Strategy Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Strategy Institute Reviews

Updated Mar 4, 2019

Found 32 reviews

2.6
Strategy Institute CEO David Laird (no image)
David Laird

"Good stepping stone - poor leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Strategy Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They provide good opportunities for taking on new responsibilities which is good for personal growth

Cons

Company was volatile with many people coming / going, mostly due to issues with the CEO. Did not see much growth over 4 years there

Strategy Institute2019-02-07

"Prod"

I have been working at Strategy Institute full-time

Pros

L o c a t i o n

Cons

- low pay, bad benefits - CEO micromanages, takes advantage of employees, rude, just cares about money - toxic work environment - task distribution is uneven

Advice to Management

Please treat your employees well.

Strategy Institute2019-03-05

"Sales Executive"

I worked at Strategy Institute full-time

Pros

Great location. Cool neighbours. Friendly colleagues. Good place to start your career if you are a recent grad or if you have recently arrived in the city or country.

Cons

Extremely poor and volatile management. Pay is less than industry standard. Lack of transparency. Exploitative.

Advice to Management

This company is in dire need of modernization and twenty-first century ethics. Sell your company if you can bring it up to required standards.

Strategy Institute2018-12-02
  4. "My experience as a sales rep"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Strategy Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked for several organizations, and I must emphasize that Strategy Institute's office is the most beautiful office I've experienced working in. It's Fung Shui is on point = D. The office is also equipped with cool apple computer systems, which makes it swift to deliver on work. Working in sales, there's a lot that is required of each sales person, such as high volume of calls and follow ups, etc... The... reason for this, is because the conferences produced @ SI have a high level of attendance (over 100-400 attendees). Although there's a lot of pressure in this sales work, if you're successful in delivering your targets, you'll make A LOT of money- higher than most companies in this industry. There aren't many people on the sales team, as the team is very lean. Each sales person has a lot of work to deliver on. And so to succeed in being a part of the sales team, you need to be among the best of the best in this industry to be able to deliver on the assigned targets.

Cons

The challenge with this, is that there's a lot of pressure on the sales team to consistently deliver, and this may be perceived as "too much to handle" for some people. If you can't handle the pressure and changes that happens in this industry and this line of work, you'll have a difficult time thriving here. The culture is "go go go" a lot of the times because the business is very lean. And so if you're not... hustling, you're not going to do well here.

Advice to Management

As this business is very lean and requires a lot of focus and work out put, hiring the right people who can effectively handle the heat and thrive in this environment will be critical. As the pressure can be very high at times, the company needs to come together and celebrate together more often.

Strategy Institute2018-06-08

"Anonymous Employee"

I have been working at Strategy Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

Downtown office. Cozy working environment. Supportive team and manager. Work-life balance

Cons

A couple of things should be improved: Transparent communication Advanced technology skills Punctuality KPIs set-up for employee performance

Strategy Institute2017-12-14

"Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Strategy Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been working for Strategy Institute since August of 2017. Before SI, I have acquired over 3 years experience within this industry from another employer. The difference between SI and my previous employer, is that SI has a more sophisticated business structure and process. SI also provides a beautiful office and environment to work in, and great apple computer systems to work from. In addition to this, the... leaders gives every one the benefit of doubt that every body is doing what's required of them from their work. This has it's pro's and con's: - the pro's are that you're not feeling micro managed, and you're able to be work within feeling like someone is micro managing you - the con's are that, employees who are not committed to doing the work, will use company hours to do other non-related work activities (more of my thoughts below) On my first day in the office, I remember looking at the sales board, and I was amazed at how much revenue the best sales reps brought in (which are unheard of in competing companies). This, along with the likeness of working for a kind hearted CEO David Laird and sr. management team, I knew that with hard & smart work, focus and attention, I could make an exciting living working for the organization.

Cons

Through my time working for the company, I have been literally shocked at the behaviors, immaturity, and attitudes of some of the employees they've hired. Some of them were barely making calls, and were spending company time watching youtube video's and working on their own independent outside projects. These same individuals were also pretending to call prospects and clients. I have never in my experience... have worked with such unprofessional sales reps, who I am sure are the ones that have written the negative reviews. They also give millennials more of a bad name. **** THIS IS THE HONEST TRUTH **** I'm writing this review because I feel terrible for the leaders of this organization, and the back lash they've received, when they are some of the kindest people I've ever met in a work place.

