Superstructures Reviews | Glassdoor

Paul Millman

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Project Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Superstructures full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment in the accounting department and all around. I worked in accounting and got to learn a lot about what engineers and architects do and interact with project managers. Loved my boss. She manages her employees in such a way to check that accounts are entered accurately but is not a micromanager. great coworkers.

Cons

Not much room for growth unless you have an accounting degree/CPA. You can be come a manager and make good salary but that's it.

2. "Professionals !"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Superstructures (More than a year)

Pros

you will learn a lot

Cons

hard to find your way at first !

Advice to Management

make things more simplified

3. "A great employer for engineers and architects"

Current Employee - Project Architect in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Superstructures full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My past five years of working for Superstructures have been a very rewarding time. The company has an unparalleled pool of knowledge and resources in the restoration / historic preservation field. Superstructures uses cutting edge technology with an in-house IT team that develops new software and applications. There are many experienced engineers that are all willing to help advance projects and resolve technical questions. The principals are approachable and friendly. Altogether the work environment is very professional yet relaxed, and with a great team spirit.
    As an architect the spaces that I spend my time in are important to me: the light-flooded office with its high ceilings and large windows is a pleasure to go to every day (especially when compared with the dark and cramped office spaces that many other firms have). The salary and benefits are great.

Cons

A lot of work is done outside on construction sites, in close collaboration with contractors. I like that a lot but it is not for everybody. Also facade inspections are sometimes done from suspended scaffold etc. which I don't have a problem with, but some people do.

Advice to Management

The specific technologies and software tools that are being used could use a bit more in house training for new employees.

4. "Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Superstructures full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I give SUPERSTRUCTURES a five-star rating as an employer because of all the opportunities it offers – to be part of a great team in a friendly atmosphere, to learn from a large staff of experienced architects and engineers, and to work on every phase of a project from beginning to completion. The firm has its own technologically advanced building restoration system, putting us at the forefront of the field. And perhaps most important for my job satisfaction is the opportunity to make the city I love even better. Our projects give me the chance to explore the rich history, heritage, and art of New York and to help preserve it.

Cons

None. It is great place to work.

Advice to Management

The only advice I would have for management is that I hope they would continue their practice of fostering staff development and providing paths for career advancement.

5. "Exterior Restoration Specialists - Engineering and Architecture"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Superstructures full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The firm offers engineers and architects who are interested in exterior restoration a chance to work on a lot of interesting projects on all the many types of buildings in NYC and the region. But I am in the administrative side of the company so for me the pros are 1) good compensation and benefits; 2) comfortable and spacious office in a cool building; 3) very conveniently located to transit; 4) good work/life balance; and 5) generally easy-going but knowledgeable management.

Cons

As with most places I've worked there are sometimes communications issues giving rise to inefficiencies, etc., but these are generally addressed quickly, and usually can be avoided with proper planning.

Advice to Management

My only advice to management would be that the principals could engage in more outreach to communicate their vision to the firm's professional staff at all levels.

6. "Should be a "Best place to work""

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Superstructures full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I just finished reading the Crain’s best places to work issue. It seems Superstructures has never entered one of these, but I think it definitely offers all the advantages of the firms that are listed – flexible time, 401k/s with no required employee contribution, excellent healthcare coverage, continuing education, work life balance, free food, etc. We don’t have yoga or foosball, but an intangible benefit of working here is that everyone here enjoys the prestige of working at a professional firm that’s widely considered to be the best at what it does, and enjoys working on a day to day basis with professionals who are among the best at what they do.
    -And you get free metro cards.

Cons

No yoga or foosball or ping pong

Advice to Management

Management should enter a “best places to work” survey next year

7. "Good balance of office and field work"

Current Employee - Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Superstructures full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Varied experience. I have been here for a little over three years and have worked on more than 20 projects. Some of these projects I have seen though from start to finish. I personally feel it offers a good balance between office and field work. I like the studio system because it gives me a lot of the benefits of a small office experience but the resources of a larger firm. I have recommended the firm to a colleague from architecture school. She will be joining the firm soon.

Cons

I can not really say there are any major negatives. I enjoy working here and I enjoy the people I work with.

8. "Best NYC firm (in this professional niche)"

Current Employee - Principal in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Principal in New York, NY

Pros

Very smart, dedicated colleagues, admirable mission (preservation and improvement of NYC), strong embrace of sophisticated technology, good work/life balance (overtime not encouraged - employees are compensated for every hour worked), attractive office with great views, "studio" system which simulates a small office environment , continuing education, lots of free food

Cons

Difficult to coast, extremely high standards for work product, a lot of direct client contact and associated responsibility which may be stressful for certain employees

Advice to Management

improve intra office communication so that each employee is more fully aware of what his/her colleagues are working on

9. "Sorry I had to leave"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Superstructures full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great location, great atmosphere, great office space, worked with some really smart people, great work/life balance, o/t not demanded.

Cons

The office is a very large space so it is a long walk any time you need to use the ladies room.

10. "Project Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Superstructures full-time

Pros

Great benefits - includes health insurance, paid time of 3 weeks. and flexibility for hours of operation as long as it is pre-discussed with upper management

Cons

Hard to move up in position.