can be a bit of a black hole in the publishing world where jobs tend to stay in the NY family so to speak.

Advice to Management

Well, there is no senior management anymore but I would tell Time Inc and Ann Moore that it makes no sense to kill the golden goose. Magazines at SP make money and cost less than those produced in NY. Rather than continuing to siphon off resources in Birmingham, perhaps the UK's IPC division could take a hit instead?

10. "Southern Progress is a great place non-breadwinners."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Birmingham, AL

Pros

SPC recognizes the importance of a healthy work/life balance. Benefits are wonderful. Work enviroment is gorgous.

Cons

Pay is pitiful. Very limited growth potential

Advice to Management

none

11. "Great potential, bad employer"

Former Employee - Analyst in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Birmingham, AL

Pros

It offers good time off, such as maternity leave and sick time. They are pretty flexible and will work with you on your schedule. It completely depends on your department and supervisor as to whether you like your job. Most bosses are great but some are very difficult and they can undermine HR if they want to.

Cons

It has layoffs several times a year. New York has permanantly damaged the company and I don't know if it will ever be the same. It used to have a great company culture but now it is comletely ruined.

Advice to Management

Invest in people.