Tempus Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Tempus CEO Juan Pablo Carriedo
Juan Pablo Carriedo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Solid Financial Institution with Significant Potential for Growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Tempus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location, amazing work experience, and nice co-workers. Some of the best people I have had in a work environment. Work/life balance is great, as well. Head traders are regularly recognized by major financial media outlets, such as Bloomberg and Reuters.

Cons

Room for growth only appears as opportunities arise. No true career ladder for all positions within the company. Tenure is used as a means for recognition and promotion, which overlooks the talent and hard work for less tenured employees who are more qualified, educated and capable.

Advice to Management

Incorporate ways to further incentive and recognize employees who put in the extra hours. Tenure should not exclusively be used as a means for promotion or recognition.

2. "BDA"

Pros

Free food on Fridays and great location

Cons

It's a childish work environment with dishonest senior management

Advice to Management

Be more mature, transparent and honest

3. "Learn and Get Out!! False Advertisement"

Former Employee - Foreign Exchange Sales Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Foreign Exchange Sales Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Tempus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work there is because you will develop skills and knowledge about foreign exchange. Also, free food on Fridays and they do try to do activities for the company but to be honest all that is still not enough. I'm not a former disgruntled employee I'm just speaking facts about this company.

Cons

There are so many cons at this work place its not funny. First and foremost let me point out that any positive ratings you see from current employees are about 99.99% false and they were probably asked to rate Tempus with a positive score. So let me number the cons for you and if you decide to work for them after this don't say this review didn't warn you.

1. This is a sales job and nothing more than that. Unless it says IT or Compliance its a straight Sales Job!!!

2. The pay is horrible!! You can make more working at McDonalds. Seriously the pay is around 30K to 35K. They have always try to find a way to decrease your commission.

3. They honestly fire people for the dumbest things and also make it pretty public in the way they let people go. They let one guy go in the middle of day and pretty much made it public the way they did it.

4. The don't have the right tools or technology to compete with competitors like Western Union, Cambridge, and etc.

5. The goals they set are unrealistic and they always threaten your job

6. Senior Management have no real direction. The CEO comes in just to collect a check and he has no sales experience to know what the sales team goes through .

7. Now I'm sure they probably changed a few things but when I worked there they used us to call outbound call prospects for upper level associates and they get the client and the money

8. Don't work here unless you're desperate for money or your unemployment runs out

9. You at least have to make 80 to 100 calls per day to get a prospect qualified.
    Qualified meaning knowing they do FX, which type of currencies, how much FX they do monthly or annually, whose the decision maker that will give final sign off to do business, get their e-mail & contact information, and find out who they currently work with. Sound easy right? Wrong!!! You get a lot of hang ups, you have to talk to people who don't know your company and don't want to do business with you, not comfortable giving information to you, and get them qualified is only the first step. The other process leads to you calling them to the point you annoy them.

10. There's no career movement. It is a small company so don't expect much. Again its a sales company so don't to move up the ladder unless if someone quits or get fired and they give you their accounts.

11. You have to wait two years to get raise!!! What a joke!!

12. Certain people in the company get overpaid for no reason when other people in the company do more work and get paid less.

I could keep going but I hope you understand to not work for this company.

Seriously do not work for this company. Go to a competitor. If you do decide to work for this company learn and get out. So many people do better when they leave. Do not get comfortable.

Advice to Management

A. Pay more!!! Seriously 30k to 35k is considered minimum wage.

B. Treat your employee that work hard with raises

C. Just sell the company!!!

Tempus Response

Oct 23, 2017 – Marketing

We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback.

Our intention is, and has always been, to cultivate a fair, transparent, and enjoyable environment for our employees; I am truly sorry... More

4. "Fun/Fair Work Environment"

Current Employee - Junior Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Junior Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Tempus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of old/negative reviews, but I expect those are from disgruntled employees. Since I've started upper management has made huge strides towards opening communication and creating a fun/fair atmosphere. There are a lot of opportunities at Tempus, it just takes one's initiative to take advantage of them.

Cons

Training could have been more thorough and encompassing. There is a lot to learn, and while learning on the job can be fun, it is sometimes stressful as sometimes you're not ready for certain situations that could arise.

5. "Consultant"

I have been working at Tempus full-time

Pros

This is a wonderful organization to develop and grow your skill set. The overall vibe of the office is a close-knit, team-orientated, semi-startup feel. There is room to grow within the firm and try your hand doing different things, but these are mostly lateral moves. The highlight is the work/life balance, once you leave the office you very seldom have to think about work. Tempus also offers nice perks like free Friday lunches, and leaving at 4pm on Fridays.

Cons

While there is great communication between employees, there seems to be a disconnect between us and upper management.

Advice to Management

Communication is key and there should be continuous efforts to improve/ develop this.

6. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Tempus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work. The staff is very intelligent and works well with each other and clients. We are very detailed and everyone helps each other.

Cons

We are moving forward into the digital age and there have been some challenges.

Advice to Management

Communication is key

7. "Excellent place - promotes from within"

I have been working at Tempus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team oriented culture. Management looks to promote from within. Positive work atmosphere. Excellent work/life balance and no expectation to stay in touch in evenings

Cons

Open office set up is not for everyone. Downtown location, but Metro accessible.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote from within, use strict measurements for evaluating employees focused on objectives

8. "Good people with lots of autonomy"

I have been working at Tempus full-time

Pros

People are great and young, so the company has a cool startup feel. Encourage autonomy for all employees. The sales department is able to prospect however they think is best. All departments are open to suggestions from anyone. When you leave the office you really leave the work behind you. No late nights or early emails!

Cons

DC traffic is killer. Not much room for career growth or building leadership skills. Currently, there is no head of sales which is leading to confusion in the direction of the company. Communication and transparency between departments could be better.

Advice to Management

Hire a head of sales ASAP

9. "Wouldn't Reccommend"

I have been working at Tempus full-time

Pros

The office space is beautiful.

Cons

Upper management does not care about people or set realistic goals.

Advice to Management

Fire people

10. "Eh"

I worked at Tempus full-time

Pros

Free food on fridays, and pretty nice break room that comes with a ping pong table

Cons

Lots of people are fake, two faced, management sucks with no consistency between various managers on employee goals. Pay is also terrible. Woke up multiple mornings dreading going to work

Advice to Management

Do better