Southwest Human Development Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Ginger Ward

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Genuine care of employees' well-being"

I have been working at Southwest Human Development full-time

Pros

You are working in the mental health field, even if it doesn't seem obvious. SWHD cares about the well-being of their employees because they know we can't help others if we haven't first helped ourselves. They offer an amazing benefits package which includes free therapy. This alone tells me the quality of the employer is high. They aren't worried about the bottom line; they care about people.

Cons

They don't offer maternity leave which is unfortunate considering 80+% of the entire company is made up of females with a female CEO. That's no deal breaker, trust me. They may not have a formally established maternity/paternity leave, but they will definitely work with you when life happens.

2. "Opportunity to skill build - need more opportunity for advancement"

I have been working at Southwest Human Development full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility
    Skill Building
    Reflective Supervision
    Support in understanding the job and how to meet provider needs in an every changing environment

Cons

Not as much room for growth if looking for future advancement

3. "Family Support Specialist- Healthy Families"

I worked at Southwest Human Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a small case load, plenty of supervision, and relatively easy paperwork. The whole company shuts down between Christmas and New Years and all employees are paid for this. I had the ability to work independently without being micro-managed. I was able to flex my time.

Cons

There is not much room to move up which contributes to turnover. The outreach policy for clients is excessive, made me feel like a stalker.

4. "Parent Partners Plus"

Former Employee - Community Development Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Community Development Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Southwest Human Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and great pay

Cons

Manager was a micro manager. I got the sense she felt threaten if one of her staff was being individually recognized by one of the partner agencies. The position itself doesn't offer much experience, it's kind of like a non-profit call center. Coworkers are great and supportive, it's just the manager that is the issue.

Advice to Management

be more supportive and less condescending.

5. "It was a job, not career"

I worked at Southwest Human Development full-time

Pros

I enjoyed my coworkers, supervisor and many of the staff there.

Cons

Quid pro quo. That is all. Anymore and this will not be anonymous but there's a lot more negative I could write here.

6. "Favoritism"

Pros

To watch one of the supposed best places to work in Phoenix slide down to 6th last year, and if you fill out their survey, they'll know who did

Cons

If you're not a minority working there, you're not going to make it. So many of them walk around and look busy, but don't do anything and it's just okay.

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror

"No support = good luck!"

Pros

The company is great. The job is not. SWHD is making a lot of great strides in providing quality family services. Decent benefits. My shift works perfectly for me, but I have heard others complain that their schedule is less flexible.

Work for the company, DO NOT work as a CDS or CDA - I would even heavily warn you to stay away from the FSS (family support specialist) position.

Cons

Working as a Child Development Specialist for a month I can already see that this position sets you up for failure. Regardless of your good intensions, you are held 100% responsible for everything pertaining to the child regardless if that responsibility is "shared" with your assistant or your Family Support Specialist.

On top of that, don't count on anyone to actually help you understand your position. Minimal support for co-workers, less from supervisors.

Advice to Management

Understand that you cannot throw someone into a position and hope they just learn it all on their own. Almost all of the extensive training you make mandatory for your workers is not beneficial to the teachers who have no clue what they're supposed to do. And don't reprimand the teachers when they don't know they're supposed to do something as there is no list of everything we are responsible for, much less anyone who actually specifies what they are.

Most importantly, give your teachers time to adjust to their kids and the classroom. Having constant coaches, mentors, managers, and other people supervise the classroom on a daily basis makes it nerve-wrecking for the teachers and makes the children act crazy since they don't know you and want to interact and learn more about who you are and why you're there.

"Out of touch"

Pros

Ok benefits for non-profit organization. Nice co-workers to work with. Good work environment and office. CPR training and some education to help you with your job.

Cons

The leaders are not in touch. Many people in company are not qualified for job. Not connected to the employees. Pretend to care and follow "best practices". Don't let you do your job and get in the way for no reason. Don't know normal policies for a business.

Advice to Management

Trust staff to do their job and fire people who can't do their job. Stop managing people so closely. Give raises when people do their job well.

"Agency review"

Former Employee - Mental Health Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Mental Health Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Southwest Human Development full-time

Pros

This company has good benefits including a strong education reimbursement/training budget.

Cons

The management and senior management are protected at all costs. They look for the negative not the strengths of their employees. They also "write people up" easily. As an employee, you do not feel supported by supervisors.

Advice to Management

Management needs to do some reflection on their own objectives and support other staff. This will help with employee retention and moral.

10. "Secretary"

Pros

Great company to work for. Wonderful benefits!

Cons

nothing negative to report from my time working at this location