Telesystem Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2018

2.1
John Martin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good company for somone looking to stay in the same salary range, great job security and very low stress."

Current Employee - Voice Engineer in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Voice Engineer in Toledo, OH

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, jobs are outlined well, tasks are outlined well and you have plenty of time and space to accomplish your work. Very "family" feel to the majority of co-workers.

Cons

Nearly impossible to move up if you're not one of the "original" employees - cliquish and not enough focus on getting things right. Accountability is non existent for major outages during the day and during times when there should be no network changes being made. This makes for a bit of a contentious workplace between departments.

Advice to Management

Push to improve on a monthly basis, the NOC is vastly underutilized as well as unable to make mistakes transparent and accounted for.

2. "Making cuts but not executing"

I worked at Telesystem full-time

Pros

Still keeping their great work culture in tact even in hard times. Generally friendly people you work with

Cons

This company is slowly goes down the tubes.
     I would not advise coming to work here any time soon till the company shows some life again and starts actually bringing in new revenue to stay alive. They keep cutting good employees and letting others leave without replacing them. And asking others to make up the slack. No good signs here since 2016.... I'd probably steer clear if you are thinking of hoping on this boat with holes in it

Advice to Management

Execute?

Telesystem Response

May 23, 2018 – HR Representative

We want to take the time to thank you for your honest feedback. Hearing from our (past/present) employees is extremely valuable to ensure our continued growth and success. We are truly sorry that... More

3. "Going downhill?"

I worked at Telesystem full-time

Pros

Nice discount on buckeye broadband services. Nice work culture. Everyone has a nice positive outlook. Bosses are generally nice

Cons

Your salary is always 15-25% LESS than at other telecommunication companies and you'll never catch up because the raises are yearly and miniscule. Health insurance coverage now twice as expensive. Even the Buckeye Broadband service discount is slowly getting less and less....Pretty much every perk of working here is dwindling away and causing people to leave here. This review is written in 2018 so hopefully things change for the better from here. But so far its been a downhill spiral since Q2 2016. And no signs of getting any better

4. "A lot of career potential - if you're part of the boys club"

I worked at Telesystem full-time

Pros

Exciting field of technology, customer interaction and "little guy" marketing in a big world against giant competitors. This company could be huge if the senior management would let it. Decent benefits (7/10).

Cons

Far too much tenured, entitled behavior. Promotions not based on your actual skills or talents. Far too much a "boys club". If you want to advance here, be prepared to be pious to senior management. Taking or feigning interest in whatever sporting event happened recently is helpful, too, as management principles are based on sports analogies - think Biff and the big game. Hiring practices are abysmal. Job descriptions contain almost no information on what you'll be doing and full of propaganda, rah-rah, who-we-are cheerleading. Toxic environment listening to all of the politics *all the time*. Sales people are stuck in a rut. "Great company - they'll never pay you."

Advice to Management

Get past the popularity contests. Quit nickel-and-diming the place. Look at other industry job descriptions, and advertise meaningful job descriptions instead of propaganda. If you want geeks, think about what a geek is looking for, not an English major. Quit working everyone to death and then wonder why morale is low.
    Quit asking about morale. If you (the boss) ask how things are, people are going to tell you what they think you want to hear. Face that fact and another way. Get over the sports analogies. Kill the political commentary. We're trying to get some work done here. Find a way to either *strongly encourage* sales people to get out of their rut or remove/replace them.

Telesystem Response

Apr 5, 2017

We appreciate the feedback that you have provided. At Telesystem, we strive to create an open door environment to allow such feedback to be given at any time. In the event that this does not occur... More

5. "Family feel, but with growing pains."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

I worked at Telesystem full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you've got the people skills and find the opportunity to get the face time with management, you can really go far with that company. A lot of the people really care about what they do, and want to make it a great place to work. The majority of the upper management were people who really made me feel like part of a family. In ten years, I felt challenged, but not overburdened. There were times that I was stuck in positions where it seemed like I was underutilized, but not for more than a year or two until I could move into something much better.

Cons

If you're stuck working nights/weekends/grunt work, or you're more technically oriented than a social butterfly you'll find yourself stuck in the same place for years on end. There is an unfortunate myopia to their hiring and compensation practices though, which leads them to miss out on good candidates, and an inability to keep talent when faced with the challenge of paying them what the market can offer. In numerous conversations with directors, vice presidents and the president himself, I often heard the same argument that they couldn't afford to pay more than what was the going rate for the Toledo area, but in the same breath they would claim they needed to attract the best and brightest from around the world.

Sadly, as intelligent as John Martin is, and as good as he is at digesting the market and culture of the businesses around Telesystem, I feel like he'd be a much more valuable player in a position where he wasn't making snap decisions about the future that the products and lines of business that company will take. There have been too many meetings where the majority of attendees sit silently because they don't want to be snapped at by him, or say the wrong thing just to quickly be told they're wrong because John had another line of converastion all ready to get into.

Advice to Management

I truly hope management can stop promoting the almost-competent from within. Maybe with their recent acquisitions it will spread things out enough that the organization will be able to grow, and it will force the management structure to grow up a bit with it..