StarTech.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Paul Seed

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some good people, pretty good pay, above average benefits (in 7 reviews)

• No overtime, work life balance is great (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Good people have left HR, the people side of the business in direct relation to his appointment (in 4 reviews)

• Most of the good people are gone (in 2 reviews)

1. "customer service advisor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canal Winchester, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canal Winchester, OH

I have been working at StarTech.com (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, good reputation, career advancements

Cons

Small company. hR is in canada

2. "Solid Company"

I have been working at StarTech.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

While the CEO has taken a step back from the day to day in recent years, I do believe he genuinely cares about his employees.

Longer term employees (+5 years) or individuals who haven't really had much experience outside of StarTech.com tend to take the 'perks' for granted. There are fair bonuses paid for quarterly performance, end-of-year bonuses paid around the holidays, regular celebrations, lunches, swag (jackets, water bottles, dessert days, etc...) but people always seem to be complaining.

Employees are given the opportunity to further their education with the financial support of the company.

Solid recognition system that uses "Achievers" and each employee is given a budget each month with which to reward colleagues.

Paid time off to spend time in the community. Plus a generous community donation to the United Way both on behalf of the company but also out of pocket by Paul Seed.

Benefits, RRSP, Vacation are in-line or better than similar size companies.

There are a lot of opportunities to make StarTech.com a great place to work, but it is up to the individual to ask and pursue those opportunities. Some employees tend to feel entitled and expect that them showing up from 9-5 warrants an exorbitant amount of recognition & reward.

Cons

- Communication is inconsistent throughout the organization
    - Colleagues can sometimes feel entitled and whiney which is draining on the morale of those who want to work and contribute and thrive in challenging environments.
    - My advice to employees is, if you're truly unhappy coming to work every day, please go find something else to do. Life is too short to be miserable.

Advice to Management

- Trust your Managers with more decision making authority
    - Take your time with Executive Hires. Certain execs hired in the last 5 months come across as arrogant and inexperienced and not a positive force on team morale.
    - Demonstrate respect for individual contributors
    - Execs and Senior Leadership should be more visible. Very few are ever seen interacting with the team except for when very obviously mandated by their boss (i.e., Halloween).

3. "Great place to work, If you work for a Great Manager!"

Current Employee - NONE in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - NONE in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at StarTech.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I believe it is the manager that can "make or break" a job, i.e. it's the manager that makes the job easy going, fun, gives you the flexibility to work from home whenever you need to - no questions asked. No overtime, work life balance is great! Go home and forget about work. Late for work, it's okay as long as you make up the time. Work environment is also easy going, miss a date when working on a project, it's okay, as long as you have a valid reason. The internal departments are understanding.

Cons

There's not much opportunities to move up, but that's normal I think with larger companies, especially if people love there jobs. New positions open from time to time depending on need, but out of the years I've been here I only saw a couple opportunities to advance. Career paths are in the works, so hopefully we will have that soon!

Advice to Management

I think in our area management is doing a great job, otherwise I would have left already. I just wish that for jobs opening in our department, that we the members of the department are considered for the job before it's open to the rest of the company to give us an opportunity to learn and grow and advance in our careers. Instead of opening it up to everyone in the company, and taking away our opportunities, because those in the department likely want to stay in the department when they advance. It's unlikely that I'd want to leave my area of specialization to advance.

4. "One of the best in London"

Pros

Great people in an engaging and challenging environment

Cons

Location is not great for access to restaurants and other external services.

5. "Accounting Assistant"

Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in London, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in London, ON (Canada)

I worked at StarTech.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Environment, good hours, good benefits.

Cons

Not much room to develop career.
    Micro managing at certain level.

Advice to Management

Be dynamic, be close to core team.

"Working for Startech.com"

Former Employee - Sales, Account Manager in London, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales, Account Manager in London, ON (Canada)

Pros

I worked for Startech.com for 7 years. The only reason I left was because I decided to move to a different country for personal reasons.

The individuals who work at Startech.com are phenomenal on a professional and personal level.

The management team is fantastic. While working there, it truly felt like I was part of a family. It didn't feel like there were several departments, we were one team.

Cons

Empowered supply chain to deny sale opportunities instead of evaluating them on a case by case scenario with both teams.

Advice to Management

Bring back Michael Canic. He was the best thing!

"Iron out the People side of things"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, ON (Canada)

I worked at StarTech.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to global processes, companies, and peers. Empowerment to "figure it out". Lots of processes to develop and enhance, so they are open to change and improving things. Ideas are heard.

Cons

Disastrous shake up in HR, with the flattening of leadership, left with an unvetted consultant who did not know what he was doing. Good people have left HR, the people side of the business in direct relation to his appointment. He's gone now, but the damage is done.

Advice to Management

Make HR a priority. Take care of the people who take care of the people.

"Great company culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, ON (Canada)

Pros

The company culture is very friendly and open. The company values teamwork and listens to new ideas. It is a growing company who has a pretty good bonus scheme as well.

Cons

As the company is going through an organization restructuring, job security is not very good at this time. However, there will be opportunities in the future .

Advice to Management

The company is undertaking some operation improvement projects but operation efficiency is an essential part moving forward.

"Great environment, but forgets about senior employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, ON (Canada)

I worked at StarTech.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment. Most of the people is great, and really easy to work with. Managers are great and some are very smart.

Cons

The salary difference between peers in the same department can be astronomical. Being a new hire is good at this company as you would usually make much more than people that have been there more than 5 years. You can be a high performer year after year and will not get rewarded at all (salary). Promotions are not always based on the best fit (education & skills)

Advice to Management

Don't forget about the people who made you great. Employees that have been high performers should be kept and make better salary than new hires.

"Company in growth mode - lots of opportunity."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at StarTech.com full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity for individuals and for the company as a whole.

Great people that like each other, and have created some very successful outcomes.

The pace is quick, you stay busy, and is always something new to learn.

Benefits are great - lots of perks.

My experience with the Senior Leadership has always been very positive - they care and are appreciative of the work that employees do.

Cons

There are lots of growing pains as a company matures. Change is difficult, and with growth happening at such a quick pace, it can be challenging to keep 300+ people moving in the same direction and communication flowing. This is a work in progress.

Advice to Management

Keep communication flowing and engagement top of mind. There has been a lot of upheaval over the last 2 years, which has made people uncomfortable. If there is care and consistency in the messaging, at all levels and across all departments, this discomfort can be minimized, making people feel more confident about the future.