TechAmerica Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
TechAmerica President & CEO Shawn Osborne
Shawn Osborne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Member Relations Analyst"

Former Employee - Member Relations Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Member Relations Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at TechAmerica part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People there were fun to work with, interns were from around the country, great interaction. They always have work to do for interns (I was an intern)

Cons

When I was there, there were many layoffs and most of interns were hired to do work people were laid off for.

Advice to Management

Layoff people who don't contribute to your company and have a strategic approach to do things at your association

2. "Lack of management leads to decline of value."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at TechAmerica full-time

Pros

If the management problem (lack of) could be rectified, TechAmerica could be a great place to work. The technology realm is exciting and full of great potential -- but as an association without leadership -- it's currently just drifting along.

Cons

Most of their national offices have been shuttered. They shrank from a total of 120 down to 30 or so employees with more reductions expected. Many association offerings have been eliminated or significantly downsized, disappointing many of the member companies. Unfortunately plenty of low morale among remaining staff, with most looking for career opportunities elsewhere. Meanwhile executive leadership is trying to make-up for the personnel shortage with plenty of college interns to fill staffing needs. Hopefully the association will pull through.

Advice to Management

Need new and informed executive leadership!

3. "Good People, Good Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

Had the pleasure of interning at TechAmerica back in 2010 and I feel that I was able to learn a lot.

Cons

I didn't get paid except for a minuscule stipend, which hardly offset the cost of living in D.C. for three months to work with them.

Advice to Management

Seems to me to be a good place to work, especially while in the fast paced environment of Washington D.C.

4. "Great people, bad leadership"

I worked at TechAmerica full-time

Pros

The organization continued to attract great staff as the leadership went from good to good to bad. Very bright people worked with great members to be successful despite no support from the leadership.

Cons

The board was completely out of touch with the organization especially when they hired the last CEO. There was zero understanding of the environment that the organization was in and what was needed to be successful.

5. "Needed change"

I worked at TechAmerica (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of flexibility and there were some great people working there that had a lot of talent.

Cons

Low pay and there was so much turnover. There wasn't enough stability and being bought out was the best thing that could have happened.

Advice to Management

Reward hard-workers and be clear about financial position of the company and try to keep staff that are smart.

6. "CEO that ruined TechAmerica is FINALLY gone! Two years too late!"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at TechAmerica (More than a year)

Pros

I joined this organization because I believed in it's mission and what management presented to me as fact. I was told two years ago that TechAmerica was sound financially, was the leading tech policy group in the country, and was greatly respected within the industry. This ALL turned out to be completely false.

Cons

I have been in the workforce for only 8 years since graduating college, but I have never experienced a company (directly or indirectly) that was more poorly managed. The CEO, Shawn Osborne, was the worst executive and leader imaginable. He had absolutely no clue whatsoever on how to treat employees or members, and completely ruined any chance of TechAmerica surviving. He lost most of our top members and staff because of his poor leadership, lack of vision and experience.

Advice to Management

Well, TechAmerica is essentially dead. CompTIA, a great organization, although greatly lacking in the "policy clout" arena from what I'm told, has acquired the few remaining staff. Much like any acquisition that retains the name of the acquired, any semblance of the TechAmerica will soon disappear. It's incredibly unfortunate that the board of TechAmerica let a once strong and respected organization fail by not only hiring the wrong leader, but by keeping him employed when he clearly and systematically destroyed the org. Someone should be held accountable.

7. "Loyal and staying"

I have been working at TechAmerica full-time

Pros

Fantastic career opportunities, collaborative atmosphere, appreciation of staff contributions, exposure to executives, member companies, agency and government officials and an extremely smart group of colleagues.

Cons

Hours can be long during busy times, traffic isn't always cooperative, one or two miserable/disgruntled employees who spend more time slithering in the grass, writing multiple negative reviews on this and other sites than they do trying to be on board and part of the solution. If you're so unhappy you should leave amicably and not try to contaminate those that actually like where they work.

Advice to Management

Stay focused and moving the company forward. The vision is a good one.

8. "Very sad time for Techamerica"

I have been working at TechAmerica full-time

Pros

Techamerica was once the most powerful tech advocacy group in the country. They once employed a talented group of committed staff and claimed a membership in the thousands.

Cons

Today Techamerica represents an estimated 250 members, and according to recent press they continued to decline in membership, revenue and staff. It's also extremely sad when the only people saying goods things about an organization are interns. Over the past two years management has terminated, or pushed out, all key employees and treated remaining staff like dirt. Not to mention the well publicized legal issues facing the organization.

Advice to Management

At what point does the board realize that they have have made the wrong decision with the current management of this organization? If it's not already completely evident, you need to replace your CEO immediately, although most believe it's too late.

9. "Needs to Change Course Immediately"

I worked at TechAmerica full-time

Pros

Great issues. Used to be a great organization and have some of the best and brightest tech association employees. Dwindling resources are causing an issue. The Association has great internships that allow hands on experiences for college students. Unfortunately, they have to rely on the interns because Management is not adequately staffing the association.

Cons

Sadly, new management has driven the Association into the ground. Management Is constantly downsizing and not replacing people. Good quality employees are leaving. The have not replaced senior management that left and there is little reason to believe they will do it anytime soon. Management is not helpful with driving policy issues or developing key relationships to drive the Association forward.

Advice to Management

Understand what you don't know and rely on those that do.

10. "Sad collapse of an organization"

I have been working at TechAmerica full-time

Pros

Interesting members and policy positions

Cons

No clear vision. Keeps letting staff go and then hiring other staff with less experience. Basically a few key staff with unpaid interns. Members are leaving and come committees are floundering without staff assistance.

Advice to Management

Communicate. Give staff respect and keep promises. Replace upper management.