StarMine Reviews | Glassdoor

StarMine Reviews

Updated Oct 6, 2014

Found 6 reviews

4.5
StarMine CEO Joe Gatto (no image)
Joe Gatto
  1. "StarMine was great"

I worked at StarMine full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

StarMine was a great place to work with smart people who were motivated to make a great product. Nice team building functions.

Cons

Frequent new product introductions meant continual need to learn new material. Competitor with our data providers led to need to be acquired.

Advice to Management

Wish it could have lasted for longer. Better communication with parent once we were acquired could have made a difference.

StarMine2014-10-06
  2. "Knew how to develop quality software on time, every time"

I worked at StarMine

Pros

Software is hard to develop because, often, senior managers don't trust their engineers and impose false deadlines. StarMine's senior managers were engineers so they understood the process.

Cons

Had a few prima donnas

StarMine2013-10-12
  3. "Great laid back place to work!"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at StarMine for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is laid back. People are intelligent. People grab lunch together. Dress is a bit more on the casual side (not completely though). As you can tell, work atmosphere is great. Free coffee available too (though they're not very good. Didn't stop me from drinking 2+ cups a day though...)

Cons

Pay isn't as high as you might expect. No free snacks/drinks.

StarMine2013-03-11
  4. "Great experience working for a well-run company that built innovative investment management SAAS software."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at StarMine full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Super smart & talented employees; great management team.

Cons

Be prepared for direct critiques of your work and ideas.

StarMine2012-09-18

"Innovative, entrepreneurial firm -- the best job I've ever had!"

in San Francisco, CA

I worked at StarMine

Pros

A lot of firms describe their culture as a meritocracy. Few actually are. StarMine is an exception. Those who work hard and make a contribution will do well. One of the best things about the firm's culture is the nearly total absence of corporate politics. There are very few layers of management at StarMine and members of the management team are, without exception, excellent. The firm is headed by its founder,... Joe Gatto, a brilliant and focused leader. And, among those of us in the rank-and-file, I've never worked with such an exemplary group of individuals - every one of them smart and hard working. There's not a slacker among them. A rare, outstanding company to work for.

Cons

The downside is that StarMine has been acquired by Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters is a huge company and, by definition, lacks the entrepreneurial drive of a small firm like StarMine.

Advice to Management

Thomson Reuters would do well to retain and promote the leadership at StarMine and strive to become more like it, rather than let StarMine slip and become more like its new parent.

StarMine2009-08-11

"Great place to work"

I worked at StarMine

Pros

great product, smart people, growing business, fast product revisions good perks -- paid for home internet, cell phone, free snacks in office

Cons

thomson reuters acquisition, financial services meltdown, market becoming more competitive. The size of the company is a disadvantage as companies try to centralize buying.

Advice to Management

The integration with Reuters and then Thomson Reuters could have been handled better. StarMine people were not given enough training on the new products.

StarMine2009-10-09