Tanner Reviews | Glassdoor

4.9
Tanner CEO Jeff Bickel
Jeff Bickel
  1. Featured Review

"Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Tanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Tanner has built an incredible culture Extremely fair with compensation packages Unlimited time off each year Extremely generous 401 K contributions Generous HSA contributions each year Annual health insurance premium increases have been absorbed by the firm for the past few years Great family oriented work environment They create opportunities for work/life balance (Disneyland, summer party, Christmas... party) Fun work environment Manager, Directors, and Partners are great friends and mentors I have made a lot of friends at work and we even get together outside normal business hours I have encouraged a number of my colleagues to apply and work at Tanner I don't feel like I am ever micro-managed, but I am coached every time I make a mistake Everyone is working to reach firm-wide goals, and they are not just annual public upper-management statements

Cons

I work a lot of hours, which it to be expected in my industry

Advice to Management

Maintain Jeff Bickel as the managing partner. He is awesome to work for.

Tanner2019-01-21
  2. "Next Gen Firm"

Current Employee - Tax Partner in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Tanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Entrepreneurship permeates this organization! From the clients to the employees to the management team, everyone is working together to create value. There is a culture of learn, grow, respond quickly to mistakes, pivot, try out new ideas and become a better person while you are here.

Cons

The firm is growing and creating opportunities for professionals. However, if you are someone that needs to be told to do something or wants someone to lead the way first before asking you to do something, you may find yourself waiting. The firm lends itself to those who aren't afraid to try something new or those who aren't shy of speaking up and taking on new challenges.

Advice to Management

Continue to create opportunities while keeping the local, non-corporate culture. Don't be afraid to push bigger responsibilities down to younger, less experienced members of the firm.

Tanner2019-06-13
  3. "Great Firm"

Former Employee - Audit Senior

I worked at Tanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great professional setting, knowledgeable partners, wide range of clients in many industries

Cons

Inadequate due diligence on implementing multiple new operating programs led to enormous amounts of wasted time, low wage increases (even for top performers)

Tanner2019-06-18
  4. "Tanner LLC"

Current Employee - Senior Audit Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Tanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance during non-busy season months Great partners, managers, seniors, and staff work for the firm Regular coaching sessions and training's specific to your level Matching contribution and safe harbor for 401(k)

Cons

It's public accounting and can be draining during busy season Health insurance isn't the greatest for a family

Tanner2019-05-11
  5. "Great Environment and Opportunities"

Current Employee - Staff Auditor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Tanner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunities to learn and grow. Constant ability to gain new work and personal experiences. Great people to work for who understand the importance of balancing work achievements and life responsibilities. The firm is growing strongly, providing opportunities for career advancement.

Cons

Health insurance is fairly expensive for a family on a new staff salary. The office is not large enough to accommodate the growing number of staff members. Although this is really only an issue outside of busy season, as most auditors are not working from the office much during that time.

Advice to Management

More could be done to optimize the amount of local travel done by staff. Often staff are assigned to jobs over an hour away from home when there are jobs being done within ten minutes of where they live. This would allow staff to be much more efficient with their time, and not wear them down as much during busy season. Ultimately, this could be a big item to help drive down employee turnover.

Tanner2019-05-11
  6. "Great public accounting firm"

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Tanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

The firm balances rigorous busy-season demands with flexible off-seasons and great family activities. There are opportunities for growth and mentoring at all levels.

Cons

The compensation does not always seem to make up for the hours required during busy season.

Tanner2019-05-01
  7. "Great firm!"

I have been working at Tanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Tanner is a great firm that has one of the best cultures I've encountered. The work can be stressful and certainly isn't for everyone but in the professional services sector it's difficult to find a firm that will support your career and give you opportunity to grow as well as Tanner does. Beyond that, the benefits package is good (HSA and 401k contributions, reasonable premiums) and there's an open PTO policy.

Cons

There's some long hours involved in this work but that's to be expected.

Tanner2019-04-16
  8. "Good Management Team"

Current Employee - Audit Associate

I have been working at Tanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tanner does an excellent job with the hiring process. Wonderful people to work with.

Cons

It is a public accounting firm.

Tanner2019-03-07
  9. "Excellent Firm | Top Quality | Great Values | Wonderful Culture"

I have been working at Tanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

• The firm cares about each employee and focuses on building them up for their future careers. • Great 401k offer in comparison to other firms. • Ability to work from home when needed. • Outstanding work/life balance. The firm will hold family centered events (i.e. Disneyland trip, renting out a theater to watch a movie, outdoor food truck social). • Open PTO allows employees to take more time off during the... slow times of the year. • Excellent management.

Cons

• A good amount of overtime during the year. However, this is expected in this type of industry. • While open PTO is a benefit it is difficult to know just how much time you can and should take off. • Parking is not free while at the firm.

Advice to Management

• Create more opportunities for partners to get to know the staff.

Tanner2019-02-21
  10. "Best CPA firm to work for!"

Current Employee - Audit Manager

I have been working at Tanner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Tanner has a great mindset to serve clients and employees. -Phenomenal culture of growth, family, and success. -Open PTO policy. -Great work/life balance (family parties, movie events, Disneyland, and more). -I tell all of my friends and people I know that I would never leave Tanner to go to another public accounting firm.

Cons

Standard industry woes - seasonal busy season. Parking is not paid for.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the needs of employees and clients. Continue to be understanding of people's situations and seeking to better the lives of everyone you interact with.

Tanner2019-02-19