Tesco Controls Reviews | Glassdoor

Shain Thomas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Company"

Current Employee - I&C Engineer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Tesco Controls full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Tesco for a short time and am only leaving due to personal reasons. I would recommend Tesco to anyone. It is a very stable and growing company. The ESOP is something new to me but it is a great thing. No other companies I have worked at have offered this.

Their training program is being worked on to get better. I loved the idea of working a period of time in the shop prior to doing engineering work. You build relationships and can see what the shop guys have to deal with on a daily basis.

Cons

The only con to me is the training program. This is something they are working on and it is getting better. It is great that they have recognized this and are fixing it.

"Tesco is a great place to work, but there is a tremendous amount of work to be done!"

Current Employee - Engineer, Electrical in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer, Electrical in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Tesco Controls full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging work in all departments, lots of long term employees, customer focused organization that values long term relationships with customers and employees, Employee-Owned, Stock Program, 401k, lots of employee events, good pay and fair benefits, family atmosphere, golf culture, some very talented people

Cons

Amazing growth has created a tremendous amount of projects that haven't been finished (some are years behind schedule and the leadership on those projects is almost nonexistent). Executive management only cares about themselves and the gross sales numbers, they could care less about how complicated and poorly designed some of the projects are. Fairly new management team created when a salesman was promoted to CEO and they are struggling due to lack of management experience and training. There are now almost 300 employees, but only a handful of people who can actually complete the technical parts of the work. Kinda scary!!

Advice to Management

Plan your projects better and follow your plan. Get some management training and get more cohesive as a management team. The rest of the company takes its lead from you guys and when we see you guys fight and yell at each other openly, it teaches us that fighting and yelling is acceptable in this culture. Quit blaming each other and work collectively to plan and execute projects, not just as a departmental silo that only cares about their part of the project. Incentivize teams on a project by project and recognize that your technical employees will find work elsewhere if you consistently overload them with work. Any business is only as good as its best employees and Tesco's best people keep leaving the company. You need to look really hard at why those people are leaving and do something about that before you get yourselves in a whole world of hurt!

"BEST so far"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Tesco Controls (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible family atmosphere; lots of company sponsored events; highly knowledgeable workforce and leadership; full of genuinely friendly and caring people; honest feedback; values new ideas; super stable and growing company; very human place to work! Employee Owned, so no outside shareholders calling all the shots.

Cons

Busy work load - not the EASIEST job in the world; daily challenges that require problem solving; lots of different management styles and overall diversity - must be adaptable and open minded.

Advice to Management

The workforce is changing - becoming more techy and focused on recognition and upward movement; start brainstorming now on how to attract and retain the next generation! Maybe encourage more mentorship or career mapping?

"Purchasing"

Former Employee - Buyer/Planner in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Buyer/Planner in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Tesco Controls full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company is an ESOP (Employee Owned Company)

Cons

Mid-level Managers are incompetent and should be terminated.

"EVERYTHING IS A LIE!!!"

Former Employee - On the Floor in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - On the Floor in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Tesco Controls full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The good things about working there is they have alot of activity for employees to get involved. That's the only good things I can remember working there.

Cons

The employees are fake they pretend to be your friends and they back STAB you! Don't trust anyone there. They will climb the ladder anyway they CAN! STOP forcing your employees to work like they are nothing! If you don't follow there rules you will be treated different and they will make you feel like a outsider! All I have to said is work there and you will see what's going on!!! They play favoritism (ALOT) and LOW PAY with penny's raise!!

Advice to Management

The Management is all FAKE too. They don't care about you. Stop over working them like there's no tomorrow!

"A great company to work for and still room to grow."

Current Employee - Faculty Maintenance in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Faculty Maintenance in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Tesco Controls full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff and the workers are very friendly people to work with, I love it here.

Cons

How can you think of anything bad with a growing company that will continue to grow.

Advice to Management

I will do my best to keep everything running smoothly.

"Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Tesco Controls full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great! Employee ownership gives you a sense of pride in the work that you do. It's a growing company and there have been a lot of positive changes in the last year. Reviews and raises happen annually and employee surveys are being conducted to improve company culture. Employee morale is up and at least once a month there is something fun for employees like free lunch from food trucks, ice cream socials, coffee company brought in to make drinks and monthly birthday and anniversary recognition.

Cons

The company is growing fast and there is a constant need to hire new employees and sometimes good people are hard to find.

Advice to Management

I like the changes that are being made. There is more collaboration between department managers which is good.

"Growing and Successful Company"

Current Employee - I&C Engineer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Tesco Controls full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent group of people to work with. Benefits and perks are better than what companies of similar size provide. It is a family oriented place. TESCO is an employee owned company which is growing and has a steady and responsible balance sheet. ESOP plan (company stock distributed to each employee every year) has been growing over the years.

Cons

There is a lack of training and cross-training of employees. Departments are slow to adapt to change and resist change in how things are done even if new methods are better. Growth opportunities within certain departments of the company are very limited. Salaries are below what industry pays.

Advice to Management

Over last couple of years management has made great improvements on how business was done. Please keep on improving. Should management allow and encourage employees to grow to their full potential? Should management notice and recognize employees who go well beyond of what they are paid to do?

"So disappointing!"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Tesco Controls full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees are hard working, and very genuine people. They were a fun group to work with. That's just about all I can come up with. Everything else was horrible.

Cons

The senior management is completely corrupt. They convinced me in the interview process that they were honest and cared about doing the right thing but I quickly realized after starting my job that it was all an act. They hire production employees as temp workers and then work them 6 days a week and over 60 hours and see if they can break the employees. If the temp employee puts up with being abused then they will hire them as regular employees. They talk down to everyone and don't give a crap about burning employees out. The senior management held secret meetings to discuss the lower management employees behind their backs. And they had zero integrity. I was instructed to do things I felt uncomfortable doing and when I questioned things they terminated me.

Advice to Management

My only advice is a major change in the entire senior management structure. They have 2 people acting as the CEO... Which is not productive.

"Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Assembler in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Assembler in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Tesco Controls full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good group of people hard workers

Cons

learning how to read blueprints

Advice to Management

not getting support from upper management