TerpSys Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ed Woods

Pros
  • Outward Bound was great, and was an opportunity to learn life skills, not just work (in 7 reviews)

• In addition you can take off for community service events during the work week and still get paid (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • All hands staff meetings weren't my favorite (in 6 reviews)

• A normal work day consists of hearing other techs make extremely inappropriate jokes and sit at their cubicles and talk about other co-workers (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great company with opportunities for advancement within"

I worked at TerpSys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great CEO and Board, and co-workers. Excellent benefits. Lots of opportunities to learn and advance based on merit.

Cons

Certain limitations of govt contracts.

"Micro Manage employees"

I worked at TerpSys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were nice. Good location.

Cons

Low pay. Micro-manage employees. No cubicles sat in a long table co-wrokers sat next to you or across from you.

"Delight, Challenge, and Serve"

I worked at TerpSys full-time

Pros

The TerpSys mission is to Delight Our Customers, Challenge Ourselves, and Serve Our Community. While I was there, I had the opportunity to participate in several Outward Bound Professional Leadership programs, take technical and leadership trainings, participate in many community service events, and support the important mission of many of our customers.

Many staff members were very committed to the mission of the company. It was not a place for everyone as there was an expectation to constantly improve yourself through trainings and certifications. At the height of the company's size, there were staff members who were fresh out of college and staff members who had been in their careers for 30+ years.

I read about one former employee's claiming to be fired for being gay. As a former employee of TerpSys, who was opening gay, I found this accusation to be absurd. To give my background, I worked under the leadership of the CEO from July 1998 when we were a division of another company until January 2015 when I left due to contract changes. There was never an issue with my being gay for the entirety of my career with TerpSys.

In 2002, my then boyfriend (now husband) joined the company. In 2011, the CEO celebrated our wedding (as he did with all weddings and other significant life events) at the monthly staff meeting following our wedding. My husband is still currently employed with TerpSys.

I served on the management team for a couple of stints and throughout the years there were gay and lesbian managers on the management team. Our teammates and managers were always very open and accepting. I NEVER felt any kind of discrimination from any of our coworkers or managers throughout our employment (nor did my husband).

Cons

Due to the current size, there are limited growth opportunities and benefits available compared to years past.
    When I was there, it was not uncommon for gossip to run rampant on the major contracts.

Advice to Management

Keep delighting, challenging, and serving. Corporate culture is in an important part of the company, so keep it as an integral part of who TerpSys is.

"Wonderful President and Corporate Values"

Current Employee - Principal Software Developer in Olney, MD
    Current Employee - Principal Software Developer in Olney, MD

I have been working at TerpSys (More than 10 years)

Pros

At TerpSys, you get to work for a Company President who will be tops on your list of people you admire. He greatly values employees, clients, and the community. There is a wonderful work/life balance at TerpSys. Management cares about your life, not just about your productivity. TerpSys always tries to delight its clients.

Cons

The company is much smaller than it used to be and as a result, each employee is very busy without much slack.

"Company lost its luster"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Pros

Great benefits, corporate giving, work/life management

Cons

Company lost major contract and laid off majority of its staff.

6. "A great place to work and learn"

Former Employee - Service Desk Manager in Bethesda, MD

I worked at TerpSys full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A team environment, a lot of knowledgeable people. A sharing mentality so you can learn from others and advance.
    Outward Bound was great, and was an opportunity to learn life skills, not just work. Had compressed work schedule which was great. Benefits package with insurance was good.

Cons

It was difficult to advance sometimes. Lost a large contract, which affected the company's outcome. But they are working to get more contracts.

"Middle of the road company, plays favoritism often."

I worked at TerpSys full-time

Pros

-Great President/CEO
    -Good benefits
    -Flexible scheduling
    -Free gear/clothing
    -Great mission statement as a company
    -Equal Opportunity Employer
    -Great co-workers for the most part.

Cons

-Low salary range compared to competitors
    -Incompetent managers (some, not all)
    -Cult-like atmosphere
    -Redundant staff meetings
    -High turnover on employees

TerpSys is an equal opportunity employer with a mission to "delight, challenge, and serve" it's customers. However, often the companys hold this motive way too high in regard that they forget about their actual employees. This is the reason there is such a high turnover rate of employees.

Although most of the employees are great colleagues and hard workers in the actual environment, they are are already favored or blackballed as soon as they walk in the door.

Employees become managers because of the cult like environment. If you suck up enough and and go to all of the weekend events, you will find yourself on abgreat path. Often the employees who bust their tail at the job site and leave work when it is time to go home end up not lasting for more then a few years (shocking, not really).

It does not matter how hard the employee works, if you are friends on personal level with a manager, you will stay. Luckily karma reared its ugly head and The company lost it's major contract at the end of 2013. It forced employees to either leave or join the new contract.

Advice to Management

Forego to unecessary staff meetings. You spend way too much time discussing anniversaries of employees when you should actually be awarding and recognizing your employees for their hard work.

Stop forcing employees to go to your company outings and events, which you suddenly deem required at the time of your reviews.

Make your managers actually go to the secluded contract sites too see how hard working those employees are. Compensate those hard working employees with raises and bonuses and stop putting a base salary system that they will never get out of.

Give manager position to actual employees that deserve it and maybe youl willl get rewarded with a large contract in the future.

"Cultish environment, high school-like cliques, arrogant and out-of-touch management."

Former Employee - Computer Analyst in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Computer Analyst in Bethesda, MD

I worked at TerpSys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tuition and certification exam reimbursement, clothing, fair benefits and vacation package, good folks working in the trenches.

Cons

Management plays the "favorites" game, only anointed individuals get promotional opportunities, dead-end career paths for many individuals, management arrogance and inability to recognize contributions of all staff, not just the chosen few.

Advice to Management

Don't assume that it's everyone else that only make mistakes. No one is infallible.

"Great step in the right direction"

Current Employee - Computer Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Computer Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at TerpSys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This place saved my life. You think I am kidding. I had been stuck in an industry that I hated for 9 years and couldn't get out no matter how much I tried, I kept falling back in. The CEO of Terpsys took a chance on me and Ill never look back. What a great company. Sure it has pitfalls but anyone who thinks any job wont is kidding themselves.

Cons

As many have pointed out the company lost a major contract held for 15 years and that caused chaos. Most got offered jobs with the new company and some jumped ship entirely. In the melee that followed some of the best benefits Terpsys once had took a nosedive. No more certification reimbursement, tuition assistance and some of the incentives. That said, I am optimistic they will return at some point as the company regains its footing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Wish there were more companies like this. Focus on bringing back the certification reimbursements, even if it is on a limited basis - say 1 paid cert per year - after that you're on your own. This was a major perk and it helped one stomach the slightly lower pay than the current market demands for this industry. It would really help. The culture is there - every day is another step forward!

"Fired for being gay"

I worked at TerpSys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits. If you kiss up and walk the walk and give up your personal life to join the cult, then you can get promoted easily.

Cons

Cult, cult, cult. If you don't drink the koolaid you will only be able to work there a couple years. You must give up your former personal life and devote most weekends and evenings to "company events". And the low-level managers are bad. When I once casually acknowledged that I had a "partner", he asked around about me to a co-worked, when he confirmed I was gay he gave me 90 days to leave.