Advice to Management

Be more effective at hiring staff- maturity, experience, work ethic, and commitment to excellence needs to be at the very minimum the requirements to be successful at the job in such a sophisticated industry. Team building with all the leaders needs to happen, so that all the leaders can be aligned, n sync, and lead the organization together. Standards of excellence on the job needs to be clearly defined and... communicated, and all staff who we keep must be able to deliver on these standards. Don't be afraid to let go of the bad apples, who do more whining and complaining about "working" and bad talking the company. Invest in building the current leaders you have now, so we can push the company to greater success.

Strategy Institute2017-11-14

"be careful"

Former Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON

I worked at Strategy Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

location some managers ok nice building not a lot more

Cons

David is not a president you want to work for!!!

Advice to Management

i can't help you

Strategy Institute2017-11-17

"Great place to kickstart your career if you are a new grad"

I worked at Strategy Institute full-time

Pros

During my time here I received AMAZING guidance from the data entry supervisor. He would always encourage growth and continuos learning. Aside from that, the data entry team had their own office. It was good because it was pretty much drama free there and we were away from all the problems happening in the main office. (I don't know what was happening in the other office half the time, but it is better to not know).... I was lucky to be part of a team with a strong bond and where everyone was supportive of each other. I truly am grateful to have been part of such a wonderful team! Don't let the negative reviews discourage you from joining the data entry team.

Cons

The pay was low, unliveable even. Sometimes you may feel excluded from the rest of the company, feels like you are working for another company

Advice to Management

There is always a reason behind every negative review. It seems as if the problems aren't even being addressed. “To lead people, walk behind them.” - Lao Tzu

Strategy Institute2017-09-22

"Data Entry/Research Team is good for new grads looking for an opportunity!!!"

Former Employee - Marketing Database Researcher (Data Entry Team) in Toronto, ON

I worked at Strategy Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

The team works in a different office (Office 404) and is largely undisturbed by the issues/problems in the main office. I would say it almost feels like we are in a different company most of the time. So, don't be put off by the other negative reviews on here. It is a good place to start for new graduates lacking in experience. This team in particular, forges a strong friendship and bond that makes work enjoyable.... The supervisor is a nice and supportive man who always has your back. Also, you learn extra skills while on the job and you have a supportive team that backs you up.

Cons

You might feel down at times having to feel like the work you do does not matter. However, this makes you develop willpower and to persevere. Your end reward will be a character of steel.

Advice to Management

NA

Strategy Institute2017-09-21

"Lack-of-Strategy Institute"

I worked at Strategy Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

One senior manager really seems to care and she tries to improve things for her employees but is being constrained by what she is allowed to do. The office is in a good location and a lot of the people who work there are really friendly and easy to get along with.

Cons

The great favouritism of certain departments and people - as seen in the Nov 14th ‘Sales Executive’ post some departments are given more praise and rewards (dinners, incentives, congratulatory emails, bonuses) and their achievement are put ahead of others through methods such as the sales boards when marketing makes as many sales and are not appreciated enough for that. Sales and sponsorship probably have the... lowest turnover. In Other departments people are very dissatisfied and not compensated enough for the work they do. People are always going after each other - also seen in the post I mentioned. No one works to help each other and it makes working together so much harder. Sales and sponsorship think they are above the other departments and nothing is ever their fault and they can be very rude and big headed which is just fed from the CEO and the systems in place. CEO - he does not manage money or people well. The company never has enough money to pay for events but are happy to pay for expensive dinners for certain departments. He is also very old fashioned and is holding back change which would greatly improve the company. It might be nice that we all have apple computers but some departments don’t have software that is essential to their. Also pretty much all positive reviews are requested by the CEO to try and improve the impression of the company to balance out the real negative reviews which shows the feelings of the vast majority of staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to the changes the employees think the company needs and it will be so much better for the employees but also help improve the companies performance.

Strategy Institute2017-11-16